March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited March 2016

Hey all.  Lots of good renders and progress so far.  i'm playing with a dancer-themed picture but making some changes that hopefully won't affect the original poses.  I think it still needs something to create more of a story narration and strengthen the composition but not sure what that might be just yet.  Not fully rendered so some blotches are showing.   

0.jpg
    480 x 360 - 15K
    1234567qwerty.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 734K
    Post edited by Babalar1 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    noseeum said:

Hey all.  Lots of good renders and progress so far.  i'm playing with a dancer-themed picture but making some changes that hopefully won't affect the original poses.  I think it still needs something to create more of a story narration and strengthen the composition but not sure what that might be just yet.  Not fully rendered so some blotches are showing.   

Another really well done posing image.

The only things I can see are with your female figure.  It looks to me like the right foot of the female model in the reference image is flat on the floor.  The right foot of your female figure is on the inside ball of her right foot.  You may need to either twist or use side-side to get the foot a little flatter on the floor.

The other difference I noticed is your female figure's head compared to the female model's head in the reference image.  In the reference image the model's head looks to be more upright.  Your model's head is more tilted to the side.

Considering the height differences between the models in the reference image and the figures you are using you did a great job on these poses.

Here is the latest WIP of my model, I took your suggestions Kismet and moved her waist and arms but the arm did not look right with it right by her buttso left it up in the air a bit I also tilted her head a bit more. Also staightened her right leg more. I think the reason she looks different some what to the original model is because her arms are not as long as the models.

She looks better than she did before Saphirewild.  Her shoulder looks a little more natural now. 

• Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71

The only things I can see are with your female figure.  It looks to me like the right foot of the female model in the reference image is flat on the floor.  The right foot of your female figure is on the inside ball of her right foot.  You may need to either twist or use side-side to get the foot a little flatter on the floor.

The other difference I noticed is your female figure's head compared to the female model's head in the reference image.  In the reference image the model's head looks to be more upright.  Your model's head is more tilted to the side.

Considering the height differences between the models in the reference image and the figures you are using you did a great job on these po

Ya good points Kismet.  Looking closer at her feet on the reference photo, the left foot is appearing to hold more weight farther back towards the heel than what I have which would make the right foot flatter to the floor for stability. I'll work on that and her head position later this evening.  

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    noseeum said:

Hello, noseeum!

I'm looking at your images side by side.  I see that the man's stance needs to be wider and his right shoulder should be back further.  Notice that his weight is on his right arm in addition to the leg - so the hand should be firmly positioned on the leg rather than resting lightly.  His stance is transitioning from the left leg which is pushing off to the right leg - notice that his balance is to his right rather than the left.  He is countering the weight of the woman while at the same time moving her towards him. 

It's a simple composition, so you really don't need to add anything - except expressions.  That's where your story lies.  The reference image is a little small, but by the expressions and the body posture, it appears that he is upset but also concerned.  Her expression is not neutral - seems to me that she is despairing and that he is pulling her back from that despair.  This interaction will make all the difference between two people who are apathetic and people who are locked into a dramatic transition. 

Your added dimension is that he's a silver elf and she is human - so what else is the story? 

• Thanks knittingmommy and totte for the suggestions.  I tried to incorporate your ideas.  What do you think?

pin up.jpg
    643 x 560 - 93K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,533

Looking better, now just some lights to nice shadows for the feet.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I agree. I think it looks much closer to your reference.  Nice work!

• posjonposjon Posts: 34

Hello all! :) I'm new here & getting a late start to the contest! oh well. I could use some help I am working in Daz 4.9 with a Genesis 2 Female. The difficulty I have encountered is I am trying to get some boots to fit. lol it was a free download listed as for G2F, I then did a fit to pointed to my charachter & this is what I got. They don't fit I did unparent and attempted a manual fit & thought that it looked good I then parented the boots to my G2F & attempted a pose but the boots are not following correctly. So that is where I am stuck would appreciate all and any help! 

boots dont fit.png
    454 x 566 - 111K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    posjon said:

Hello all! :) I'm new here & getting a late start to the contest! oh well. I could use some help I am working in Daz 4.9 with a Genesis 2 Female. The difficulty I have encountered is I am trying to get some boots to fit. lol it was a free download listed as for G2F, I then did a fit to pointed to my charachter & this is what I got. They don't fit I did unparent and attempted a manual fit & thought that it looked good I then parented the boots to my G2F & attempted a pose but the boots are not following correctly. So that is where I am stuck would appreciate all and any help! 

If you list the name of the boots and from where you downloaded them, someone may have them and be able to help you out.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited March 2016

If they are boots for G2F and you are putting them on G2F, you should use "Fit to", not "Parenting". Select G2F in the Scene pane. Then double click on the Boots. They should automatically be fit to G2F and move with her when she is posed. If they are not automatically fit to G2F when you double click the boots, you can try another method. Left mouse click on the boots icon in the Content Library or Smart Content. Keep holding the left mouse button down and drag the the cursor over G2F in the viewport. Keep your mouse button down as you hover the cursor over the body of G2F. A dialog box should pop up. When it does, select Fit to Genesis 2 Female. Don't select Fit to some body part of Genesis 2 Female.

Fit to G2F

Fit to G2F.png
    1326 x 1173 - 431K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2016

To verify that "Fit To" worked correctly, select the boots in the Scene pane. Then open the Parameters pane General section. Verify the "Fit to" says Genesis 2 Female.

Your Scene and Parameters pane may be in a different location that mine, because I have customized my interface. Just locate them wherever they are in your interface.

Verify Fit To

Verify Fit To G2F.png
    1337 x 1272 - 385K
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

To verify that "Fit To" worked correctly, select the boots in the Scene pane. Then open the Parameters pane General section. Verify the "Fit to" says Genesis 2 Female.

Your Scene and Parameters pane may be in a different location that mine, because I have customized my interface. Just locate them wherever they are in your interface.

Verify Fit To

posjon said:

If you list the name of the boots and from where you downloaded them, someone may have them and be able to help you out.

barbult  Thank you for your input I do appreciate it. Perhapse I didn't mention the render that I had posted is of the G2F and the Highheels which I did pull in by doing a fit to. The parenting was something else I tried but didn't get the results I was hoping for.

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest. This is my first render for it, so expect a lot of changes. Any and all input is always welcome.

Pose Fashion.jpg
    236 x 314 - 9K
    Laura Lee Pose to Pose 1.png
    454 x 537 - 118K
    posjon said:
    barbult said:

Verify Fit To

posjon said:

barbult  Thank you for your input I do appreciate it. Perhapse I didn't mention the render that I had posted is of the G2F and the Highheels which I did pull in by doing a fit to. The parenting was something else I tried but didn't get the results I was hoping for.

I'm glad you got it working. One never knows how much a new user already knows, so I try to give as much detail as possible.

barbult said:
    posjon said:
    barbult said:

Verify Fit To

posjon said:

I'm glad you got it working. One never knows how much a new user already knows, so I try to give as much detail as possible.

True and thank you again! I did say I'm new but I have had Daz for about 3 months and  ran through all the basic tutorials & have been digging in & out, became well familiar with the files system! lol that I didn't expect. But I'm learning as I go :) Thanks again!

• I changed the lighting and I like this look.  It feels like the light's coming in through a big front window.  Still fighting with grainy problem.  I may let it render overnight but I thought that Luxe rendered faster than it is.

Counter girl pin up.jpg
    699 x 560 - 97K
    posjon said:

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest. This is my first render for it, so expect a lot of changes. Any and all input is always welcome.

Starting at the hip your model's left leg needs to be more under her.  If you look at the leg of the model in your reference image and used an imaginary straight edge going from her hip/buttocks to the ground you would see the heel of her foot is further to the left.  Once that leg has been adjusted you should be able to adjust your model's right leg so the foot is making contact with the floor.

Above the waist there is too much bend in the waist.  I have taken both your reference image and your image and added a red line to show what I mean.

The white clothing on a white background also make it quite difficult to see where the model ends and the background begins.  Perhaps adding just a hint of grey to the background to show some contrast will help.

This is a really challenging pose but you have made an excellent start.

posjon reference image.jpg
    696 x 892 - 30K
    posjon model image.jpg
    796 x 992 - 28K

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest. Second Render. A lot of changes from my first. Also a Special thanks to, Kismet2012 for your input Greatly appreciated! I wish I had checked here before this reder. oh well, I will use the information you have provided to me going forward, to the best of my ability. Also Thanks for the adding the line trick this will definetly help me moving forward. :)

Pose Fashion.jpg
    236 x 314 - 9K
    Laura Lee Pose to Pose Whitesands 1.png
    454 x 566 - 317K
  • Myerz80Myerz80 Posts: 27
    edited March 2016

My latest render. I noticed his left forearm and hands need adjusted, seems I got lazy. I am having trouble spotting some though. I think maybe he needs rotated? Any input is appreciated.

Mar-Test2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 458K
    Post edited by Chohole on

@Myerz80 - You are at the point of minor tweaks.  The fingers of the boy's hand in the reference image is visible on his leg and I think his head is a little more into his chest and tilted to the side than your model.

Your girl is much closer to the reference image.  I'm not sure you can do much more with her.

posjon said:

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest. Second Render. A lot of changes from my first. Also a Special thanks to, Kismet2012 for your input Greatly appreciated! I wish I had checked here before this reder. oh well, I will use the information you have provided to me going forward, to the best of my ability. Also Thanks for the adding the line trick this will definetly help me moving forward. :)

You're welcome.  It occurred to me it was going to be hard to explain the differences in the poses without a visual aid.  Glad it helped.

I like the changes you have made to your model's outfit and background.  Looking forward to the next set of changes.

Kismet2012, you really have an eye for these things. I'm learning just by reading your comments and looking at the pictures.

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69

Wow, long week at work, and now I'm FINALLY able to get back to this.  ewcarman and Saphirewild, thanks for your input!

I do regret having missed last month's lighting contest, which I think I barely missed by a few days.  Lighting is a weak point of mine.  I usually rely on scripts or presets that I find, then tweak from there.  For the below, I added an emissive, then tweaked the lighting.  Also, I played some with the jaw and tweaked the expression a little.

I'm just about ready to finalize this and go for it.  What do y'all think?  Opinions/suggestions/etc are very welcomed and appreciated!

136955228.jpg
    594 x 396 - 46K
    Gymnast-v03.png
    900 x 720 - 109K
    barbult said:

Kismet2012, you really have an eye for these things. I'm learning just by reading your comments and looking at the pictures.

Thanks Barbult.  smiley

Kaliadder said:

Wow, long week at work, and now I'm FINALLY able to get back to this.  ewcarman and Saphirewild, thanks for your input!

I do regret having missed last month's lighting contest, which I think I barely missed by a few days.  Lighting is a weak point of mine.  I usually rely on scripts or presets that I find, then tweak from there.  For the below, I added an emissive, then tweaked the lighting.  Also, I played some with the jaw and tweaked the expression a little.

I'm just about ready to finalize this and go for it.  What do y'all think?  Opinions/suggestions/etc are very welcomed and appreciated!

You have done a very nice job on the lighting.  You have her body nicely outlined and some interesting shadows as well.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    Kaliadder said:

This is looking really good. I can't think of anything off hand to critique.

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest. Render 3 closing in on the pose, still a lot to do. Stopped to play with a different backdrop and through in a prop just for this render

Pose Fashion.jpg
    236 x 314 - 9K
    Laura Lee Pose to Pose 2.png
    503 x 529 - 463K
  • lulamfadalulamfada Posts: 69
    edited March 2016

Decided to revise before posting the WIP.

Post edited by lulamfada on
    posjon said:

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest. Render 3 closing in on the pose, still a lot to do. Stopped to play with a different backdrop and through in a prop just for this render

Much better.  Her pose looks a lot more natural now. 

About the only critique I have now is it appears her right toes are not touching the floor.  You may need to adjust the bend in her shin.  If that brings her foot too close to her other foot then try using the side to side parameter on that right thigh.