DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?

Comments

• Morph addon request.

stylized toon morphs and textures.

all I have is 3dUnivrse tumbleweed and lady little fox Diamond.  I don't have haywire horse and toon morph but I may have to go grab at some point with such limited options.  Valiant knight toon or stylized riding in on Tumbleweed?  LOL.

google Disney Horse and take all my money.  I don't do western images, least not with horses.  How about a stylized modern day police horse.  Would love male/female variations.

oh who am I kidding.  It's Genisis 9 Cenitars and more of the same.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,862
    edited December 2022

I agree that a toon horse would be a great option for DH3, but Hivewire's Toon Horse is already exactly a Disney horse. Also, as someone who does a lot of centaur renders, I can assure you we don't have an embarrassment of riches to choose from, either.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

MelissaGT said:

I showed the comparison shot to a friend who owns horses and in her words...the head of DH3 is "nightmare fuel"...

...and the back hooves are all wrong...

I took a couple screenshots of the included poses and...yikes...

"A face that only a mutant camel could love..."  :) 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Well, my plans got shot as I'm snowed in for Christmas so I went ahead & bought the Sleigh Ride Bundle for less than $20 bucks. A good deal.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

AllenArt said:

Here are some of the horses side by side. You decide ;)

My ranking:

1) DAZ Horse 2

2) Hivewire Horse

3) Linday Morph

4) DAZ Horse 3

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,864

nemesis10 said:

The horsey

Dude ain't cute. Kinda toonish too, or mulish. His mane and conehead cranium make him look like one of the Beat-uhls. I would've commissioned OOT or Linday to do the mane & tail, but that makes too much sense. The reindeer looks like it will have to be worth the $14.

• Ugh, since G9 was realeased it fells like I was only able to post negative stuff and unfortunately DH3 isn't doing anything to change that. That head looks like it's just waiting for an undead texture.

On the other hand I don't much care; I'm happy with the sleigh and reindeer, and between DH2; lorez horses and how much horse stuff I'm rendering, I don't really need another one, nor do I want to buy the things I already have for them again. What would make me buy things is a good looking hair solution that is not strand based and doesn't eat up half the resources in the scene.

• Korpin.SulatKorpin.Sulat Posts: 414
    edited December 2022

The taper of the jaw combined with the bunching of the mouth makes it look like it's toothless.

Post edited by Korpin.Sulat on
  • It would make a great Zombie Horse. laugh that face though. it's scary.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

zombietaggerung said:

It would make a great Zombie Horse. laugh that face though. it's scary.

But we got a nice Zombie horse already. And the above picture doesn't show the really nice Lo-Res Horse, which had it's own bundle with a really cart and tacks and stuff... so the only thing that make me want to buy DH3 would be when it would be sure that more four-legged creatures based on it would come soon(ish), not only that Reindeer... which looks nice...

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

FWIW, I think the DH3 was worth the price for the reindeer and sleigh.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

AllenArt said:

THANK YOU! you saved me money on buying Horse 3. It looks terrible, especially the head and hoofs. I have all the other options, so I am good till a better horse comes out. This reminds me of the Big Cat 2 fiasco with the big, blocky paws

• semperequstrisemperequstri Posts: 150
    edited December 2022

FSMCDesigns said:

AllenArt said:

THANK YOU! you saved me money on buying Horse 3. It looks terrible, especially the head and hoofs. I have all the other options, so I am good till a better horse comes out. This reminds me of the Big Cat 2 fiasco with the big, blocky paws

Agree 100% . To this lifelong horse person ( breeding showing training) and equestrian artist the DH3 looks BAD. The shoulders just look wrong and the head and feet!-yikes! And the ears- don't get me started on the ears! 

I thought DH2 was bad enough but this effort is disappointing to say the least. I'll stick with Hivewire's horse for the rare times I need a reference to draw from. Even that's not ideal, but it's still WAY better. 

Post edited by semperequstri on
  • MelissaGT said:

I showed the comparison shot to a friend who owns horses and in her words...the head of DH3 is "nightmare fuel"...

...and the back hooves are all wrong...

I took a couple screenshots of the included poses and...yikes...

Yikes is right! that is NOT the way a horse uses it's legs and feet while trotting and that rear is hideous.  As someone who's got 50 + years of  horse experience and is also an equestrian artist, this just looks WRONG on so many levels.

Well, looks like I'll be saving a lot of moneyindecision

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    frank0314 said:

mwokee said:

Do you have to install the items in the bundle manually? Are there instructions somewhere on how to install manually? I have minimal skill with Daz Studio.

You can install with DIM or manually. Are you on Windows or Mac?

I was able to install. I wasn't seeing the products the first time I went into the installer.
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

xyer0 said:

nemesis10 said:

The horsey

Dude ain't cute. Kinda toonish too, or mulish. His mane and conehead cranium make him look like one of the Beat-uhls. I would've commissioned OOT or Linday to do the mane & tail, but that makes too much sense. The reindeer looks like it will have to be worth the $14.

Sadly the reindeer also has broken back feet (though the head is wonderful). Be sure to bury it in snow to hide them! 

• colongraphics colongraphics Posts: 78
    edited December 2022

Well, I got the bundle because 1) It was deeply discounted and 2) I was looking for a reindeer or caribou model for a specific project, and this more than fits the bill. But the horse itself...oof! Some of the renders look fine, but I'll be sticking with Mil Horse and Horse 2, thank you very much, at least for the time being.

Post edited by colongraphics on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

JOdel said:

I bought the bundle. My main incentive was the harness and reins. But the discount was indeed DEEP, so I am very happy about that.

What I am *hoping* is that the horse will also be able to use that tack. Not just the reindeer. That I will find out once I install it.

I will admit to be miffed that none of the items in the bundle have an individual product page that yu can go tho though.

Yea, I sort of took it to mean DAZ's XMas gift to us all.  I mean any deeper it would have been free!  LOL  

• Holy cannoli, how the heck did Daz Horse 3 pass QC?!?! 

Because that's... wow, that's pretty bad QC right there, all the way down. 

If I ever need a horse, I'm sticking with the Hivewire Horse.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

AllenArt said:

FWIW, I think the DH3 was worth the price for the reindeer and sleigh.

Fun fact: at Rendo sadrielxv offers a freebie sleigh which looks quite nice, too, just in case you need another one wink

• Gimme

And I will not care which one of the horse base models will end wearing it.

(probably it's going to be the Hivewire Horse anyway)

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,905

Panzer Emerald said:

Holy cannoli, how the heck did Daz Horse 3 pass QC?!?! 

Because that's... wow, that's pretty bad QC right there, all the way down. 

If I ever need a horse, I'm sticking with the Hivewire Horse.

Sadly, as was repeatedly pointed out in the responses this thread Vintage Projector DAZ QC's only job is to make sure that items load and runs properly, and has no responsibility for how an item looks or how similar it is to a real world item that it is supposed to represent.  Even so, the fact that two different ten year old figures, contemporaries of Genesis 2, both look better to people who actually know horses is pretty disappointing. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,864

Cybersox said:

Sadly, as was repeatedly pointed out in the responses this thread Vintage Projector DAZ QC's only job is to make sure that items load and runs properly, and has no responsibility for how an item looks or how similar it is to a real world item that it is supposed to represent.  Even so, the fact that two different ten year old figures, contemporaries of Genesis 2, both look better to people who actually know horses is pretty disappointing. 

That was their only job? Well, I've returned items that didn't even get job one. The older horses also look better to anyone who has ever seen a photo of a horse. (Snark was not meant for you Cybersox). 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,814
    edited December 2022

Tiffanie Gray - IDLM said:

Where do you turn in bugs? Like the Rampant pose will turn the horse from female back to male when applied. All the other horse poses are fine, insofar as that. (the lying down pose is horrid, sadly).

It's always a hazard to show off an "incomplete" item with rushed testing. But, at least they are trying.

Submit a bug report or request a refund here. Sign in with your Daz account to avoid the Captcha.

Edit: I didn't see them say it was incomplete. I think we made that assumption after seeing what it looked like. Those lips are bizarre. It is a good thing they sold the bundle cheap, or they would be buried in return requests, I think

So is this their first attempt to make an animal out of G9, or is it a completely different topology, and the "G9 can be anything" has yet to be attempted?

Post edited by barbult on
  • sidsid Posts: 432

I hope the Daz Horse 3 is very early production, and put out as a beta version because the reindeers needed to come out before Christmas.

It would seem unusual to go backward from Horse2. I did some test renders, but I don't even wanna post them, the sculpt, hair and textures (or lack of) do not hold-up to the previous generation. They feel low rez, realtime quality with minimal bump or normal work completed. The joints deform poorly even ween using the included poses.

The reindeer is a bit better, but the textures (for example on the antlers and inside ears) don't really seem to hold up to close up work. Like, you couldn't do a close up of Minevra and the Reindeer because the quality difference would be too stark. I'm not an expert at deforce, but even applying the stimulation setting pre-set that comes with this product, I can't get the hairs to deform around the leather work, they poke through, but maybe that is a defore limation? The joint deformation still seems a bit off to me, but also not an expert in reindeeers. The snow on the antlers seems to point in the wrong direction when applied.

Anyway, sorry to be a bummer, as I know a lot of work goes into these products. I'm still really excited about the idea of an awesome horsey, so fingers crossed the final product is awesome.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Thank you for putting them side by side- still on the fence about the horse (have a few already I like) but tempted by the other items in the bundle. Here are a few more horses- all in view subD 2/Render subd 3. In order picture left to picture right:

Clydesdale HD, Daz 2 Unicorn, Linday's Dark Horse, Hivewire Horse, Lorez 1, Lorez 2

Full size

Full Size 2

horse1.png
    3279 x 2500 - 5M
    horse2.png
    3279 x 2500 - 5M
  • I got the bundle but am probably going to request a refund as that is not a horse, it is something from the outer dark trying to pass itself off as one.

I am going to hold off until the last moment however before returning it in the hope that the full release will come before then and it will have something in there to redeem it, but to be honest I think it would need a complete resculpt of the mesh after going and spending at least a week with a real live horse to see what one looks like and how they really move.

Put side by side with the DH2 and the HWHorse it really fails big time, even the LorezHorse 2 is better. Personally, I will be sticking with the DH2.

P.S another long time horse owner/enthusiast here 

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

nonesuch00 said:

AllenArt said:

My ranking:

1) DAZ Horse 2

2) Hivewire Horse

3) Linday Morph

4) DAZ Horse 3

+1   That's exactly the way I see it too.  However glancing at the rest of the thread, seems the majority prefer the Hivewire Horse as #1.  That said, the Hivewire one looks pretty great to me too, I just like Horse2 better.

Horse3 ought to be down at number 49, if only there were more entries...  Green horses on mars would be freaked out if you showed them Horse3  :)   Even the horses that the Nazgul rode would say, "Damn what the hell is that ugly thing?!"  :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,032
    edited December 2022

Name : 
    Genesis9
    Label : 
    Genesis 9
    Class : 
    DzFigure
    Vertices : 
    25,182 / 25,182
    Quads : 
    25,156 / 25,156
    Total Faces : 
    25,156 / 25,156

Name : 
    DAZ_Horse3_26111
    Label : 
    DAZ_Horse3
    Class : 
    DzFigure
    Vertices : 
    26,111 / 26,111
    Quads : 
    25,592 / 25,592
    Total Faces : 
    25,592 / 25,592

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,814

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Name : 
    Genesis9
    Label : 
    Genesis 9
    Class : 
    DzFigure
    Vertices : 
    25,182 / 25,182
    Quads : 
    25,156 / 25,156
    Total Faces : 
    25,156 / 25,156

Name : 
    DAZ_Horse3_26111
    Label : 
    DAZ_Horse3
    Class : 
    DzFigure
    Vertices : 
    26,111 / 26,111
    Quads : 
    25,592 / 25,592
    Total Faces : 
    25,592 / 25,592

I infer that Daz Horse 3 was not made from G9 then.