Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:

select the blending mode... leave mouse pointer there and scroll away.... seeemples cool

Thanks for the pic.  But my mouse must be set up different from yours.  Doesn't work, unfortunately.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited June 2017
    Stezza said:

that's why I can't stand sitting around for an hour or more rendering with iRay or the other ones as I always take it into PS and change evrything anyways...

I did a render the other day... took over two hours.... I had other things to do and when I checked later that's what it took.... big waste of my time if I wasn't doing something else as I loaded it into PS after and changed it all with layers, brushes, erasers and anything else I can use... I noticed in a few posts in the commons the discussion on V8 was that most are happy to push the button in DS to do it all... that's when you get the same as same as.. to each their own though I guess.

yes, same same same

I've been fortunate to have plenty of feedback from lots o f well known 'places' -

my feeling is that there is a big movement against 3d looking work (in publishing)  - hence my efforts to try and learnt to get away from ' the look'

Iray renders are so good they are starting to look photographic - there's nothing so boreing as perfection

that's what I told my dentist when he offered to fix my teeth.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591

Didn't want to start a new thread since it's really only pertinent to NPRs, but I've seen a few folks struggle with line renders. Thought I could save a few folks here some headaches. If you're using a 3rd party program to get your line art (which you probably should) you'll want to make sure to have a color blocked version of your renders. Doesn't take much time. Just use flat colors. Then use your 3rd party line render and the Multiply the layer over your base render. And make sure to save your Global shaders in the shading bin. 

IMG_4048.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 6M
    edited June 2017

Great advice - thanks Mr Rice :)

Today's sillyness from me: An offshhot of an Advent Calender I did a few years ago for our City Council.

Fort Scratchley is one of our tourist attractions.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    head wax said:

Great advice - thanks Mr Rice :)

Today's sillyness from me: An offshhot of an Advent Calender I did a few years ago for our City Council.

Fort Scratchley is one of our tourist attractions.

Like it

V4 and V8

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Clever title - and great image too!

Thanks Bunyip02, great image the bonnet up is a good compositional thing.

head wax said:
    I've been looking at a lot of 'npr' work in different threads and after a while it's depressing

like M4, you see M4 in a render and you know it's M4 (mostly) morphed.

From what I've seen a lot of artists are using one photoshop action etc (not Carrara artists!)  and expecting a masterpiece -

it makes you question your own work because you recognise the style. I don't think I've seen much that really does look 'hand made' - unless it's been worked over by hand.

maybe I'm wrong :) hope so!

I've read this about four times, each time hoping that I would understand your point.  No luck so far. :)

Here is what I gather so far:

1.  M4 and standard morphs are overused.

2.  People use a single photoshop filter and expect a masterpiece.  (Aren't some Carrara artists doing this as well?)

3.  You question your own work because you recognize the style?  Lost me.

4.  Not much looks "hand made" unless it has been worked over by hand.  (filters alone aren't cutting it?)

5.  You hope that you are wrong.  About what?

Any clarification is appreciated!

ha ha, well that's me, I type and then I think

let's see... the first time I saw this  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f9/3f/d2/f93fd22e34060218ff934c95d79a2b12.jpg

I was in love, I was 19 I think. But then later on I realised I hadn't seen the real thing, just a bad copy....

So the moral is, the more you listen to a song that you thought was terrific, the more you hate it ...

Let's see, forget about that. :)

I think it's about secrecy of genesis and the diminshing theory of ice-cream cone satisfaction.  The more ice creams you eat in on session the less you enjoy them.

Once you pin the butterfly down then you have killed it's beauty. 

Okay, that's just blah sorry....

But seriously..... 

1) You need to use a figure for a while to recognise the cliches. 

2) Carrara artists? Not that I am aware of.

3) It's good to question your work. When I say 'style', I means that I can see in my work filters that others are using. I would prefer it if it the genesis was hidden. 

4) A combination of filters will cut it ..... some of the time, if used with subtley?

5) I hope I am wrong that only hand made stuff looks hand made. :) 

Have a look through this excellent thread and try and identify the filters that are being applied :)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54697/non-photorealistic-renders-npr#latest

I guess the beauty of Genesis is that the morphs are pretty endless

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:

3) It's good to question your work. When I say 'style', I means that I can see in my work filters that others are using. I would prefer it if it the genesis was hidden. 

Re. 3) You could make your own filters :)

Re. 5) I think you are right, only handmade stuff does look handmade. Randomization and noise only go so far ... they are predictably unpredictable. Its very amazing that we can almost instantly tell when something is not handmade. Somehow we innately identify human imperfect from mathematical processes.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited June 2017

typical Australian.... I understood it all frown

now where did I put that chocolate milk..... hmmm

Post edited by Stezza on

HW, thanks for attempting to explain.  I got most of it.  As always, I enjoyed hearing your thoughts.

I suspect that you are using the term "genesis" in two different ways?  One is in reference to the genesis character, and the other is...(the secrecy of genesis)?

cdordoni said:
    head wax said:

Re. 3) You could make your own filters :)

Re. 5) I think you are right, only handmade stuff does look handmade. Randomization and noise only go so far ... they are predictably unpredictable. Its very amazing that we can almost instantly tell when something is not handmade. Somehow we innately identify human imperfect from mathematical processes.

3) good point - :) I might be better at 4) though - my hand is steadier than my brain :)

@Stezza, sorry there was some truth within the mud :)

edited June 2017

bit of topaz and multitude layers of post work

LG1_Shadow.jpg
    2855 x 3000 - 1M
    edited June 2017

HW, thanks for attempting to explain.  I got most of it.  As always, I enjoyed hearing your thoughts.

I suspect that you are using the term "genesis" in two different ways?  One is in reference to the genesis character, and the other is...(the secrecy of genesis)?

Hi UB. sorry just saw this! Ah yes Genesis and genesis :) The non capital  'genesis' as 'the begiining' of. (Sorry for ending a sentence in a preposition there)

Not that I am biblically minded. 

LG2toonpro12.jpg
    2855 x 3000 - 5M
    head wax said:

bit of topaz and multitude layers of post work

Nice, prefer this one.

edited June 2017

Dogfight - Toon! part III then Filter Forge Chinaware painting filter

Dogfight 1 Toon Topaz FiltForge Chinaware paint 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited June 2017

loving these posts.... heart yes

ChocMilk Cow.jpg
    800 x 600 - 262K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Bunyip02 said:

Dogfight - Toon! part III then Filter Forge Chinaware painting filter

wow those two work together hand in hand :) must try it!

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

ha ha ha , knowing the genesis for this makes it even funnier - and the rebranded ice-scream (Peters?) :)

edited June 2017

almost on topic,

this well known Australian Artists uses Carrar to design some of his sculptures then 3d prints them and assembles them, then paints them (/.I think)

here's a link to his latest show, you have to be looged in on facebook to see them sorry

https://www.facebook.com/fred.braat.1/media_set?set=a.1395672867180625.1073741866.100002137752769&type=3

can't see that link.. it must be a personal page frown

Sorry Stezza , it's interesting work, I'll ask him to make it public.  . . It's important because he is taking things a few steps forward. Like yourself. 

Stezza said:

Excellent - then there is strawberry milk, bannana flavoured milk, lime flavoured milk, and that great staple coffee flavoured milk.

edited June 2017

Dinokonda & Hydra - Filter Forge - Old Book Illustrator filter

Bunyip02 said:

Dinokinda & Hydra - Filter Forge - Old Book Illustrator filter

I'm adding this one to the best of Bunyip Pile.

Bunyip02 said:

edited June 2017

Todays render - Blue Dragon & friend - Filter Forge Chinaware painting filter

Dragon Blue 1 Topaz FiltForge Chinaware paint 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M

Off Road - Filter Forge Chinaware painting filter

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Chinaware, have not tried it myself.  Now that is a fun one! 

This discussion has been closed.