There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,502
    edited June 2023

colcurve said:

i think they used to activate shortly before day switch. i will try again in a few hours. :)

Yes, they used to do that when Jack Tomalin was in control. But when DAZ took over more management control several months ago they stoped activating them early. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • colcurvecolcurve Posts: 147

oh ok. pity my cart is at 87% off. additional 30% off via coupon would have been cool

edited June 2023

colcurve said:

oh ok. pity my cart is at 87% off. additional 30% off via coupon would have been cool

The DAZ+ monthly coupons aren't 30% off. They each are a flat $6.00 off. Anyway there will probably be something else during July that you want and can use the coupons on.

• Anthony_ChristianAnthony_Christian Posts: 43
    edited June 2023

Charlie Judge said:

Anthony_Christian said:

Is anyone getting the extra 30% off to work on this current sale? I see items on my wish list added before June 30th that are already discounted but putting them in my cart does not give an extra 30% off....

Yes. I am seeing 30% on items that are not new and 10% on new items. 

Are your items not new ant not in Fast Grab?

They are not, the items in question are already 40% off but adding them to my cart does not take an additional 30%, taking them up to 70%... Instead It adds an extra 18% off, Making them 58% ....so confusing.

Post edited by Anthony_Christian on
  • XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 226
    edited June 2023

Anthony_Christian said:

Charlie Judge said:

Anthony_Christian said:

Is anyone getting the extra 30% off to work on this current sale? I see items on my wish list added before June 30th that are already discounted but putting them in my cart does not give an extra 30% off....

They are not, the items in question are already 40% off but adding them to my cart does not take an additional 30%, taking them up to 70%... Instead It adds an extra 18% off, Making them 58% ....so confusing.

The confusion you are encountering is because you don't understand that DAZ extra/additional discounts are based on deminishing returns.  When you take off an additional 30%, you are taking the 30% off of what is left after subtracting your previous discount.  So if you had a $100 item and it was 40% off, the new price would be $60 because 40% was removed from the orginal $100.  Now if you take off an additional 30%, it is taken from the $60 as that is how much the item price is.  Since 30% of $60 is $18, $18 is subtracted from the $60 price point.  That changes the price of the $60 item to $42.  The total price discounted from the original undiscounted price is $58, so the total % saved is 58%.

If the daz discounts were cumulative( stacks number for number), then DAZ would often be giving everything away for free or paying us to take the items.  I have had a bunch of times where I had 60% off, plus an additional 20% off, plus an additional 10% off, plus an additional 30% off, plus another additional 30% off.  If it was cumulative, the discount would have been 150% off, but instead each additional discount is applied to the "newest" item price after the previous discount was applied.

The calculation can get tricky, so I always find it easiest when dealing with the % discounts, to apply them in order of largest discount first with smallest discount last.  So in my previous example, 60% from full price, 30% off the new price, 30% off that new price, 20% of the next new price, then finally removed the last 10%.

Post edited by XiousDs on
  • stelaristelari Posts: 77

Anthony_Christian said:

Charlie Judge said:

Anthony_Christian said:

Discounts are not applied all together on the original price, they're applied one after the other. For example, a $100 item with 40% off ($100 -> $60), then 30% off the new value ($60 -> $42) for a total of 58% off the original. Almost all Daz % discounts work this way.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,161
    edited June 2023

Anthony_Christian said:

Charlie Judge said:

Anthony_Christian said:

It's 30% on top of the discounted price, not 70% (40% + 30%).

So, if an item is $10 (to keep math easy), and discounted by 40% it's $6, the next discount (30%) is counted on the 6$, bringing it down to $4.2. It's not 70% off $10 which would give you $3.

Edit: I see I'm the third person responding. Thumbs up for fellow helpful forum users!

Post edited by joanna on
  • colcurvecolcurve Posts: 147

hi all yes i know. i said additional 30% because coupon works when cart is $18 or more. for maximum efficiency use coupon with a cart of $18.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,814

One still gets 10% discount on Gift Cards

• XiousDs said:

Anthony_Christian said:

Charlie Judge said:

Anthony_Christian said:

The confusion you are encountering is because you don't understand that DAZ extra/additional discounts are based on deminishing returns.  When you take off an additional 30%, you are taking the 30% off of what is left after subtracting your previous discount.  So if you had a $100 item and it was 40% off, the new price would be $60 because 40% was removed from the orginal $100.  Now if you take off an additional 30%, it is taken from the $60 as that is how much the item price is.  Since 30% of $60 is $18, $18 is subtracted from the $60 price point.  That changes the price of the $60 item to $42.  The total price discounted from the original undiscounted price is $58, so the total % saved is 58%.

If the daz discounts were cumulative( stacks number for number), then DAZ would often be giving everything away for free or paying us to take the items.  I have had a bunch of times where I had 60% off, plus an additional 20% off, plus an additional 10% off, plus an additional 30% off, plus another additional 30% off.  If it was cumulative, the discount would have been 150% off, but instead each additional discount is applied to the "newest" item price after the previous discount was applied.

The calculation can get tricky, so I always find it easiest when dealing with the % discounts, to apply them in order of largest discount first with smallest discount last.  So in my previous example, 60% from full price, 30% off the new price, 30% off that new price, 20% of the next new price, then finally removed the last 10%.

I see! That makes total sense now, thank you! The wording around these sales is really less then helpful, but of course the discounts don't stack. Why would they? That last wishlist sale felt way more like a deal then this one does but I no longer remember the terms which were making things more heavily discounted then they appear to be now. Oh well. I guess I'll sit on this cart until the prices drop to something reasonable again. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,764
    edited June 2023

Charlie Judge said:

colcurve said:

i think they used to activate shortly before day switch. i will try again in a few hours. :)

Yes, they used to do that when Jack Tomalin was in control. But when DAZ took over more management control several months ago they stoped activating them early. 

...so Jack is no longer involved, that would explain a few things, and why there have been no posts by him here.. The June and October PC+/Daz+ sales used to be my favourites as members received more discounts than this year. Now they've just become "another" typical convoluted Daz sale.

Looking more and more like this will be my last Daz+ membership.

BTW pension deposit didn't drop today so done purchasing anything until at least Monday  Going to be a rough weekend.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 226

Anthony_Christian said:

XiousDs said:

Anthony_Christian said:

Charlie Judge said:

Anthony_Christian said:

I see! That makes total sense now, thank you! The wording around these sales is really less then helpful, but of course the discounts don't stack. Why would they? That last wishlist sale felt way more like a deal then this one does but I no longer remember the terms which were making things more heavily discounted then they appear to be now. Oh well. I guess I'll sit on this cart until the prices drop to something reasonable again. 

The first day of Daz wish list sale was the best because it had 40% off any items that had already been added to your wishlist, 20% off whole cart, an extra 10% off new stuff that was DO, an extra 20% off new stuff that was not DO, AND it had the good starting discounts the friends of sale and the rotating discounts during the day.  There was a LOT of potential overlap, so if the other stuff combined AND you had it wishlisted, you had some great discount opportunities.

edited June 2023

kyoto kid said:

Charlie Judge said:

colcurve said:

...so Jack is no longer involved, that would explain a few things, and why there have been no posts by him here.. The June and October PC+/Daz+ sales used to be my favourites as members received more discounts than this year. Now they've just become "another" typical convoluted Daz sale.

Looking more and more like this will be my last Daz+ membership.

BTW pension deposit didn't drop today so done purchasing anything until at least Monday  Going to be a rough weekend.

Jack is still involved with DAZ+ but now that he is officially a staff member he has different DAZ+ duties than he had before. 

• Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 454

There doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement for today's deals unless people are just busy with the holiday weekend rather than DAZ shopping.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,170
    edited July 2023

Well I guess there was never a sales extension as useless as this one. With the order from yesterday I had 14 tokens which are all useless and gone today. So no more 40% on the whole order. Why should I shop again today. Makes no sense at all.

OK, you may get a good discount on a large gift card. But I have shopped so much that I definitively need to cut on spendings and enjoy and use the stuff I bought over the last weeks. So I'm fine with the $30 I still have left in store credit and won't get any more to prevent myself from spending ;-)

But it was fun I have to say.

Post edited by Rod Wise Driggo on
  • mdingmding Posts: 1,175

@Rod Wise Driggo Yeah, it was a great sale which is definitely over now. I would like to know if this was like once in a lifetime, or if there will be comparable follow-ups?

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,170

As the thread says: There will always be another sale and I am pretty sure DAZ marketing will come up with new ideas to get our money soon. This sale was better than March Madness IMO, let's see what the PA and DAZ+ sales later the year will bring. But I'll need to financially recover first.

Might still grab some stuff from my Rendo-wishlist though as they do a complete store 50% sale right now which does work with the July Prime coupon for most products.

• In the course of this sale, and - to be honest - the token era in general - I have gotten so much cool new stuff to play with. But it's time to refocus on using all that stuff.

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Well I guess there was never a sales extension as useless as this one. With the order from yesterday I had 14 tokens which are all useless and gone today. So no more 40% on the whole order. Why should I shop again today. Makes no sense at all.

My thoughts exactly 

edited July 2023

The wishlist discount is still active, meaning you can get up to 86%  in DPFAD and over 80% (DOs) in friends of the sale if they are in your wishlist. I know, that is a big "if"...

Post edited by mding on
  • doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2023
    PerttiA said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

My thoughts exactly 

When tokens were reset to expire before the end of the week, I thought that we might see a D+FAD catch-up sale or some kind of high-discount gimmick for the weekend. Didn't expect "Same as yesterday, but no tokens!" :|
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • All the tokens were gone, a few hours before the deadline.

• no noseno nose Posts: 304

welp I saw this coming, gonna wait for July 4th for when the sale comes back

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 296

Oh well, time to have a hard talk with my wallet about the ongoing Steam sale now :D

• NathNath Posts: 2,737

It's been a fun sale all in all - concentrated on my wishlist for all offers, deleted a few things from the list as well, and it's down to 17. Time to render stuff now.

mding said:

The wishlist discount is still active, meaning you can get up to 86%  in DPFAD and over 80% (DOs) in friends of the sale if they are in your wishlist. I know, that is a big "if"...

Instead of getting the same items yesterday for 92% off and 88% off... Not much of a bargain.

PerttiA said:

mding said:

Instead of getting the same items yesterday for 92% off and 88% off... Not much of a bargain.

True, but if you forgot sth you need soon, it is still tempting imo (e.g. $2,79 instead of $2.39 yesterday). The main sale is over of course. 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited July 2023

I just wanted to note that about the only thing that had me slightly excited in this year's June Daz+ sale was the extra discount for wishlist items.  The extra 30-40% off was enough to get me to clear a few items off of my wishlist.  If it hadn't been for that and one other moment last month, I would have mostly bypassed this year's June Daz+ sale altogether.

I'm already on the record as saying that I thought that the whole token thing was punishing longtime customers that now shop occasionally instead of daily.  There's still stuff that a lot of us 'older' customers may want, but we also remember the deals of years past.

I for one am glad that tokens are now gone, and am hoping that they stay gone, in favor of more straightforward sales/discounts.  And I hope that this year's October Daz+ sale is more like the one we had in October 2022 instead of what just happened. 

I also have noted that despite being a regular customer over the last few years, that there were a few offers that others received in recent weeks that I did not.  This again goes back to my comments before that as someone that's been shopping the Daz3D.com store for close to a decade now, that as a somewhat 'longtime' customer (there are longtime customers that have been her since the Victoria 1 days hence I don't quite feel right calling myself a longtime customer), I just wish that the Daz marketing team would show a little more appreciation for those of us that have been shopping here for a while now, and take our needs into account when building new sales. 

Sure, I get that they want to attract new customers too with shiny new offers, but us longer term customers have helped pay many salaries at Daz, as well as supported numerous PAs over the years since it's beginning, and it'd be nice if us 'long term' customers weren't left in the dust in favor of whatever the latest sales/marketing fad is.

And, I'll request one more time, although this almost always falls on deaf ears, going forward KISS (Keep It Simple S*****) please!  The more straightforward the sale is, the more willing a number of us will be to support said sales!

Oh and if you want to get people really excited, well I miss the days of 30-40% or more gift cards.  These were rare, and it sounds like there was a glitch this week that I missed, but this is money that Daz can get 'up front' from us, and I'm more willing to spend store credit than to pull out my Credit Card, so a really decent gift card sale usually gets me hopping, and while 20% off (today's gift card sale) is better than nothing, we've had much better offers in the past, 'longer term' customers do remember such things.

Oh, and inflation is still a thing!  People are watching their pennies more closely these days, including us Daz customers!  We have less money to spare on Daz stuff, just like pretty much everyone else, so kindly adjust offers accordingly please!

My two cents.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • Erm... what's going on with the Lightening Deals?  Every time lately, it'll be something like 89% off on the page, but then 86% off in the cart - a seemingly small differennce that can actually make quite a difference.  What's going on?

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,161

Rod Wise Driggo said:

OK, you may get a good discount on a large gift card. But I have shopped so much that I definitively need to cut on spendings and enjoy and use the stuff I bought over the last weeks. So I'm fine with the $30 I still have left in store credit and won't get any more to prevent myself from spending ;-)

But it was fun I have to say.

There's also nothing new today to squeeze any interest. I scrolled through the promo page and my reaction was "saw this yesterday, saw that yesterday..." No new debut items, no rotation in D+FAD, and so on. The only new thing seems to be the gift card discount (with no buy-ins!).

This discussion has been closed.