There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 3

Comments

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

Since I already was going to purchase the Lesbian Intimacy poses today, I decided to dig through the "only new releases" sale-eligible items to see what I could see (even though, in general, if I wanted a new release enough at the time it was released, I already bought it), in order to best utilize my store credit and apology coupon for Donnie.

In addition to the pose kit, I added the Victorian Carriage, Oso Perrito, and the fur patterns add-on for same. Total of four new-ish items, after credit, coupon, and one token: $16.67. Acceptable. Thanks, Donnie!

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

in the 50-85% off sale, what is the cutoff for discounting? I'm not about to put everything in my cart to see what the % off is. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

Not sure there is one. I have a bunch in my cart and they are all 85%+ off. I think as long as you stick to the link it offers and pick only from them it "may" be unlimited. So far the tests I've done hasn't triggered a stop in the discount.

edited July 13

daveso said:

in the 50-85% off sale, what is the cutoff for discounting? I'm not about to put everything in my cart to see what the % off is. 

"Discount based on the age of the product."

In my tests the other day I think I was seeing 50% off for G8 stuff, in the 60% ish range for G3 stuff ... I think the 85% is for V4 era.

EDIT: and as Frank said, there didn't seem to be any limit on how many items you could get, as long as you stick to the curated eligible list.

EVEN LATER EDIT: Lies! I have told you lies! See the post further down. I THOUGHT I had checked on G3 stuff but I guess I hadn't.

Post edited by columbine on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

columbine said:

daveso said:

In my tests the other day I think I was seeing 50% off for G8 stuff, in the 60% ish range for G3 stuff ... I think the 85% is for V4 era.

EDIT: and as Frank said, there didn't seem to be any limit on how many items you could get, as long as you stick to the curated eligible list.

ok.thanks to Frank and columbine... makes sense 

I was just getting 89%-92% G8 and G8.1 stuff. The combo of the current sale price of the item and whatever the extra discount it was giving from the 50%-85%, I got most for 92% off.

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 317
    daveso said:

columbine said:

daveso said:

My experience checking prices not factoring other discounts was 70% off for 8.1, 75% off for new gen8, 80% off for older gen8 and gen 3, and 85% off for anything older.
    Just an FYI, HID's new model has an Editorial License. :(
  • XiousDs said:

Does someone have an idea why this may be?

XiousDs said:

daveso said:

columbine said:

daveso said:

My experience checking prices not factoring other discounts was 70% off for 8.1, 75% off for new gen8, 80% off for older gen8 and gen 3, and 85% off for anything older.

Yeah, I think when I did tests the other day I didn't dig down far enough. Sorry about the bad information.

I just started with a clean cart, no other discounts etc, and put in

- STF Tribal Armor G9/G8, a very recent item with a high 90000s SKU, and that's 50% off.

- TMA Andrea, a G8 with an SKU in the 80000s, which is 60% off.

- Athana G3/G8, SKU in the 50000s, 80% off.

Which means you're actually going to hit 80% or more off a lot sooner than I thought you would.

Also probably means I should go real quick and dig for G3 bargains while this sale's still running :P

And I went back and bought six more items, all in the low 50000s. I am weak.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,284

ainm.sloinneadh said:

XiousDs said:

Probably because of the striking likeness to Elizabeth Olsen? 

protosynthetic said:

"From toddlers to couples"? Ouch. No way at all that can be misconstrued.

Are you sure? I am finding it hard to read it as ouch-inducing.

When I read it, I was thinking cool a new aging morph set. Then I was disappointed.
  • joanna said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

XiousDs said:

Thank you, kindly. Not anyone I'm familiar with.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited July 14

frank0314 said:

I was just getting 89%-92% G8 and G8.1 stuff. The combo of the current sale price of the item and whatever the extra discount it was giving from the 50%-85%, I got most for 92% off.

...apparently the discounts have changed, (in some cases drastically)  since Friday

Hylas mentioned they got the Decimator (retail 102.95$) on Friday for around 7$ without Daz+ discounts or tokens, This would translate to a 93% discount. 

Today (Saturday) when I checked the same product I only saw a 65% discount , quite a mark up from teh previous day.  The product came out back in June 2011 about the same time as Daz 4.0 and Genesis 1 were released which technically would put it in the "back stock" category.

Having hardware about as old. I felt it would be a wonderful tool to hold down poly counts for background characters, but the best price I can get is about 28$ with my  Daz+ DO coupon and the single token I have  (which is still a bit out of the old budget).

ETA.

OK after all that found something interesting

At the same time I put the Decimator in my cart I also had one of yesterday's Daz+ items there as well.  When I removed the new Daz+ item, the price for the Decimator dropped to 5.41$. So the trick is don't put any new items in your cart, just ones on the sale.   

line break.jpg
    700 x 3 - 1K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

joanna said:

As far as I can tell, none of HID's other characters have an EL, and the vast majority of them are celebrity lookalikes, so it's still valid to ask why THIS one.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited July 14

...well did pretty good for 12.58$ (using my Daz+ DO coupon). In addition to the Decimator. I picked up a few items off the wishlist: The Desert Hotel Bundle, Sci-Fi Blast Bundle, First Bastion's lo Poly Oncoming Traffic,   

Almost feels like March Madness in the old days.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,687

XiousDs said:

thanks a bunch, didn't see that! Out of the cart she goes, ruining my build-up ... 

• protosyntheticprotosynthetic Posts: 118

Gordig said:

joanna said:

As far as I can tell, none of HID's other characters have an EL, and the vast majority of them are celebrity lookalikes, so it's still valid to ask why THIS one.

Because the Olsens are a self-licensing powerhouse.

kyoto kid said:

frank0314 said:

...apparently the discounts have changed, (in some cases drastically)  since Friday

Hylas mentioned they got the Decimator (retail 102.95$) on Friday for around 7$ without Daz+ discounts or tokens, This would translate to a 93% discount. 

Today (Saturday) when I checked the same product I only saw a 65% discount , quite a mark up from teh previous day.  The product came out back in June 2011 about the same time as Daz 4.0 and Genesis 1 were released which technically would put it in the "back stock" category.

Having hardware about as old. I felt it would be a wonderful tool to hold down poly counts for background characters, but the best price I can get is about 28$ with my  Daz+ DO coupon and the single token I have  (which is still a bit out of the old budget).

ETA.

OK after all that found something interesting

At the same time I put the Decimator in my cart I also had one of yesterday's Daz+ items there as well.  When I removed the new Daz+ item, the price for the Decimator dropped to 5.41$. So the trick is don't put any new items in your cart, just ones on the sale.   

The prices being different by the day are dependent on the sales of the day because this offer 50%-85% off is stackable with the offers of the day if applicable.

Gordig said:

joanna said:

That was kind of my thought since most of the models look like twins of celebrities. Even a couple models not listed on the look a like list i found looked just like some celebrities. Course there are so many famous people and so many people, even not trying to make something look like someone you are bound to do so anyways if aiming for realistic.
    tsroemi said:

XiousDs said:

thanks a bunch, didn't see that! Out of the cart she goes, ruining my build-up ... 

I added then removed her from my wishlist for that reason. There are so many good looking models that I would rather get something similar that I don't have to worry about the license on.
    edited July 14
    Anyone think it's worth picking up most of Polish's back catalog that is like 90-92% off? It's a big discount, and the items are pretty old, but Polish has some really good stuff. I just have not messed with the old stuff to know how well they hold up compared to the new stuff.
    Post edited by XiousDs on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

XiousDs said:

Anyone think it's worth picking up most of Polish's back catalog that is like 90-92% off? It's a big discount, and the items are pretty old, but Polish has some really good stuff. I just have not messed with the old stuff to know how well they hold up compared to the new stuff.

Polish's older stuff looks great, and it renders like the promos when you use the default HDRI. If you don't mind their quirky way of putting together their models (difficult to kitbash due to missing geometry under or behind things), you'll be happy. 

xyer0 said:

XiousDs said:

Polish's older stuff looks great, and it renders like the promos when you use the default HDRI. If you don't mind their quirky way of putting together their models (difficult to kitbash due to missing geometry under or behind things), you'll be happy. 

Seconding that ... all of that. Polish builds kits with the second-most "longevity" in my opinion (after Stonemason). In fact you may do better with the older kits. Recently Polish has gotten really bad about the way surfaces are broken up, unusable geometry, no articulation (doors don't open), things like that.

Gordig said:

joanna said:

It amused me wryly because I had to come to the forum to find out who she was deemed to too much resemble, while the very same day Feng had Damian, who is a dead ringer for a young Daniel Craig -- to the point where I can't use him because people would think I wanted the resemblance on purpose -- but no EL there.

columbine said:

Gordig said:

joanna said:

It amused me wryly because I had to come to the forum to find out who she was deemed to too much resemble, while the very same day Feng had Damian, who is a dead ringer for a young Daniel Craig -- to the point where I can't use him because people would think I wanted the resemblance on purpose -- but no EL there.

Lol. I had thought the very same thing. I like mixing models of famous looking people to see what they would potentially look like with combined builds.
  • columbine said:

Gordig said:

joanna said:

Same! Damain/Daniel is so obvious.

• Yikes, I bought a lot of stuff with these all-new/all-not-new sales.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,305
    edited July 14

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Yikes, I bought a lot of stuff with these all-new/all-not-new sales.

Me too - I got a few more things off my wishlist and a few other things that I couldn't resist at over 90% off (with a couple of tokens and a DAZ+/PA coupon) - great day for me!

Post edited by MelanieL on