BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE - Theme is ##"My Kingdom"##

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited August 2015

@mermaid010: Very nice work. Like the sky a lot. But, somehow, I think the gazebo is not in focus. Maybe because of the texture on the roof, which looks like not very sharply focused wallpaper. Maybe you could try another texture? Or change the roof for a one made of wooden beams?

@Horo: Thanks. Yes, this dino is not a pet! It is actually his (her?) kingdom, I think.

@Fencepost52: I like YorSiFiKi. Is that a pod from 'back to the future' that crashed in the foreground?

I made a third entry too. Maybe I will replace the dino one later on (if I get more inspiration). 

My third entry is made from Metaballs, three trees (Red Oak, autumn, Snow Fir, Sequoia) as well as a bush, all instanced many times. Furthermore a flying boat (Phillip Drawbridge), the main building from Grobburg, the Lighthouse from Alfons Blom. A fully reflective and fully transparent sphere, with a colour changed cloud texture surrounds the whole scene. Light via an abstract IBL and a Dome fill light, a spotlight on the castle and a total of 20 radial lights, most of which came with the flying boat. Render time (Super AA) was not too bad with around 13 hours.

Title: My Kingdom Far Far Away

kingdom of far far away.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 436K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Very surreal, Hansmar...but it works...looks like anything could happen in this kingdom. Ah yes, metaballs...they can be so cute laugh

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,395

Art- really cool scific render.

Hansmar - Wow awesome render. Love it. You mentioned render time is 13hours, curious to know how long it took you to set it up. Thanks for your comment on my entry. I will see if I can improve the roof, it's a bit difficult when one works with freebies and I was lucky to get this one which was already textured.

• Thanks all for the comments!

@TimBateman: Nice Gateway to the Kingdom of the Gods render.

@Mermaid: Neat entries.  I really like the Solitude one. :)

@Vivien:  Absolutely!  Stop by for a visit! *Whispers* Excellent fairie scene.  

@Hansmar: Your scenes are great.  As with mermaid, I'm interested in how long it took to set up your most recent entry.  

What a great quiet field. But you will have to plough it, or not? Not for your retirement then? Oh, in retirement I'll be doing something, even if it is plowing fields. :)

I like YorSiFiKi. Is that a pod from 'back to the future' that crashed in the foreground? Thanks.  Yeah, that's one of those pods.  I had just received my "pod learner's permit" and my attempts to successfully land it was....well.....unsuccessful. :)

Thanks Art

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

Entry #3 Coastle Kingdom

smiley

Coastle_Kingdom.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 386K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105

Tim

Nice, I like that yes

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

@ Fishtales, thank's smiley

Tim - Wow, beautiful entry love it

@Jamahoney: Thanks. Yes, metaballs have all kinds of surprising possibilities. I like the fact that combining them has some level of surprise in the effect (you can predict it, but have to play to see when they touch and how much, etc.)

@mermaid010 and Fencepost52: Thanks, the render time must be caused by a combination of reflections (on the spheres and metaballs), the many tree and bush instances and, of course, the more than 20 lights. Set-up took a couple of evenings. Making the 'lands' was rather quick, just like placing the buildings. Instancing the trees and bush took some time before I was happy. But I think that most time (hours) was used for chosing, changing, modifying and remodifying the texture on the outer sphere, including the reflection and transparency level. And the placement and settings of the lights (except those on the flying boat) took quite some time too. After the render was finished, I realised that I did not use soft shadows. But I decided that is not really necessary. Estimate of total time for creating this, uh....... maybe 8 hours?

@mermaid010: Of course, modifying a freebie is not easy. However, you could perhaps add some 'shingles' or beams, just to break up the very smooth (unrealistic) texture? Of replace it by a better procedural Bryce texture?

@Tim Bateman: Wow, how is that for a holiday photo! Walt Disney will want to use this scene for a new movie!

What a great quiet field. But you will have to plough it, or not? Not for your retirement then? Oh, in retirement I'll be doing something, even if it is plowing fields. :)

I guess you will rather visit your grown-up daugher instead of plow fields when you are retired! Looks like the two of you have good fun!

@Jamahoney: Thanks. Yes, metaballs have all kinds of surprising possibilities. I like the fact that combining them has some level of surprise in the effect (you can predict it, but have to play to see when they touch and how much, etc.)

Did some works (YouTube link) awhile back in this area...metaballs can, in effect, create separate metaballs, too (seen in the vid).

Jay

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited August 2015

Elephant's Kingdom

The Kingdom of this lucky Elephant is Water....

Elephant's Kingdom.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 921K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2015
    Hansmar said:

@mermaid010 and Fencepost52: Thanks, the render time must be caused by a combination of reflections (on the spheres and metaballs), the many tree and bush instances and, of course, the more than 20 lights. Set-up took a couple of evenings. Making the 'lands' was rather quick, just like placing the buildings. Instancing the trees and bush took some time before I was happy. But I think that most time (hours) was used for chosing, changing, modifying and remodifying the texture on the outer sphere, including the reflection and transparency level. And the placement and settings of the lights (except those on the flying boat) took quite some time too. After the render was finished, I realised that I did not use soft shadows. But I decided that is not really necessary. Estimate of total time for creating this, uh....... maybe 8 hours?

@mermaid010: Of course, modifying a freebie is not easy. However, you could perhaps add some 'shingles' or beams, just to break up the very smooth (unrealistic) texture? Of replace it by a better procedural Bryce texture?

@Tim Bateman: Wow, how is that for a holiday photo! Walt Disney will want to use this scene for a new movie!

Hansmar - 8 hours to setup your scene is awesome considering the time I spend setting up my simple scenes.  I started re-working on my entry but so far no luck.  I love the sky and lighting so I need to find something that works with it. Alternatively I will try and find another gazebo model. In the meantime that will be my entry. Thanks once again for the suggestions.

@Yellow Pen - lovely kingdom, I especially like the waterfalls

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Hansmar said:

I guess you will rather visit your grown-up daugher instead of plow fields when you are retired! Looks like the two of you have good fun!

That's actually one of my granddaughters and she, her sister, and I love to go eat ice cream.  That's what we're doing in the picture and, yes, we have lots of fun. Just got back from eating ice cream as a matter of fact! LOL  That's quite a setup with the metaballs. Lots of effort and, I would imagine, patience, which I don't have much of. HAHAHA

Awesome scene, Yellow Pen!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,545
    edited August 2015

Art - great sci-fi kingdom of yours.

Hansmar - that's a very special render, very creative.

Tim - awesome scene, great POV.

Yellow Pen - that's a great idea. Very well done, water especially.

Third entry: Twin Kingdom
    So here is my last entry, using Alan Armstrong's Valachia Castle twice, a Michael 3 from DAZ 3D, two terrains from the High Resolution Terrains Set 2 and an HDRI from the Sunless HDRI Skies, and a few trees.

TwinKingdom.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 198K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited August 2015

@mermaid010: Part of the time I take is to come to ideas how I want things. At the beginning, the texture on the sphere surrounding the scene was very, very different. I liked it, until I noticed some things in the first try of a render. So I had to start anew. That is how I spend quite some time. Suppose I knew what I wanted in the beginning, wouldn't that save me a lot of time! But the trial and error process is something that I like, so I will keep doing that!

@Fencepost52: Thank you. You look much to young to have such a granddaughter already! You must have started early with children, or nature has treated you very kindly! The patience for my scene was not so much needed for the metaballs, but for all of the rest. And, as I explained above, I like the trial and error process.

@Horo: Thanks. Very nice render. I like the way the light plays between the two castles. Strange, that most of us (me included) think of  'castle' as soon as we have to do 'kingdom'!

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920

thanks Mermaid and Horo, for your nice comments :-)

horo.... I love the light and the sky in your Pic, it's very beautiful.

There are so many beautiful Pics here... and I'm glad that I'm not in the Jury.

But, there's one that impressed me most. This one is the "Gateway to the Kingdom of Gods", from Tim Bateman. I love it  a little bit more than all the other amazing Pics here....

• Beautiful render, Horo!

Okay, final entry...oh, and as the judges have been confusing me for ages, I think it's 'kick-back' time...heh he cheeky Of course, all you Brycers will get it immediately...right?

Horse model by someone called David Ross, and a fabulous bus by someone called Samvel - both available for free at Archive 3D.

Jay

MyKingdom.jpg
    1000 x 537 - 325K

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Of course, all you Brycers will get it immediately...right?

Of course king Richard.

Ya don't see a horse for ages, then 2 arrive together.
    smiley

• vivienvivien Posts: 184

mermaid - The gazebo looks like a nice place to relax. and keep away from what looks like a menacing storm .Love the sky

Art - Very nice Sci-Fi render. Did you model all the high rise buildings

Hansmar - Surreal work. Interesting use of metaballs

Tim - Really like your Coastle Kingdom. Although I would hate to have to find a corner shop to get some bread.

Yellow Pen - Lovely scene. The waterfall looks really good.

Horo - Beautiful render. The lighting is makes it very dramatic.

Jay - Very clever.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,545

Hansmar - thank you. You're right, speaking kingdom, a castle is the first that comes to mind.

Yellow Pen - thank you.

Art - thank you.

Jay - another welcome non-castle kingdom. In our local language, a horse is a Ross. laugh

vivien1 - thank you.

StuartB said:

Ya don't see a horse for ages, then 2 arrive together.
    smiley

Stuart...you have me splitting my sides...starting the day off with a laugh...heh he. I bet the bus will throw the judges judgement ->>Judge thinking to him/herself: "Okay, so, he has two horses and a bus...wtf?"

Cheers, Vivien...it isn't very often that the word 'clever' applies to me blush

Horo - wow awesome render

Jay - another cool entry, did you texture the models, surprise normally one does not get such nicely textured models from Archive 3D

Vivien - thanks

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

No time to comment everyone's work but all entries are really well done.

This is my second image, not really my own kingdom (I wish) but a "modern house" modeled in wings, the car is from the net all the rest is Bryce.

Modern house9.jpg
    800 x 479 - 126K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited August 2015

Post edited by adbc on
    edited August 2015

Cheers, again, Horo. I heard a guy in the bank a couple of weeks back say to the teller "I'd like to get a Gregory"...Huh? He explained (to the teller, and us all standing in the que):Gregory Peck ryhmes with check, so Cheque...heh he.

Thanks, Mermaid...and yeah, the textures came with the Ross (horse), and the bus, too - though the wheels were slightly offset, which was easliy corrected.

Nice one, Adbc...I could do with a few weeks in that villa...hope it has a pool somewhere around back. I'll bring the beer, if you bring the burgers.wink

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on

@Jamahoney: Ha, very nice. Wonderful to do something like this! You could have used 2 horses to the left, a bus going to 'My kingdom' and then one horse to the right two. 

@adbc: Wow, that's a modern castle in a very green environment. Who would not want to live there?