March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• yhzmurphy said:

Ok, here's an attempt to capture the motion and situation, but with a twist (on a half shell)...Still very WIP but input very much appreciated.

(ROF)^(LOL)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited March 2016

Been absent for a while (there's a life outside of Daz?)...

I had to redo the middle pose because it really wasn't a good transition to the lower jump.  Oh, and just because I'm a stubborn diehard, these are all Genesis figures.  So there!

Here's my reference photos.  I played the most with the top one, combining a couple of poses and giving her a salute.  The other two are pretty close to the photos, because I'm not trying to copy them exactly, just use them as a starting point. 

For my render, I'm still messing with the lighting.  As to the floating pot in the open window, I plan on putting a surprised woman in the room.  I'll get there.

Free Running 05.jpg
    1600 x 731 - 158K
    Free Running 07.jpg
    450 x 320 - 42K
    Free Running 12.jpg
    480 x 360 - 18K
    Free Running 11.jpg
    700 x 437 - 229K
    Freerun 08.jpg
    600 x 900 - 436K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    Gallows said:

"Know your moves"

First draft.

Poses with two people tangled together are very difficult, so I applaud your effort.

I think your piece needs more tension, but you may not need to do much to achieve this.  Your limbs are very close - add some flexion to the arms especially. 

Notice these few tension points on your ref photo:  a) the perpendicular left thumb of the top girl; b) the slightly arched back of the top girl, and most importantly, c) the expressions.  Err on the side of exaggeration rather than subtlety.  Make sure that the expressions are asymmetrical - that's what makes them realistic. 

The top girl has her teeth clenched, not just her mouth open.  Keep her teeth together and pull the top lip up, and bottom lip down.  Flex her cheeks as much as possible.  You can hear her groaning in her anger. 

The bottom girl looks like she has her teeth together.  Lower the inner brows and raise the outside brows to add to that smug triumphant look.  Flex her cheeks also.  Not sure if your girl has her eyes open or not, but they should be slightly open. 

yhzmurphy said:

Ok, here's an attempt to capture the motion and situation, but with a twist (on a half shell)...Still very WIP but input very much appreciated.

This is very cute.  The main difference from the ref photo is that the girls want the pizza but are not trying to take it - because they know they will get some.  If you want a little more of the turtle free-for-all, here's some suggestions.

For all of them - eyes:  Pan your view so that you are facing each girl, i.e., your view is what they are looking at.  Superimpose your view with the Pizza girl and with each girl in turn.  It will be easier to point their eyes in the right place. 

Expressions:  Unfortunately, turtle faces don't give you much to work from.  Google pictures of children who are exited and laughing and use them as reference.  Remember to make the expressions asymmetrical.   I would expect someone in the next room would hear laughing and excited screaming. 

All the girls after the pizza: they all need to lean forward - they are jumping after this pizza (looks pretty yummy by the way).  Put their weight on the leading foot.  The girl to the right may even be off balance, which is why she is putting her weight on the girl in front of her. 

• Linwelly said:

Some small changes

Very nice work here. The only suggestion is to try and get the curve of the back more evenly dostributed, in the moment it looks mostly to come from the chest. Are you already at max bend for the abdomen 1 and 2?

I'm at max bend, didn't try to unlock the limits yet, I will give it a try. 

Some small changes

That looks real good.  I think the only differences are coming down to the difference between a real life figure and a 3D model and there isn't much you can do about those unless you model morphs or somthing.  From a posing standpoint, it looks almost exact and I don't know that you would be able to get it any closer just from posing.  The posing looks spot on.  I'm glad you changed the hair.  This one looks much better upside down.

It did seen unnatural 

• ewcarman said:

Some small changes

This is looking really good. Couple of things.

1. Linwelly already mentioned the curve of the back. Not sure if it's possible, but would be good.
    2. Note how the toes of the dancer are more squished over and in better contact with the floor. Again, not sure if you can get that extra bend in the feet or not, but I think you can get the right foot a little more on the floor.
    3. Also, if you tilt the whole actor a little forward.... Note how the dancer's lower legs aren't straight up and down. This tilt affords the dancer a better center of gravity and therefore balance. Duplicating that on your actor would really help, I think.

If you can solve these, I'd say you have an excellent entry. (OK, you have an excellent entry already, this would just be excellently excellent...)

Good Luck!

It is possible, I tried the limits already :). But then the head comes to close to the leg. I think the atonomy of the 2 figures is to different to get an exact match. And my knowledge it to limited to deal with that. 

The foot pose is a bit of floating between natural and what looks good.  But thanks fot your nice words and everybody else of course. There is still some time. Back to the drawingboard :)

• GallowsGallows Posts: 95

tweaks...thanks for the help.  It's difficult at first.

"Know your moves"

BodogFIGHT-Know-your-moves.jpg
    942 x 304 - 28K
    clinch.jpg
    1179 x 884 - 2M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Well worth the effort though Gallows.  You have done a very good job with a challenging pose.

Some small changes

One last thing - get the balls of her feet firmly on the ground.  Other than that, great job! 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Gallows said:

tweaks...thanks for the help.  It's difficult at first.

"Know your moves"

The arms poses are really coming very close to the original, good work on the hair as well. Remember there are pectorals to move, I think it would look better to move them up following the arm movement. The feet still need a little twist.

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    dracorn said:
    yhzmurphy said:

This is very cute.  The main difference from the ref photo is that the girls want the pizza but are not trying to take it - because they know they will get some.  If you want a little more of the turtle free-for-all, here's some suggestions.

For all of them - eyes:  Pan your view so that you are facing each girl, i.e., your view is what they are looking at.  Superimpose your view with the Pizza girl and with each girl in turn.  It will be easier to point their eyes in the right place. 

Expressions:  Unfortunately, turtle faces don't give you much to work from.  Google pictures of children who are exited and laughing and use them as reference.  Remember to make the expressions asymmetrical.   I would expect someone in the next room would hear laughing and excited screaming. 

All the girls after the pizza: they all need to lean forward - they are jumping after this pizza (looks pretty yummy by the way).  Put their weight on the leading foot.  The girl to the right may even be off balance, which is why she is putting her weight on the girl in front of her. 

Thank-you.  These are great suggestions and I'm still working through them.  I went as far as to create cameras parented to every head so I could "see through their eyes" - it seemed to help but not quite right yet.  Also waffling over how aggressive to make the little ones (that white upholstery won't appreicate pizza sauce...).  Here's an update work in progress...

pizzaGang2.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 2M
    yhzmurphy said:
    dracorn said:
    yhzmurphy said:

Thank-you.  These are great suggestions and I'm still working through them.  I went as far as to create cameras parented to every head so I could "see through their eyes" - it seemed to help but not quite right yet.  Also waffling over how aggressive to make the little ones (that white upholstery won't appreicate pizza sauce...).  Here's an update work in progress...

Wow, that's WAY better!  Great expressions on the pizza hounds, and I can feel the action.  Looks like the girl on the right is just about to jump on the pizza girl.

Ah, it's a virtual couch anyway, so who cares about pizza sauce?

How about widening the eyes of the pizza girl - so we can see that she is realizing her predicament could get very messy in a moment...

I just noticed that there are two mirrors in the scene.  Play around with their positioning, and you can give us the same action at a different angle.

edited March 2016

OK, I'm an admitted skeptic concerning Victoria 7, as seen by my activity in recent discussions.  So, I decided, skeptic that I am, to see just how flexible V7 really is.  So I dug up a picture of a contortionist I found years ago.  I know that Genesis can't do this, and had never tried contorting G2, so I wanted to see if I could break V7. 

Hmm.  Turns out she does pretty good.  Can't get the pose exactly, because V7 needs a third abdomen to do this, but not bad I would say.  Does this convince me to go out and buy G3 stuff... the jury is still out.

It will need some postwork to add the flow of tea into the cup.

[Edit - need to resize the ref pic, it's too big]

Pouring Tea 1000.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 686K
    01 Janice Pic 69.jpg
    640 x 939 - 49K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@dracorn Wow! If had seen the V7 render without seeing the reference, I would have thought that a very NOT realistic pose.  But you did do it very well!

I honestly TRIED to break V7, really!

There is some distortion at the top of the buttocks which you can't see from this side.  I also could not get the abdominal bends to match the photo - maybe if Vicky 7 had a third abdominal bone it would work (are you hearing this, frank0314?  Give Vicky 8 another bone in her abdomen!)

When I tried to produce the abdominal bends, the lower chest gave me fits - it distorted at the shoulder blades and jutted out funny when I tried the hard bend.  But all in all, it produced the pose, and I must say I'm impressed. 

• I think I'm getting a little closer...

dancers reference.jpg
    615 x 409 - 41K
    dancers 004.png
    900 x 599 - 740K
  • Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49

very nice Dracorn. looking at the ref pic, her leg seems to be over her head but yours is off to the side? I understand the limitations with Vicky's bends but if you place her leg over her head more like the ref it might look alittle more realistic?

SeventhSerpent, I think his shoulder needs to drop and maybe move back just a little? and her eyes I think need to look up more so it looks like she's looking into his.

• His shoulder is definitely in the wrong place.  Now I just have to get it to move without messing up the hands...  Will have to see what I can do with the IK chains. 

Maybe it's just me, but I thought she wasn't looking at him.  Will have to look closer. :)

edited March 2016

His shoulder is definitely in the wrong place.  Now I just have to get it to move without messing up the hands...  Will have to see what I can do with the IK chains. 

Maybe it's just me, but I thought she wasn't looking at him.  Will have to look closer. :)

It isn't just you.  To me it appears she is looking off to her left.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

To me it looks like she is looking at his nose, if she was looking up just a little more so she's looking into his eyes.

(I'm just learning so there might be a better way but I find it helps me if I put a camera in the head where the eyes are so it makes it easer to see what they are seeing, if that makes sense?)

edited March 2016
    Rae134 said:

very nice Dracorn. looking at the ref pic, her leg seems to be over her head but yours is off to the side? I understand the limitations with Vicky's bends but if you place her leg over her head more like the ref it might look alittle more realistic?

Thanks Rae. I had tried to put the leg over her head, but ran into collision problems with the hair, and some serious distortion problems with her right shoulder. So I did break Vicki with that one.
    Rae134 said:

To me it looks like she is looking at his nose, if she was looking up just a little more so she's looking into his eyes.

(I'm just learning so there might be a better way but I find it helps me if I put a camera in the head where the eyes are so it makes it easer to see what they are seeing, if that makes sense?)

I think I understand the confusion.  Theseventhserpent has his/her female figure looking off to her left because that is what the woman in his/her reference image is doing.  Normally you would expect a couple that is dancing together to be looking at each other but in this image the woman is looking past her partner to I am guessing someone else.

Waltz Reference Image.png
    402 x 283 - 195K
    Waltz Image.png
    642 x 438 - 409K
    edited March 2016
    dracorn said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    dracorn said:
    yhzmurphy said:

Wow, that's WAY better!  Great expressions on the pizza hounds, and I can feel the action.  Looks like the girl on the right is just about to jump on the pizza girl.

Ah, it's a virtual couch anyway, so who cares about pizza sauce?

How about widening the eyes of the pizza girl - so we can see that she is realizing her predicament could get very messy in a moment...

I just noticed that there are two mirrors in the scene.  Play around with their positioning, and you can give us the same action at a different angle.

thank-you for the kind words of encouragement...wrapped around more challenge ;-)

I'm playing with the mirrors, and using trial and error instead of knowledge, I can see this is going to be a long night before I even have a next draft to share...

If I have the mirrors able to reflect the scene, then they also potentially should reflect the photographer/viewer.  I've tried not to get sucked into making a grand recursive statement (in theory the camera lens would relfect the image in the mirror...and so on and so on), and other than a bit of leg and torso, the photographer is not really visible.

PizzaGang3.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 1M
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on

let's try the image upload again...looks like it didn't make it...

PizzaGang3.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 1M
  • KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69
    edited March 2016

Hello there.  I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for the first time if I may.   I still need to noodle on background and what to texture the bodysuit with, but here's where I'm currently at.  I would love any suggestions/recommendations.  Thanks!

136955228.jpg
    594 x 396 - 46K
    Gymnast-v01.png
    900 x 720 - 86K
    Post edited by Kaliadder on
    Rae134 said:

I think I understand the confusion.  Theseventhserpent has his/her female figure looking off to her left because that is what the woman in his/her reference image is doing.  Normally you would expect a couple that is dancing together to be looking at each other but in this image the woman is looking past her partner to I am guessing someone else.

I just watched the short film the image is from. She does look him in the eye nearly all of the time (whilst dancing), in this shot I think she is looking at his left eye (its hard to concentrate on both at once :D). I still think 7thSerpent needs to make her look up a little so it looks like she's looking him in the eye.

Kaliadder, I think you pretty much nailed it :D

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Kaliadder said:

Hello there.  I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for the first time if I may.   I still need to noodle on background and what to texture the bodysuit with, but here's where I'm currently at.  I would love any suggestions/recommendations.  Thanks!

I might help to compare the two images if you had a balance beam in your scene.  I simple primitive would do it.  I can't tell, but it looks like her left foot is off slightly.  In the reference, her head is dead center in the balance beam and her left foot should be near that center, too.  In your picture, without a beam for reference, it looks like the foot needs to be adjusted more in line with her head.  It could just be the angle and the fact that the point of reference that the balance beam gives is missing that makes me think that.  Even if you don't keep it later, adding it in while we try to help with your pose might be beneficial.  That left foot, also, isn't as twisted as the reference.  We should be able to see more of the bottom of her foot.  Otherwise, it is a great pose.  You've done a great job so far.

Rae134 said:
    Rae134 said:

I just watched the short film the image is from. She does look him in the eye nearly all of the time (whilst dancing), in this shot I think she is looking at his left eye (its hard to concentrate on both at once :D). I still think 7thSerpent needs to make her look up a little so it looks like she's looking him in the eye.

Kaliadder, I think you pretty much nailed it :D

Watching a short film certainly trumps a still image.  smiley

Kaliadder said:

I might help to compare the two images if you had a balance beam in your scene.  I simple primitive would do it.  I can't tell, but it looks like her left foot is off slightly.  In the reference, her head is dead center in the balance beam and her left foot should be near that center, too.  In your picture, without a beam for reference, it looks like the foot needs to be adjusted more in line with her head.  It could just be the angle and the fact that the point of reference that the balance beam gives is missing that makes me think that.  Even if you don't keep it later, adding it in while we try to help with your pose might be beneficial.  That left foot, also, isn't as twisted as the reference.  We should be able to see more of the bottom of her foot.  Otherwise, it is a great pose.  You've done a great job so far.

I agree with Knittingmommy that a balance beam would be helpful for comparisons. 

Well done on the pose. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    dracorn said:

OK, I'm an admitted skeptic concerning Victoria 7, as seen by my activity in recent discussions.  So, I decided, skeptic that I am, to see just how flexible V7 really is.  So I dug up a picture of a contortionist I found years ago.  I know that Genesis can't do this, and had never tried contorting G2, so I wanted to see if I could break V7. 

Hmm.  Turns out she does pretty good.  Can't get the pose exactly, because V7 needs a third abdomen to do this, but not bad I would say.  Does this convince me to go out and buy G3 stuff... the jury is still out.

It will need some postwork to add the flow of tea into the cup.

[Edit - need to resize the ref pic, it's too big]

Ugh, I do feel kind of sick looking at this but you did a great job with the pose, I believe the original has a bit more of a side twist in her hip, but that is kind of nitpicking.