March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Rae134 said:
    Rae134 said:

To me it looks like she is looking at his nose, if she was looking up just a little more so she's looking into his eyes.

(I'm just learning so there might be a better way but I find it helps me if I put a camera in the head where the eyes are so it makes it easer to see what they are seeing, if that makes sense?)

I think I understand the confusion.  Theseventhserpent has his/her female figure looking off to her left because that is what the woman in his/her reference image is doing.  Normally you would expect a couple that is dancing together to be looking at each other but in this image the woman is looking past her partner to I am guessing someone else.

I just watched the short film the image is from. She does look him in the eye nearly all of the time (whilst dancing), in this shot I think she is looking at his left eye (its hard to concentrate on both at once :D). I still think 7thSerpent needs to make her look up a little so it looks like she's looking him in the eye.

Kaliadder, I think you pretty much nailed it :D

Watching a short film certainly trumps a still image.  smiley

I agree with the other comments and will add on further hint towards the pectoral that needs some moving upwarts, well don for a very beginning!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Kaliadder said:

Hello there.  I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for the first time if I may.   I still need to noodle on background and what to texture the bodysuit with, but here's where I'm currently at.  I would love any suggestions/recommendations.  Thanks!

I might help to compare the two images if you had a balance beam in your scene.  I simple primitive would do it.  I can't tell, but it looks like her left foot is off slightly.  In the reference, her head is dead center in the balance beam and her left foot should be near that center, too.  In your picture, without a beam for reference, it looks like the foot needs to be adjusted more in line with her head.  It could just be the angle and the fact that the point of reference that the balance beam gives is missing that makes me think that.  Even if you don't keep it later, adding it in while we try to help with your pose might be beneficial.  That left foot, also, isn't as twisted as the reference.  We should be able to see more of the bottom of her foot.  Otherwise, it is a great pose.  You've done a great job so far.

I agree with Knittingmommy, and would also suggest adding a little more light to her face.  Your lighting for the minimalist background is excellent otherwise. 

• Rae134 said:

I just watched the short film the image is from. She does look him in the eye nearly all of the time (whilst dancing), in this shot I think she is looking at his left eye (its hard to concentrate on both at once :D). I still think 7thSerpent needs to make her look up a little so it looks like she's looking him in the eye.

Sounds like I need to find the short... I just thought it was a nice image from Google...

edited March 2016
    yhzmurphy said:

let's try the image upload again...looks like it didn't make it...

Sorry, didn't want to give you a headache with the mirror.  It's a nice touch that complements the scene well and adds that extra dimension to make it special. 

Besides the mirror, I think that this is a better angle all together.  It brings in the scene and action better.  Sometimes all we need is a different camera angle to really make a scene pop.

Post edited by dracorn on
    dracorn said:
    Kaliadder said:

Hello there.  I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for the first time if I may.   I still need to noodle on background and what to texture the bodysuit with, but here's where I'm currently at.  I would love any suggestions/recommendations.  Thanks!

I might help to compare the two images if you had a balance beam in your scene.  I simple primitive would do it.  I can't tell, but it looks like her left foot is off slightly.  In the reference, her head is dead center in the balance beam and her left foot should be near that center, too.  In your picture, without a beam for reference, it looks like the foot needs to be adjusted more in line with her head.  It could just be the angle and the fact that the point of reference that the balance beam gives is missing that makes me think that.  Even if you don't keep it later, adding it in while we try to help with your pose might be beneficial.  That left foot, also, isn't as twisted as the reference.  We should be able to see more of the bottom of her foot.  Otherwise, it is a great pose.  You've done a great job so far.

I agree with Knittingmommy, and would also suggest adding a little more light to her face.  Your lighting for the minimalist background is excellent otherwise. 

I was discussing your render with someone who has a good grasp on athletics, and here's support for the changes that Knittingmommy has outlined:

Your gymnast needs to focus her eyes on the balance beam - she is lacking the tension/concentration that the ref pic has.  Also, when the feet are in line (as on a balance beam), the thighs will turn inward slightly, and with a power move, the toes will rotate outward, because the power comes from the outside of the foot.  

• Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49
    Rae134 said:

Sounds like I need to find the short... I just thought it was a nice image from Google...

Its called "Reincarnation" from Karl Langerfeld (not sure if the last name is spelt correctly :))

• Thanks, found the clip.  Not quite sure what it was all about, but at least I have the reference now...

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69

First off, thank you so much for the sweet compliments and VERY helpful tips!  My apologies for the delay in answering.  Generally speaking, it takes me about 24 hours before I can get back to Daz-ing. I've written down the comments, and i'm about to integrate them in as I'm able.  

dracorn, regarding the background, thank you for the notes.  There are some really good entries in progress here, and I'm a little intimidated.  I've tried a few different things and thought about a few more in order to try to keep up, but I keep coming back to "less is (sooo much) more" for this one.  Regardless of what happens in the contest, I think I'm just going to stick with what I've got because anything else (whether what I've tried or what I've seen in my head) serve to only take away from the focus on the pose.  If I have time I may do some serious benchmarking to find some suggestions.  Ultimately, unless I receive some source of amazing inspiration, I may end up sticking with the light and black background.

Regarding her face ... tytytyty!  I had actually battled with her expression, but was torn between "it's not working for me" and "well the image isn't that intense either".  I decided to get as close as I could and move on, but was never really happy with it.

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69
    edited March 2016

Ooook ... I did what I could with what I had to work with.  There's an "oopsie" with the leotard which I'll fix in Photoshop.  I'm still learning DForm, and that suit just didn't want to behave. 

Regarding her expression ... I played with her eyes, brow, cheeks, jawline, lips, etc.  It seems in the original she is clenching her jaw (or maybe gravity is giving that appearance?).  I'm using Stephanie 4 figure (different skin), along with Victoria morphs; any tips on pulling off a "jaw-clench" look would be appreciated.

Here's the result:

136955228.jpg
    594 x 396 - 46K
    Gymnast-v02.png
    900 x 720 - 83K
    Post edited by Kaliadder on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited March 2016

This is my first submission to one of these contests. I had problems trying to get her back as straight as the girl in the original.

This is V7 in the Sci Fi outfit for G2. All advice welcome though I reckon I won't be able to find much time to change my image before weekend. 

KneelinScifigirl.jpg
    963 x 550 - 464K
    839-02730760em-a-girl-kneeling-looking-out-to-sea.jpg
    450 x 299 - 29K
    Post edited by sueya on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    sueya said:

This is my first submission to one of these contests. I had problems trying to get her back as straight as the girl in the original.

This is V7 in the Sci Fi outfit for G2. All advice welcome though I reckon I won't be able to find much time to change my image before weekend. 

I think the reason you had some trouble with her back is you are trying to get her to match the models position just using the abdomen bends.

Start in the hip area first.  This is the body's pivot point.  Put more bend in her pelvis (or take the bend out).  This will cause her legs to swing down and then you will need to rotate her entire body back into position.  Once you have the pelvis area opened up I think you will find straightening her back and getting her into a position more resembling the model's a little easier.

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    Kaliadder said:

Ooook ... I did what I could with what I had to work with.  There's an "oopsie" with the leotard which I'll fix in Photoshop.  I'm still learning DForm, and that suit just didn't want to behave. 

Regarding her expression ... I played with her eyes, brow, cheeks, jawline, lips, etc.  It seems in the original she is clenching her jaw (or maybe gravity is giving that appearance?).  I'm using Stephanie 4 figure (different skin), along with Victoria morphs; any tips on pulling off a "jaw-clench" look would be appreciated.

Very nice so far. I think a little more lighting for your actor would be helpful to really appreciate the posing work you've done. As far as "jaw-clench", I'm not sure. It's really just additional muscle definition I think and I'm not sure how to dial that into the face. Maybe some of the face morphs can be made to work? I look forward to seeing your progress.

-Eric 

• GallowsGallows Posts: 95

The pecs were a good idea...thanks.

clinch.jpg
    1179 x 884 - 274K
    BodogFIGHT-Know-your-moves.jpg
    942 x 304 - 28K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    Kaliadder said:

Here's the result:

I thin you need some lighting on this model she is bit too dark compared to the orignal.

edited March 2016

Here is an improved render of my model any suggestions or advice is very much welcome

Model Pic Super Bend.jpg
    277 x 373 - 18K
    New Pose Model.jpg
    655 x 1061 - 153K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
    edited March 2016

Here is an improved render of my model any suggestions or advice is very much welcome

If you can get some bend and side to side movement in her waist that should allow you to lower the leg being held.  It is much too high compared to the model in the reference image.

Maybe try straigtening that leg a bit and then adjust the torso.

You also need to twist either the collars or shoulders of both arms.  The model's righ elbow is a little more forward.

The model's left elbow is down by her waist.

Her head may also need to be tilted back a bit.

Try adjusting the leg then torso before working on the arms and head.

Another challenging pose. 

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,535

One tip for all who struggle with difficult bends. Just try to click on the cog on the parameter slider, select parameter settings and then unckeck the limits. Now, you need to be very careful, but this can give you the extra inch or reach with a bend to make the pose "perfect".

• cforellacforella Posts: 10

Hi everybody,

I just started using DAZ Studio a couple of weeks ago. I saw the contest entry and decided to give it a try. I chose this image for reference:

http://pre09.deviantart.net/465b/th/pre/i/2012/306/9/e/f2_ext___47_by_jademacalla-d5jscwq.jpg

Attached is my first draft. I am focusing on the pose first, and when that is nailed down I'll start working on the rest of the scene.

I appreciate your feedback!

dash-gun-pose.jpg
    600 x 600 - 100K

From what I can tell you look to have the pose spot on.  The body armour and gun in the hand of the model in the reference photo make it difficult to see some aspects but it looks like a good match.

I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.

• cforella said:

Hi everybody,

I just started using DAZ Studio a couple of weeks ago. I saw the contest entry and decided to give it a try. I chose this image for reference:

http://pre09.deviantart.net/465b/th/pre/i/2012/306/9/e/f2_ext___47_by_jademacalla-d5jscwq.jpg

Attached is my first draft. I am focusing on the pose first, and when that is nailed down I'll start working on the rest of the scene.

I appreciate your feedback!

I think the hand should be closer to the face , not looking at the hand but a bit above. Aiming with the gun. Great expression, great challenge :)

• My render is a little grainy (I need to let it cook a little longer) but here's my first shot.  

8e5ba8247a6f12bbafc90cdc6de12bdc.jpg
    360 x 450 - 37K
    pin up.jpg
    598 x 563 - 80K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited March 2016

My render is a little grainy (I need to let it cook a little longer) but here's my first shot.  

It is pretty close.  The left leg needs to twist in closer to the other knee, there also needs to be a little more twist or side to side movement in the left foot.  After you adjust the leg to get closer to your reference, you will need to adjust the upper body and arm.  Bend the abdomen a little more and that should help to get her left arm lined up more closely to your reference photo.  Good start.

edit to add: the other reason to bend the abdomen more is that your figure is sitting up too straight and your reference photo is leaning toward her knees more.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,535

My render is a little grainy (I need to let it cook a little longer) but here's my first shot.  

I think you can solve some of it by lowering the stools a little (no one will see that they poke through the floor anyway, remember if it's not on camera it never happened), they look a little higher than in the foto, that will give you a better leg angle...

• Myerz80Myerz80 Posts: 27

This is a fun (and irritating) contest. :) It has taken me a while to even find an image not only that I like, but have the assets to build an image around. I am just trying to imitate the poses, not the image. It has been fun and frustrating at the same time since this is the first time I have gotten to work with children models. So here is my reference image and first render:

kid-couple-sad-cute.jpg
    629 x 504 - 107K
    Mar-Test1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 498K
    Myerz80 said:

This is a fun (and irritating) contest. :) It has taken me a while to even find an image not only that I like, but have the assets to build an image around. I am just trying to imitate the poses, not the image. It has been fun and frustrating at the same time since this is the first time I have gotten to work with children models. So here is my reference image and first render:

Fun and irritating...yep...that about sums it up.  laugh

Putting your models together the way you have does make it a bit more challenging to offer suggestions but I really like the scene.

If you can, try to round the back, especially the shoulders of the little boy.  It is hard to tell in the reference image because of his black shirt the exact position of his right arm but I think you need to rotate slightly his shoulder so his elbow is a bit lower.  Not much...just a little.   Rounding his shoulders more, if possible, may also allow you to bring his chin down a little closer to his chest and I think he needs a slight tilt of his head to his left.

The little girl in the reference image looks a little more tucked into herself but I think your model is a little taller.  The one thing about her that is standing out to me is her right shoulder.  In the reference image it is higher so her shoulders appear almost level.  Your model's shoulder is dropped lower.  Again because of the black shirt it is difficult to tell for sure but I think the model's left arm is a little straighter and your model's arm has more of a bend.  The model in the reference image may have a bit more twist in her waist but it is hard to tell.

Some of these adjustments may not even be possible due to the limitations in the figures. 

A very nice, sweet scene. 

Thanks for the input Kismet. I had spotted the boy's shoulders but was in need of other critiques. The girl's pose has proven much harder than it looks. I am also trying to figure out how to get a different Environment image for the sky. The one showing is not the one I have it directed towards, but rather the default that comes with DAZ. I have one with a blue sky an clouds I am wanting to load and have it set to be the image but it still renders the default image for some reason.

As well I am having problems getting this grass shader to work.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    Myerz80 said:

Thanks for the input Kismet. I had spotted the boy's shoulders but was in need of other critiques. The girl's pose has proven much harder than it looks. I am also trying to figure out how to get a different Environment image for the sky. The one showing is not the one I have it directed towards, but rather the default that comes with DAZ. I have one with a blue sky an clouds I am wanting to load and have it set to be the image but it still renders the default image for some reason.

Are you rendering in Iray? That grass shader is only for the 3Delight render engine.

Myerz80 said:

You're welcome.  I have had times when I see something but am not sure if anyone else does.  It helps to get that confirmation.

Well, that solves that mystery. :P Thanks barbult.

edited March 2016

Here is the latest WIP of my model, I took your suggestions Kismet and moved her waist and arms but the arm did not look right with it right by her buttso left it up in the air a bit I also tilted her head a bit more. Also staightened her right leg more. I think the reason she looks different some what to the original model is because her arms are not as long as the models.

2nd Model Posing.jpg
    655 x 1061 - 167K
    Model Pic Super Bend.jpg
    277 x 373 - 18K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on