Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited June 2017

Genesis & dog Figures were PR rendered and saved in PNG then used a variety of Ron's Brushes and layer blending in PSE14.

Shaggy and Scooby.jpg
    800 x 600 - 450K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Once again, I'm in aww...

is that somewhere  between Blackburn and Oswaldtwistle?

smiley

thanks

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Stezza said:

Genesis & dog Figures were PR rendered and saved in PNG then used a variety of Ron's Brushes and layer blending in PSE14.

heartyes

edited June 2017

Another Alien render from me.

Alien 2c Topaz FiltForge Acrylic paint 800.png
    800 x 600 - 960K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:

Another inspiring work.  Great background, poses, and clever facial symmetry. 

I liked everything but the skull and spider.  I guess this has to do with a sense of boyish adventure.  But for me, this is a very warm-hearted render, which is why the skull and spider seem out of place.

edited June 2017

Back to the subject of filters.

I'm a rookie here, as I have almost never used NPR global filters until I started reading this thread.  So I'm looking at filter effects with new eyes, rather than the jaded eyes which have seen the same filter effect over and over, and are tired of it.

For now, I'm still experimenting with with PSE and Gimp filters.  Topaz and Filter Forge are down the road (although I've watched a couple of FF tutorials, and some of the effects are impressive).

Below is my "Vicky Takes Exception" Challenge entry, slightly modified, with a PSE "Poster Edges" filter applied to create an NPR look (no multipass, just a single filter).  There was only one setting that I liked.

Question - is this a "look" which you have seen too many times, or not?

Vicky Takes Exception_edited-1_poster edges filter A_smaller.png
    1600 x 924 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

I'm a rookie here, as I have almost never used NPR global filters until I started reading this thread.  So I'm looking at filter effects with new eyes, rather than the jaded eyes which have seen the same filter effect over and over, and are tired of it.

For now, I'm still experimenting with with PSE and Gimp filters.  Topaz and Filter Forge are down the road (although I've watched a couple of FF tutorials, and some of the effects are impressive).

Below is my "Vicky Takes Exception" Challenge entry, slightly modified, with a PSE "Poster Edges" filter applied to create an NPR look (no multipass, just a single filter).  There was only one setting that I liked.

http://www.creativebloq.com/audiovisual/why-choose-npr-41411359

edited June 2017

I like my Dragons - Fotosketcher Watercolour style

Dragon 2 Topaz_FotoSketcher 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

yesyes - thanks for th link to the article, Bunyip

Bunyip02 said:

http://www.creativebloq.com/audiovisual/why-choose-npr-41411359

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

And nice dragon - think we were posting at the same time

edited June 2017
    Diomede said:

Thanks

Another Dragon - Fotosketcher Oil Painting style

Dragon 3 Topaz_FotoSketcher oil 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M

The link was fine, but it didn't really address my question.  I'm not asking why NPR is valid.  I'm asking if the filter I applied seems to be overused.

Or, is it your feeling that no filter is ever overused?

The link was fine, but it didn't really address my question.  I'm not asking why NPR is valid.  I'm asking if the filter I applied seems to be overused.

Or, is it your feeling that no filter is ever overused?

Hello UB, the article states that quote "As with everything in life it comes down to personal preference" unquote. To me no filter can be over-used if that is what your preference is. I tend to regularly use the Filter Forge Chinaware painting filter as it has the look that I like, I also use a variety of the Carrara Toon settings as well as Fotosketcher - it really gets down to what looks good with the render that I have done as well as the effect that I wanted to achieve. Hope that helps you out.

edited June 2017

Thanks Bunyip.  I guess that I am looking for opinions from those folks here who are more experienced than myself - which is just about everybody!

A few artists here have posted about being tired of seeing certain characters used over and over.  I'm just wondering if that extends to filters as well.  Also, I like having filters, but I also suspect that I could do better images if I spent the time to train in using brushes and modifying layers myself.

BTW - I really liked your Jackson Field watercolor image in the Challenge!

when it looks good it's never too many times for me...

Graphic Novel and smart blur are/is  good filters to play around with... I will use several PSE filters on different layers with different blending modes.. so I guess it comes down to what pleases your eye and go for it...

I like that style you have used yes

+1 on Bunyips water colour image... my fav one of his smiley

edited June 2017

I don't have Topaz but I have filter forge but rarely use it... I play around a lot with layers, blending, filters and some other 3rd party plugins for PSE..

here is an example that I have just done to show .. 

First the origial PR render then an example of what I do when in PSE using Ron's brushes and layers with blending and filters.

MichaelMoxham.jpg
    640 x 480 - 229K
    MichaelMoxham example layers.jpg
    1445 x 968 - 177K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Thunder Wyvern (morph of The Great Wyvern) & Jabberwock II - Carrara Toon! part III render

Stezza said:

when it looks good it's never too many times for me...

Graphic Novel and smart blur are/is  good filters to play around with... I will use several PSE filters on different layers with different blending modes.. so I guess it comes down to what pleases your eye and go for it...

I like that style you have used yes

Thank you for the feedback and tips, Stezza.  The style I used does "please my eye" to some degree, but it doesn't satisfy me in this particular case, as I want the image to look more "organic."  So far, I have not found any single filters that hold a candle to what you and HW are doing by hand-tweaking the layers.  It seems that if I want the image to look hand made, then it will require more effort.

Stezza said:

I don't have Topaz but I have filter forge but rarely use it... I play around a lot with layers, blending, filters and some other 3rd party plugins for PSE..

here is an example that I have just done to show .. 

First the origial PR render then an example of what I do when in PSE using Ron's brushes and layers with blending and filters.

Very nice!  And very nice use of stringtheory9's facial hair.

And a huge thank you for not only posting a pic which shows your workflow, but you even labled the layers!!  You are so generous.  I'm beginning to see how using layers can be similar to using Carrara's shader room - you can go as deep as your skill allows you to go.

It looks like my best investment at this point rather than more filters, would be to get a good assortment of Ron's brushes and backgrounds.  And start playing with layers.

Going that route may take a while, as I am currently learning to model, and I want to start learning to animate next month.  But when I am ready to dive deeper into NPR, you and HW have given me the clues I needed, thank you very much!

edited June 2017

no probs... hope it helps out a bit.. smiley

The Tomato Painter

Tomato Painter.jpg
    800 x 600 - 524K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ah, the missing post is back!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Stezza said:

good stuff Stezza, love the mimicking faces - great texture and patina

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Thanks

Another Dragon - Fotosketcher Oil Painting style

another beauty, a lot of this looks hand done - congrats again

Bunyip02 said:

edited June 2017

well it's a great start! is it the look I've seen plenty of times? in places yes, and in other places 'no'. Who wants to be perfect anyway ? :)

For 'yes' I'd say the wall texture is kind of cg looking - the rest is getting there fast. I guess one giveaway is the weight of the outlines is very even.

Maybe a hand drawn one would have thicker lines at the front and thinner and less contrasty on the receding curves?

My initial reaction would be to suggest you render the foreground and background elements separately, then play with them on different layers.

BTW it's a good composition and a  good pose, it shows the weight of the axe nicely - something a lot of my work fails at.

Nice to see you diving in :) Looking forward to the next one. !

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:
    Stezza said:

good stuff Stezza, love the mimicking faces - great texture and patina

Thanks HW... all in the blends and layers and %'s thereof wink yes

head wax said:
    well it's a great start! is it the look I've seen plenty of times? in places yes, and in other places 'no'. Who wants to be perfect anyway ? :)

For 'yes' I'd say the wall texture is kind of cg looking - the rest is getting there fast. I guess one giveaway is the weight of the outlines is very even.

Maybe a hand drawn one would have thicker lines at the front and thinner and less contrasty on the receding curves?

My initial reaction would be to suggest you render the foreground and background elements separately, then play with them on different layers.

BTW it's a good composition and a  good pose, it shows the weight of the axe nicely - something a lot of my work fails at.

Nice to see you diving in :) Looking forward to the next one. !

HW, thanks for the feedback and tips.  I will try what you suggested, and see if I can stumble upon something that works.  My heart wants to do NPR, but my head tells me to learn the Carrara modeler.  Head currently winning. :)

Part of this is knowing the ins and outs of the software, but the bigger part is knowing what you actually want to do.  I need to study more NPR examples to imitate.

Speaking of examples, the Phantom below looked amazing, but you never answered how you got it so painted-looking.  If it's a secret, please ignore.

(and thanks for posting such large images, as closer inspection makes it obvious that a lot of hand work has been done)

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited June 2017

UnifiedBrain:

To answer your initial question - No, I don't think it is a "look" that I have seen too many times, but I don't ever look at any artwork with any kind of "jaded eyes", nor do I tire of any kinds of styles ever produced.

In fact, that particular style (a rough anime style emulation), I, personally, find very appeasing, and I wish ninety percent of all 3D comic books I have seen out there in the last two decades would have at least went for this easily accessible style opposed to the drab standard render with word balloons thrown on top.

I was going to comment on this when you posted it the other day, but I wanted to see what other opinions were going to be presented.  I was toying around with this technique back in the early 2000's (I just found an example from one of my 2005 archives) for my graphic novels, but because it is so easily accessible to everyone I decided against it.

Regarding your image - I like it.  I almost love it, but there are a couple of things that prevent that for me.

First, I agree with head wax, except for the line weight critique.  That is such a Marvel Comics black/white way of thinking.  I have produced hundreds of hand drawn illustrations in my lifetime with singular line weights, and there are thousands of examples out there of the same.  Some prefer varied line widths, and some do not.  It all depends on the style you are trying to produce.

Yes, for your illustration, the hand drawn emulation of that particular PS filter only yields singular line weights.  If you wanted to venture into the realm of variable line weights through 3D NPR, you could give Freestyle (Stand-alone, or inside of Blender) a try.  That would also open you up to vector NPR work as well, if you wanted to go that route.

Back to my critique, there are only two things in your image that prevents me from loving it; 1) I find the image a little confusing in regards to environment.  It appears to be a sewer, or some kind of highly flooded dungeon, but why then is there a window?  If it is a standard castle floor, I understand, but that castle is under siege by a greater hell than those demon tomatoes.  And, 2) The use of a spot light really throws me out of the image.  It appears as if someone with a very powerful flashlight (or spot light) is standing off camera and pointing it right at her.  I understand the need of it's use to get color posterization separations and the shadow, but the use of layering and postwork would have done wonders to alliviate the "spot" on the wall.  If I am way off basis, and you were trying to emulate light coming in through the window, then the spot doesn't seem appropiate, and the interior lighting would tell a different story.  I belive you have enough ambient light to make the scene believable (with the window).  I just think the lack of the spot on the wall would have been the way to go.  Other than that, it is a great image.  The posing, color, composition, and ambience are terrific.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited June 2017

head wax:

I would also love to know how you produced that stunning painting emulation.  If it is a secret, like UnifiedBrain suggested, then, please, just ignore me as well.

My favorite part is the poster.  That is brilliant.

Oh, and I am a huge fan of the work you have been producing, along with Stezza, Vyusur, Diomede, Bunyip02 (whose work finally convinced me to hook up a Windows machine to the internet to acquire the filters for my offline FF - thank you, Bunyip02) Artini, MDO2010, and everyone else participating in this thread.

I am still working on my first Carrara piece to present to the thread, and now that I know I do not have to solely rely on Carrara's NPR modules, which I am still struggling with, I am going use one of my stapple NPR work-flows once I get the Carrara set-up finalized, and the beauty pass (as you would say) rendered.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited June 2017

Hey DaremoK3, thanks for the feedback!  Before responding, I have a request.  Can you go over to the Challenge thread and vote?  I'm not shilling for votes for my images, but as a previous host, I know that the Challenge always needs more voters.  And voting will close in only a couple of hours.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/172411/tomato-et-al-carrara-33-entry-thread-vote-now-last-hours/p1

So if you can, thanks!

Voted.  Thanks for the heads up, UnifiedBrain.

I see that your original version is an entry.  If it would have been the NPR above I would have cast a vote for it, and had two NPR selections.  But, the master, head wax, was the only NPR selection I made (almost two of his).

However, I love your comic page, and cast a vote for that instead.  I usually prefer hand drawn, or NPR work for comic panels, but your style is not drab at all.  That style would make for a great comic, and to amend my earlier statement, if half of the ninety percent of 3D comics I have seen in the last two decades would have used a technique such as yours, I probably would have enjoyed them.

Also, love the humor.  Tomatacus... clever.

This discussion has been closed.