March 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Posing” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited March 2016

Made the changes that were recommended from Kismet and Dracorn and it helped alot.  Includes Male's r shoulder back, hand pressing more onto leg, wider stance with balance farther to his right. Female head turned more, her right foot flatter to the floor and more expression on their faces.  All excellent tips. Also my own adjustments I thought were needed.  I might have scaled his left foot to large but thats easy to fix.  

One thing that might be interesting for the narration would be to change part of her left arm to the same material as his as if she were changing into a human but he is pulling her back to the goblin world. Something like that would be fun to try but technically without using photoshop would it be possible. hum   

A 5 hr render but it looks like the final will have to go a bit longer for sure.  

goblin dancers eport render march 20.jpg
    1104 x 944 - 821K
    Post edited by Babalar1 on
  • KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69

Kismet2012, thank you for the confirmation.  Good to know I achieved my goal smiley  
    frank0314, thank you!

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69
    lulamfada said:

Decided to revise before posting the WIP.

You are off to a really good start.  For the girl, turn her head and eyes more to the left, and part her lips.  For the guy, turn his eyes up, and close his lips.

• posjonposjon Posts: 34

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest Render 4.

For this render I changed the backdrop dropped the prop. & added a distant light to give me a better idea of where the shadow is going to go. Still working on the pose & this will be my main focus. If all goes well my next render will be showing a completed pose, maybe. lol

Kismet2012 I cannot Thank you enough! Really :) you have deffinetly got me on the right path!

Pose Fashion.jpg
    236 x 314 - 9K
    Laura Lee Pose to Pose 3.png
    454 x 566 - 380K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    dracorn said:

OK, I'm an admitted skeptic concerning Victoria 7, as seen by my activity in recent discussions.  So, I decided, skeptic that I am, to see just how flexible V7 really is.  So I dug up a picture of a contortionist I found years ago.  I know that Genesis can't do this, and had never tried contorting G2, so I wanted to see if I could break V7. 

Hmm.  Turns out she does pretty good.  Can't get the pose exactly, because V7 needs a third abdomen to do this, but not bad I would say.  Does this convince me to go out and buy G3 stuff... the jury is still out.

It will need some postwork to add the flow of tea into the cup.

[Edit - need to resize the ref pic, it's too big]

Wow!

Here is my latest with some pose adjustments for my first wolf pose.

This looks really good.

dracorn said:

Been absent for a while (there's a life outside of Daz?)...

I had to redo the middle pose because it really wasn't a good transition to the lower jump.  Oh, and just because I'm a stubborn diehard, these are all Genesis figures.  So there!

Here's my reference photos.  I played the most with the top one, combining a couple of poses and giving her a salute.  The other two are pretty close to the photos, because I'm not trying to copy them exactly, just use them as a starting point. 

For my render, I'm still messing with the lighting.  As to the floating pot in the open window, I plan on putting a surprised woman in the room.  I'll get there.

This is great!

noseeum said:

Made the changes that were recommended from Kismet and Dracorn and it helped alot.  Includes Male's r shoulder back, hand pressing more onto leg, wider stance with balance farther to his right. Female head turned more, her right foot flatter to the floor and more expression on their faces.  All excellent tips. Also my own adjustments I thought were needed.  I might have scaled his left foot to large but thats easy to fix.  

One thing that might be interesting for the narration would be to change part of her left arm to the same material as his as if she were changing into a human but he is pulling her back to the goblin world. Something like that would be fun to try but technically without using photoshop would it be possible. hum   

A 5 hr render but it looks like the final will have to go a bit longer for sure.  

Nice!  I really like the skins on these two as well.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited March 2016

Wow!  Posing to small details is HARD! 

This is what I have so far...

edit: last second correction

302936.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 258K
    Last_Stand_02.jpg
    900 x 506 - 339K
    Post edited by dHandle on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    dHandle said:

Wow!  Posing to small details is HARD! 

This is what I have so far...

edit: last second correction

Yep...hard, time-consuming, fiddly, pain...but makes a huge difference to your image.

I can only find a couple of small things to mention. 

The right arm on your model looks slightly lower than the reference image.  With all that body armour it is difficult to tell for sure but it looks to me like the right arm of the guy in the reference image is straight out from the shoulder.  Also, the gun in the right hand of the reference image model appears to be straighter, and more horizontal along the top edge.  Your model's right hand looks okay so this might mean adjusting the gun itself.

I think your model has slightly too much bend at the waist.  The guy in the reference image looks like he is standing almost straight up and down ( an adjustment to Abdoment 2/Abdoment Upper ).

Really well done. 

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    Kaliadder said:

Wow, long week at work, and now I'm FINALLY able to get back to this.  ewcarman and Saphirewild, thanks for your input!

I do regret having missed last month's lighting contest, which I think I barely missed by a few days.  Lighting is a weak point of mine.  I usually rely on scripts or presets that I find, then tweak from there.  For the below, I added an emissive, then tweaked the lighting.  Also, I played some with the jaw and tweaked the expression a little.

I'm just about ready to finalize this and go for it.  What do y'all think?  Opinions/suggestions/etc are very welcomed and appreciated!

This is looking great. You could re-light it a dozen different ways and still be happy with it I believe. The torso and shoulders really look good to me.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited March 2016

Please make sure you guys are posting your reference when you submit your final image into the entry thread as well so we can judge it properly.

Post edited by frank0314 on

Thanks Kismet!  Good observations.

I straightened up the torso some.  He was leaning forward a bit too much. I also raised the right arm, and tried to adjust the gun positioning in both hands.  Still not perfect, but I think it may have more to do with adjusting the camera angle than the pose.

I changed a few of the smoke and mist elements, and adjusted the overall color to a sci fi greenish tint.

302936.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 258K
    Last_Stand_03.jpg
    900 x 506 - 366K
    dHandle said:

Thanks Kismet!  Good observations.

I straightened up the torso some.  He was leaning forward a bit too much. I also raised the right arm, and tried to adjust the gun positioning in both hands.  Still not perfect, but I think it may have more to do with adjusting the camera angle than the pose.

I changed a few of the smoke and mist elements, and adjusted the overall color to a sci fi greenish tint.

Nice job.  I could see in the thumbnails the difference in the pose you acheived.  Matching as close as possible the camera angle is a challenge all by itself and does make a difference.

Thanks Kismet,

I spent a ton of time working on this render, and not all of it on posing.  I didn't really get a chance to work on the blood splatter like in the reference image because I don't have a metallic sci fi armor set.

(and he's too cheap to buy one)

HEY!  Who said that!??

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230

This is my second entry "BodyBuilding", I started working on it last week, G2M for the body builder guy with Iray skin shader and body tweaking in the parameters to give him some big musles, G3M for the statue with Iray stone shader for his skin, one distant light and a couple of primatives for the surroundings.

Posing the bodybuilder guy was the greatest challange in the scene.

March2016-NUC-Photos-Dexter-Jackson-bodybuilder.jpg
    488 x 586 - 43K
    March2016-NUC-BodyBuilder 3.jpg
    593 x 672 - 337K

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest Render 5.

I just want to say this turned out to be more challenging than I had first percieved. Well at this point while waiting on my render to complete I noticed that the left foot needs a little more adjusting & that I need to bring the right foot down. I used 4 models for this render just to show all sides, as this turned out to be crucial to the pose. Going forward I will be using only one model for the contest. As always your advice and input is appreciated!

Pose Fashion.jpg
    236 x 314 - 9K
    Pose to Pose 1.png
    1306 x 566 - 1M
    posjon said:

I just want to say this turned out to be more challenging than I had first percieved. Well at this point while waiting on my render to complete I noticed that the left foot needs a little more adjusting & that I need to bring the right foot down. I used 4 models for this render just to show all sides. Going forward I will be using only one model for the contest. As always your advice and input is appreciated!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    dHandle said:

Thanks Kismet,

I spent a ton of time working on this render, and not all of it on posing.  I didn't really get a chance to work on the blood splatter like in the reference image because I don't have a metallic sci fi armor set.

(and he's too cheap to buy one)

HEY!  Who said that!??

Giggles I know what you mean about him being so cheap!!

h_habash said:

This is my second entry "BodyBuilding", I started working on it last week, G2M for the body builder guy with Iray skin shader and body tweaking in the parameters to give him some big musles, G3M for the statue with Iray stone shader for his skin, one distant light and a couple of primatives for the surroundings.

Great job! The only thing I noticed is the left hand on your model vs. the pic. The pic has just a slight tilt up showing the top between the index finger & thumb, the original pic's left hand is also slightly forward.

posjon said:
    h_habash said:

Great job! The only thing I noticed is the left hand on your model vs. the pic. The pic has just a slight tilt up showing the top between the index finger & thumb, the original pic's left hand is also slightly forward.

Thanks Posjon, regarding the left hand, I've noticed it too but as much as I tried to adjust it even tried to bypass G2M posing limitation, the body and hand becomes un-realistic, so I've kept it as it is to see how it will look like in render, I'll try to re-posing it again.

h_habash said:
    posjon said:
    h_habash said:

Thanks Posjon, regarding the left hand, I've noticed it too but as much as I tried to adjust it even tried to bypass G2M posing limitation, the body and hand becomes un-realistic, so I've kept it as it is to see how it will look like in render, I'll try to re-posing it again.

Ok, I do understand from working on my own for this contest. One thing that has helped me in those cases when it doesn't want to move the way you need try backing up from the hand to the forearm and seeing if it will allow any rotation. For me I had to do this several times and even backing all the up to the colar to get my hand pose to where I wanted. Just a thought. If you don't mind I also noticed the lighting that is what actually made me notice the hand is the reflection. The reason I point this out is maybe it is because of the lighting as to why it is showing. In other words I'm guessing you used a distant light. if this is the case you might want to try changing to a spot light as this is more than likely as to the models pose being onstage below a spot light. Good Luck it looks great!

Daz Studio 4.9 My newest model G2F created for the Pose contest Render 6.

Ok this is my final model, believe I just need a few more tweeks to this pose then on to a Scene! as alwasys your comments are valued! :)

Pose Fashion.jpg
    236 x 314 - 9K
    Laura Lee Pose to Pose 4.png
    1306 x 566 - 1M
    h_habash said:

Really good job.  Posing a figure with all those muscles is not easy.

Something I noticed is your statue.  The statue in the reference image is muscular.  Maybe it is because the surface of the stone you chose has a more shiny texture but I cannot see the muscles in the calf that appears in the reference image.  The right leg on the statue needs a slight bit more bend in it and your statue needs some more bed at the waist or possibly the right shoulder needs to be lowered.  The elbow of the statue in the reference image appears at the top of the picture.  Not much of the arm is visible but it is there.

You have done a very good job.

posjon said:

I just want to say this turned out to be more challenging than I had first percieved. Well at this point while waiting on my render to complete I noticed that the left foot needs a little more adjusting & that I need to bring the right foot down. I used 4 models for this render just to show all sides, as this turned out to be crucial to the pose. Going forward I will be using only one model for the contest. As always your advice and input is appreciated!

When I participated in this challenge I also found it very challenging.  It is totally different to create a pose for a scene.  It is quite another to recreate a pose from a reference image.  But what you learn through this exercise will really help you when posing your figures in the future.

I am also seeing things that need adjusting while watching an image render.  Usually during what I had hoped to be the final version.  angry

Your figure is very close to matching the reference image.  Adjust that foot (which you already mentioned) and a slight twist and maybe bend to her head to bring her face more into a 3/4 porfile and I think you wlll have it.

Well done.

posjon said:

Ok this is my final model, believe I just need a few more tweeks to this pose then on to a Scene! as alwasys your comments are valued! :)

Okay...based on this last image you need to move her head slightly from side to side to make it a little more upright.  She is facing the right way.  Her head needs to be moved sideways towards her right shoulder.

posjon said:

When I participated in this challenge I also found it very challenging.  It is totally different to create a pose for a scene.  It is quite another to recreate a pose from a reference image.  But what you learn through this exercise will really help you when posing your figures in the future.

I am also seeing things that need adjusting while watching an image render.  Usually during what I had hoped to be the final version.  angry

Your figure is very close to matching the reference image.  Adjust that foot (which you already mentioned) and a slight twist and maybe bend to her head to bring her face more into a 3/4 porfile and I think you wlll have it.

Well done.

Cool! :) Thank you much! I have been able to get to this point because of your guidence! you have a great eye for this!

posjon said:

Okay...based on this last image you need to move her head slightly from side to side to make it a little more upright.  She is facing the right way.  Her head needs to be moved sideways towards her right shoulder.

ok will do if all goes well you will see these last little details fall into line. This really has been a good experience! So close now :)

posjon said:
    h_habash said:
    posjon said:
    h_habash said:

Ok, I do understand from working on my own for this contest. One thing that has helped me in those cases when it doesn't want to move the way you need try backing up from the hand to the forearm and seeing if it will allow any rotation. For me I had to do this several times and even backing all the up to the colar to get my hand pose to where I wanted. Just a thought. If you don't mind I also noticed the lighting that is what actually made me notice the hand is the reflection. The reason I point this out is maybe it is because of the lighting as to why it is showing. In other words I'm guessing you used a distant light. if this is the case you might want to try changing to a spot light as this is more than likely as to the models pose being onstage below a spot light. Good Luck it looks great!

Thanks, I usually use the same method for posing a hand or leg, in this scene I started with his shoulder to the hand, and go back to shoulder downward, until I get close to what I'm aiming to achieve.

In other hand, your guessing is correct, I used a distant light with 100% intensity, I'll check it with the spot light and see the results.

Thanks for your comments and advises.

h_habash said:

Really good job.  Posing a figure with all those muscles is not easy.

Something I noticed is your statue.  The statue in the reference image is muscular.  Maybe it is because the surface of the stone you chose has a more shiny texture but I cannot see the muscles in the calf that appears in the reference image.  The right leg on the statue needs a slight bit more bend in it and your statue needs some more bed at the waist or possibly the right shoulder needs to be lowered.  The elbow of the statue in the reference image appears at the top of the picture.  Not much of the arm is visible but it is there.

You have done a very good job.

Thank you Kismet, you are absolutely right about the statue muscle, I've forgot to do it as my main concentration was with the body builder guy laugh, I'll add some muscles to his calf and adjust his pose some more,