March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

TotteTotte Posts: 13,514

New User's Contest - March 2016

Sponsored by DAZ 3D 

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Posing"

This month we will be focusing on Posing. For this contest we would like you to search the web for a pose you feel is dynamic and interesting and then use that reference as a guide as you try to replicate it within your app of choice to be used in any way you would like within your final entry. You will also be required to post your reference image (or a link to it) in addition to your entry if you enter this months contest. We will be posting example images as well as some ideas on terms to search and some other tips in this WIP THREAD.

If you are a new user, or if you consider yourself a beginner at posing, you are welcome to post your works in process (WIP) to this thread. I will be checking in on the WIP thread, as will the rest of the Community Volunteers, to provide feedback and try and help with anything you all may need so feel free to ask questions. Look in this thread (the WIP thread) for links on Posing. Once your image is finished, if you wish you may enter this month's New User Contest. 

To enter the contest, please post your completed image to the Entries Thread.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

How to Use Your Software:

in DAZ Studio
Great Art Now - Posing And Morphing [download] [YouTube]
How to Create and Pose Characters with DAZ 3D
Facial Poses in DAZ 4
Posing the Model in DAZ 4

in Poser
Artistic Posing in Poser - Very in Depth
Introduction to Posing in Poser
Poser Tutorial: Quick Posing

in Carrara
Carrara 3D Tutorial - Posing a Figure
Posing in Carrara
Posing Tips - Carrara Cafe

in Bryce
While it is not possible to pose things in Bryce, you are welcome to do your posing in another program such as DAZ Studio or Poser, then export and render in Bryce. For information on how to use the Bryce bridge to import a DS scene into Bryce: http://brycebasics.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-daz-studio-with-bryce.html

General Posing Information/Reference
(Please note some links are google search results so you may get some nudity depending on what your preference settings are for Google Images):

March 2015 New User Contest WIP Thread
July 2012 New User Contest WIP Thread
Deviant Art Pose Emporium Great spot to find tons of great photo references for natural poses
Posing Reference for Artists Google Search Results
Classic Pinup Posing Google Search
Portrait Photo Basics
7 Posing Techniques for Non-Models

Examples of Posing:
July 2012 New User Contest entries thread
(More examples to be posted to this thread below)

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Attention!

We have done some changes to the contest rules so it would be a great idea to eyeball them once again if you have been participating before,

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules

Clarification
: It's not mimicing the image that is the main goal, but the pose. I'ts much more intriguing to place a pose in a different context.

Post edited by Totte on

Comments

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

This will be interesting smiley

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230

Very interesting, I'm wondering if I should pose the character myself or I can use help from my ontents?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,514
    h_habash said:

Very interesting, I'm wondering if I should pose the character myself or I can use help from my ontents?

Posing yourself is what it's all about...

Totte said:
    h_habash said:

Thans Totte, I'll do my best once I find my interesting shot smiley

• the_miragethe_mirage Posts: 5
    edited March 2016

Penelope poses from young to old (WIP)

generations_penelope.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by the_mirage on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796
    Totte said:

yes pose yourself in front of a mirror devil (well while in your renders the characters should be posed it actually helps to try a certain pose in front of a mirror and see if what you planned works)

I've picked this painting by Jim Daly "I guiss" named (DayDreaming) [link to photo is : https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://catsfineart.com/assets/images/cats/CatAndPeople/db_Jim_Daly_Winding_Down1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://catsfineart.com/html/cat_and_people_113.php&h=530&w=795&tbnid=qiDFucJfFGW4oM:&docid=1WtQ_4XU5BrlWM&hl=en&ei=yC3bVqfsDIKna-DOj8gL&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ved=0ahUKEwin8NC6nqrLAhWC0xoKHWDnA7kQMwiGAShhMGE#h=530&imgdii=qiDFucJfFGW4oM:;qiDFucJfFGW4oM:;omLwkW_KDaIxmM:&w=795 ].

I'd name it samething : Day Dreaming

Rendered upto 30%, I've used both Genises 3 Male and Female,adjusted their age to 5 y, and I used Beacon Dog and applied Fur Shader to it's skin.

Posing the three Characters took me around 4 hours to achive what you see here.

I'm sure there is lot of things to adjust like light and dog nose and reflections from several parts in the scene.

Please tell me what you think,... smiley

G3068-Daydreaming.jpg
    1200 x 821 - 1M
    March2016-NUC-DayDream - 1.jpg
    805 x 672 - 647K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,514
    h_habash said:

You got a good start to work from there. A couple of hints (not really related to Posing), but grass ir really tricky as it tend to go through limbs of 3D persons. The trick is to plce it so it looks like its everywhere but really just between the camera and the subject, unless you are brave to use DFormers to push it down under the figures.

Also watch carefully fingertips, the they to poke into things (disappearing).

Totte said:
    h_habash said:

You got a good start to work from there. A couple of hints (not really related to Posing), but grass ir really tricky as it tend to go through limbs of 3D persons. The trick is to plce it so it looks like its everywhere but really just between the camera and the subject, unless you are brave to use DFormers to push it down under the figures.

Also watch carefully fingertips, the they to poke into things (disappearing).

Thanks Totte, I've noticed the finger tips part while rendering the scene, I'll certenly fix it.

I have some experience in Deformer, I'll try it on the grass and see if I can do it properly.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I've been working on a project that fits this and I just want to make sure I can use what I've already worked on.  I've been making unique poses for AM's wolf to give away as a freebie.  All poses are made by me from scratch using reference photos and none of the poses have been published in any of my renders yet.  So, am I correct in thinking that I can still use some of the poses that I've already worked on or should use poses that I haven't started on yet?  Just want to clarify since this is a project that I've been working on for awhile now.  I can easily use new poses, but just wanted to find out if I need to keep them in a separate directory for the contest or if it doesn't matter.  Make sense? or did I confuse you?  Thanks!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited March 2016

Here's my preliminary for Freerun.  I wanted to get the poses into the scenery.  Lighting, costume, etc. will change.

My concept was to do a comic-book style progression frame.  I used videos of free runners for reference.

Freerun 03.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 683K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    h_habash said:

I've picked this painting by Jim Daly "I guiss" named (DayDreaming) [link to photo is : https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://catsfineart.com/assets/images/cats/CatAndPeople/db_Jim_Daly_Winding_Down1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://catsfineart.com/html/cat_and_people_113.php&h=530&w=795&tbnid=qiDFucJfFGW4oM:&docid=1WtQ_4XU5BrlWM&hl=en&ei=yC3bVqfsDIKna-DOj8gL&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ved=0ahUKEwin8NC6nqrLAhWC0xoKHWDnA7kQMwiGAShhMGE#h=530&imgdii=qiDFucJfFGW4oM:;qiDFucJfFGW4oM:;omLwkW_KDaIxmM:&w=795 ].

I'd name it samething : Day Dreaming

Rendered upto 30%, I've used both Genises 3 Male and Female,adjusted their age to 5 y, and I used Beacon Dog and applied Fur Shader to it's skin.

Posing the three Characters took me around 4 hours to achive what you see here.

I'm sure there is lot of things to adjust like light and dog nose and reflections from several parts in the scene.

This is a great start!

The girl's pose looks good, she is balanced.

Expression on the boy is very good.  As to his pose:  His head should be centered between the elbows so it looks like his hands are supporting the weight of his head. 

The dog is very cute.  If the figure allows you to put an S curl to his tongue that would make it more realistic (yes, I know we are talking about a cartoon dog here).

These are great poses!  There's some very good real world stuff going on here.  You have also brought in personality, very nice.

I suggest that you make a little distance between the figures (from the left) 2 and 3, so it doesn't look like girl 2 is touching girl 3. 

Some of the figures need to be seated more solidly on the ground.

Great job!

edited March 2016

And here's the second corrected "I hope so" Daydream, I've adjusted the boy right hand fingers pose and Dformed the grass around the two kids to remove the poking through their skin issue, changed bacon dog nose color and glossiness, I also changed the skydome which enhanced the environment lighting, have a look.

And thanks to Totte and Dracorn for your comments .... yes

G3068-Daydreaming.jpg
    1200 x 821 - 1M
    March2016-NUC-DayDream-2.jpg
    805 x 672 - 585K
    Post edited by h_habash on
    dracorn said:

Here's my preliminary for Freerun.  I wanted to get the poses into the scenery.  Lighting, costume, etc. will change.

My concept was to do a comic-book style progression frame.  I used videos of free runners for reference.

Thats wonderful, especially the sky and the building looks nice, the three figures poses have matching decending sequence from roof to ground, well done.

I have no comments about the scene as you've mentioned that you're still going to change the lighting and other things enlightened, but maybe you would conceder the middle lady hands pose depending on the time between landing on the roof and pushing to fly to next pose.

• From the AshesFrom the Ashes Posts: 32
    edited March 2016

I chose an image from "The Matrix" as my reference.  Here is my first try on matching the pose.  Haven't really worked on making her fit into the environment yet.  Still working on the posing, need to tweak it some more.  Seems Carrie-Anne Moss, the actress, is more flexible than Genesis 2.  I need to figure out how to bypass the limits on the model to get what I want I think.  This is the first time I've tried a complicated pose from scratch, still much to learn. :-)

Steam Trinity 002.jpg
    1200 x 742 - 498K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • From the AshesFrom the Ashes Posts: 32
    edited March 2016

Ooops - forgot to post the reference picture.

TheMatrixReloaded_Trinity.jpg
    500 x 337 - 35K
    Post edited by From the Ashes on
  • Trying out with genesis 2 and Atmospheric effect cameras - colorize B&W

ballet-body-3.jpg
    880 x 880 - 72K
    maart.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 537K
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

Trying out with genesis 2 and Atmospheric effect cameras - colorize B&W

One of the things Genesis 3 is supposed to offer is more flexibility in the feet which could help to achieve the "ballerina" feet look. You might try G2/G3 side by side to see. If you get the feet and the arch of the back right, you will really be onto something here.

edited March 2016

I chose an image from "The Matrix" as my reference.  Here is my first try on matching the pose.  Haven't really worked on making her fit into the environment yet.  Still working on the posing, need to tweak it some more.  Seems Carrie-Anne Moss, the actress, is more flexible than Genesis 2.  I need to figure out how to bypass the limits on the model to get what I want I think.  This is the first time I've tried a complicated pose from scratch, still much to learn. :-)

You are right, G2 figures at some points have a rather early limits and the way to bypass that is to select the little cogwheel on the parameters (eg the twist of an elbow) then click on the Parameter settings in the popup and then you can deselct "use limits" or just out in a higher value. BUT.. you need to be careful with that. The problem with copying poses from fotos os that you have only a flat view on tha pose, you can't urn around to see that knee is actually bent that mutch etc. So I repeat what I mentioned in my joke some posts up, try the pose yourself, see what your body wants from you to make it work, to find balance. That is kind of impossible with the jumping poses from the freerunners up above, or other poses in movement, then its worth to find similar poses from a different angle in the net.

Your original girl here has a stable pose, as she is landing from a jump, as that she she is pushing her backside out really far and has her upper body leaned straight forward, no sideways and no twist there. In your render she would fall backwards (look at her from the side to see where she has her balance point). As a tip (I assume you use some hdri background here?) use a "real" ground to see the touch points for reference, makes it much easier to get a feel for it.. . enough from me.

Post edited by Chohole on

Trying out with genesis 2 and Atmospheric effect cameras - colorize B&W

This is a rather tough pose, and you made a good start. A tip for this kind of work is to make a plane or backdrop in your render and add the original foto to it to make direkt comparisons. In this shot the camera angle plays a really important role to interpret the pose correctly. I guess you need to zoom in and get the camera to almost floor level. For the moment it seem to me she would fall backwarts as well, so her balace point needs to go higher and more to the center. To give a better idea for a normal standing person the hip/bottom is the balace point, when it is centered above the feet, we are in balance, the furterh it is away from the feet the more we neet to use the upper body as a means of balance.

• Thank you for the tips, I will try them out

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
    edited March 2016

PLEASE NOTE:

When you submit your "Final Entry" in the Entry Thread, be sure to post a link to the reference image you used for your pose (or upload it to the post if it is one of your pictures)

It is mentioned in the "Entry Thread" but I missed we hadn't put it here as well...OOPS blush Sorry about that (Or maybe we did an I am missing it but better to say it too much than get missed so LOL) Also, you may want to show it in the WIP thread as well to get the most helpful feedback possible, For the Final Entry though it is required smiley

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

I thought about your render and came up with some good ideas:  bring a little of their lives at each stage to add more story.  For example, your middle girl looks like she was taking dancing lessons at this point in her life.  Try to add more clues as to what was significant, like maybe a cell phone for the young teen, or something from Disneyland (or other place) for one of the younger girls.  Look around for props or outfits that will add to your story. 

• JackReasonJackReason Posts: 144
    edited March 2016

Based on Double Trouble for Willie Gillis by Norman Rockwell.

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/wp-content/uploads/satevepost/9420905.jpg

My intent was not to duplicate the picture exactly, but to capture the spirit. I tried to come close with the poses.

Full size...

http://www.daz3d.com/galleryimage/image/109320/double-trouble_full.jpg

Post edited by JackReason on

My intent was not to duplicate the picture exactly, but to capture the spirit. I tried to come close with the poses.

Full size...

Cool, my only suggestion to you is the left lady pose, try to strighten her back, in general the scene looks great.yes

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited March 2016

Here is my WIP trying to get the model pose (2nd on down on left hand side) from this picture I got from Google (Will Post ink when I find the pic again)

Image removed for nudity in last sub-image

A Made Pose.png
    655 x 1061 - 891K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

This is my finest "DayDream" post, changes from previeus one is the backgroud trees, grasses below characters, and light direction.

What bothers me now is the girl shirt, the fabric looks over twested from her underarm, previeusly this issue was not showing due to light direction.

March2016-NUC-DayDream-5.jpg
    805 x 672 - 601K

Here is my WIP trying to get the model pose (2nd on down on left hand side) from this picture I got from Google (Will Post ink when I find the pic again)

Very nice Saphirewild, and she looks soo funny {with my respect} I like it alot.

I guess you need to adjust the hair pose as well.

edited March 2016

Full size...

This is a great idea! I agree though that the back of the white dressed lady needs to be more straight. Time for a general hint about poses, and especially the form of the back on the genesis (especially 2) females. Thea have been given the form of a back when on high heels. so if you stick them in high heels that is fine but everything flat footed they look as if they have a disease deforming the back. there are several possibilities to change that, one of the easiest is, when you have the youth morphs to dial in a bit of youth posture. Otherwise with the genesis morphs there is the possibility to alter the hip rotation. I had put that together for last years posing contest, so that was before the g3 figures came out. The situation is not as bad there but some alteration would still help the ladies.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/be/6b52e1441937d97f5e3a432df6bc56.jpg

genesisbackmodelling.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 101K
    Post edited by Linwelly on