Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,318

something from the present challenge : I like the second one best

here's a couple of variations including  Dart's elegant ambient occlusion observations

1st) this I had to turn the occlison radius up to 8ft - it has a toonpro, wireframe pro and coverage pass incoorporated over the top (multiply parameter) to show off some line work

Image may contain: plant, shoes, table and outdoor

2) this second one is the same as the above with a beauty pass on a top layer. The paramter linear light is used on this layer - to bring out more of a cartoony look 

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Next one uses the photoshop filter 'graphic pen' on the ambient pass. On top of that I used two  neutral grey laters with Overlay parameters to give a bit more ink work'. I also ran them through the graphic pen but used different angles for the pen lines

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, table, outdoor and indoor

As above but run through filter forge's "sketchbook  filter" to reduce the highlights

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, outdoor and indoor

Final tweaking. I took above image and ran it run through 'poster edges' ps filter. Then dropped the shadow pass on top (parameter to 'multiply'). Tweaked that the shadow pass's tonal levels to reduce the midtone brightness.

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, shoes, outdoor and indoor

I'll probably make the area where the figure is a little brighter to make the focal point more obvious....

Like the second one as well !!!

Nice series with your wizard.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks Bunyip02 :)

Image may contain: 1 person

reworked job from old challenge - facebook image so regretably will vanish I think https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218050565245377&set=a.1314734758147&type=3&theater

Image may contain: 1 person

reworked job from old challenge - facebook image so regretably will vanish I think https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218050565245377&set=a.1314734758147&type=3&theater

Looking good - like how the bandage on the nose and the dark glasses stand out !!!

edited January 2019

And one from me - Stezza's Tigermoth

TigerMoth 1_FotoSketcher_PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited January 2019

A wizard on the loose needs a young knight as an apprentice

CastleKnight 1_FotoSketcher PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M

well this one's a beauty - the orange really pops - what filter(s) did you use for this one if you don't mind giving away secrets 

great sense of destiny in this one - like he is stepping out into the world - and yes Wizard's do need apprenticies :)

well this one's a beauty - the orange really pops - what filter(s) did you use for this one if you don't mind giving away secrets 

great sense of destiny in this one - like he is stepping out into the world - and yes Wizard's do need apprenticies :)

Thanks.

Tigermoth is a combination of Fotosketcher and PhotoDonut. Base was Fotosketcher oil painting. The saved Fotosketcher image was then opened in PhotoDonut and various filters trialled, I did not keep a record of which one I applied but Choco Flash 03 rings a bell. Then both the Fotosketcher and PhotoDonut images were opened in Paint Shop Pro, the Fotosketcher image was made the base and the PhotoDonut image was made a layer with a normal blend overlay at about 50% transperancy.

Have been experimenting with various filters (FilterForge, FotoSketcher, Topaz Studio, Dynamic Auto Painter, PhotoDonut) then trying various blends, somethings are very ordinary but every now and then you get a "wow" image.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Images looking good as always...

Bunyip02_Carrara:

Those are all my go to tools as well, except for Topaz Studio - I just wanted to point out to you that you do not need to use Paint Shop Pro for compositing after working inside of PhotoDonut.

PhotoDonut has a compositing room with all the composite nodes you would need to do anything, including blends and overlays.

If you prefer your PSP workflow, that's fine, but I thought you might like to know there is the alternative...

DaremoK3 said:

Bunyip02_Carrara:

Those are all my go to tools as well, except for Topaz Studio - I just wanted to point out to you that you do not need to use Paint Shop Pro for compositing after working inside of PhotoDonut.

PhotoDonut has a compositing room with all the composite nodes you would need to do anything, including blends and overlays.

If you prefer your PSP workflow, that's fine, but I thought you might like to know there is the alternative...

Hello DaremoK3

Thanks, I have found the PhotoDonut option for working in layers with blends overlays - have tried it out of interest, but will be sticking with Paint Shop Pro for my workflow which I have used since obtaining PSP 5 (also use Paint.Net), which is a while now !!! Next up is to save my money and get a graphics pen/tablet.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,322

Fully agree on all of this. Fantastic!

DaremoK3 said:

Bunyip02_Carrara:

Hello DaremoK3

Thanks, I have found the PhotoDonut option for working in layers with blends overlays - have tried it out of interest, but will be sticking with Paint Shop Pro for my workflow which I have used since obtaining PSP 5 (also use Paint.Net), which is a while now !!! Next up is to save my money and get a graphics pen/tablet.

Wish I could just give you my Wacom - but I still use it for sketching. Mine is really old anyway.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,986
    DaremoK3 said:

Bunyip02_Carrara:

Hello DaremoK3

I just use the wacom One from Aldi... cost about $40 if I remember right.

You can have my wacom bamboo if you need one. It's packed away somewhere here.

DaremoK3 said:

Bunyip02_Carrara:

Hello DaremoK3

I just use the wacom One from Aldi... cost about $40 if I remember right.

You can have my wacom bamboo if you need one. It's packed away somewhere here.

Thanks for the offer, the one I am saving my hobby budget up for is : XP-PEN Artist 12 1920 X 1080 HD IPS 12 Inch Digital Graphics Drawing Tablet Pen Display Monitor with Shortcut Keys and Touch Pad(+P06)

Should se me back about $300.00

Thanks.

Tigermoth is a combination of Fotosketcher and PhotoDonut. Base was Fotosketcher oil painting. The saved Fotosketcher image was then opened in PhotoDonut and various filters trialled, I did not keep a record of which one I applied but Choco Flash 03 rings a bell. Then both the Fotosketcher and PhotoDonut images were opened in Paint Shop Pro, the Fotosketcher image was made the base and the PhotoDonut image was made a layer with a normal blend overlay at about 50% transperancy.

Have been experimenting with various filters (FilterForge, FotoSketcher, Topaz Studio, Dynamic Auto Painter, PhotoDonut) then trying various blends, somethings are very ordinary but every now and then you get a "wow" image.

Thanks Bunyip02 - DepartingTrains 02 is giving good results as well :)

I bought a wacoom from office works many years ago - they matched the online price - it's good but very scratched now :(

Thanks.

Thanks Bunyip02 - DepartingTrains 02 is giving good results as well :)

I bought a wacoom from office works many years ago - they matched the online price - it's good but very scratched now :(

Departing Trains looks interesting, might have to buy it, thanks for the heads-up about it !!!

yes

edited January 2019

used Flowscape to help with this test.. interesting piece of software

Island Sky.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Looks great.  What does flowscape do?

stuff like this

it's pretty cool once you get the hang of the keyboard setup... took me about 30 minutes to get the jist of it all.. yes

edited January 2019

comes with its own props and vegetation and stuff ... pretty cool 

just over 1 gig to download.

Post edited by Stezza on

great find stezza!! I see Wendy did some nice stuff on facebook with flowscape

can you import your own objs into it?

nope... not yey anyways sad

thanks Stezza - I can see people are also asking about obj export - imagine how small those files would be :)

the physics with the dropping stones works pretty quickly?

nope... not yey anyways sad

The ability to cross pollinate would be great if they develop it.

edited February 2019

Star Trekkin across the Universe ....

StarTrekkinDaedlus1 PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 960 - 4M
    edited February 2019

Missy - playing with layers in PhotoDonut.

Toon Missy 1 PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    edited February 2019

Puma on the prowl.

Puma1_DAP_Benson_New PhotoDonut 1200.png
    1200 x 1564 - 5M

Puma on the prowl.

a veritable feast ! love the foreground and puma in this one - very effective

• Nice Art renderings I brought Carrara about 2 and a half years ago, I was so happy to have a new program, but for months I struggled with it and then I just gave u due to not much support.

Nice Art renderings I brought Carrara about 2 and a half years ago, I was so happy to have a new program, but for months I struggled with it and then I just gave u due to not much support.

Thanks.

Like all programs there is a learning curve. Fortunately for me I invested in Learning Carrara 8.5, Advanced Carrara Techniques, and Carrara - Realism Rendering by Phil Wilkes which at the time could be bought in the DAZ3D shop then downloaded from Infinite Skills, the courses are no longer sold in the shop and is now available through O'Reilly. Learning Carrara 8.5 is also available on DVD through Amazon. PhilW does have the following course for animation in the DAZ3D shop https://www.daz3d.com/animation-in-carrara-video-tutorials

In the Carrara Information manual there are a lot of links that are of help :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual/p1

A good starter is Diomedes thread :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/119181/no-one-asked-me-diomede-posts-screenshots-on-whatever/p1

Any specific problems you can also ask in the forum.

This discussion has been closed.