Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Bunyip - the toon proportions looks great - but also a bit disconcerting at the same time! Maybe its the disconnect between having a pretty realistic rendered figure but with such a big head?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2017

yes I agree with PhilW, reminds me of the time I drank half a bottle of cough medicine - or something out of Alice and Wonderland

to quote

Banksy > Quotes > Quotable Quote

Banksy

“(Good) Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

My 'good' inserted.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:
    “(Good) Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

Absolutely

Slim Pickens.png
    256 x 144 - 56K
    edited July 2017

Yes I have been looking at disturbing paintings  recently to get some ideas but some of was too disturbing even for me . Especially some of the anatomy studies and heads of executed prisoners etc . Théodore Géricault's Morgue-Based Preparatory Paintings for "Raft of the Medusa,"

Goya on the other hand is relatively tame.

I guess the corollary is  that not all disturbing art is ;'good' art.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:

I guess the corollary is  that not all disturbing art is ;'good' art.

There is no standard for "Good" or "Bad" of course. If you have not heard of the "Beast Jesus", its worth a Google. At first glance its almost laughable, and then to see the following it has now, one could argue that the original was not destroyed, it was transformed.

yes, i didnt know it was called Beast Jesus..... it's like the transformation of Whistler's mother by Mr Bean ;)

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    Bunyip02 said:

Toon dimensions on head and limbs

I don't write here so much anymore, but I read every thread which bear the slightest resemblance to NPR-affinity (okay, and some others).

But: this is the most disgusting, most gross, most disturbing image I've seen at DAZ (and rendo, r'otica, runtimedna or elsewhere; for disturbance: I followed Wendys first Carrara steps on youtube) ever.

I will not forget this for a long time and I see some more fuel for my nightmares.

Great work.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:

I like this yes

Thanks Stezza

PhilW said:

Bunyip - the toon proportions looks great - but also a bit disconcerting at the same time! Maybe its the disconnect between having a pretty realistic rendered figure but with such a big head?

Thanks Phil - I liked how the head and limbs combined for the toon look. Delberately left the head human on purpose as a caricature of us humans.

head wax said:

yes I agree with PhilW, reminds me of the time I drank half a bottle of cough medicine - or something out of Alice and Wonderland

to quote

Banksy > Quotes > Quotable Quote

Banksy

“(Good) Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

My 'good' inserted.

It's definately different.

Frank__ said:
    Bunyip02 said:

I don't write here so much anymore, but I read every thread which bear the slightest resemblance to NPR-affinity (okay, and some others).

But: this is the most disgusting, most gross, most disturbing image I've seen at DAZ (and rendo, r'otica, runtimedna or elsewhere; for disturbance: I followed Wendys first Carrara steps on youtube) ever.

I will not forget this for a long time and I see some more fuel for my nightmares.

Great work.

Frank glad you appreciated it.

edited July 2017

Toon Critter - not the same impact as Toon Vicky

Strigoi 1 Topaz FiltForge Chinaware 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

yes it's very interesting though, still wouldnt want to meet either in a dark alley

edited July 2017

More critters

Mantiraptor 3 Topaz_FotoSketcher Watercolor5 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    edited July 2017

Leafy Sea Dragon

LeafySeaDragon1 Topaz FiltForge Chinaware 800.png
    800 x 622 - 1M

Bunyip - love that, where did you get the model?

PhilW said:

Bunyip - love that, where did you get the model?

Thanks Phil, model is by Catamaran, download page is at http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlcatamaran.html

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I have not been following this discussion for a while, but I vaguely recall discussing "painterly" looks (Head Wax?) and the difficulty of animation with these NPR approaches.  I was reminded by this video, which makes the animation look easy (tongue in cheek) .  OK, at least very impressive.

Beautiful work!

edited August 2017

Fury Star Shuttle

Fury 2 Topaz FiltForge OldBookIllustrator 1200.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Fury 1 Topaz FiltForge OldBook Illustrator 1200.png
    1200 x 900 - 3M

Bunyip - when I first saw the top picture, I saw the ship as distant ploughed fields (looked quite like a Van Gogh!). It was only when I saw the title that it suddenly "flipped" and I saw it as a ship!

Bunyip02 said:

Leafy Sea Dragon

this good, gets that airy feeling of a an illustration beautifully

Bunyip02 said:

PhilW said:

Bunyip - when I first saw the top picture, I saw the ship as distant ploughed fields (looked quite like a Van Gogh!). It was only when I saw the title that it suddenly "flipped" and I saw it as a ship!

Hello Phil, I don't know about the Van Gogh comparison, but I did position the ship so that it occupied the boundary between the land and the sky in the picture, so maybe that threw you at first glance.

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Leafy Sea Dragon

this good, gets that airy feeling of a an illustration beautifully

Bunyip02 said:

Thanks Headwax

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Bunyip - I LOVE the style you are developing.  Keep experimenting and keep posting!

Dudu - thanks for the vase video.  Very inspirational.  If I could just get the NPR render engine to....

edited August 2017
    Diomede said:

Bunyip - I LOVE the style you are developing.  Keep experimenting and keep posting!

Dudu - thanks for the vase video.  Very inspirational.  If I could just get the NPR render engine to....

Thanks Diomede

Latest render, critter morph and skin

Critter 1 Topaz FiltForge OldBookIllustrator 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M

A very striking effect!

PhilW said:

A very striking effect!

Thanks Phil

edited August 2017

Griffin

Griffin 1 Topaz_FotoSketcher Watercolor 1200.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    Bunyip02 said:

Griffin

this whole series is great! I especially like the 'paper' background effect you've achieved - it looks 'correct', rather than like some natural media tools that somehow look like their 'paper background' effect was applied... (sort of an uncanny valley thing with textures).

You've  nailed it, and each of the scenes stands well for me without the constant 'digital deciphering' distraction I've come to apply to most of my viewing these days.

They simply look great.

cheers,

--ms

This discussion has been closed.