There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 3

Comments

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,687

Am with you all concerning the 'fun' store frontpage today, I read the news each morning BEFORE hopping over to DAZ and starting breakfast for a reason. Thanks for messing up my day, DAZ. 

The founding fathers' outfit does look good though, tbf, and also the golfer one I think ---? I kinda can't bear to look to closely. But the belt looks nicely realistic, doesn't it?

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 717

tsroemi said:

Am with you all concerning the 'fun' store frontpage today, I read the news each morning BEFORE hopping over to DAZ and starting breakfast for a reason. Thanks for messing up my day, DAZ. 

The founding fathers' outfit does look good though, tbf, and also the golfer one I think ---? I kinda can't bear to look to closely. But the belt looks nicely realistic, doesn't it?

I didn't really look at the golfer outfit, though my brief glimpse of the blue overcoat I liked because it's hard to find decent outerwear. Not sure about the little lapel pin(?) but I refuse to buy any of it on principle, so it's a moot point.

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 317
    edited July 11

barbult said:

What can we say? Political discussion is not allowed here.

Which is one of the things I love about 'here.'  It's nice to escape all the (waves hands at everything) just be an artist among other artists for a while.

I'm with @ainm.sloinneadh on that whole-body, motor-retch reaction.

But I suppose I shouldn't be shocked. If they're going to release a lot of president-themed environments (which was off-putting enough), I guess it's inevitable that they'd release recognizable people to go in them.

Like one, like the other, or hate them both, now you can have a fun outlet of having someone sniffing lines of girls hair, sitting on golden toilets, hunting dinosaurs, wearing rabbit outfits, playing hide and go seek with an elephant or donkey, performing as a clown or mime, single handedly fending off a planetary invasion from Martian zombies, flying in the sky destroying nukes mid flight, swolled up at super speeds saving polar bears from raging fires and boiling waters, or wrestling in a dead lock, eating pudding, or golfing while the whole world burns in the background. Sometimes you have a choice to laugh instead of cry and this allows one a interesting creative outlet. Lol. Won't make the world a better place, but can have fun making scenes venting one's frustrations or just old school Saturday Night live comedy. But then again, comedy makes the world a better place, so maybe it will? Lol
    Post edited by XiousDs on
  • protosyntheticprotosynthetic Posts: 118

Just be real careful what you depict either or them doing, or have done to them. Last thing you want is men in black at your door.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

SilverGirl said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

Hylas said:

Someone check on the marketing team, are they alright? 

What an odd editorial decision. I don't know what to think any longer. As a Brit, a very easy day - and possibly weekend - to skip.

As an American, today might have the greatest stacking sales in the world... but I'll never know it because frankly I couldn't stomach scrolling down far enough to find out.

Heh, sadly my eyes HAD to endure in such venturous torture.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,155

I'm thoroughly repulsed. Hard pass all of it. Don't want el superheroes either.

frank0314 said:

SilverGirl said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

Hylas said:

Someone check on the marketing team, are they alright? 

What an odd editorial decision. I don't know what to think any longer. As a Brit, a very easy day - and possibly weekend - to skip.

As an American, today might have the greatest stacking sales in the world... but I'll never know it because frankly I couldn't stomach scrolling down far enough to find out.

Heh, sadly my eyes HAD to endure in such venturous torture.

Mad sympathy. Seriously.  

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,284

I'm joining the digusted team. I find today's bundle it in extremely bad taste, especially considering all the things that we can't discuss here.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 327

I am pretty sure forum moderation team must be delighted with that idea :D

I have no problem and find it funny. Vote with your wallets and all that.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,155

Just to be clear, I would pass on todays featured items even if they were free. I guess that's the extent of what I can say here. Wouldn't want to be political or anything. >_>

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited July 11

...hey, it's Trelane from the original Star Trek. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,182

The seperate parts of both the golfer outfit and the presidential outfit seem useful to me. Very hard pass on everything else.
    At least, with 8 tokens, I can get the golfer outfit + texture addon + presidential outfit down to a total of $10.99, and qualify to benefit from the other discounts.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,557

For me, today's releases were like a late birthday gift; I bought the two base figures and the hair without hesitation. DAZ did a good job of presenting them in a neutral and lighthearted way, with no real mentions of their respective flaws or political positions. I follow politics closely and daily, and if anyone could use a break from it, it should be me - and yet I'm more excited about being able to use these characters than any other products in a while.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

I think Donny and Joey promotion will last over the weekend.
    With my tokens being good until end of Sunday, I have time to wait for better discounts but eventually, they will land in my cart.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,205

The only word I have to describe this is repellant. Ugh. Hard pass.

My guess is that for everyone that is a hard pass, there is the same that will get it. I am sure DAZ figured as much. It probably the same for when they release fantasy stuff with some folks hating fantasy, sci-fi stuff with some folks hating sci-fi, horse stuff with some folks hating horse stuff, or skimp wear stuff with some folks hating that. The models look good, and I eventually plan on playing with them to see what you can come up with when mixing different morphs.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,774
    I almost puked in my pillow
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,792
    edited July 11

I hope today's release doesn't lead to a bunch of awful memes. Twitter (not calling it X) is already bad enough. We already have people using AI to depict politicians and people of note, and now 3D. I don't think it's cool to depict celebrities in 3D (unless in a flattering way) and I'm pretty sure people will be using these characters in mostly unflattering ways. As someone who is concerned about the future of my country, I just hope my candidate of choice isn't depicted too badly and the memeverse doesn't get out of hand. Memes often depict misinformation that people then believe is true. We need elections decided by facts not memes. 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,284

XiousDs said:

My guess is that for everyone that is a hard pass, there is the same that will get it. I am sure DAZ figured as much. It probably the same for when they release fantasy stuff with some folks hating fantasy, sci-fi stuff with some folks hating sci-fi, horse stuff with some folks hating horse stuff, or skimp wear stuff with some folks hating that. The models look good, and I eventually plan on playing with them to see what you can come up with when mixing different morphs.

To me, it's not a matter of "this is not the genre I want" but a matter of good taste. I don't "hate" releases of everyday outfits, contemporary houses and apartments, or bazillion of swimwear, lingerie and skimpwear, for which I have no use of, and I doubt other people who have no interest in them "hate" them either. In those cases, from what I observed on the forum, most express disappointment ("nothing for me today"), and not hate ("fantasy is so horrible and I hate it when Daz releases here"), but in this case, it's mostly disgust the way I read it, in the dictionary meaning of "to offend the good taste, moral sense, etc., of; cause extreme dislike or revulsion in."

joanna said:

XiousDs said:

To me, it's not a matter of "this is not the genre I want" but a matter of good taste. I don't "hate" releases of everyday outfits, contemporary houses and apartments, or bazillion of swimwear, lingerie and skimpwear, for which I have no use of, and I doubt other people who have no interest in them "hate" them either. In those cases, from what I observed on the forum, most express disappointment ("nothing for me today"), and not hate ("fantasy is so horrible and I hate it when Daz releases here"), but in this case, it's mostly disgust the way I read it, in the dictionary meaning of "to offend the good taste, moral sense, etc., of; cause extreme dislike or revulsion in."

My thought is there are SO many characters who look like famous people, purposefully. So this would be the genre, realistic characters inspired by real people in the public eye. Some folks think bad taste, others think fun. We get lots of folks who complain about sales tactics, my self included ( when it is evidentally still working for DAZ) who potentially express their feelings in the forum, but that does not necessarily represent the majority of the buying force. If a bunch end up selling, then they did good. If not, they will reevaluate future decisions. They made a character who looked like it was supposed to be Jesus Christ around easter, so why not 2 presidents right after independence day and in a big election year? Folks who want it can buy it, and those who don't can pass. It doesn't push any agendas other then making or possibly losing money. Lol.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Was there already a pink tutu for G9? cheeky

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

I had unexpected expenses recently and decided to compensate for it by curbing my DAZ spending. Fortunately, the store is making it very easy.

edited July 11
    PerttiA said:

I don't know, but maybe next Thursday we can have a great quality clown and mime set for G9. Lol It could have big top clown bundle, rodeo clown bundle, mime bundle, and magical morphing clown shoes. Lol It would need horror addons.
    Post edited by XiousDs on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

XiousDs said:

PerttiA said:

I don't know, but maybe next Thursday we can have a great quality clown and mime set for G9. Lol It could have big top clown bundle, rodeo clown bundle, mime bundle, and magical morphing clown shoes. Lol It would need horror addons.

Well there's already a classic mime set: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mime-artist-for-genesis-9

Leana said:

XiousDs said:

PerttiA said:

Well there's already a classic mime set: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mime-artist-for-genesis-9

Lol. I forgot about that one coming out. It's in my wish list.
  • EtaminEtamin Posts: 129

Hard pass on this utterly repellant and tasteless offering.

XiousDs said:

Folks who want it can buy it, and those who don't can pass. It doesn't push any agendas other then making or possibly losing money. Lol.

We still have it shoved in our faces, though... today, this weekend, again whenever they do a "catch-up" sale, and likely in every place where they're advertising the hot recent bundles. 

I'm gonna be honest... after today, I'm dreading November's sales. And I had been looking forward to them as a bright spot in what is likely to be a rough month.

Okay, can I giggle at how fast Daz CAN pivot when it wants to? I just got an orange banner advertising 50-80% off if I include NO new releases in my cart. Exp. 7/14 end of day.

• joanna said:

I'm joining the digusted team. I find today's bundle it in extremely bad taste, especially considering all the things that we can't discuss here.

I'm already ill, I didn't need to see someone I despise here for sale on Daz.  Won't say who.