Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,318

Puma on the prowl.

a veritable feast ! love the foreground and puma in this one - very effective

Thanks

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Nice Art renderings I brought Carrara about 2 and a half years ago, I was so happy to have a new program, but for months I struggled with it and then I just gave u due to not much support.

Thanks if you want any help please ask

pleasure Bunyip02, thanks for keeping the thread breathing ;)

combo of photodonut and studio and Nik filters for fine tuning plus final tone mapping with affinity photo

pleasure Bunyip02, thanks for keeping the thread breathing ;)

combo of photodonut and studio and Nik filters for fine tuning plus final tone mapping with affinity photo

Looking great !!!

Happy to keep the thread moving, makes for some incentive to do renders with all that content I have squirelled away.....

• Thanks  Bunyip02_Carrara I will give it another try.

Thanks  Bunyip02_Carrara I will give it another try.

As Headwax said ask for help if you get stuck, happy rendering !!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,986

Herc....

Herc....

Worthy winner !!!

edited February 2019

Beach

Beach 1 FotoSketcher FiltForge 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited February 2019

Bird

Bird 1 TopazImpess PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    edited February 2019

Pup

Pup 2 Topaz PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M

Herc....

Really interesting diversity of styles !!

Pup

Ha ha I am getting a feeling we are having a minimalist agenda here - title wise  :) This is my favourite

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,322

Puma on the prowl.

a veritable feast ! love the foreground and puma in this one - very effective

...and the background setting is awesome too! yes

Wow, I love these!

I like the bird one too, but it seems a bit too taken away by effects - loses too much detail?

Wow, I love these!

I like the bird one too, but it seems a bit too taken away by effects - loses too much detail?

Used a few filters on the Bird image which caused it to blend together, if I redid it would use a different coloured bird.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited February 2019

Herc....

Can you share the settings you used for this.... and maybe a verson of it as a normal quickie render?  I have been neglecting the NPR settings recently as I have purchased Dynamic Auto Painter and been having fun with it. Still using multipass, though. That's invaluable.  But I'd like to get back to using the Carrara NPR as DAP's Acrylic setting with Reactor is about as close as I can get to what I want to do with touch up in PS.  indecision  SIlene

CC-Willow-Test.jpg
    800 x 452 - 571K
    Post edited by SileneUK on

Absolutely Wonderful, Silene!

Herc....

Can you share the settings you used for this.... and maybe a verson of it as a normal quickie render?  I have been neglecting the NPR settings recently as I have purchased Dynamic Auto Painter and been having fun with it. Still using multipass, though. That's invaluable.  But I'd like to get back to using the Carrara NPR as DAP's Acrylic setting with Reactor is about as close as I can get to what I want to do with touch up in PS.  indecision  SIlene

Wow that.s pretty terrific! I've been using tonemapping in affinity to bring out some texture detail and also liquefy to bend stratify edges to give more hand drawn look 

Thanks Dart and Andrew... DAP is really cool, but I found the acrylic settings they use as default too vivid and messing with the palette was fiddly, so I sometimes use PS before DAP to dull it down, or wait and use PS to desaturate. For people,  I have better luck first desaturating a normal render, then applying DAP, then readjust if needed to even out facial shade distortions.  For the building... this is a photo I took and finally settled for doing the DAP first, then adjusted various parts of it.  I have to admire DAP's brush detail controls which are miles ahead of my old PS artistic effects.  I am looking for a modern storybook look vs a comicbook type of illustration.

Any ideas appreciated... I can get so bogged down messing about trying to find some kind of illustration El Dorado... which isn't going to happen in my world, so I think it's best now to ask for advice!

surprise  Silene

• Any ideas appreciated... I can get so bogged down messing about trying to find some kind of illustration El Dorado... which isn't going to happen in my world, so I think it's best now to ask for advice!

surprise  Silene

Are you kidding?smiley  I think you have found El Dorado, Silene.  I love that particular toon style.  Terrific balance and tone - one of the best renders I've ever seen in this thread!  My first thought was, "How the heck...?", so thanks a bunch for the tips.  I've wanted DAP for a while.  Bunyip is doing great things with it as well.  Maybe when I have more time.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,986
    edited February 2019

Herc....

That is pretty cool what you have done there..

What I do is set up any different elements of my scene and do a PR render out to PSD file with transparency background at nearly the highest render setting and a size around 3000 pixels.. eg. set render to highest at 1 pixel.

Then I do the same using ToonPro! and cell shading

Then I'll do the same again but using only the line render in ToonPro!

Then I load up into PSE and start with blending, smart bluring and overlaying... This is where it comes down to experimenting and personal preferences on how you like it to look.. After a while it kind of develops into your own style.

After all the compositing and blending I then resize the image down to around 1000 pixels or so which gives it the final look I'm after... that's why you render big postwork it then shrink it.

Hope this helps out in some way... it takes a while to get the look you want then remembering the steps to get there is the challenge lol

HercHow.png
    900 x 434 - 387K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Herc....

What I do is set up any different elements of my scene and do a PR render out to PSD file with transparency background at nearly the highest render setting and a size around 3000 pixels.. eg. set render to highest at 1 pixel.

Then I load up into PSE and start with blending, smart bluring and overlaying... This is where it comes down to experimenting and personal preferences on how you like it to look.. After a while it kind of develops into your own style.

After all the compositing and blending I then resize the image down to around 1000 pixels or so which gives it the final look I'm after... that's why you render big postwork it then shrink it.

Hope this helps out in some way... it takes a while to get the look you want then remembering the steps to get there is the challenge lol

Nice workflow !

Herc....

Hello Silene

I have been experimenting with different blends of Filter Forge, Topaz Studio, Foto Sketcher, Photo Donut, DAP, GMIC, Toon! part III, ToonPro and I still havn't found El Dorado either !!!

Although there are a number of combinations that I prefer. What I like and what others would like is a case of personal preferences.

The style you have got looks great to me, but it depends on if you want a photographic style, painting, hand drawn, or anything as long as it does not look like it was generated in a 3D program.

My workflow is to generate a 2400 pixel render in Carrara, sometimes it will be photographic or a combination of GMIC/Toon! part III/ToonPro. Next I will do 4 or 5 different runs in one of the "modify" programs. When done I will pick the best three then blend them in PaintShopPro. Colour/brightness saturation/desaturation I do last of all.

Thanks, UB!! DAP is probably the most intuitive tool for this I have found yet. Maybe it's the example thumbnails on the different effects that drew me in showing its potential

Stezza, that really helps as this thread is so extensive that I had trouble going back trying to mine some specifics from it.

Bunyip,  I like the way I can blend photos (ones I take, or even from Streetview) with my 3D bits.  I am amazed at your combination of tools!  PSP?  I used that waaay before I had PS, but had to switch once I got into Creative Suite 2D grahpics workflow.   Like you, I want an illustrated look, not a 3D render look... I think it will be more appealing to young readers.

Cheers all for the help!!  heartyes   Silene

edited February 2019

Hi Silene, I am busy converting quite a few three d images (a book from 2012)  to more of a hand drawn look .

Do you have an example of a style that you are trying to achieve?

Having a clear idea of what style you want helps in deciding what treatments to give something.

When I look at illustrations that are done traditionally I always try and ask myself how they are different to three dee work - 

I'm keeping a clopse eye on this chaps work he is using Photodonut I think https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/308356/children-book-with-painted-daz-renders#latest

Interesting Tutorials 

interesting tutorial https://photoshoproadmap.com/create-car-illustration-effect-photo-photoshop/

also a pointillist tutorial https://photoshoproadmap.com/photoshop-create-an-action-to-transform-your-photos-into-beautiful-impressionist-paintings/

basic pencil sketch totorial https://photoshoproadmap.com/turn-your-photo-into-a-pencil-sketch-in-photoshop/?doing_wp_cron=1549862011.5392210483551025390625

Post edited by Headwax on

Herc....

nice woprk flow thanks for sharing stezza !

guy called Gregor Mendel

from the current challenge 

From the current challenge  a White Rhino - heavily retextured the Daz original, added a normal map and played with Photodonut Topaz Filter Forge and affinity Photo on the result

edited February 2019

Headwax looking great !!!!

And one from me - Old Timer

Car OldTimer 1 FiltForge PhotoDonut.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
This discussion has been closed.