Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've re-done this one with much better materials on the ship... I also made the ship a tad smaller to increase the sense of vastness.

SunSetClouds3.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 692K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64: Great looking clouds. I like your second variation of the ship.

I am going cloud crazy, too.

northernclouds.jpg
    800 x 800 - 65K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    The oddity of white parts when a volume cloud intersects with a terrain is not a HDRI/Exclude issue, it's a volum issue. No matter what light you use to lighten the black shadows, all exhibit the same behaviour if the slab is excluded (radial, distant, parallel, etc). Of course, you can use Sky Dome or reduce shadow Intensity of the sun but the geometry of the terrain gets lost. Using a parallel light shining down instead of Sky Dome is marginally better but increases render time a bit. I think the best option is using a distant light at the sun's position and the same colour, without shadow casting. This renders only a tadd slower than Sky Dome.

Below, sun shadow intensity fully black, Sky Dome as well, a distant light without casting shadows, no falloff, Diffuse Intensity 3 at the sun position, Sun Intensity 400. This gives an acceptable result.

Horo, I also noticed the strange behavior of the volumetric material. I planted this tree in the place where the alpha channel of Slab is black. That is, the clouds in this place is not! And still the tree trunk was brighter from the cloud.
    Here lighting: Dome Light (Slab excluded) and the sun. Then I cut a hole in the plate with the help of Boolean operations (with a cylinder). Everything fell into place. But in the case of the terrain is not an easy task. :-(
    Cosmic_tree.jpg
    1134 x 1260 - 458K
    edited December 1969

I've re-done this one with much better materials on the ship... I also made the ship a tad smaller to increase the sense of vastness.

Now the sails look much better.

edited December 1969

I am going cloud crazy, too.

electro-Elvis, good clouds! However, be sure to tick "reflection correction" in the Render options!

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

I am amazed by a lot of renders from everyone! The new trick for cloudscape from david is a really nice thing.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,527
    edited December 1969

@Dave - yes, the smaller ship is an improvement for this scene, and the mats used on the sails.

@electro-elvis - nice cloudy scene.

@slepalex - thank you for confirming what I've found. The tree idea is great.

c-ram said:
    I am amazed by a lot of renders from everyone! The new trick for cloudscape from david is a really nice thing.

Yes, you can also spend hours on them.

Here's a zoomed version with cloud to terrain interaction. Lit by the sun and a distant light at the same location without casting shadows. I'm quite pleased how it turned out after 2-1/2 hours. I'm less pleased to see the limit of stacked terrains. The camera is much too close.

Clouds_18.jpg
    900 x 540 - 88K
    edited December 1969

A sea of fog, probably the last experiment with the clouds for the moment.

Clouds_19.jpg
    800 x 533 - 41K
    edited December 1969

Indeed, with clouds can be played infinitely. I spent the whole day and half the night.
    Time rendering of this scene was 5 min., 26 sec. Lighting - the sun only.
    The pictures below show the attributes of the camera, infinite slab, Mat Lab and DTE.
    Projection texture as the Object Space. The advantage of this method, I see the possibility of manipulating the attributes of the object. You can rotate it with the mouse, drag anywhere in the scene and so on. In this case, changing view of clouds.
    Important! Note the option "Alpha Scaling". With this option is achieved lightness, airiness clouds in combination with the value of "base density."
    Big role is played value of the phase in the 4th component of DTE. For large values phase (not to be confused with the frequency!) at the edges of the clouds there is an unpleasant noise in the form of points, at low values there is not enough blurring. Here you need to find a middle ground.
    Next. I has introduced second noise component to an array of cloud looked like as a cylinder. Clouds are located approximately in the center of the world and on the horizon is not clouds. The size of the cylinder depends on the frequency noise (Distance Squared) in the 2nd component. Good results give the number of octaves from 0 to 1, and the frequency of 1 to 7. Try! The method of mixing the components 1 and 2 is the "Multiply". If you change it to "Sub", then it will give the opposite result. That is, the cloud will only be around the perimeter of the world, and in the center of the cloud layer will cut a hole in the form of a cylinder. Analogous to this, but the exact opposite (mirror) result gives use of the noise "Distance Origin". That is, instead of the cylindrical cloud, you get a hole in the clouds in the form of a cylinder, and vice versa. Interesting results also gives a method of mixing components of "Difference". You can make a cloud in the form of a ring, a trace of jet aircraft, smoke from the chimney, and so on. I'm a few years ago is very much engaged in these issues. In this case, still noticeable banding at the edges of the clouds. Need to continue work. :-)

Atributes.jpg
    484 x 321 - 57K
    MatLab.jpg
    762 x 623 - 138K
    DTE.jpg
    1030 x 895 - 206K
    полет_над_горами.jpg
    1050 x 630 - 230K
    edited December 1969

Addicted!!!... This isn't helping me to get my work done :cheese:

CloudsControl.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 708K
    SunSetCloudsRocky.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 738K
    RoughlandClouds.jpg
    1111 x 600 - 404K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,891
    edited December 1969

Those landscapes and the new volumetric cloud-layer method look extremely well. Have to test it soon.
    Alex still lifes are beautiful too. Very well done!

edited December 1969

@slepalex - very nice result. I tried your idea and settings but my results are not so good and I have a lot of banding. Though the good part is that the clouds can be easily moves to get the sun in a good place. Thank you for sharing.

@Dave - the first one is particularly good, and the other two are also great.

None of my examples turned out as nice as the ones from Dave, electro-elvis and Alex.

edited December 1969

Addicted!!!... This isn't helping me to get my work done :cheese:

TheSavage64, 1st and 2nd absolutely realistic!
    I would like to look at the screenshots of the DTE...
    The only low poly tree trunk spoils the impression. It is necessary either to increase the number of polygons or use a procedural texture.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

I decided to have a little play around with the Daz dragon :)

Castle_Dragon.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 122K
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:
    TheSavage64, 1st and 2nd absolutely realistic!
    I would like to look at the screenshots of the DTE...
    The only low poly tree trunk spoils the impression. It is necessary either to increase the number of polygons or use a procedural texture.

Thanks Alex.

I can do better than posting screen shots. Let me have an email address via private message and I'll send you the Bryce Files.
    I'd have to take the tree off because it's an X-Frog tree and even though it's a freebie, I doubt I'm allowed to redistribute it so to be on the safe side I'd take it off (which is no problem as you say, it's not turned out too well). :)

I've just thought, the first one was an experiment in matching colours to an HDRI backdrop and it uses David's Captured volumetric clouds HDRI in the background (my aim was match them so you couldn't tell which was which and I obviously managed it because I only just remembered and it's not obvious)... So I'd have to take that off too. :)

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

David - Thank you very much for you cloud tutorial. And love the scenes with
    Horo's Sunless HDRI, such a beautiful ambience.

Dave - Lovely cloud renders, particularly the one using different layers

Dan - nice castle scene

electro-elvis - Good looking clouds

Tim - Great scene as always

fencepost - Really like all your fishing dock scenes. You found a perfect fishing spot on your last render

Mermaid - The sunless HDRI skies look great. Specially the second one.

slepalex. - Perfect still life. It makes me want to reach in a grab a grape, and thanks for sharing your info... Must try

Horo - I like the idea of illuminating the clouds. Gives them a very nice depth.

My first, second, third.........tenth attempt at David's clouds ended up in the rejection pile... This one I'll keep.

dave_cloud.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 169K
    edited December 1969

I'd have to take the tree off because it's an X-Frog tree and even though it's a freebie, I doubt I'm allowed to redistribute it so to be on the safe side I'd take it off (which is no problem as you say, it's not turned out too well). :)

If you change the trunk, then it will be YOUR tree. I think you are entitled to. Especially since for non-commercial use. :-)
    See a private message.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:

If you change the trunk, then it will be YOUR tree. I think you are entitled to. Especially since for non-commercial use. :-)
    See a private message.

most EULAs state not redistribution in any form, even modified.and this applies to free stuff as well as commercial. And of course Xfrog freebies are actually samples from their commercial packages.

edited December 1969

The tree is a moot point as it looks like I didn't save the version with the tree in it :D
    Also, it doesn't look like I saved the first one (with David's Captured Volumetric Clouds backdrop) at all.

Alex, thanks, will send you that later when my present render has finished rendering. :)

As these were just experiments, I sometimes don't bother keeping the source file, which I know is bad of me, but If I kept everything I do, my hard drive would soon be full.... lol

Meanwhile I think this is the most realistic one I've done so far.
    I'd encourage people to try out different Noise filters in the DTE (only in the first component channel and leaving the combination channel at it's present settings)... Some unexpected results and some good clouds generated.

CloudsOverCliffsB.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 738K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The tree is a moot point as it looks like I didn't save the version with the tree in it :D
    Also, it doesn't look like I saved the first one (with David's Captured Volumetric Clouds backdrop) at all.

Alex, thanks, will send you that later when my present render has finished rendering. :)

As these were just experiments, I sometimes don't bother keeping the source file, which I know is bad of me, but If I kept everything I do, my hard drive would soon be full.... lol

Meanwhile I think this is the most realistic one I've done so far.
    I'd encourage people to try out different Noise filters in the DTE (only in the first component channel and leaving the combination channel at it's present settings)... Some unexpected results and some good clouds generated.

I see faces and creatures in those clouds, am I the only one?

edited June 2015

@Tim - nice dragon scene.

@vivien1 - great vista over the clouds down onto the landscape.

@Dave - great clouds, but there seem to be some banding.

@Pam - you're not alone. Faces, spider, hand.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I suspect these are the most natural and realistic clouds we have seen in Bryce EVER! Superb job David Brinnen and to the rest of you for extending his technique even further. Wowzers.

In some ways this new technique seems not so different from the way the Sky Lab is generating its volume cloud layers, using shading to create the appearance of depth. Anyhow, I am compelled to say the least. All of this and no new features were required. These clouds look better than those I've seen from Vue, or really any CG package. These clouds look real to me. Smiling.

Fun fun!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - great clouds, but there seem to be some banding.

Indeed there is and it's most apparent about two thirds of the way across.
    The problem I had with this configuration was that if I rotated the slab toward the camera, the overall look of the clouds got worse.
    So as an alternative, I increased the quality up to 30 giving a quite long render time (relatively at 3 hours). Obviously plenty more room to increase quality and get rid of the banding totally but didn't the patience to wait 6 or 8 hours :D

Also redone the one with the Bryce Rotate control from the previous page... Re did the terrain, got rod of the control and tree and totally re did the lighting and sun position and sky colours... This one show the further advantage of using layered slabs with slightly altered Mat Lab settings as the higher layer is also more responsive to the diffuse and really glows nicely.

PastelSunSet.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 490K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Definitely a huge string of good clouds in the last few pages, good job guys!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I see faces and creatures in those clouds, am I the only one?

I see a crab and an eagle's skull :)

edited December 1969

@Dave - I was sure you'd noticed. It's exactly what I got when using object mapping and lost patience to move up quality. Tha last one is superb. the material on the terrain is David's Lincolnshire Wolds, if I'm not mistaken.

I had to give myself a rest with clouds and used the stacked terrain to make a ghastly planetscape where possibly Vogons would feel at home. In the sky, the Hog.

ToxicPlanet.jpg
    900 x 540 - 129K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

my latest cloud test :)

Cloud_scape_1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 557K
    edited December 1969

Dave, you can save intermediate materials clouds in the folder "My Clouds", previously created in her a file "temporary". Materials clouds weigh milligrams. Your drive will not even notice this :-)
    By the way, I think that you the biggest progress in creation of material of clouds on David's lesson!
    PS. No need to send me the entire scene. Only Slab or material.
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:
    Dave, you can save intermediate materials clouds in the folder "My Clouds", previously created in her a file "temporary". Materials clouds weigh milligrams. Your drive will not even notice this :-)
    By the way, I think that you the biggest progress in creation of material of clouds on David's lesson!
    PS. No need to send me the entire scene. Only Slab or material.

Thanks again Alex... Though it's really not helping my (paid) workflow at all. :)

I've sent you the scene file anyway because I find that if you load just the cloud material into an empty scene, you won't see what I've done to make it like it is. The whole of the sky colouring, camera placement and viewing angle is important. Plus the overall effect is gained by adding a second slab at a different altitude. Hopefully the scene file won't cause you any problems as it's only 6.9mb and most email services nowadays accept a minimum of 10mb.

Let me know how you get on.

Yes Horo, you're right it is David's material... My first port of call when doing terrains are the Pro Materials or Contributing Artist ones from David. They are always a good starting point even if sometimes they are edited beyond recognition... This one was almost a perfect fit and only needed the scale reducing a bit and the ambient taking off.

More cloud variations from me:

SunSetGlenALT2.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 263K
    SunSetGlen.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 297K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Renders posted are really nice.

Nice cloud video David. Hope the voice improves.

This discussion has been closed.