Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

That still leaves a gap of a few thousand years between the cave woman and the scientists - not as great a gap, I grant you, and the cave woman could have been from a lost tribe somewhere. But I grant that the story possibilities of dinosaurs and humans make all this rather acedemic!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited June 2017
    PhilW said:

That still leaves a gap of a few thousand years between the cave woman and the scientists - not as great a gap, I grant you, and the cave woman could have been from a lost tribe somewhere. But I grant that the story possibilities of dinosaurs and humans make all this rather acedemic!

Scientists working on Chicken-Trex DNA samples

Chick-Trex.png
    500 x 650 - 268K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

That would be terrifying at 40ft high!

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    edited June 2017
    head wax said:

'Pan and Nymphs'

'Pan, the Nymphai (Nymphs) say, dances badly and goes beyond bounds in his leaping, leaping up and jumping aloft after the manner of sportive goats;

and they say that they would teach him a different kind of dancing, or a more delightful character; when he, however, pays no heed to them....'

from http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Pan.html

Carrara render passes. I rendered out a few different light positions so I could access the highlights I wanted,

Eg below

I really dig these alternate rendering styles you can do. I'm surprised I don't see more of that. Though I have seen someone using a NPR style for an online graphic novel... that's pretty awesome. Also, the guy reminds me a bit of the singer for Rusted Root.

Post edited by WsCG on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    PhilW said:

Bunyip - Great camel image, love it!

Head Wax - Great image - I thought I recognised that other sort of Camel!

Diomede - love these, especially the color one!

thanks PhilW, yes I had to use a drop saw on it to fit the dog in - it doesnt fly so well now ;)

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Hya Bunyip, well this one looks like an old French work from Aegypt :)

Here's another treatment of that last image. Forgot to say it's PhilW's Sopwith Camel - restructured.

Using Waterlogue app amongst others.

Very nice, prefer this one

thanks Bunyip, yes me too :)

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

HW - that airplane scene blows me away.  Will have to check out the referenced app.

Stezza - I recently saw the original first two Phantom serials.  Your Phantom really captures the mood, as well as the look.

Bunyip - Nice camel.  Yeah, you convinced me to get Filter Forge.  Playing around with it today.

I just threw together a quick test scene so I could play with Filter Forge. I was too rushed to even search for a good DM temple scene for the setting, or to parent a sword.  Just want to play with my new Filter Forge toy!!!!  So here is a simple G2F with Carrara dynamic hair and the Cavewoman jungle outfit from the Daz store.  Put a simple bigradient in the scene backdrop and lit with a different bigradient in the scene background, along with one distant light.  Also used a shadow catcher.   This is a combination of a couple of filters.  The straight render is mixed with the watercolor, 4 color blend, and artification.   

Diomede lovely cavewoman - needs some dinosaurs to hunt.

large dino looks terrific, as does the front cycad thing, definitely kid's book style in those two elements

Bunyip02 said:
    PhilW said:

heh, looks like what I had for dinner last night - went a bit heavy on the glaze ;)

Mitovo said:
    head wax said:

'Pan and Nymphs'

'Pan, the Nymphai (Nymphs) say, dances badly and goes beyond bounds in his leaping, leaping up and jumping aloft after the manner of sportive goats;

and they say that they would teach him a different kind of dancing, or a more delightful character; when he, however, pays no heed to them....'

from http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Pan.html

Carrara render passes. I rendered out a few different light positions so I could access the highlights I wanted,

Eg below

I really dig these alternate rendering styles you can do. I'm surprised I don't see more of that. Though I have seen someone using a NPR style for an online graphic novel... that's pretty awesome. Also, the guy reminds me a bit of the singer for Rusted Root.

thanks for that feedback, yes it's a very clean style, this is the shadow pass, I can see it has lots of potential, especially combined subtly with other passes - eg you could render out three lights in slightly different positions separately and combine shadow passes in ps and adjust layer opacity etc - that would give a four tone image (including white)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited June 2017
    PhilW said:

Colonel Sanders would make a decent drumstick out of this one

Chick-Trex 1 Topaz FiltForge Chinaware paint 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Bunyip02 said:
    PhilW said:

The chicken that bites back, yikes!

edited June 2017
    Bunyip02 said:
    PhilW said:

Colonel Sanders would make a decent drumstick out of this one

wow this is one of your best - I think it's because you have only included what is necessary to tell the narrative - a great thing in an illustrator !

as Howard Pyle said "They will never shoot you for what you leave out of a picture."

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

you mean the tv show 'it's abbout time' wasn't real.... gasp..... my childhood has been ruined!

PhilW said:

If I were feeling pedantic I'd point out that dinosaurs died out around 64 millions years before there was anything resembling a modern human, but I'm feeling generous, so I won't mention it...

edited June 2017

gah, I remember that, and I'd blissfully forgotten it til just then - I'm off to to see the psychotherapist ,,,,,

edited June 2017

this morning's work, before 'work '

topaz mainly on carrara render passes

19105522_10213337394899064_7155426436919357153_n.jpg
    960 x 542 - 146K
    head wax said:

gah, I remember that, and I'd blissfully forgotten it til just then - I'm off to to see the psychotherapist ,,,,,

Gronk.... lol

ahhh I won't be able to sleep tonight. Did you know that the bad names of Captain Pugwashe's Crew - were all made up? There was no Roger The Cabin Boy, nor Seaman Staines, or even Master Bates.

I was so happy when I found out.

Here's 'Phantom At The Opera,' - 'Opéra Garnier, Back Entrance, 8.15 P.M., October 12th 1875'.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

There really was Master Mate, which is so easy to mishear . . . 

There really was Master Mate, which is so easy to mishear . . . 

ha ha yes when I am deaf as well :)

edited June 2017

A different style of work up.

This is passes of coverage, ambient occlusion, toonpro, diffuse (greyscaled) primitive, depth (use screen parameter)

put together and worked up in Topaz - then given a sepia coating.

the render is greater than 3000 pixels wide if you click 

atopera1blackandwhite.jpg
    3252 x 2000 - 3M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2017
    head wax said:

head wax said:

Both versions are extraordinary.  How did you do the top one?  Totally looks painted  Very nice poses too.  Any chance sharing the beauty pass on that one?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited June 2017

thanks UB :) here be the beauty pass - no postwork except sigs.

i was very happy with this pass - but that's not the name of the game!

atopera1.jpg
    3252 x 2000 - 691K

Thanks!  Very cool to see the transition from beauty pass to finished work.  Your postwork is obviously amazing.  I need better skills there, but also need to pick my spots and not try to learn too much at once.

Thanks!  Very cool to see the transition from beauty pass to finished work.  Your postwork is obviously amazing.  I need better skills there, but also need to pick my spots and not try to learn too much at once.

thanks UB - one big tip - if you havent discovered it

is that in PE go to the layer paremeter eg (screen etc)

select and change the parameter then hold you finger on keyboard's  up or down button

and it will scroll through the parameter choices - that way you can see what differences they make - try this at different opacities

the mouse scroll wheel will do the same wink

Stezza said:

the mouse scroll wheel will do the same wink

see what you learn?

you know just this morning I loaded up Carrara and actually read one of the tips - you know hold down the left mouse key and hold down alt key then stand on your left leg and close your right eye and grunt  .... and think I learnt something

The mouse wheel did not work, but the up and down buttons did, thanks!  So I can now see all the cool changes very quickly.  Unfortunately, knowing which one to pick is not so easy, as context is everything.

I finally watched a video tutorial on layers and layer masks in photoshop.  Slowly crawling out of the mud.

select the blending mode... leave mouse pointer there and scroll away.... seeemples cool

mousewheel.jpg
    1580 x 962 - 541K

it all comes second nature after one or two centuries  :)

this is interesting https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2043346/#Comment_2043346

I've been looking at a lot of 'npr' work in different threads and after a while it's depressing

like M4, you see M4 in a render and you know it's M4 (mostly) morphed.

From what I've seen a lot of artists are using one photoshop action etc (not Carrara artists!)  and expecting a masterpiece -

it makes you question your own work because you recognise the style. I don't think I've seen much that really does look 'hand made' - unless it's been worked over by hand.

maybe I'm wrong :) hope so!

that's why I can't stand sitting around for an hour or more rendering with iRay or the other ones as I always take it into PS and change evrything anyways...

I did a render the other day... took over two hours.... I had other things to do and when I checked later that's what it took.... big waste of my time if I wasn't doing something else as I loaded it into PS after and changed it all with layers, brushes, erasers and anything else I can use... I noticed in a few posts in the commons the discussion on V8 was that most are happy to push the button in DS to do it all... that's when you get the same as same as.. to each their own though I guess.

This discussion has been closed.