Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited June 2015

@chohole: Thanks for the information. That would be a reason for an upgrade to 4.8, I guess

@Horo: Thank you for your kind estimation of my hexagon skills. Actually I am not that clever, I am just a good video viewer, because I have bought Fugazi's video tutorial, which shows beginners how to create a bikini. Without it I never had the chance to find out, how to make a garement.

@David Brinnen: Thank you very much for your volumetric cloud tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=900iMZk57AM&feature=youtu.be The results are amazing.

@dan whiteside: Wonderful scene. Everything is well done. Nice poses.

@mermaid010: Lovely sea view. I am afraid, but for me the foam is not that convincing. To be honest, first I thought what a nice beach mermaid010 has made. :-)

onecompcld.jpg
    1000 x 643 - 64K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen: Thank you very much for your volumetric cloud tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=900iMZk57AM&feature=youtu.be The results are amazing.

Results look good to me! I'm back at the laboring again for a couple more weeks then hopefully I will have the time and energy to press on with some more artworking. It might be worth revisiting a few such topics to apply what I've learned in the mean time. When I first made the clouds I thought I knew what I was doing, since then I've learned a few more tricks. I trust you also found an improvement in render performance in comparison to previous volume clouds?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,527
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice renders. I think the ship is a bit on the large side, compared with the mountains.

@Dan - great poses of the models. Very nice scene and great render.

@Pam - which is the latest update? I seem to install Studio incessantly.

@electro-elvis - clouds look great. I wasn't having such success, all have flat bottoms. I've got to experiment more.

Meanwhile, I've been experimenting a bit with Hyper Texture Driven Gel Light.

RingedObj.jpg
    900 x 900 - 82K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

I trust you also found an improvement in render performance in comparison to previous volume clouds?

Of course. You found a neat possibility to reduce it quite dramatically. But I spoilt it a bit because I increased the height of my cloud slab ;-)
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited December 1969

I can confirm that sending from DS 4,8 to Bryce does work now :-)

Although having two instances of DS 4.8 open and one 5 hours into a large render; Bryce open; on here and doing a check on a faulty external hard drive all at the same time didn't make it easy. Oh and I did a quick render in Bryce too just to make sure everything was sent across :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2015

Horo said:

@Pam - which is the latest update? I seem to install Studio incessantly.

Dunno, it has 4.8 and some more numbers

ok found out what the other numbers are, I am told it is 4.8.0.59 the HOTFIX one

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

He he :lol: at the moment, I've 4.8.0.55 Pro 64-bit installed.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    chohole said:

He he :lol: at the moment, I've 4.8.0.55 Pro 64-bit installed.

OK its 59 on the end now. I have to go and ask, cos I use Poser not DS. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Thank you for verifying, Pam. So my version from 3 weeks ago is already 4 version old. My feeling installing DS incessantly reflects probably the reality, though I'm still skipping many as it appears. Bryce is much more stable, no bug fixes for 3 years.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Nice new cloud method David.

Though I could not get rid of the banding no matter how compressed I made the slab so ended up increasing the quality in the TE to 20.
    This still rendered in less than 30 minutes and the level of detail the clouds generated is great.

NewClouds.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 455K
    edited December 1969

Nice new cloud method David.

Though I could not get rid of the banding no matter how compressed I made the slab so ended up increasing the quality in the TE to 20.
    This still rendered in less than 30 minutes and the level of detail the clouds generated is great.

Looks good. If you can't get rid of the banding compressing the slab in the z direction (when camera is facing z) then try compressing in x. But try to keep the width x > than z.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get back on to it.
    At the moment I'm stuck doing a load of modelling and rendering of some packaging for a new client.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Dan - beautiful scene and render.

Electro-Elvis – Thanks, I’m also not convinced with the foam, I will need to revisit the tutorial at a later date. The clouds look great.

Horo- Thanks , lovely still render

Dave –lovely render the clouds look great.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

im seeing all of these awesome cloud scenes....so i thought i would share one also :)

cloud_mountains.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 287K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited June 2015

Nice cloud experiments, all. I've got one "cooking" right now, but I'm not sure what I think about it. It's not the method or the teacher, but the operator (me) seems to have trouble implementing the techniques.

@timbateman: Nice scene. If you don't mind me asking, what haze settings do you use?

@electro-elvis: Good work on the clothing. I'm guessing those are "stretchy" denim jeans because that dude looks like his kicking skills aren't compromised at all! LOL

@dan: Very nice scene. I like the pose you did with the lady.

@horo: Nice still life experiment.

@mermaid: I don't see foam experiments, those are sandy shorelines! ;-) Yes, I know what you mean. That technique is a tough one to get a handle on. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but the little I have, I see how easy it is to get stuck. Keep at it.

Another one of the dock and mountains, but from a different vantage point. Looks like I've got a fish on the line. Better quit typing and go catch it. :)

ETA: Could Experiment. Disregard (if you can) the cheesy looking trees in the foreground.

CloudExperiment.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 678K
    AnisotrophicWater4.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

Tim: Nice all round... Clouds are looking good.
    Fencepost: Another great version of the fishing render and the trees don't look cheesey in the other one... Though the colour needs making less saturated.

I've been making more clouds and getting carried away with stuff tweaking the recipe... The results are fab (thanks again to David) even if I do say so myself.

SpitfiresInClouds.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 196K
    edited June 2015

And another one.

This is quite a large render (1300x1300px) and it rendered in less than 20 minutes... Can't ask for more than that.

(I wish this forum didn't make all my pictures look a bit washed out).

UFOClouds.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 850K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - very nice cloud results. I've seen the last two in the galeries. Very well done.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Time - nice landscape.

@Art - thank you. Scene by the lake looks again great. Nice clouds result.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ TheSavage64 - thanks, i love that plane scene by the way....looks awesome :)

@ fencepost52 - I don't mind at all, for that particular scene the settings were, Density-90. Thickness-4, Base height-0. :)

@ Horo - thank you :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Tim-another awesome render

Art – Thanks, my first attempt at the foam shoreline was not bad, but I forgot to save the file or the material, so I could not adjust it following Horo’s suggestions and had to start again ,:roll: I like both your renders. Nice clouds in the second render.

Dave – beautiful cloud renders

Having fun with Horo’s TE-Filters and his Sunless Hdri skies.

s14.jpg
    900 x 675 - 72K
    s13.jpg
    900 x 450 - 32K
    edited December 1969

Also from me a quick test of Horo's Sunless HDRI. Very nice ambient light and look good. To get greater contrast I didn't use the tone mapping option.

Htest5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Htest4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Htest3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Htest2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 2M
    Htest1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

TheSavage64, electro-elvis, Tim Bateman and fencepost52, you get a good clouds on the lesson of David! But the main applause to guru of Bryce David Brinnen!
    I also tried this lesson, but in object space. While I am not happy with the result. However, I did not have much time because I end up pair still lifes. Here's one of them:

Bunches of grapes

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Regular AA, time 2:21:02.
    Lighting: Dome Light, Radial Light (without shadows), Square Spotlight. The sun is turned off.
    Modeling: Bryce, Wings 3D, 3ds max.
    File size 5.01 MB.

Виноградная_гроздь.jpg
    945 x 1260 - 425K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

Also from me a quick test of Horo's Sunless HDRI. Very nice ambient light and look good. To get greater contrast I didn't use the tone mapping option.

David, luxurious, simply fantastic landscapes! I think that you can create in Bryce volumetric clouds, no worse than in the photo, from which made the HDRI maps.

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice renders, I like the second best.

@David - very nice renders. Yes, tone-mapping makes them too low contrast, I think. Better blend with sky and use transparency to adjust.

@Alex - brautiful still life - again!

I've also spent a couple of hours on the clouds. Not that it took hours to set them up, but to play around with them, adjusting this and that. My main issue is how the clouds hide the sun and create shadows - though with soft transitions, which is very nice. I think either a distant light, a dome light (without casting shadows and excluding the slab) or an HDRI (also excluding the slab) is needed. Below two test renders using an HDRI with a moderate dynamic range (around 4000 to 1) with the sun in the sky. It is positioned so that both suns (the Bryce and the HDRI ones) are at the same location (though the HDRI is 14° higher up). Both renders have approximately the same clouds (filter and size settings) but at different height. Another caveat is that bringing the clouds down to cover the mountain summit seems to make the clouds lose the transparency and white bands appear.

The last render is one using a sunless HDRI.

SunnyAfternoon.jpg
    900 x 540 - 154K
    Clouds_12.jpg
    800 x 533 - 67K
    Clouds_11.jpg
    800 x 533 - 100K
    edited December 1969

We're all going cloud crazy :-)

And lovely looking grapes from you Alex.

For this one I used three different layers of clouds... 2 volumetric and a layer of Bryce Cumulus.
    Obviously it increases the render time, but also even with boosting the quality of the volumetric material up to 20 and with 2 different layers, this scene rendered in 3 hours at 1300px square.

SunSetClouds2.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 756K
    edited December 1969

Yes clouds are fun. Good results. Still life is also good too!

But on the topic of the clouds I feel I can speak with greater confidence of being right. The method was not suitable for Object space as you found Alex, though this is not your fault really, since you could not know what I had to say on the specifics of the mapping mode in the video. Mostly for reasons of scale this is. It could be done, but it would make the process very fiddly because it would mean matching internal XYZ scales of the DTE to the scale of slab via the mat lab transformation tool. By going world space, scales remain absolute allowing easy distortion of the slab object to modify render performance and cloud density without disrupting the cloud form. Long story short, only works for World space.

Lighting. The issue with volume clouds and excluded light. This is a curious thing and something that also has a bearing on light sensitive materials. Now since we are no longer in a position to quiz the programmers we cannot know for certain what happens. But I know from tests that a volumetric material "coats" the surface of geometries that intersect rather than passing into them and it is on this clipped surface where things go wrong. A close look at what happens in these situations show that when an excluded cloud lights up a mountain top for example, it is as if the mountain top itself were lit with ambient light and not the cloud. When I have time to do so, I intend to look closer at this. If this issue could be overcome then more efficient rendering of intersecting clouds could be done, otherwise so far as I know the only way to do this otherwise is not to exclude the cloud and accept a long render time. Which is not that desirable.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited June 2015

Awesome still life, Alex!

Great work on the clouds everyone. Most of them look like photographs. Where can I find the "sunless" HDRI?

Thanks, Tim, for the haze settings. That's about what I use.

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I desaturated the colors on the leaves and rerendered. Will post it later.

Ok, Ok....I know you're tired of seeing this dock, but I'm having fun with it! In this render I took an HDRI from Horo and David's Small World and tried to make the dock fit into it. Not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well. I'll try to stop posting dock renders for awhile! LOL

DockSmallWorldHDRI.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - outstanding clouds. It seems worthwhile to experiment with them.

@David - volumetrics are a bit broken in this Bryce version. Like volumetric lights. Some can be tested in Bryce 6.1 but the cloud to mountain intersection cannot because there's no exclude option. Though it is correct that if the slab is not excluded from the HDRI it renders correctly but takes 6 times longer.

@Art - well, that's amazing. You blended your scene nicely into the backdrop. The sunless HDRIs may come in the store eventually provided DAZ accepts them.

edited December 1969

Ok, Ok....I know you're tired of seeing this dock, but I'm having fun with it! In this render I took an HDRI from Horo and David's Small World and tried to make the dock fit into it. Not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well. I'll try to stop posting dock renders for awhile! LOL

I think you've done a great job matching the colours and lighting to the HDRI... Scene looks good.

edited December 1969

The oddity of white parts when a volume cloud intersects with a terrain is not a HDRI/Exclude issue, it's a volum issue. No matter what light you use to lighten the black shadows, all exhibit the same behaviour if the slab is excluded (radial, distant, parallel, etc). Of course, you can use Sky Dome or reduce shadow Intensity of the sun but the geometry of the terrain gets lost. Using a parallel light shining down instead of Sky Dome is marginally better but increases render time a bit. I think the best option is using a distant light at the sun's position and the same colour, without shadow casting. This renders only a tadd slower than Sky Dome.

Below, sun shadow intensity fully black, Sky Dome as well, a distant light without casting shadows, no falloff, Diffuse Intensity 3 at the sun position, Sun Intensity 400. This gives an acceptable result.

Clouds_17c.jpg
    800 x 533 - 75K
This discussion has been closed.