March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited March 2016

Here is my WIP trying to get the model pose (2nd on down on left hand side) from this picture I got from Google (Will Post ink when I find the pic again)

Image removed for nudity in last sub-image

You certainly didn't cut the easiest peace for you. ok, for one comparison is a bit hard as you chose a busted lady (nothing wrong with that but to make life easier for you, safe the morph, complete the posing with a "standart" model and when you are done add the morph back on).

Now the pinup girl has her body basically in a C shape with belly and chest on the outside of the C, there surely is a sideway move in there but that comes in a second step. Start with the hip (that valid for any posing) and then get her a solid stand, balance point is on one foot only so that must move in the middle position from the hip, the slight twist to the front adding to stability in this one. Pelvis and leg need a lot of rotation/ bend to get the leg up that far. now you lady needs to get her left ellbow down and try to keep the collarbones low. Don't forget that there are pectorals to move as well devil (I'm not a bad person, I want to help)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • dracorn said:

Penelope poses from young to old (WIP)

These are great poses!  There's some very good real world stuff going on here.  You have also brought in personality, very nice.

I suggest that you make a little distance between the figures (from the left) 2 and 3, so it doesn't look like girl 2 is touching girl 3. 

Some of the figures need to be seated more solidly on the ground.

Great job!

Thanks for the great tips, luckily it's a WIP, will repost when the render is finally done (on my poor laptop..) 

• dracorn said:

I thought about your render and came up with some good ideas:  bring a little of their lives at each stage to add more story.  For example, your middle girl looks like she was taking dancing lessons at this point in her life.  Try to add more clues as to what was significant, like maybe a cell phone for the young teen, or something from Disneyland (or other place) for one of the younger girls.  Look around for props or outfits that will add to your story. 

Thanks Dracorn, great ideas.. I'll be shopping for some props as I have none that match now. Great to have positive feedback, only started a couple of weeks ago on DAZ3D.. Any 3D actually, it's fun :)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    h_habash said:

Here is my WIP trying to get the model pose (2nd on down on left hand side) from this picture I got from Google (Will Post ink when I find the pic again)

Very nice Saphirewild, and she looks soo funny {with my respect} I like it alot.

I guess you need to adjust the hair pose as well.

Yes I know I have to work on the hair yet that is going to be a task in a half cause I not know how to move the hair on my own to pose it right!!!

• the_miragethe_mirage Posts: 5
    edited March 2016

Hi, 

Here's Penelope poses from young to old (WIP) draft 2. 

Still have a lot to change and I just read that in this contest, one is supposed to use a pose from a picture. I couldn't choose, so I'm just going from what I have in my mind. 
    More to follow...

generations_penelope_003.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by the_mirage on
    dracorn said:

I thought about your render and came up with some good ideas:  bring a little of their lives at each stage to add more story.  For example, your middle girl looks like she was taking dancing lessons at this point in her life.  Try to add more clues as to what was significant, like maybe a cell phone for the young teen, or something from Disneyland (or other place) for one of the younger girls.  Look around for props or outfits that will add to your story. 

Thanks Dracorn, great ideas.. I'll be shopping for some props as I have none that match now. Great to have positive feedback, only started a couple of weeks ago on DAZ3D.. Any 3D actually, it's fun :)

@the_mirage Watch out ,be careful,  because Daz is very addictive devil before you know it you will be turning out 2 maybe 3 renders a week!!!!! Giggles insanely!!! That being said some good props will make that render pop!!!

• maaert2.jpg
    1200 x 1484 - 1M
  • the_miragethe_mirage Posts: 5
    edited March 2016

Wow- Good job :D

I'll be sure to try my hand at the pictures on the site, good inspiration there!

Thanks!

Post edited by the_mirage on
    Linwelly said:

Image removed for nudity in last sub-image

You certainly didn't cut the easiest peace for you. ok, for one comparison is a bit hard as you chose a busted lady (nothing wrong with that but to make life easier for you, safe the morph, complete the posing with a "standart" model and when you are done add the morph back on).

Now the pinup girl has her body basically in a C shape with belly and chest on the outside of the C, there surely is a sideway move in there but that comes in a second step. Start with the hip (that valid for any posing) and then get her a solid stand, balance point is on one foot only so that must move in the middle position from the hip, the slight twist to the front adding to stability in this one. Pelvis and leg need a lot of rotation/ bend to get the leg up that far. now you lady needs to get her left ellbow down and try to keep the collarbones low. Don't forget that there are pectorals to move as well devil (I'm not a bad person, I want to help)

Thanks for the advise Linwelly I am going to use your suggestions in the next render laugh

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    h_habash said:

Very nice Saphirewild, and she looks soo funny {with my respect} I like it alot.

I guess you need to adjust the hair pose as well.

Yes I know I have to work on the hair yet that is going to be a task in a half cause I not know how to move the hair on my own to pose it right!!!

This depend on the hair you're using, there is two ways to move/adjust the hair, first thing you need to select the hair, then select the parameters tab and check if there is Actor/Pose (As seen in attached photo 1), and or from Shaping Tab [Some hairs have deferent styling] (attached photo 2). And don't forget that this all depends on the hair you are using.

New Picture1.jpg
    983 x 723 - 134K
    New Picture (1).jpg
    1024 x 608 - 104K
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Based on Double Trouble for Willie Gillis by Norman Rockwell.

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/wp-content/uploads/satevepost/9420905.jpg

My intent was not to duplicate the picture exactly, but to capture the spirit. I tried to come close with the poses.

Full size...

http://www.daz3d.com/galleryimage/image/109320/double-trouble_full.jpg

I was looking at the original, and in order for the girl in the white dress to be balanced, you need to bring her feet forward.  Notice that her shoulders are in line with her toes and her back is straight. 

And... the hair.  Oh boy, I can see a battle coming.  Sometimes posing hair would give me fits!  if you can get rid of the indentation, the hair would look more natural.  Hopefully you won't have torn out all your own hair before you are finished. 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited March 2016

Finally got a chance to get started.  Since I didn't get an answer at the beginning of the thread, I decided to just work on completely new poses that I hadn't started yet for my pose library for AM's wolf.

My reference photo:

My WIP:

There are things I still need to fix and I want to add another wolf in a dominant pose.  I just did this to see how the pose worked in comparrison to the original picture.  I don't know, yet, if I will keep the background scene or if I will change it up as it actually looks rather decent considering I bashed it together real quick.

78773acc64977ba77db92d7c9697550d.jpg
    533 x 800 - 103K
    78773acc64977ba77db92d7c9697550d.jpg
    533 x 800 - 103K
    SubmissiveWolf.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 529K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • Finally got a chance to get started.  Since I didn't get an answer at the beginning of the thread, I decided to just work on completely new poses that I hadn't started yet for my pose library for AM's wolf.

My reference photo:

My WIP:

There are things I still need to fix and I want to add another wolf in a dominant pose.  I just did this to see how the pose worked in comparrison to the original picture.  I don't know, yet, if I will keep the background scene or if I will change it up as it actually looks rather decent considering I bashed it together real quick.

You've got a good start going. I like the lighting that you have going on so far.

• I thought that I'd do something to remember my late uncle. One of the things that he had loved was riding motorcycles. (I still to this day remember the one time that he gave me a ride on his crotch-rocket. Even though he tried to take it easy on me, I was scared out of my whits and wanted nothing to do with it again. Heck I sware that my eyes were pressed into the back of my head from the acceleration, they were even watering.)

march2016a.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 640K
    296604-john-abraham-poses-with-his-new-super-bike-aprilia-rsv4.jpg
    600 x 398 - 42K
  • Changed to Luxrender, agfapan APX 400 (B&W) camera

maart.png
    1200 x 1484 - 2M

Finally got a chance to get started.  Since I didn't get an answer at the beginning of the thread, I decided to just work on completely new poses that I hadn't started yet for my pose library for AM's wolf.

My reference photo:

My WIP:

Knitting can you rotate your wolf a little so that its easier to compare? (or rotate camera a little around the wolf). Seems like a great start bit I have the impression tha original is a bit more making a curve. I like the idea of trying with an animal.

• Wow- Good job :D

I'll be sure to try my hand at the pictures on the site, good inspiration there!

Thanks!

Thank you. :).

• JackReasonJackReason Posts: 144

After reading comments, I made some changes. Thanks for the advice.

Full size...

double-trouble_full.jpg

edited March 2016

I thought that I'd do something to remember my late uncle. One of the things that he had loved was riding motorcycles. (I still to this day remember the one time that he gave me a ride on his crotch-rocket. Even though he tried to take it easy on me, I was scared out of my whits and wanted nothing to do with it again. Heck I sware that my eyes were pressed into the back of my head from the acceleration, they were even watering.)

Reminds me of my work on the matter from last year, original idea to that came from here: http://motocorsa.com/featured/ducati-1199-panigale-desktop-wallpapers-manigale

If you  would like to use a motorcycle closer to you original, I used this from share cg, http://www.sharecg.com/v/54753/browse/5/3D-Model/Ducati-Bike I didn't get to work the materails though, had to do them myself.

Good work so far

show-room2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 907K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

My reference photo:

My WIP:

Knittingmommy.  You can post the images in the WIP thread for feedback.  If entering I would use new poses and imges.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Shinji - Thanks.  I like the lighting, too.  I might keep that and just tweak it a little.

@Linwelly  I see what you mean.  I'll work on that some more because I think you are correct in that the waist is curved or twisted a little more toward the head.  I love working with animals and there simply aren't enough poses around for them.  I've had to do my own posing for most of the animals that I've used in renders.

Knittingmommy.  You can post the images in the WIP thread for feedback.  If entering I would use new poses and imges.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

@Kismet2012  I kind of figured on my own that that would be fair.  No worries about not getting back to me sooner.  This is a new pose and reference and not one I had already started before the contest.  Just started on this pose and the one I'll be adding yesterday.  If I post any poses that I want critiques about, I'll wait until I've finished my entries.  It would be nice to get some input on some of the other poses I've been working on for this wolf pose pack.  We'll see how it goes once I'm done with my official entry, or entries if I have time to do more than one.

Linwelly said:

I thought that I'd do something to remember my late uncle. One of the things that he had loved was riding motorcycles. (I still to this day remember the one time that he gave me a ride on his crotch-rocket. Even though he tried to take it easy on me, I was scared out of my whits and wanted nothing to do with it again. Heck I sware that my eyes were pressed into the back of my head from the acceleration, they were even watering.)

Reminds me of my work on the matter from last year, original idea to that came from here: http://motocorsa.com/featured/ducati-1199-panigale-desktop-wallpapers-manigale

If you  would like to use a motorcycle closer to you original, I used this from share cg, http://www.sharecg.com/v/54753/browse/5/3D-Model/Ducati-Bike I didn't get to work the materails though, had to do them myself.

Good work so far

I was curious about the bike as I like collecting 3d models of vehicles.  This link goes to a place without a download link.  Go here for the actual bike .obj.  Thanks for pointing toward the bike, Linwelly.  And, it does look close to the one in Shinji's reference photo.

Shinji - Have you worked with D-formers yet?  Using a deformer on your model's derriere would help make him look more like he is sitting on the bike and give it a more natural flow.  I'd try arranging the D-former on the model while he is naked, but just have the pants hidden.  Some clothes are pickier than others about fitting themselves to models with D-formers applied so you might have to actually fiddle with the pants afterward, too.  Conversely, if you are comfortable with modelling, you could also export your posed model and bike to a modelling program and create a morph.  I'm not sure what you've experimented with yet.  It would be so nice if there were products like Glute Control and Squish for the guys, but, unfortunately, not yet.  Let me know if you need links and I'll track them down in my bookmarks.

Linwelly said:

Good work so far

I was curious about the bike as I like collecting 3d models of vehicles.  This link goes to a place without a download link.  Go here for the actual bike .obj.  Thanks for pointing toward the bike, Linwelly.  And, it does look close to the one in Shinji's reference photo.

Shinji - Have you worked with D-formers yet?  Using a deformer on your model's derriere would help make him look more like he is sitting on the bike and give it a more natural flow.  I'd try arranging the D-former on the model while he is naked, but just have the pants hidden.  Some clothes are pickier than others about fitting themselves to models with D-formers applied so you might have to actually fiddle with the pants afterward, too.  Conversely, if you are comfortable with modelling, you could also export your posed model and bike to a modelling program and create a morph.  I'm not sure what you've experimented with yet.  It would be so nice if there were products like Glute Control and Squish for the guys, but, unfortunately, not yet.  Let me know if you need links and I'll track them down in my bookmarks.

Oh, thanks for adding the correct link,don't know why I got that wrong.

Linwelly said:

Linwelly said:

Good work so far

Oh, thanks for adding the correct link,don't know why I got that wrong.

I think it was more there was a problem with the page or how the uploader handled it.  Easy to do and luckily when I went to the page in your link, the correct page was one of the suggested pages of interest so I just clicked on that to see if there was actually a file.  There is only one word difference between the two links.

I will be working on my render tomorrow as today is my birthday well what is left of it anyway!!

Happy Birthday, Saphirewild!

Happy Birthday, Saphirewild!

Thanks Knitting!!!

edited March 2016

I've modified the pose a little more.  I think it is closer to the reference now.  After losing the fur object, I had to redo the surface settings from memory so those aren't exactly the same as the previous version.  I've since written those down now.  ;)  With the LAMH fiberhair, it is a little like working with Dynamic Clothing.  Every time you move the figure you have to redo the FiberHair export for Iray unless AM and Kendal have fixed that and I missed reading about it.  Anyway, here is the latest.  I changed the camera angle slightly so I think it is more in line with the reference for better comparison.  I also changed the shader on the rock the wolf is on.  Not sure if I like that or if I'll try another.  I'm definitely keeping the lighting as I like it the more I do renders with what I have set up.

SubmissiveWolf03.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 595K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@Knittingmommy - The front legs on the wolf in your reference image point a little more towards the corner of the image ( they are slightly off to the our left ) where your wolf's front legs and paws are pointing more to the centre. 

The body on the white wolf is slightly straighter behind the shoulders and your wolf looks like the body has more bend to it behind the shoulders.

The white wolf's hind leg is slightly twisted out away from his body and your wolf's hind leg looks a little straight...but this could be a by-product of the slight difference in their body bends.

@Knittingmommy - The front legs on the wolf in your reference image point a little more towards the corner of the image ( they are slightly off to the our left ) where your wolf's front legs and paws are pointing more to the centre. 

The body on the white wolf is slightly straighter behind the shoulders and your wolf looks like the body has more bend to it behind the shoulders.

The white wolf's hind leg is slightly twisted out away from his body and your wolf's hind leg looks a little straight...but this could be a by-product of the slight difference in their body bends.

Hi, Kismet, I see what you mean about the front paws.  I'll see if I can work on that.  I think I over compensated a little when I was trying to get that bend in the waist in the right position.  I'll see if I can back that off a little in the next pass on posing.  The back leg is partly because of trying to get his leg in the right position while also not falling into the rock.  For some reason, I can't get the wolf to work as well with ActivePose as I can the human figures so I'm having to rely mostly on just using the bend, twist and side to side movements in the Parameters tab.  As soon as I get the leg in the right position or close to it, I have to fix another part so it isn't sinking into the ground.  I'm getting there, though.  He is starting to look properly submissive.  Thanks for the comments.  I'm putting it away for tonight and I'll start fresh again in the morning.

• From the AshesFrom the Ashes Posts: 32
    edited March 2016

“Fired”

I appreciate the feedback it was very helpful. Once I turned the limits off I was able to move Genesis into the pose and looking at it from all angles made it more believable.

Here is my latest effort, and the reference image...

TheMatrixReloaded_Trinity.jpg
    500 x 337 - 35K
    Fired.jpg
    1200 x 742 - 394K
    Post edited by Chohole on