Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited June 2017

more stuff I found in my runtime - plain jane toonpro render straight out of carrara

carrara render passes worked up in topaz and original carrara 'beauty' render , the figure is aiko three retextured 

aikorobotoonprot.jpg
    640 x 991 - 89K
    aikorobo2.jpg
    2032 x 3000 - 3M
    original1.jpg
    2032 x 3000 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    Vyusur said:

Andrew, Artrage is not enough flexible program for me. So I stopped to use it soon after beginning. For digital painting I prefer Krita. It's free and it has surprisingly advanced tools and is fully customizable. The only issue is slowness of some brushes. Sometimes I work in Gimp. Corel Photopaint is pretty clumsy app for any task. Corel Painter is even worse.

Krita uses G'mic for its digital effects. I've been using G'mic in GIMP for ages and I like it a lot. G'mic is designed to be incorporated in third party products. I'll have a look if I can manage to use it as a general purpose post renderer in Carrara.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Philemo said:
    Krita uses G'mic for its digital effects. I've been using G'mic in GIMP for ages and I like it a lot. G'mic is designed to be incorporated in third party products. I'll have a look if I can manage to use it as a general purpose post renderer in Carrara.

I had not looked at Krita in a long time. Based on Vysur's comment I did some reading on the site and will install it. The non destructive editing for some features would be a big plus.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    head wax said:
    Anyways, I, studied eng lit for quite a while, became interested in Jungian archetypes.... so the serious Christ image still has a narrative, but the narrative is emotional and on a few different levels rather than sequentially (or non-linear) plot driven.

Very well put.  But I assume you meant to group sequential with linear, and emotional with nonlinear.  I've studied Jung for years as well.

head wax said:

I have two sides, the pirate side and stigmata side

HaHa!  You are cleverly describing the condition of dualism we all experience to some degree.  The human condition.

head wax said:

, and am fortunate enough to be having a show next year in a big regional gallery and the work will be Carrara generated but not twee :).

Congratulations!  Please let us know when it occurs.  Sad I will not be there - but you never know.cheeky

head wax said:

As for a name for that type of work I don't have one :) )

Archetypal is good.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591

Getting backgrounds done. Got it moving in the link below

Alley

head wax said:
    BC Rice said:

Alley

that's very effective, what shaders etc are you using to get that effect?

It's ToonPro. Just set at 2 tone 

BC Rice said:

Alley

head wax said:
    BC Rice said:

Alley

that's very effective, what shaders etc are you using to get that effect?

It's ToonPro. Just set at 2 tone 

thanks BCRice :)

Philemo said:
    Vyusur said:

Andrew, Artrage is not enough flexible program for me. So I stopped to use it soon after beginning. For digital painting I prefer Krita. It's free and it has surprisingly advanced tools and is fully customizable. The only issue is slowness of some brushes. Sometimes I work in Gimp. Corel Photopaint is pretty clumsy app for any task. Corel Painter is even worse.

that would be terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited June 2017

@UnifiedBrain wrote:

Very well put.  But I assume you meant to group sequential with linear, and emotional with nonlinear.  I've studied Jung for years as well.

Ah yes I can see the connection, I was trying to get across plots (narratives) that are non-linear, both in a temporal sense and perhaps a point of view sense (and other ways I guess :) )

But yes, emotional and nonlinear fit nicely.

Thanks for the other kind words.

"Archetypal" I like that !

cheers :) 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Stezza said:

just a heads up

The yearly songbird render contest is on again over at Hivewire... great for Carrara users to enter ( I did come 1st one year ) 

great prizes.

< You can now return to normal programming >

Was this the image that you won with?  Awesome creativity.

I found the contest announcement.  Hope the mods don't mind me posting it.

https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/11th-annual-open-rendering-season-contest-2017.2030/

Thanks UB... yes it was... will be trying again this year smiley

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Philemo said:
    Vyusur said:

Filters, Effects and Shaders extensions as well are great. But most of all I dream of some plug-in/modifier that could place a specified object on specified vertices/polygons like the «copy on a surface support» modifier that is available in Hexagon.

2017-06-07_0800.png
    1194 x 751 - 299K

I guess replicating on a shader and then turning the replicators into real objects wouldnt help, as they woud still be seperate meshes - unless you group them then export them as one object and reimport?

Replication on shader never gives precise result that is required in architectural modeling.

Vyusur said:

Replication on shader never gives precise result that is required in architectural modeling.

fair enough I though shaders of one polygon would be precise but I have not tried it

here's some toonpro and npr renders for @mmitchell_houston suprisingly the npr render is very very simialr to the toon pro - toon pro has advantage of overdraw and a little more control, I couldn't get any joy by chnaging the depth cueing

nodpethcuenooverdraw1.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 181K
    nprrender.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 192K
    overdraw.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 196K
    overdraw100percent.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 208K
    overdraw183percent.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 252K
    edited June 2017

second post for @@mmitchell_houston

not sure if  you are going for that stark black and white style - here's an approximation - probably too many tones?

the light source is one distant light maxed out, I combined the render passes as outlined (see invidual passes for names)  (plus one of the toonpro passeswhich I cleaned up a little ) , ran them through oloneo hdri to sharpen them, then judicious use of Topaz Simplify Buzsim. 

this is the same end render with a photon pass overlay blend mode luminosity

brings back a little detail? eg in toes

beautypasst2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 295K
    diffusepass.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 392K
    gladiatorBrightlight2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 342K
    gladiatorBrightlight2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 342K
    shadowpasst2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 156K
    overdraw100percent.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 208K
    workedup2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 418K
    photonpasst2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 177K
    photoneoverlayt2.jpg
    1600 x 2023 - 325K
  • david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109

Question? I have not been able to figure out. How do you remove or turn off a toon line on one surface or material. For example the toon line render above of aikobot has a line around the eyelashes which are a transmap but the outline shows the whole geometry.

Hi David,

this is from the digital carver's site and may help

Toon! Pro Override effect

The Toon! Pro Override effect, available on the Effects tab of the properties panel let's you override line effects set on the renderer's UI. Here you can control the lines for an object or shading domain. Select the domain from the list and change line settings above.

1. With the Synch All option selected, line changes are applied to all shading domains on the object
    2. Override for selected domain tells Toon! Pro to use the settings in Toon! Pro Override instead of the values in the Toon! Pro renderer for selected domain.
    3. Line Size controls the thickness of the line. The value is the radius of the line in pixels.
    4. Line controls the color and blend with the underlying color.
    5. Use Obj Color will use the object's approximate color for the line color.
    6. Overdraw sets how far out of bounds the lines goes.
    7. Depth Cueing will narrow lines as they get farther from the camera. The slider controls how many inches of distance for the lines to become half the width.
    8. Use On Shading Domain Boundaries to draw lines on the edges of shading domains.
    9. On Edges Sharper Than looks for sharp edges in your mesh and draws lines at those points.
    10. Turn off Remove Hidden Lines if you want a shading domain to not erase lines drawn behind it. This option would typically be used at the same time you turn the line size or effect to zero so no lines are drawn. For example if you were turning off the lines on the eyelash shading domain you will probaly also want to turn off Remove Hidden Lines so that domain does not erase any lines that might be behind it.
    11. Some edges will be on shading domain boundaries. You can use the up and down arrows to control the settings priority. If an edge borders two shading domains, it will use the settings from the shading domain highest on the list.

for me I just hide the geometry - eg pull eyelashes into head (maybe just hide polys in vertex room?) . Mostly I just fix it in post which takes about 30 seconds

ok that actually worked see here is carrara 1st vs poser 2nd I am coming closer in makeing then the same. I pretty much can for background and city models etc. my big problem was with characters. There are still some issues

Doc8.png
    1920 x 1080 - 197K
    Untitled.png
    1920 x 1080 - 127K

they both look pretty good, as does your witchunter vid, nice work - main difference just seems to be the colour

are you making your animations in poser or carrara? or both?

Mostly poser. I use carrara as an add on. Mostly as a modeller or when I need to fix some geometry or convert something from daz to poser. Or an ocean scene.  I know poser pretty well but I am not so good in the carrara material room and was just fiddling around trying to learn it a little.

edited June 2017

thanks David it's good to see the two programs being used together, great to see new faces and styles too

----------

another video tut on post processing 3d render passes and blend modes  - it's quite interesting and certainly well worth watching

but dry ;) https://vimeo.com/100811573

edit: you need to pay attention to the blend modes he using

When I see such a workflow as on the video above, I get horrified. I nearly never use masks (simply cut off the needed piece from the layer) and merge immediately all adjusted layers that Affinity creates in every case. I always try to keep layer stack as short as possible and delete every unnecessary layer as soon as possible.

edited June 2017

yes, that's a good idea, but I never do it , mainly because it disrupts my workflow - as ypu know it's all about action reaction

and my mind is focussed on the 'canvas' rather than the layers

it's like when I paint I never lay my paints out in exactly th e same place on the palette - I'm interested in the canvas and what is on it rather than the palette, and my best paintings are done with one or two brushes that are never wiped

that would drive some people nuts - 

what ever works for the artist  is what is  important

of course people can twist facts any way they like - like the messy artist genius stereotype http://elitedaily.com/elite/psychology-behind-messy-rooms-messy-room-may-necessarily-bad-thing/708046/

edited June 2017

pressing on, usual culprits - has one of Larsen's excellent Storm Castle model in it (Larsen being, as you would know,  this month's Carrara Challenge sponsor) 

Finalsepiad.jpg
    3000 x 2250 - 7M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    head wax said:

pressing on, usual culprits - has one of Larsen's excellent Storm Castle model in it (Larsen being, as you would know,  this month's Carrara Challenge sponsor) 

Like it !!!!!!! Gargoyle decorations add to the scene as well.

edited June 2017

Squee Dragon - Filter Forge - Chinaware Painting filter

Squee 2 Topaz FiltForge ChinawarePaint 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited June 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Squee Dragon - Filter Forge - Chinaware Painting filter

thanks, I like the mushrooms in this especially, the textures add that kid's book look

, and mushrooms are just what I need at the moment!

Good to see a few of us holding the fort against the PRs :) 

-------------------------------------

more tutorial videos

this is a video relevant if you have Corel Painter 2017 - it outlines painting textures over your 'clay' render

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBYny9hY0mk

also this one, basically you could use it for adding texture over textures as well https://youtu.be/r81pQ5rgIZE

this is an interesting vid if you have a hankering for painting colour over your grey scale image (that you have put together using eg coverage, toon, npr lines and shadows.) Where he is using the masks just use elements of your Carrara's object pass layer, Interestingly he points out that a colour in a colour layer (ie colour blending mode) will have no effect if the inderlying tonal values are pure white or 'pure' black)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LbQYuV6dng

Hello Headwax, textures are the ones that came with the mushrooms, first two items listed below.

Squee I used Freaky Skins on as the textures of the original are coming out black when rendered for some reason. Should have used a darker skin shader on Squee.

I like both PR and NPR, depends on the effect I am trying to achieve.

https://www.daz3d.com/squee-the-little-fae-dragon

https://www.daz3d.com/traveler-s-naturals-mushroom-singles-vol-1

https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-mushrooms-vol-3

https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-mushroomz-clusters-and-rings-1

edited June 2017

thanks yes the rdna and traveller's stuff looks like good things _ I have a few but havnt looked to see yet - bl&&*dy March sale or whatever :)

Happy Friday!

edited June 2017

Squee Take-2

Used a different shader for Squee and repositioned as centre of attraction.

Squee 3c Topaz FiltForge ChinawarePaint 800.jpg
    800 x 600 - 902K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

that looks much better Bunyip. The green sings off the red.

This discussion has been closed.