There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only

Comments

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,307

Blando Calrissian said:

One of my pet peeves is when Daz puts an "add-on" item on sale during Day 1 and then places the original item on sale during Day 2, the opposite of how it would logically work.

Spotted a few today in BYOB: This living room (furniture for said living room was in yesterday's BYOB) and the venerable Car Roland (Iray add-on was yesterday)

Same here. And even though it's a common occurence, I still don't get the addons first, because it's not guaranteed that the main item will show up for the next BYOB. Last year, I was hoping for BYOB catchup (oh, I could see myself spending a lot of money in it), but it didn't happen, and I guess I shouldn't hold my breath this year either.

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 317

I enjoyed the Friday Flash sale.  I ended up getting $1255.08 worth of stuff for $60.06.  I had been looking at getting some of those gen 3 ironman bundles and sets for a long time.  $1.21 per was good enough for me to pull the trigger on 37 items plus the 4 aniversary Daz + bundles.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,911

XiousDs said:

Also, the BYOB category is a total joke in comparison to what it was last year.  Not only is it pretty much the exact same items over 6 months later from last years sale, but it is also 2x the price, being $5.99 instead of $2.99.  And it can't be reduced in price by tokens which makes no sense to me.  Many of the items in that category we could have bought for cheaper a few weeks ago with stacking discounts and coupons then the BYOB price.

If there's a BYOB catch-up that let's you select from all the items that were in this cathegory over the course of the entire sale I'll probably find 8 items I want, despite most of the selection being quite old.

But as it has been so far, I've ignored that part of the sale completely.

• theflarftheflarf Posts: 139

If the new stuff on sale isn't of interest, then the Daz+ for a Day bit isn't even worth considering for me, $5.99 is just to much for me to drop on stuff that's been significantly cheaper previously, and that i'm like 25/75 in favour of not really needing at the moment, there's no impulse buy for that price 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,708

What are y'all thinking of the Courtyard (https://www.daz3d.com/stone-mediterranean-courtyard)? It looks nice to me, and interesting, but there are some strange issues, like the handrails not quite matching up in one of the promos. Looks like there's a post or something missing. I don't have any experience with products from this vendor, unfortunately, so don't quite know what to make of that.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,954

...geez, they're still hyping Olympia 9 (now on the third day)  

Also something else has been nagging at me and I finally realised what it was, Usually during PC-...err...I mean Daz+ sales, all new releases were 40% off for members.

Oh and be careful waiting for Ketchup sales as prices for sales like BYOB and D+FAD tend to be higher.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,041

joanna said:

Blando Calrissian said:

One of my pet peeves is when Daz puts an "add-on" item on sale during Day 1 and then places the original item on sale during Day 2, the opposite of how it would logically work.

Spotted a few today in BYOB: This living room (furniture for said living room was in yesterday's BYOB) and the venerable Car Roland (Iray add-on was yesterday)

Same here. And even though it's a common occurence, I still don't get the addons first, because it's not guaranteed that the main item will show up for the next BYOB. Last year, I was hoping for BYOB catchup (oh, I could see myself spending a lot of money in it), but it didn't happen, and I guess I shouldn't hold my breath this year either.

Since I joined DAZ+, I missed a number of great offers because of the reverse flip of add-ons first, then the main product a day or week later. I learned to look at all items in a series if I could track them down and buy as I could, unless the base item was no longer sold. Be aware that texture sets can still be sold after the base item has been withdrawn from the store after the PA has left and not sold their store to DAZ. 

As for that set and its prop add-on, I can't think how many times I have used it in renders. It reminds me of a rowhouse I rented in England and is very realistic of the average English starter home of the later part of the 20th C. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,041
    edited June 2023

tsroemi said:

What are y'all thinking of the Courtyard (https://www.daz3d.com/stone-mediterranean-courtyard)? It looks nice to me, and interesting, but there are some strange issues, like the handrails not quite matching up in one of the promos. Looks like there's a post or something missing. I don't have any experience with products from this vendor, unfortunately, so don't quite know what to make of that.

I have it in my cart but went back to look at the promo shots. The rails on the steps appear to be laying on the edge of the steps, not anchored down. The ones on the balconies are flat against the balcony floors. I don't think they would pass safety codes in real life. Not sure how in 3D folks want make a decision on that point. I did like the angles of the set for varied renders, but I also have other sets like it already. As far as the PA, I have some of their sets, no real opinion, not used them much.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • mdingmding Posts: 1,217
    edited June 2023

@tsroemi:

Railings isolated (click to enlarge):

I like it, some nice details, but as in most environments you will have to work a bit on lighting, shaders and postwork to get where you want to.

For example the passage way on the left i would like to kitbash for an old city scene (composited in postwork):

The props are not accessible directly btw but have to be extrated from the environment, which is why i think its not for absolute beginners.

The download size is 1.1 gb. You get the environment, day and night settings. 9 cameras included.

ETA: I payed $10.28 with 8 tokens

p8.png
    1545 x 2000 - 2M
    p4.png
    834 x 1080 - 2M
    p3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    Post edited by mding on
  • memcneil70 said:

tsroemi said:

I have it in my cart but went back to look at the promo shots. The rails on the steps appear to be laying on the edge of the steps, not anchored down. The ones on the balconies are flat against the balcony floors. I don't think they would pass safety codes in real life. Not sure how in 3D folks want make a decision on that point. I did like the angles of the set for varied renders, but I also have other sets like it already. As far as the PA, I have some of their sets, no real opinion, not used them much.

A stretched cube coudl be placed between the bottom of the rails and the stonework at intervals, to stand in for fixing posts, and a sphere could be half-buried in the top-surface of the lower bar for a bolt-head. I was looking at this more for (pseudo-)historical settings (Musketeers buckling swash up and down the stairs), in which case safety-codes would not be such a concern (indeed, some dramatic structural failures are almost obligatory), but it would be a good idea for more modern or swankier use.

Thanks everyone for the input on the courtyard! It's alright if there's some small adjustments to be made, and the renders look rather nice really. Now I'm half scared off by the file size though, I don't have much room on my SSD left. Will have to ponder some more I guess.

Hm, maybe I could let the cart sit for a couple days. Am I reading it right that I can basically get a Still New item for the same price, with the same discounts, as a Debut New? Like, 30% off and then another percentage off with a Spotlight item? Or am I overlooking something? Thanks everyone!

• tsroemi said:

Hm, maybe I could let the cart sit for a couple days. Am I reading it right that I can basically get a Still New item for the same price, with the same discounts, as a Debut New? Like, 30% off and then another percentage off with a Spotlight item? Or am I overlooking something? Thanks everyone!

It looks that way to me. I'm planning to sit on the hair converter for a day or two, waiting to see what new stuff comes along tomorrow or maybe the next day.

tsroemi said:

I did that, but nobody can guarantee you, of course.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397

Since Dazland has a tendency to operate in the Outer Limits of The Twilight Zone I wouldn't hold my breath on it

Robert Freise said:

Since Dazland has a tendency to operate in the Outer Limits of The Twilight Zone I wouldn't hold my breath on it

Probably sound advice, and I found I couldn't resist for long anyway ... blush

Another render with https://www.daz3d.com/stone-mediterranean-courtyard (click to enlarge):

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

I like the Medieval Land props, but seriously... medieval... potatoes and pumpkins.... ?

Medieval Land 01 Market | Daz 3D

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,423

Nath said:

I like the Medieval Land props, but seriously... medieval... potatoes and pumpkins.... ?

Sigh... They just don't learn. Some Daz PAs have the same tragic love affair with history that Hollywood has had for a long time. The 'Medieval Market Stall # 01' by Odyssey and RedCrow3DArt, which, like the 'Medieval Lands, is actually very well done, is also such a case. I wonder when we'll see bananas and pineapples in the 3D medieval markets... wink

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

No male stuff today, so I can save my pennies for another day ;)

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

caravelle said:

Nath said:

Sigh... They just don't learn. Some Daz PAs have the same tragic love affair with history that Hollywood has had for a long time. The 'Medieval Market Stall # 01' by Odyssey and RedCrow3DArt, which, like the 'Medieval Lands, is actually very well done, is also such a case. I wonder when we'll see bananas and pineapples in the 3D medieval markets... wink

You know someone will take that as a feature request ;-)

But seriously, it is actually a very nice set otherwise, and I'll just work around the anachronisms (or whip up an alternative, like turnips, cabbages, or more apples)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,000

AllenArt said:

No male stuff today, so I can save my pennies for another day ;)

I haven't purchased for several days. I even let tokens expire. Nothing interests me lately. I'm sure something will come along one of these days.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Seems to be one of 'those' days... Parental guidance needed when going through todays offers.wink

• GhostGhost Posts: 103

Out of curiosity, are you guys taking advantage of 6$ Daz+ for a day deals?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,649

Ghost said:

Only a few and then only when I am buying a qualifying item anyway so that I get them fom $3.99 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,809

Ghost said:

no. Maybe at 2.99 or lower, but I just went through 10 pages of the current offerings and nothing jumped in my cart. the spotlight items I have no interest in.  

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,809

overall, this current summer DAZ+ sale has left me flat. As far as DAZ+ items, they don;t interest me at all. Too much moanipulation and rapid changing offers. 
    Pricing has gotten way too high for my budget as well. 

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 317

Ghost said:

I love Joe Quick's models and there are many I have not gotten yet.  Get spot light, they drop to 3.99, use 8 tokens, they drop to roughly $2.40, and finally have $50 of stuff in cart to make them $2.03.  The best price for some of those according to Daz deals is $1.99, so I am willing to pay the slight bit more so I can get stuff like Storybook mouse, turtle, Beaver, etc.  There are a couple Josh Crocket items I want as well.  I just wish there was some Oso or Raw Art in there that I didn't have.  Anyways, there is enough with the extra 15% off that I could probably find $50 worth of stuff, but I am waiting to see if there will be a flash sale that will make it easier to come up with $50 worth of stuff and pull the trigger.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,307

Ghost said:

Only when there's a spotlight item I want. 5.99 doesn't feel like a deal in comparison to the last year's 1.99 (and 3.99 is still a 200% increase from last year).

To me, the biggest bust is BYOB. At 5.99 (again, 200% increase) there's no appeal to browse through at all. 

This discussion has been closed.