DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?

Comments

• barbult said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Name : 
    Genesis9
    Label : 
    Genesis 9
    Class : 
    DzFigure
    Vertices : 
    25,182 / 25,182
    Quads : 
    25,156 / 25,156
    Total Faces : 
    25,156 / 25,156

Name : 
    DAZ_Horse3_26111
    Label : 
    DAZ_Horse3
    Class : 
    DzFigure
    Vertices : 
    26,111 / 26,111
    Quads : 
    25,592 / 25,592
    Total Faces : 
    25,592 / 25,592

I infer that Daz Horse 3 was not made from G9 then.

cheeky but I checked anyway 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,928
    edited December 2022

...interesting as earlier today there must have been a glitch in the store as it let me select just Horse 3 (that I no longer can do) which was priced at something like 44$ & change.  Even after figuring in my punch discount it was about twice as expensive as the entire Sleigh Ride Bundle (which I have no interest in as most of it is G9 oriented).

Horse 2 works just fine for my needs.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • The mil horse looks very nice if you pick up CWRW's textures for it.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,347

Whilst people are busy ripping into Daz Horse 3, (and by extension the PA that created it), please bear in mind that the PA is AM (Alessandro), who is one of the most talented PAs we have here, and is responsible for some of the best animal models in the store. I know very little about horses, so I fully accept the issues people that do know them have raised. However it is only a beta version of the final model, so maybe some of those problems will be cleaned up, we just don't know yet. I am not sure why it was not up to AM's normal high quality, maybe that will be made clear later.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,814

Havos said:

Whilst people are busy ripping into Daz Horse 3, (and by extension the PA that created it), please bear in mind that the PA is AM (Alessandro), who is one of the most talented PAs we have here, and is responsible for some of the best animal models in the store. I know very little about horses, so I fully accept the issues people that do know them have raised. However it is only a beta version of the final model, so maybe some of those problems will be cleaned up, we just don't know yet. I am not sure why it was not up to AM's normal high quality, maybe that will be made clear later.

Where do you see information that says the Horse 3 was made by AM? Where do you see a statement saying that this is only a beta version? I haven't seen any of that information. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,862
    edited December 2022

From DS:

horse3.PNG
    540 x 67 - 2K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

Havos said:

Are we sure that AM didn't just design the reindeer? 

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 606

It looks like Alessandro Mastronardi created the reindeer and is working on the horse. Maybe he will see this and make changes based on feedback.

• MelissaGT said:

Havos said:

Yep, open the Horse3 .duf in a text editor and that is the name under Author. Normally AM's stuff is out of this world good, which makes this even more "WTF?" 

Thank you all for the information about AM and the Horse/Reindeer. You are much more clever than I at ferreting out information.

• barbult said:

Thank you all for the information about AM and the Horse/Reindeer. You are much more clever than I at ferreting out information.

No worries, I am constanly pulling .duf files into notepad++, either to check file paths on my own stuff or to track down wayward texture/data folders 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited December 2022

MelissaGT said:

Havos said:

Yep, open the Horse3 .duf in a text editor and that is the name under Author. Normally AM's stuff is out of this world good, which makes this even more "WTF?" 

Yeah, I own most of it. I can only hope the base horse gets fixed because it is legit not usable in its current state. I don't need perfect, but I do at least need a reasonable approximation. For now I will have to stick with Harry for any horses I need.
    Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • MelissaGT said:

DreamWeever said:

MelissaGT said:

Havos said:

Yeah, I own most of it. I can only hope the base horse gets fixed because it is legit not usable in its current state. I don't need perfect, but I do at least need a reasonable approximation. For now I will have to stick with Harry for any horses I need.

Thing is at this point the mesh is final, any fix will just be in the form of third party addons, that is what the new horse is going to be at its base shape.

It would be too much time and effort for them to go and resculpt the horse and redo any add on characters, (ie Reindeer), that are already in the pipeline at this point. And a resculpt is what it would need to fix the hooves and eyes that are the biggest eeek.

Also after having a look at how its been mapped it will possibly be a bit of a cow to make textures for with the hooves not split off from the coat, might not be so bad in a 3D paint program but for anyone who only has 2D programs for doing textures it will not be fun. Made enough texture over the years to know :) 

• someone will probably make a horse 2 clone

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Jonstark said:

nonesuch00 said:

AllenArt said:

Here are some of the horses side by side. You decide ;)

My ranking:

1) DAZ Horse 2

2) Hivewire Horse

3) Linday Morph

4) DAZ Horse 3

+1   That's exactly the way I see it too.  However glancing at the rest of the thread, seems the majority prefer the Hivewire Horse as #1.  That said, the Hivewire one looks pretty great to me too, I just like Horse2 better.

Horse3 ought to be down at number 49, if only there were more entries...  Green horses on mars would be freaked out if you showed them Horse3  :)   Even the horses that the Nazgul rode would say,

"Damn what the hell is that ugly thing?!"  :)

LOL, well the poor thing is not as far gone as it seems to be but number 5 as out of 4 seems right. Part of it's very odd look is it's a chesnut coloring in bright lights at an awkward angle and background in the render. The muscle anatomy needs fixed though. I'm wondering what they used as source picture to model it.

I'm not returning the bundle though in any case. I expect fixes.

• Havos said:

Then as a creator, he should be able to handle the feedback, both positive and negative, in order to make a finished product that is up to standards expected for 3D content these days. The thing I've noticed about Daz PAs is that once its known who made a product or had a hand in it, posters here circle the wagons around them and protect/insulate them from any and all feedback that's perceived as negative, even if it's phrased in a constructive/helpful way. 

He is otherwise a fantastic PA, but this grotesque "horse" is not up to his best work and I hope they don't rush this product out to market without taking the time to listen to feedback and fix it.

• I guess it would make sense if the DH3 is the odd shape it is because it's a base model to morph breeds and other beasts like the reindeer from, but it definitely doesn't show the horse to its best potential if that's the case.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025
    edited December 2022

Bought it for the reindeer and in the hopes that Horse 3 ends up being a more actively used base for creature morphs. That said, every time I get an item with dForce hair I'm reminded of why I avoid buying items with dForce hair. If someone wants to make some non-dForce manes and tails for this figure I'll be all over 'em. 

I'm specifically looking for a giant sheep or goat (the script I'm working from describes the animal one of the characters rides as looking like a draft horse version of Black Phillip), but in general I'd like to see more fantasy animals that are usable as mounts and that can be easily customized. Daz has a lot of monsters available, but not many tame (or at least not overtly scary looking) animals for fantasy illustrations. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,763

from reading AMs post on artstation, it may be exactly as someone else pointed out, to get the product, especially the reindeer, out in time for Christmas. 

ANYWAY - i have the sleigh bundle in my cart but what interested me more was the ability to get 85% off up to 5 bundles. Believe it or not, one of them is the DH2 Pro Bundle which I never bought beofre, but it came to $5.28 so rounds that horse out nicely.  I also bought 4 other bundles which all in all totalled $45 including the Sleigh Bundle. Into the West mega bundle for $6. Hell ja. 

Horse 3 though seems over muscled to me as well..chest, legs. I'm no horse person but I've never seen a horse look like that. 

• Absolutely reindeer. Could use some more textures, as well as antler morphs and/or hidable parts, though...

For a diversion:

Render contest: "good horse with a gun".

Examples:

- Maybe this one's too morbid: it could have a gun in the mouth, still with the hand of the shooter attached. Perhaps? Could be a promo attempt for "a severed man" [and his horse].

- Less bloody: the horse is dragging their companion gun-person around to where they should be [drunk, by the suspenders, what not]. Showing off dforce.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

FWIW, I'd have believed AM to do the reindeer (which I'm completely happy with, btw - as I said before), but would never have believed that he did the horse. Hoping the horse is fixed at some juncture because it's not very useable as-is (which isn't terrible since I have other horses). I wasn't trying to disparage the PA who made it, but it is what it is and it's not very good and certainly not up to AM's usual work (which IMVHO is fantastic usually). It's a fluke for sure ;).

• The rodent base was a more neutral base not quite like any of the animals it would morph into, so fingers crossed that's the plan here.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,763

when your average art viewer sees a piece with  a horse in it, like pulling a stagecoacj or something, , do they hyper analyze the overall hooves, eyes, mane, and all that? Maybe if its the focus, but if there's a raiding party trying to hijack the safe? 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited December 2022

I almost forgot about the bestest horsey probably out right now - Predatron's LoRes Horse 2. If Predatron decided to do different breeds and addons for this horse, I would NOT be offended...lol (and would be ready with my wallet :P ) Even the higher res one is still low on resources and looks good doing it.

LoRes Horse 2 02 web.jpg
    1143 x 889 - 151K
    Post edited by AllenArt on

AlmightyQUEST said:

The rodent base was a more neutral base not quite like any of the animals it would morph into, so fingers crossed that's the plan here.

Unfortunately, there never was a diverse set of future morphs for the rodent base. We got the original squirrels, and then I think there was a porcupine, much later. Then it was abandoned. I hope that doesn't happen with the Horse 3.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I just did a render and for sure he's not done with it yet. I couldn't pose/morph the nostrils at all.

Crystal Cave Caballo

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,928

AlmightyQUEST said:

The rodent base was a more neutral base not quite like any of the animals it would morph into, so fingers crossed that's the plan here.

...I was hoping more related critters would have been based off of it.  

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

AM's current animals are fairly good quality, but earlier works (moose, caribou, bears, etc) were 'off' on the shape/rigging a bit (IMO) which is why I never really purchased any.It's obvious he has gotten better with time and experience looking at his newer creatures (except for this horse). Hopefully he revisits it and takes the feedback into account.

• Glad I sat this one out, was looking forward to a new horse model frown

Starting to think Daz pre-order = "This product is probably going to stink, so let's bundle it up and offer pre-order so we can make some $ before people find out"

This is the second Daz animal of late that I've been eagerly waiting for, but has not been any good. The Daz Gorilla that got released a year or two back was not good either frown