DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?

Well, the few images that have been posted look nice, but given how much potential a horse has for modification, it's hard not to look back and see how little has been done with the DAZ Horse 2 in the 10+ years that it's been out.  So, will we actually see a lot of new qudrupedal charaters coming out when this is properly released?  Or will DH3 be, as I suspect, merely a set up for yet another set of Centaurs, this time for G9?  And, more importantly, will buyers of this advanced version end up getting hosed by only getting a base set of textures if DAZ pulls the same stunt they did on DH2 by having a multiple tiered price structure that requires buying yet another complete bundle in order to get all the morphs and textures?     

Comments

• Preach. Horse 2 was one of my first purchases, and I loved it so much until the second or third time I struggled with those reins. So much time for someone to love it enough, not a dang bit of thought went into those, so a whole genre of potential creativity went nowhere. You'd think with the Western bundles that came out since its release that the horse would have been at the center of it all.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited December 2022

Cybersox said:

Well, the few images that have been posted look nice, but given how much potential a horse has for modification, it's hard not to look back and see how little has been done with the DAZ Horse 2 in the 10+ years that it's been out.  So, will we actually see a lot of new qudrupedal charaters coming out when this is properly released?  Or will DH3 be, as I suspect, merely a set up for yet another set of Centaurs, this time for G9?  And, more importantly, will buyers of this advanced version end up getting hosed by only getting a base set of textures if DAZ pulls the same stunt they did on DH2 by having a multiple tiered price structure that requires buying yet another complete bundle in order to get all the morphs and textures?     

The bundle states that purchasers will get access to all content for DH3, which includes breed morphs...so hopefully that means everything. I did purchase, so we'll find out.

I hope the mane/tail is more than just the black dForce hair mane. Horse mane/tails have more nuance than just one flat color. A black mane typically has red highlights towards the ends...a grey can have a darkish grey mane with many variations and then blonde/white highlights...a paint-type horse can even have more than one color (meaning one color near the ears and another color at the bottom by the withers with every variation in between). I want to see those color variations...I don't want to see a single flat color. I'm also hoping we will see braided styles for mane/tail along and proper feather. I also really want to see more leather type horse armor over bucket-head type armor. Ya know...like something you'd have seen in The Lord of the Rings. That's what I want. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • MelissaGT said:

Cybersox said:

The bundle states that purchasers will get access to all content for DH3, which includes breed morphs...so hopefully that means everything. I did purchase, so we'll find out.

I hope the mane/tail is more than just the black dForce hair mane. Horse mane/tails have more nuance than just one flat color. A black mane typically has red highlights towards the ends...a dapple grey has a darkish grey mane with many variations and then blonde/white highlights...I want to see those color variations...I don't want to see a single flat color. I'm also hoping we will see braided styles for mane/tail along with proper feather.  

"Get access to" could just as easily be sales jargon for "meet the prerequisites to buy this other thing." If this is a sneak preview bundle, then there's going to be a Daz Horse 3 Pro Bundle around the corner that will make all the early adopters angry the same way it did with V9, I'd put money on it.

edited December 2022

marcus.ames said:

MelissaGT said:

Cybersox said:

I hope the mane/tail is more than just the black dForce hair mane. Horse mane/tails have more nuance than just one flat color. A black mane typically has red highlights towards the ends...a dapple grey has a darkish grey mane with many variations and then blonde/white highlights...I want to see those color variations...I don't want to see a single flat color. I'm also hoping we will see braided styles for mane/tail along with proper feather.  

"Get access to" could just as easily be sales jargon for "meet the prerequisites to buy this other thing." If this is a sneak preview bundle, then there's going to be a Daz Horse 3 Pro Bundle around the corner that will make all the early adopters angry the same way it did with V9, I'd put money on it.

Buyers of V9's early release bundle were upset because they were given a stripper outfit that wasn't even usable because of the modeling on it. I can understand their rage. They didn't lose out on any of V9's textures. Not to mention I don't think they're doing pro bundles of anything anymore. 

I also don't think buying the sleigh ride bundle means we're buying DH3. I think it means we're buying the sleigh and the reindeer morph of DH3...and that we'll be able to buy DH3 a few days early. But the details do say this, so I dunno - 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • I'm half tempted to buy the bundle, because I love rendering horses.  I hope Daz Horse 3 will have at least as many breeds as the Hivewire horse.  But my biggest concern is what kind of support there will be ongoing.  Will there be more than just a couple of initial saddles and tack?  Will there be fantasy barding fit for knights and warriors?  Because the Hivewire horse, to the best of my knowledge, never got a saddle that was usable in a fantasy-style render.

• Yeah, but then there was a larger V9 bundle later on, and if I remember right you got no discount for buying the pre-order bundle. As for the sleigh bundle, it comes with the horse now, not later. People have been messing with it all day.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 777
    edited December 2022

I bought the sleigh bundle and the horse is included. I checked in DIM and it's ready to download and install. I don't really need most of the other things, but with a couple of other things in my cart, it brought the price of the Sleigh bundle down to $11.47, so I figured that was a huge bargain.

Post edited by melanie on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,886

marcus.ames said:

And it doesn't say get access to, it says "You’ll also get upgraded access to all" and in DAZ speak "upgrade" almost certainly means that there will be at least some cost involved... As others have said, at least the bundle is cheap enough with other purchases to make it a minor throw in for those of use with full punch cards and a few other items to buy... well, assuming that you take into account that both this and the G9 Santa set should really have been released a few weeks ago so that people could actually use it for this Xmas, as I mailed out my cards weeks ago.     

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    I bought it because it's a good deal when you add the Reindeer, something I cam really use. But geez, why can't we push out seasonal products a month in advance. I might have paid $20 just for the Reindeer alone had it come out at Thanksgiving. I expect to be nickeled and dimed with the add-ons.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,027

MelissaGT said:

Cybersox said:

I hope the mane/tail is more than just the black dForce hair mane. Horse mane/tails have more nuance than just one flat color. A black mane typically has red highlights towards the ends...a grey can have a darkish grey mane with many variations and then blonde/white highlights...a paint-type horse can even have more than one color (meaning one color near the ears and another color at the bottom by the withers with every variation in between). I want to see those color variations...I don't want to see a single flat color. I'm also hoping we will see braided styles for mane/tail along and proper feather. I also really want to see more leather type horse armor over bucket-head type armor. Ya know...like something you'd have seen in The Lord of the Rings. That's what I want. 

I'd like to see that too. There is an theme park run (owned?) by the state I live in that is a horse park and they have all sorts of horse breeds. The grounds also hosts various dressage and other horse shows from time to time. 

• I can't speak for Daz, and probably won't be able to get official word on a Saturday that is Christmas Eve but I certainly read the blurb as meaning we would get the full versions of the included products (assuming theya re erstricted right now). I would also more-or-less expect we would get a discount if relevant (and yes, I'm pretty sure there was a discount on the big Victoria 9 bundle for those who purchased the Intro Bundle - though it wasn't time limited to those who purchased early, as I recall).

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,664

I've bought the bundle and played with everything a bit. The horse seems the real deal to me and renders really nicely. It just comes with only one set of textures (each for male and female) and one breed (again, for F and M), so I guess in these areas, there will be more upcoming that one will have to pay for. Seems quite alright to me though, because it was a very cheap deal with the sleigh bundle. I guess we'll be getting discounts on the upcoming texture and morph sets later on.

Also maybe FYI, it seems that the Santa's gifts bundle is included with the sleigh, I found it in the props by coincidence. So there's probably no need to buy that extra if you own the sleigh.

• tsroemi said:

I've bought the bundle and played with everything a bit. The horse seems the real deal to me and renders really nicely. It just comes with only one set of textures (each for male and female) and one breed (again, for F and M), so I guess in these areas, there will be more upcoming that one will have to pay for. Seems quite alright to me though, because it was a very cheap deal with the sleigh bundle. I guess we'll be getting discounts on the upcoming texture and morph sets later on.

Also maybe FYI, it seems that the Santa's gifts bundle is included with the sleigh, I found it in the props by coincidence. So there's probably no need to buy that extra if you own the sleigh.

The horse is nice. I don't like the Moe cut for the forelocks.  

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,664

AgitatedRiot said:

tsroemi said:

The horse is nice. I don't like the Moe cut for the forelocks.  

True, it's' not a very becoming cut for such a nice horsie. The mane also takes aaaages to settle when simulating. But maybe I'm doing something wrong there, might very well be. It sure is fun to play with, that set!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,792

I have a psychic feeling PAs like Oso are working on morphs right now. (I have no inside info, just guessing.) This is what I've been waiting for, for G9. They promised us animals that could turn into anything. What I'd really like to see is something like 200 morphs for DAZ Horse 3 where we can create any kind of 4 legged creature ourselves without having to rely on PAs and use PA morphs as adding to the horse gene pool. If G8F can be made into a hedgehog, I'm hoping the horse could be made into a lion, rabbit or bizarre sci-fi creature.

• Richard Haseltine said:

I can't speak for Daz, and probably won't be able to get official word on a Saturday that is Christmas Eve but I certainly read the blurb as meaning we would get the full versions of the included products (assuming theya re erstricted right now). I would also more-or-less expect we would get a discount if relevant (and yes, I'm pretty sure there was a discount on the big Victoria 9 bundle for those who purchased the Intro Bundle - though it wasn't time limited to those who purchased early, as I recall).

Seems the same way to me, the current horse is probably an incomplete item released for testing and to give you the necesary files for the reindeer to work

melanie said:

I bought the sleigh bundle and the horse is included. I checked in DIM and it's ready to download and install. I don't really need most of the other things, but with a couple of other things in my cart, it brought the price of the Sleigh bundle down to $11.47, so I figured that was a huge bargain.

Oh neat - I didn't realize the horse is available now. I've been busy wrapping gifts all day...probably won't have time to look at it til tomorrow.  

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Cybersox said: 

So, will we actually see a lot of new qudrupedal charaters coming out when this is properly released?

Hey, don't get greedy... you get an reindeer immediately... just remember how long it for some alternate shapes for Horse 2 to turn up... 

With the Low Poly Horse this means we got now a choice from three horsey friends... easy to go without Horse 3 than for a start devil

tsroemi said:

I wouldn't mind having to pay a bit more for other breeds textures. The HiveWire Horse was just a base as well and EVERYTHING was sold separately...that sucker was expensive af once you bought everything.  

• Hopefully Design Anvil has been tapped for DH3 content in recognition of their work keeping DH2 alive these past few years. There have been other artists producing great DH2 stuff, of course - Linday with Dark Knight Horse Bundle for example - but none that I associate more closely with Daz Horse.

maikdecker said:

Cybersox said: 

So, will we actually see a lot of new qudrupedal charaters coming out when this is properly released?

Hey, don't get greedy... you get an reindeer immediately... just remember how long it for some alternate shapes for Horse 2 to turn up... 

With the Low Poly Horse this means we got now a choice from three horsey friends... easy to go without Horse 3 than for a start devil

There are far more than three horses available right now, not the least of which is the generally better supported Hivewire Horse.  As for the reindeer... I already have reindeer/carribou sets for both DHorse2 and the Hivewire Horse, as well as AM's standalone version and several older figures, so reindeer are really the least needed addition to the general DNA.  At least DAZ finally has a decent stand-alone camel, but the 3DL Loveable Llamas are in desperate need of an upgrade and will we wait in vain once again for the Giraffes, Hippos, Rhinoceri, and other ungulates, not to mention similarly boned fantasy creatures that were all dangled as possibilities back at the introduction of DH2?  Looking at the general lack of imagination that's come out of DAZ corporate for the last six years, I'm not having much hope unless a lot of new PA's pick it up... especially given that we're still stuck with the ancient Mil cat with a spit-polish instead of that long needed new base figure.        

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,003
    edited December 2022

well the way they are promoting it I am in no danger of buying it devil

I cannot even see renders by those who have as hidden in DAZ+ forum

I generally buy a single item from bundles if I want it (might have bought the sleigh) but they even stopped that 

no incentive at all maybe can grab it cheap in 6 months time

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

What do you mean? There's nothing hidden in the DAZ+ forum that I can see. Unless I'm blind. 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

I bought it.  Added the bundle to my cart and well... it was so deeply discounted that I couldn't say no.  I mean DEEPLY discounted.  surprise

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 2022

This might sound like a dumb question, but I don't see anywhere in the promo where it tells us what the Daz Horse 3 does that's superior to Daz Horse 2.  Are there some features/benefits in the offing other than "it's newer"?

Well I guess there's a slight mention of 'improved mane and tail' but it's nebulous whether that refers to being improved from Horse 2, or improved from the Default Horse 3 that we'd be getting prior to the 'real' release.

I realize probably no one knows yet, but maybe some beta testers might wander by the illuminate what's so appealing about Horse 3 that would make me throw out Horse 2.  Anyone got any ideas?

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • I would happily stick with DAZ Horse 2 and all its morph/texture add-ons for the rest of my life if only someone would release a versatile reins set that is simple to equip and pose.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,753

butterflyfish said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

What do you mean? There's nothing hidden in the DAZ+ forum that I can see. Unless I'm blind. 

Right now nobody can upload images to the forum, because it is broken. So nobody can post their renders here..

zombiewhacker said:

I would happily stick with DAZ Horse 2 and all its morph/texture add-ons for the rest of my life if only someone would release a versatile reins set that is simple to equip and pose.

Well, there are a few at Renderotica, but you probably meant reins for horses, so, yeah, that would be nice.  devil 

Jonstark said:

This might sound like a dumb question, but I don't see anywhere in the promo where it tells us what the Daz Horse 3 does that's superior to Daz Horse 2.  Are there some features/benefits in the offing other than "it's newer"?

Well I guess there's a slight mention of 'improved mane and tail' but it's nebulous whether that refers to being improved from Horse 2, or improved from the Default Horse 3 that we'd be getting prior to the 'real' release.

I realize probably no one knows yet, but maybe some beta testers might wander by the illuminate what's so appealing about Horse 3 that would make me throw out Horse 2.  Anyone got any ideas?

Well, DH2 was released pre-iray, so at the very least DH3 should come with those textures as basic rather than having to convert or buy add-on sets.

• barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Right now nobody can upload images to the forum, because it is broken. So nobody can post their renders here..

Pretty sure this is continuing on from another comment, it's a complaint that there may be a thread in the DAZ+ forums with a lot of people showing renders of the horse that aren't also posting them here. Whether this other thread exists or not I don't know.