March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@Knittingmommy - The front legs on the wolf in your reference image point a little more towards the corner of the image ( they are slightly off to the our left ) where your wolf's front legs and paws are pointing more to the centre. 

The body on the white wolf is slightly straighter behind the shoulders and your wolf looks like the body has more bend to it behind the shoulders.

The white wolf's hind leg is slightly twisted out away from his body and your wolf's hind leg looks a little straight...but this could be a by-product of the slight difference in their body bends.

Hi, Kismet, I see what you mean about the front paws.  I'll see if I can work on that.  I think I over compensated a little when I was trying to get that bend in the waist in the right position.  I'll see if I can back that off a little in the next pass on posing.  The back leg is partly because of trying to get his leg in the right position while also not falling into the rock.  For some reason, I can't get the wolf to work as well with ActivePose as I can the human figures so I'm having to rely mostly on just using the bend, twist and side to side movements in the Parameters tab.  As soon as I get the leg in the right position or close to it, I have to fix another part so it isn't sinking into the ground.  I'm getting there, though.  He is starting to look properly submissive.  Thanks for the comments.  I'm putting it away for tonight and I'll start fresh again in the morning.

The environment does play a role.  I agree it wouldn't look right if the back leg was in the rock.

edited March 2016

“Fired”

I appreciate the feedback it was very helpful. Once I turned the limits off I was able to move Genesis into the pose and looking at it from all angles made it more believable.

Here is my latest effort, and the reference image...

You have done very well with this pose. 

There are a very few slight differences between the reference image and your model but I think they have more to do with the size difference ( height wise ) between the figures than anything you have done. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited March 2016

“Fired”

I appreciate the feedback it was very helpful. Once I turned the limits off I was able to move Genesis into the pose and looking at it from all angles made it more believable.

Nice job on this one!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

“Fired”

Wow! This looks almost spot on!  I think Kismet is right.  The only differences I see are mostly to body height and other figure related stuff.  It looks great!

Note! I hope everyone is saving their spectacular poses as a Pose Preset when you are done.  You should then be able to apply them again later down the line!

• Maybe it's a dumb question, but is this contest about duplicating a pose AND a camera angle, or just duplicating a pose?  Also, are we trying to duplicate what the figures are wearing, or what their hairstyles are, etc.  Never participated in this type of challenge before...

Good question.  I'm hoping there is a little leeway for interpretation.  While I plan on duplicating the poses, I plan to do a final render incorporating more than one pose with several different 'actors' and putting it all together.  So, while each of the poses will be replicated, my render (scene-wise) wasn't going to be exactly like my reference pictures, just the poses were.  Not that there is anything wrong with dulpicating the entire scene.  There are definitely things to learn from doing that.  Hopefully, Kismet or on of the other mods will pop in and give us a difinitive answer.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I would like to know as well cause I would think that is kinda against the law to copy it exactly?? Not sure how things like that work within the laws of copyrights.

I would like to know as well cause I would think that is kinda against the law to copy it exactly?? Not sure how things like that work within the laws of copyrights.

I don't think copywrite applies in this instance as the resulting image would still be an original and the source is only used for inspiration even if it looks very similar.  It is what artists have always done and copywrite allows for this type of emulation.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I don't think copywrite applies in this instance as the resulting image would still be an original and the source is only used for inspiration even if it looks very similar.  It is what artists have always done and copywrite allows for this type of emulation.

Oh ok I didn't know what is allowed and what is not.

edited March 2016

Here is my latest with some pose adjustments for my first wolf pose.

SubmissiveWolf05.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 698K
    SubmissiveWolf05.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 698K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,533

Maybe it's a dumb question, but is this contest about duplicating a pose AND a camera angle, or just duplicating a pose?  Also, are we trying to duplicate what the figures are wearing, or what their hairstyles are, etc.  Never participated in this type of challenge before...

No, it's the pose, not the image that is important. It's not a "mimic the image" contest, but about posing, I hope this clarifies it.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Totte said:

Maybe it's a dumb question, but is this contest about duplicating a pose AND a camera angle, or just duplicating a pose?  Also, are we trying to duplicate what the figures are wearing, or what their hairstyles are, etc.  Never participated in this type of challenge before...

No, it's the pose, not the image that is important. It's not a "mimic the image" contest, but about posing, I hope this clarifies it.

As I said several times that the correct camera angle is important I maybe should add, that it is supposed to help to get the pose right. And as well easier for other people to see, and maybe point out things that probably could be made better. It is completely up to you how you compose your render and show the pose.

Here is my latest with some pose adjustments for my first wolf pose.

Looking much better Knittingmommy.  This is being really nitpicky but the only thing left to adjust, if you choose to, would be the wolf's expression.  The wolf in your reference image is looking up at the individual he is being submissive to.  Your wolf is tending to look a little more straight ahead.  He should be looking at the dominant wolf to see if his submissiveness is being accepted or if he needs to beat a hasty retreat.

I hope that makes sense. 

Posing animals can be a challenge since we cannot easily put ourselves in their position.  The pose looks great.

@Kismet2012 Yes, it does and I did have that, but had an irretreivable accident and had to load a new wolf and the expression didn't transfer to the new wolf, just the pose.  I simply forgot to readjust the expression.  I'll fix that.  I figured out why the expression didn't get set with the pose preset I saved, too, so I should be able save it with the pose now.

• GallowsGallows Posts: 95

"Know your moves"

First draft.

BodogFIGHT-Know-your-moves.jpg
    942 x 304 - 28K
    clinch.jpg
    1179 x 884 - 223K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,533
    Gallows said:

"Know your moves"

First draft.

Interesting choice of posing. Posing multiple characters is always more difficult, but you have done really good. The real pain is to get the hair "out of the way" but still be there.

edited March 2016

You have picked a challenging pose Gallows having 2 character interacting.

Your top figure needs to be moved lower.  She is too high.  In your reference image the top figure's hips are close to the floor and her waist is betwen the thighs of the bottom figure.  You will need to put some arch in the back of the upper figure to compensate for this adjustment.  It also looks like the upper figure's legs are bent at the knees.  She is trying to break out of the hold by lifting her hips.  The bottom figure is trying to prevent this by using her thighs and feet to keep her pinned.

Adjusting your upper figure will require adjustments on the bottom figure's arm and legs.  In the reference image the bottom figure's thighs are closer to a 45° angle rather than the 90° angle it appears to be in your image.

You have made a great start.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    Gallows said:

"Know your moves"

First draft.

ok. I can stop writing this, kismet has said it all ...wink

• Well, here is the beginnings of my entry.  As you can see, the clothing doesn't quite match, and neither do the hairstyles.  Obviously, the pose isn't finished yet; just look over to the left side of the image if you don't believe me...  I think the main thing that is throwing off the result is that I can't get the camera focal length to be the same as in the original, but comments are of course welcome (and hoped for...)

dancers reference.jpg
    615 x 409 - 41K
    dancers 003.png
    615 x 409 - 326K

Well, here is the beginnings of my entry.  As you can see, the clothing doesn't quite match, and neither do the hairstyles.  Obviously, the pose isn't finished yet; just look over to the left side of the image if you don't believe me...  I think the main thing that is throwing off the result is that I can't get the camera focal length to be the same as in the original, but comments are of course welcome (and hoped for...)

You have a very good start here.  There is a difference in heights between your models and the figures in the image (your female figure is shorter than the woman in the image) but you have compensated for that quite well.  The shoulders on your male figure seem to match those in the image.  From what I can see of the arm and shoulder of your femal figure, it seems to match the reference image.

One suggestion is to tilt the male figures head down slightly so he is looking into his partner's face and not at her forehead.  It is hard to see because of the high, stiff collar on the jacket but the male figure's chin in the reference image is down slightly towards his chest and possibly twisted slightly to his right.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

• Thanks.  I had to brush up on my waltz steps to figure out the whole pose (it's been a while!).  They are posed (or rather, will be posed) from head to toe by the time I'm done.  He is definitely not looking in the right direction yet...

• Some small changes

maart.png
    1200 x 1484 - 2M
    ballet-body-3.jpg
    880 x 880 - 72K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

wow that looks very close.

Some small changes

That looks real good.  I think the only differences are coming down to the difference between a real life figure and a 3D model and there isn't much you can do about those unless you model morphs or somthing.  From a posing standpoint, it looks almost exact and I don't know that you would be able to get it any closer just from posing.  The posing looks spot on.  I'm glad you changed the hair.  This one looks much better upside down.

Thanks.  I had to brush up on my waltz steps to figure out the whole pose (it's been a while!).  They are posed (or rather, will be posed) from head to toe by the time I'm done.  He is definitely not looking in the right direction yet...

I'm impressed that you actually had watlz steps to brush up on.  It looks good so far.  Lookng forward to the finished poses.

Some small changes

Very nice work here. The only suggestion is to try and get the curve of the back more evenly dostributed, in the moment it looks mostly to come from the chest. Are you already at max bend for the abdomen 1 and 2?

•  

I'm impressed that you actually had watlz steps to brush up on.  It looks good so far.  Lookng forward to the finished poses.

Just some of the basics, nothing too fancy...

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

Here's my pose, inspired by AHS's Elsa Mars : )

I'm gonna call my render "Stage Queen" though since obviously I don't have the assets to replicate Elsa.

Let me know what you think!

stage_queen.png
    880 x 865 - 597K
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

Some small changes

This is looking really good. Couple of things.

1. Linwelly already mentioned the curve of the back. Not sure if it's possible, but would be good.
    2. Note how the toes of the dancer are more squished over and in better contact with the floor. Again, not sure if you can get that extra bend in the feet or not, but I think you can get the right foot a little more on the floor.
    3. Also, if you tilt the whole actor a little forward.... Note how the dancer's lower legs aren't straight up and down. This tilt affords the dancer a better center of gravity and therefore balance. Duplicating that on your actor would really help, I think.

If you can solve these, I'd say you have an excellent entry. (OK, you have an excellent entry already, this would just be excellently excellent...)

Good Luck!

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434

Ok, here's an attempt to capture the motion and situation, but with a twist (on a half shell)...Still very WIP but input very much appreciated.

TurtlePie.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 1M
    TMNT-Pizza.jpg
    950 x 534 - 118K