DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?

15678911»

Comments

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,864
    edited July 2023

Deepsea's horse fix may have saved DH3 for me. Hopefully, he'll continue. I wish @Linday would make a luxuriant mane/tail/fetlock that rivals CWRW's brushes.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 836
    DS's horse is still in my cart at the moment, but I wanted to say I really like the texture/color and overall look of the horse. Those colors are beautiful
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited July 2023

tsroemi said:

JOdel said:

Looks like Deepsea has waded into the pool now. He's done some very nice animal models in the past. I'm not quite sold on his horse yet. 

It does have a strand-based mane and tail. Don't know whether that will behave better than the one that comes with the base.

The Deepsea horse looks lovely to me, but what is the horse pros' take on him?  

Ok...so...here we go. 

• It's a head morph only. The issue with this is that you can't dial in any of the DH3 full-body shapes...because the head is not separated. So if you want to use the Deepsea head shape, you're stuck with the base DH3 body. It is a good head morph though. 
    • Only one coat color. There are a couple variations, but same color. 
    • Only one mane/tail color. There are a couple shade variations, but same color. Also, no multi-color variations...so like no highlights and/or lowlights...no nuanced color. So like all one color, which is still my main issue with the default DH3 mane/tail. 

I will work on getting a comparison put together. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,673
    edited July 2023

MelissaGT said:

tsroemi said:

JOdel said:

Looks like Deepsea has waded into the pool now. He's done some very nice animal models in the past. I'm not quite sold on his horse yet. 

It does have a strand-based mane and tail. Don't know whether that will behave better than the one that comes with the base.

Ok...so...here we go. 

• It's a head morph only. The issue with this is that you can't dial in any of the DH3 full-body shapes...because the head is not separated. So if you want to use the Deepsea head shape, you're stuck with the base DH3 body. It is a good head morph though. 
    • Only one mane/tail color. There are a couple shade variations, but same color. Also, no multi-color variations...so like no highlights and/or lowlights...no nuanced color. So like all one color, which is still my main issue with the default DH3 mane/tail. 

Thanks, that's really helpful! Doesn't sound too good though, unfortunately. Why would I want what is basically just a morph (with some very limited textures) which prevents me from doing any further morphing? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Huh, would it maybe be possible to split the head morph off with something like Pose Splitter and insert it into Horse 3 proper? I'm not very clever with operations like that myself, but maybe somebody else here knows? Otherwise, it rather sounds like a pass to me, sadly. The head is really very pretty, but ...

Edit: I'm seeing in the file list that the Deepsea morphs are in Horse 3's normal morph folders in data, so - am I misunderstanding something here? It looks to me like I could just dial in the Deepsea horse's head morphs and then add whatever variations I want from my other Horse 3 morphs, from DA's package for example. Melissa, did you maybe mean that the Deepsea horse itself just doesn't come with an additional body morph? That would make sense to me, and I wouldn't really mind that much, since I could use the other morphs for that. Am I getting it right this time? Sorry for being a bit daft today blush

Post edited by tsroemi on
    edited July 2023

tsroemi said:

MelissaGT said:

tsroemi said:

JOdel said:

Ok...so...here we go. 

Thanks, that's really helpful! Doesn't sound too good though, unfortunately. Why would I want what is basically just a morph (with some very limited textures) which prevents me from doing any further morphing? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Huh, would it maybe be possible to split the head morph off with something like Pose Splitter and insert it into Horse 3 proper? I'm not very clever with operations like that myself, but maybe somebody else here knows? Otherwise, it rather sounds like a pass to me, sadly. The head is really very pretty, but ...

Edit: I'm seeing in the file list that the Deepsea morphs are in Horse 3's normal morph folders in data, so - am I misunderstanding something here? It looks to me like I could just dial in the Deepsea horse's head morphs and then add whatever variations I want from my other Horse 3 morphs, from DA's package for example. Melissa, did you maybe mean that the Deepsea horse itself just doesn't come with an additional body morph? That would make sense to me, and I wouldn't really mind that much, since I could use the other morphs for that. Am I getting it right this time? Sorry for being a bit daft today blush

It doesn't come with a body morph. When you dial in the shape, it's the head only. However...all of my DH3 body morphs include the head as well...so they will not work with DeepSea's head morph unless you like the look of both of them together (you won't). I'm not sure if the newly released DH3 shapes separate head from body. I only have the thoroughbred and standardbred. I'm not spending any more money on DH3 to find out because everything about this model just keeps disappointing me. Having enough shapes is only part of the equation. You need the skin and hair variety to go with it. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,278

I'd expect that the strand-based hair would take shaders, like Colorworks or whatever. 

@MelissaGT, I see now what you mean, one cannot combine it with any of the other pre-made shapes. Since I've only bought the DA Morph pack, not the shapes (https://www.daz3d.com/da-ultimate-morph-pack-for-daz-horse-3), and I don't like the Thoroughbred that much, I guess I'd be okay with that. I've checked the DA morphs in the file list, and these really do only include morphs for single body or head areas, so they should be useable along with the Deepsea morph.

I understand your general disappointment, though. I was expecting something much more - I dunno, advanced maybe as well. Which, clearly, Horse 3 isn't, from all I've read here. Still, I do like the extra figures one can make with Horse 3, like the reindeer and Sleipnir, and Pegasus, and now this pretty lil one.

edited July 2023

Here is a quick comparison of the new head moprh and color next to Harry. I tried to find the closest approximation of coat color for Harry. This is the Grulla Dun coat along with the Fresian morph (click for bigger size) - 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

MelissaGT said:

Here is a quick comparison of the new head moprh and color next to Harry. I tried to find the closest approximation of coat color for Harry. This is the Grulla Dun coat along with the Fresian morph (click for bigger size) - 

Thanks, very nice renders also! Okay, the Hivewire horse is still in a league of its own, absolutely.  

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,864
    edited July 2023

MelissaGT said:

Oof! Thanks for saving me money. Is it a camel, giraffe, or mule? What's up with his tongue?

Post edited by xyer0 on

xyer0 said:

MelissaGT said:

Oof! Thanks for saving me money. Is it a camel, giraffe, or mule? What's up with his tongue?

That's not his tongue...it's a coloration on the lip texture. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited July 2023

I have decided that all-in-all, the Daz Horse 3 looks more like an army mule than anything ;) And those hooves? Wow, just ALL KINDS OF WRONG.

It has potential, but it needs work.

Daz Horse 3 Deepsea Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    edited July 2023

An update for DA Wild Style in DIM today (well, yesterday really, but I didn't launch DIM yesterday. Readme says):

2023-07-19 Updated to reflect the changes in Daz Horse 3

That's about the file name changes in Horse 3 itself that made Wild Style throw off errors and not be able to find required items, I think.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • movidamovida Posts: 54

AllenArt said:

I have decided that all-in-all, the Daz Horse 3 looks more like an army mule than anything ;) And those hooves? Wow, just ALL KINDS OF WRONG.

What specifically is wrong with his front hooves/pasterns?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited July 2023

movida said:

AllenArt said:

The front hooves aren't too bad, but the back hooves just look wrong to me. Like they're cut off half way down the hoof or something. Plus, I think both sets of hooves need to be longer on the fronts with a shallower angle. Just my two cents ;). And maybe it's just me, but neither set of hooves looks quite large enough for the size of the horse.

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited July 2023

AllenArt said:

movida said:

AllenArt said:

The front hooves aren't too bad, but the back hooves just look wrong to me. Like they're cut off half way down the hoof or something. Plus, I think both sets of hooves need to be longer on the fronts with a shallower angle. Just my two cents ;). And maybe it's just me, but neither set of hooves looks quite large enough for the size of the horse.

Here this book is around 300 pages and should help. 

You suggest that the conformation of the horse "Plus, I think both sets of hooves need to be longer blah blah blah" should be altered in accordance with what you perceive as correct or incorrect or how it looks to you? The back hooves need work the front hooves/pasterns are fine as is. The length of a horses toe/foot is variable with some choices being better than others for the animal (i.e., long toes on some show horses vs short feet on race horses...long toes/feet lose and are usually detrimental to the animal as in Saddlebreds/Tennessee Walkers because along with the longer toes/feet go a change in the angle of that hoof to his pastern and affect the breaking over of his pastern when he moves and also forces the weight bearing to the outer walls of the hoof) Humans like them because the poor horse picks his feet up really really high and looks flashy - well yeah you just threw his legs off balance.

Bigger feet are better when proportional to the animal, his are fine, shorter toes/feet are usually better. The entire weight of his body is supported on those 4 hooves. This model does have some leg problems but they're not his hooves (front ones at least).

The "horse" problem in 3d is that modellers don't know what constitutes good conformation or a good horse overall. They grab a picture and model to it not even knowing if they're modelling a good or not so good horse. Many many show horse champions are not good horses.

But you're absolutely correct in being concerned with his hoofs. No hoof, no horse.

Hoof size (bigger, smaller) is the diameter of the hoof. Toe/foot length (short, long) is what it says, how long (top to bottom) it is.

I'm working on him

Post edited by movida on

And again file upload does not work :(   Anyway the book is Principles of Conformation Analysis by Deb Bennett or another is The Horse Structure and Movement by R.H. Smythe

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

Design Anvil - Razor42 said:

At the moment I am working on a set of Horse 2 UVs for Horse 3 which will allow the use of all existing Horse 2 materials on Horse 3 to expand capability. Please let me know if you have anything you would really like to see and I can add it to my worklist. (Yes, mane, tail and feathering are on the list ;))

Thanks all.

I'd humbly request chestnut, the color. I've adapted a texture sourced elsewhere and created one, hodge-podgily, from Daz Horse 2 textures, but would really like a nice clean chestnut. This example is from the off-the-track thoroughbred that I had many moons ago.

Necro'ing this thread to inquire hopefully if there have been any developments on the project to convert existing Daz Horse 2 materials. 

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited June 12

Hi paulawp (marahzen), yes they are still on my project list. But unfortunately have been dropping down in priority for a while now.

Tbh there are no plans to resume work on the project at the moment, though I will take note of your request and move them further up my priority list again.

I was in the finishing stage of converting the UV from Horse 2 to 3 when I lost motivation for the project. 

My apologies that this one didn't move through to completion as planned.

PreviewUVSWAP1.jpg
    900 x 567 - 26K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • Design Anvil - Razor42 said:

Hi paulawp (marahzen), yes they are still on my project list. But unfortunately have been dropping down in priority for a while now.

Tbh there are no plans to resume work on the project at the moment, though I will take note of your request and move them further up my priority list again.

I was in the finishing stage of converting the UV from Horse 2 to 3 when I lost motivation for the project. 

No problem! We product users are grateful for cool products to buy (at least I am), and I know there must be all kinds of things that are a factor when it comes to what gets made and when. It would just be great to have all of those already-existing textures available to use in addition to the  new ones that were made for DH3.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Design Anvil - Razor42 said:

No problem! We product users are grateful for cool products to buy (at least I am), and I know there must be all kinds of things that are a factor when it comes to what gets made and when. It would just be great to have all of those already-existing textures available to use in addition to the  new ones that were made for DH3.

I'm interested too! I'm always so happy when I can keep on using good stuff that I already own. Sooo maybe notch the project a tiny little bit more back up in priority? I'm sure there must be more interested! 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,021

Yep, I own a lot of DAZ Horse 2 also. I will be there to buy it when you are ready to sell.

• DreamWeeverDreamWeever Posts: 175

Hey so I just decided to bite the bullet and pick up the new horse to see if it really was as bad as my first impression. 

What has brought me here right now though is a problem I have spotted with the includes poses and I was wondering if anyone else has had this or if its just me.

I am getting odd and bad distortions on te joints when bent, I have just used the laying down pose here to show you but it was happening on most of the included poses. 

However the poses from the Free Spirit pack seem to be fine 

OddJoints.jpg
    1941 x 1382 - 1M
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,486

It almost looks as if corrective morphs are being over applied. Possibly a base set and a 'character' morph corrective at the same time. I'm sorry, I don't have Horse3 so can't check for myself.

Regards,

Richard 

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 836

Loading base Horse 3 and applying a variety of similar poses, I get no distortion. But if I apply the pose you used above from the Thoroughbred Poses folder, I get a similar situation although still not as horrible as what you are seeing. Dialing in the Thoroughbred corrected the bad bends for me. I have quite a few pose packs for the Horse and I do not get any issues at all.

ZippyGuitar said:

Loading base Horse 3 and applying a variety of similar poses, I get no distortion. But if I apply the pose you used above from the Thoroughbred Poses folder, I get a similar situation although still not as horrible as what you are seeing. Dialing in the Thoroughbred corrected the bad bends for me. I have quite a few pose packs for the Horse and I do not get any issues at all.

I was using the Thouhabread, but I was getting this with both the horse poses and the thoroughbred ones as well as if I just manually posed the legs  

richardandtracy said:

It almost looks as if corrective morphs are being over applied. Possibly a base set and a 'character' morph corrective at the same time. I'm sorry, I don't have Horse3 so can't check for myself.

Regards,

Richard 

I will investigate this thanks for the idea