Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Hi HW/Andrew... I think I need to make the environment scenes less busy, then perhaps they will give a better illustration render. Trouble is, I need the photo-realism for some uses, so I will have to then strip a simplified verson out to generate an NPR look so the lower levels do not look harsh, but blended.  Stezza's workflow looks promising.  The people I am OK with... smoothing out a face after reducing the colour levels is doable so they do not look like a geological feature with elevations! But when I reduce levels in scenes where there are hard angles, such as furniture using they often get that 'bent' look.   Nature scenes are more forgiving without those hard lines, but when I need to show a fruit or nut bush, eg... I have to use the reveal brush in DAP to bring back the fruit so it is recognisable.  I also do not want to have 'paint' textures or media textures so as to present a more illustrated image.

Getting there... thanks for your interest and ideas!

heartyes  Silene

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,318
    edited February 2019

Along came a spider and sat down beside her....

Critter Spider 1 GMIC FiltForg combo 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Hi HW/Andrew... I think I need to make the environment scenes less busy, then perhaps they will give a better illustration render. Trouble is, I need the photo-realism for some uses, so I will have to then strip a simplified verson out to generate an NPR look so the lower levels do not look harsh, but blended.  Stezza's workflow looks promising.  The people I am OK with... smoothing out a face after reducing the colour levels is doable so they do not look like a geological feature with elevations! But when I reduce levels in scenes where there are hard angles, such as furniture using they often get that 'bent' look.   Nature scenes are more forgiving without those hard lines, but when I need to show a fruit or nut bush, eg... I have to use the reveal brush in DAP to bring back the fruit so it is recognisable.  I also do not want to have 'paint' textures or media textures so as to present a more illustrated image.

heartyes  Silene

hey Silene - certainly sounds like you know what you are looking for.! Only thing I can suggest is that you keep in mind that in traditional work the centre of interest usually has the brightest saturation and contrast - and that often it's the only place in a work that you will see pure white.

other thing is that when a work is really busy - eg distante greenish landscape - adding a stopping point of highly saturated cad red (very small) in the distance let's the eye rest before it goes o n it's wander around the image

Great album cover - Ziggy Starduist and the spiders from mars :)

here's a discovery rendering an image with Carrara' native toon renderer and renedring out a post effect pass

if you invert that post effect pass it gives you back a whole lot of shadows - but slightly different

cupla plays with Photdonut and affinity tone mapping  - sorry these are copied and pasted from facebook and will vanish eventually :(

Image may contain: outdoor

hey Silene - certainly sounds like you know what you are looking for.! Only thing I can suggest is that you keep in mind that in traditional work the centre of interest usually has the brightest saturation and contrast - and that often it's the only place in a work that you will see pure white.

other thing is that when a work is really busy - eg distante greenish landscape - adding a stopping point of highly saturated cad red (very small) in the distance let's the eye rest before it goes o n it's wander around the image

Wow... thanks!!   yessmileyheart  Silene

plasuer I can ramble on as much as you want :)

Here's something on worked on a while ago. "Medieval Beekepers."

According to https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/national-honey-bee-day-save-species-decline-pollinators-environment-pesticides-a8461426.html

"... one-third of the UK’s bee population has disappeared over the past decade and 24 per cent of Europe’s bumblebees are now threatened with extinction. 

Given that bees pollinate around one-third of food crops and 90 per cent of wild plants, which in turn provide food for livestock, the implications of this ecological disaster are alarming for biodiversity, the food chain and, ultimately, our ability to feed ourselves."

This work is modelled vaguley after The Beekeepers and the Birdnester by Pieter Bruegel the Elder , 1568.

Great album cover - Ziggy Starduist and the spiders from mars :)

Thanks

cupla plays with Photdonut and affinity tone mapping  - sorry these are copied and pasted from facebook and will vanish eventually :(

Like the top one most !!!

heartyes  Silene

Post a few of your renders so we can see how you are progressing Silene !!!

edited February 2019

Another Alien

Alien Head MultiColour 01 ToonPro FiltForg PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Just circling back to get caught upon this thread.  You folks have been amazing. Jst a couple notes on the most recent page. 

Bunyip, I love your recent trend experimening with colors.  I wouldn't want to meet most of your subjects, but the effects have been fun to watch.

Headwax, you have convinced me to track down Photodonut.  Unfortunately, there are more things to learn than any of us have time for.  Must prioritize.

heartyes  Silene

greatr idea, thanks for the comment on my two mansions :)

Diomede - after playing with pd for a month I would say it has a must have - layering the filters within PD is the way to go - though I have times when it just doesnt work when you have a few complicated ones 

Another Alien

Bunyip02, that's terrific - it's very clean and easy to read!

edited February 2019

reworking an old render with PDonut

and a little topaz simplify and Ron's brushes to get watercolour effect FilterForge for the paper texture

TerrificCentaurs.jpg
    2000 x 1856 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Just circling back to get caught upon this thread.  You folks have been amazing. Jst a couple notes on the most recent page. 

Bunyip, I love your recent trend experimening with colors.  I wouldn't want to meet most of your subjects, but the effects have been fun to watch.

Headwax, you have convinced me to track down Photodonut.  Unfortunately, there are more things to learn than any of us have time for.  Must prioritize.

Thanks

Am using PhotoDonut a lot more in my work, very usefull tool.

heartyes  Silene

greatr idea, thanks for the comment on my two mansions :)

Diomede - after playing with pd for a month I would say it has a must have - layering the filters within PD is the way to go - though I have times when it just doesnt work when you have a few complicated ones 

Another Alien

Bunyip02, that's terrific - it's very clean and easy to read!

Thanks

and a little topaz simplify and Ron's brushes to get watercolour effect FilterForge for the paper texture

Excellent, love the combined painterly look with the paper texture !!!

edited February 2019

Continuing the colourful Aliens theme

Alien Dude 01 FiltForge PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M

Excellent, love the combined painterly look with the paper texture !!!

thanks having a lot of fun exploring this pd :)

edited February 2019

Hehe, I thought you were going for colourful!! Brilliant album cover this would be ! That bleed adds the handmade look

PS have a look at this blog might have some interesting stuff about npr ? http://www.jurn.org/dazposer/

edited February 2019

Hehe, I thought you were going for colourful!! Brilliant album cover this would be ! That bleed adds the handmade look

PS have a look at this blog might have some interesting stuff about npr ? http://www.jurn.org/dazposer/

Thanks.

Some old renders given the GMIC/Filter Forge/Photo Donut treatment

Got a Gremlin on my shoulder, what could possibly go wrong.....

Melody - Aiko 3

Loading Zone 2b_TopazSpicify GMIC PhotoDonut Multi 1600.png
    1600 x 1168 - 5M
    MelodyA3 GMIC PhotoDonut FiltForge 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    edited February 2019

Silly Space scene

SpaceSilly 1 PhotoDonut_b.png
    2400 x 1350 - 2M

These are all so inspiring, Bunyip!  I am working on a landscape scene, so it might be a bit before I can go back to the characters again. Hope to have something soon.  yes Silene

These are all so inspiring, Bunyip!  I am working on a landscape scene, so it might be a bit before I can go back to the characters again. Hope to have something soon.  yes Silene

Thanks Silene, looking forward to seeing your renders !!!

Thanks.

Some old renders given the GMIC/Filter Forge/Photo Donut treatment

Got a Gremlin on my shoulder, what could possibly go wrong.....

this one is just superb - lovely job on the text, so watercolourist - you have me back with Gmic thanks :)

edited February 2019

here's an engraving filter - interesting the effect changes with the same parameter - must be the illumination variations

pan.jpg
    1729 x 1270 - 1M
    edited February 2019

piece from last year reworked to the skin of it's teeth

Untitled-2.jpg
    2000 x 1264 - 3M
    edited February 2019

well I made some custom Photo Donut filters and they hang so while they were busy hanging I started this one off with Filter Forge then went onto PD layter

amusingly I forgot I was a wtarecolourist in a past life so I am bringing those skills to the digital table

eg bringing back the white at the end - to show the paper underneath the colour - nose cheecks and upper chest plus highlights on boots

Below back to school PD filter with some tone mapping in affinity - toon!pro pass overlayed to bring back some edges

last on is Carrara Photonmap overlaid on above image to bring some details back

trollinherculesgear.jpg
    2000 x 2813 - 5M
    trollinherculesgearFLatBacktoSchool.jpg
    2000 x 2813 - 4M
    PhotonMaplaidoverbacktoschoolhool.jpg
    2000 x 2813 - 5M

here's an engraving filter - interesting the effect changes with the same parameter - must be the illumination variations

Interesting result. I have used some of the Black & White GMIC filter results in the Multiply option of PaintShopPro to adust the look of the FilterForge/DAP/FotoSketcher/PhotoDonut results. Definately worth exploring !!!

This discussion has been closed.