Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Wow beautiful cloud renders from everyone.

David – very nice renders with Horo’s Sunless Hdri skies

Slepalex – beautiful still, thanks for sharing the screenshots for the clouds

Horo – thanks. Nice cloud renders. The ToxicPlanet is awesome

Art –the dock with the Small World Hdri is amazing.

Dave – all your cloud renders are beautiful, very realistic. It would be nice if you shared you file with us too. ;-) I see a crocodile face in your 2nd image (post 689) not in the clouds but in the terrain. lol

Electro-elvis- nice results using David’s tutorial.

Tim- very nice render with the Daz dragon

Vivien – Thanks Wow, I like your attempt using David’s cloud tutorial,

A few more renders using Horo’s Sunless Hdri skies. The last one is an effect I was working on for many months revisiting David’s Crepuscular Rays and Streaming Rays time and time again. The setup is the same as the 2nd render, I replaced the sky in my original file with one of Horo’s Sunless Hdri skies, and I slightly tweaked and removed the xFrog tree for 3rd render. I liked the effect and decided to share.

s15c.jpg
    734 x 550 - 60K
    s15b.jpg
    734 x 550 - 65K
    s16.jpg
    500 x 500 - 29K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,527
    edited December 1969

@Tim - cloud test looks great.

@Dave - your clouds look great.

@mermaid010 - nice renders, the first is beautiful, the other two are nice. I like the idea with the streaming rays.

I'm not as successful with the clouds as I wish. I somehow can't get them to look the way I intend.

C_06.jpg
    900 x 600 - 105K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I'm not as successful with the clouds as I wish. I somehow can't get them to look the way I intend.

If you're not happy, it may be that you're trying to do it the wrong way around for what's best for this method.
    I have found that it's a lot more difficult to add good clouds to a scene than it is make good clouds and then build your scene around them.

A lower angle looking upward also seems to be the best way to view them and make the slab as close to the ground as you can get it without it interacting with the terrain.

MountainCloudsALT.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 662K
    edited December 1969

Dave – all your cloud renders are beautiful, very realistic. It would be nice if you shared you file with us too. ;-) I see a crocodile face in your 2nd image (post 689) not in the clouds but in the terrain. lol

Thanks. :)

Anyone who wants that scene file, just let me have an email address via PM. I'm happy to share it. :-)

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

I finally got some, um, clothes for The Kids. I've had The Kids for years, but couldn't do anything with them, except maybe from the neck up, which ain't worth much. Since it's a football uniform, I decided to make a playground. I know this doesn't look like any playground you might see today, but it is very much like the playground and school I went to when I was about his age. I guess light blue was the wrong eye color to choose for him, as the render makes him look like a zombie. Oh, well.

We called that slide The Suislide because of how steep it was. It was wide, too. Not wide enough for two kids to go down at once, but wide enough that, if your hips rubbed up against one of the rails and caused enough friction, it could spin you completely around before you hit the bottom. Knocked the wind out of me a couple of times. The platform at the top was big enough for three or four of us to stand around and talk while watching the other kids in the playground below. It was taller than the swing set. We had almost more fun jumping off the edges of the platform and sliding down the poles, pretending we were firemen.

The Jungle Gym had a maze inside of it I just didn't finish before posting this. It was more work than I imagined ... in wire-frame.

The swing set wasn't just like this one. It only had swings. I added the see-saw because I could ... poetic license, you might say. We used to swing facing the school, and, at the apex of our swing, jump off to see how far into the grass we could land. One kid twisted his ankle doing that, and was on crutches for a few weeks.

The Monkey Bars were there. They went mostly ignored because of the Jungle Gym and the slide. I remember a couple of girls fell off of them and broke bones ... one an arm, the other a collar bone. Us boys never fell off, even when we ran across the top. Jumped off many times, but never fell. Kids just don't use stuff as it was intended for.

As I was typing this I remembered that big timbers separated the gravel from the grass. I guess I should add that. As for the gravel, it skinned many a shin. Today they have bark or sand or some such wimpy stuff. The gravel in this image consists of 441 terrains with a special material I made, and you can read more about and get a copy of here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58444/
    Before rendering, I turned off anti-aliasing for just those terrains to give it a bit more gritty look.

All four of these playground pieces and the school wing were made strictly in Bryce from primitives. If any of you would like any of it, let me know, and I'll put it on DropBox for you.

Oh, clouds? Yes, there are clouds. Thank you, David.

SchoolYardPlayground.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 257K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited June 2015

I had a bit of fun with wings :)

Auryn_1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 287K
    Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited December 1969

Horo – thanks. Your render is nice, the clouds don’t look bad.

Dave – very nice render. Thanks for the file, sending you a pm now.

CTippetts – nice render. Great minds………..After downloading your file, I downloaded a few playground objects from archive3d.net

Tim – another awesome render

edited December 1969

No problem Mermaid, I'll get that to you when I get home this afternoon.

Just as a break from the endless cloud possibilities... I set up another V4 in Poser last night.
    Then spent the rest of the night (until 2.30am) Brycifying her materials and trying to get the lighting right.

Still not happy with the result but I'll continue with it tonight.

EmoGirl.jpg
    1266 x 1950 - 138K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

Just as a break from the endless cloud possibilities... I set up another V4 in Poser last night.
    Then spent the rest of the night (until 2.30am) Brycifying her materials and trying to get the lighting right.

Still not happy with the result but I'll continue with it tonight.

Judging by the noise in the shadow areas to render the TA?
    Try my lighting scheme (check your email). However, the hair will still have a long render.
    edited December 1969

I'm also a bit tired of the clouds. Nevertheless, I made another work with them. However, the rendering was long largely because the transparent foliage. After the end of the render, I found that some of the trees are hanging in the air. Rather, the roots sticking out of the ground. It took several hours to resolve the shortcomings with plop render.
    Rays of a wonderful sunset.

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Normal AA, the time 14:41:13.
    Lighting: sun, Sphere Dome Light, Spotlight.
    Modeling: Bryce, Wings 3D.
    File size 25.2 MB.

Лучи_прекрасного_заката.jpg
    1680 x 840 - 670K
    edited June 2015

@Dave - thank you, yes, it did occur to me to find a good spot and put the landscape there. But I don't like to work that way. The sky was here before the Earth, but the clouds came after the mountains ;-P Yes, the view angle and the slab height make a difference, the size in the transformation tools as well. Your mountain scene looks great - and the girl cute.

@CTippetts - looking nice.

@Tim - great shape, two snakes eating each other.

@mermaid010 - thank you. Exactly, they don't look bad, neither do they look good and that's what's bugging me.

@Alex - outstanding render, again. The trees are awesome, really very very beautiful. Thanks for your email. I hope I can manage to test tomorrow.

Here's another attempt, getting the clouds interfere with the mountain, as we can often see where I live. I'm not yet there but I'm moderately satisfied. Very render intensive, even though the slab is thin (X=100, Y=10, Z=2). Lowering Base Density increases render time. This one (in double size) took 1-3/4 hours, sun is main light, a distant light without shadows and a second one opposite, fainter but with shadows. I don't like the hard shadow borders and a test with soft sun shadows and 9 rpp said 8-3/4 hours, which is quite long. So I plop rendered the part from where the mountain leaves the left border to the end and that needed only 3/4 hour. Which means the upper part with the clouds 8 hours.

C_16s.jpg
    800 x 500 - 110K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited June 2015

slepalex said:
    Judging by the noise in the shadow areas to render the TA?
    Try my lighting scheme (check your email). However, the hair will still have a long render.

TA and IBL for that one. It's quite a big render and rendered in about 4 hours but only at 32rpp.

This evening I've tried several different lighting set ups and tweaked the materials.
    This one is lit entirely by IBL (the sun is switched on but is only providing specular)
    Her hair is black in this because I ungrouped her and then excluded the hair components from the IBL (to avoid long render time). It's kept some of it's form because of the specular response from the Bryce sun.
    With TA off, the noise has gone obviously, but she's a bit shiny so I've reduced that on the skin material and I'm now doing another different one with her in a box and lit only by three radials. That one is telling me 5 hours so I'll maybe post it in the morning.

Alex: Your scenes are always so well composed and this one is great.

EmoGirl3.jpg
    1266 x 1950 - 653K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - thank you, yes, it did occur to me to find a good spot and put the landscape there. But I don't like to work that way. The sky was here before the Earth, but the clouds came after the mountains ;-P Yes, the view angle and the slab height make a difference, the size in the transformation tools as well. Your mountain scene looks great - and the girl cute.

Thanks.

By strange coincidence, earlier on I tried to replicate the effect of the clouds interacting with terrains and lighting them up with a coating of white and was going to look into finding a way to counter the effect by using negative lighting. However, my scene didn't show the problem at all... So now I'm even more baffled. I know I have had the same problem in the past with volumetrics but I've no idea why the problem isn't evident here.

MountainCloudsALT2.jpg
    650 x 650 - 203K
    edited December 1969

And here's the result of last night's re-working of the V4.

3 radial lights, rendered with TA switched on at 64rpp... took 6 and a half hours at this smaller size. Would have been 13 hours at the same size as the other 2 versions.

EmoGirl4.jpg
    633 x 975 - 260K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:
    I guess light blue was the wrong eye color to choose for him, as the render makes him look like a zombie.

First I guessed it could also be a bridge/export/import problem. With genesis 2 figures you can run into problems with certain eyes textures, if you import them as an OBJ file or you use the bridge. And then they look like zombies. But I suppose your kid is a genesis 1 figure. That should be work fine. at least in my short test I had no problems. Maybe you could zoom in the eyes and check the material settings?

CTippetts said:
    We called that slide The Suislide because of how steep it was.
    Nice story and I like the material of the slide, too.

All four of these playground pieces and the school wing were made strictly in Bryce from primitives. If any of you would like any of it, let me know, and I'll put it on DropBox for you.
    All of them are looking great. BTW you mentionned DropBox" and it remembered me, that I have tried to send a material with a PM. I hope you received it?

edited December 1969

More to fans of a still life.
    A tray with plums.

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Regular AA, time 1:11:02.
    Lighting: Fill Light, Radial Light (orange without shadows, left), Spotlight (100% soft shadows, right). The sun and the atmosphere is disabled. Background is white.
    Modeling: Bryce, Wings 3D.
    File size 2.97 MB.

Поднос_со_сливами.jpg
    1406 x 900 - 395K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - volumetrics interacting with terrains is not a problem - nice render from you - the issue arises only when you make the light source excluding the slab. Using an HDRI makes the render go on for a small eternity; if the slab is excluded, the eternity becomes quite short but you get the white bands. Same with any other light. No problem as long as the slab is not excluded. That's why I use a distant light at the sun's position but without shadow casting to light up the shadows.

@Alex - beautiful still life, you're really the still life master. The plums look so real that I almost tried to grab them off the table.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited July 2015

@slepalex: Excellent still life. BTW: Congratulations to your entry in the "Top Recent Images" with "Foul weather"!

I made the scene below yesterday and was not quite happy with it. The foreground is too blueish. But I could not figure out how to set the haze parameters in the sky lab in order that the foreground has rich colours and the objects in the background gets more blueish Either everything looked fully saturated or everything looked blueish.

Today I tried a complet different approach. I achived the aerial perspective effect by using nearly transparent, light blue coloured 2D Faces. One is between the foreground and the middleground and a second one between the middleground and the background. I thinks, it looks better this way.

latesnow_800x600.jpg
    800 x 600 - 184K
    latesnowv2_800x600.jpg
    800 x 600 - 199K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - I've seen the first version and thought that haze is a bit on the generous side. As start values, I use around 80% Density and a tenth of that for Thickness and Base Height at 0. Even though you don't use clouds, Cumulus Cloud Height is important, I usually have it at around 25 for a start. You have to switch them on to change the parameter but it stays when you disable them. The heigher they are, the higher up the haze reaches.

The second one has the landscape nice but the clouds are better on the first, I think. The shadows from the clouds look very good on the landscape.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @electro-elvis - I've seen the first version and thought that haze is a bit on the generous side. As start values, I use around 80% Density and a tenth of that for Thickness and Base Height at 0. Even though you don't use clouds, Cumulus Cloud Height is important, I usually have it at around 25 for a start. You have to switch them on to change the parameter but it stays when you disable them. The heigher they are, the higher up the haze reaches.

The second one has the landscape nice but the clouds are better on the first, I think. The shadows from the clouds look very good on the landscape.

I fully agree with Horo!

edited December 1969

@slepalex: Excellent still life. BTW: Congratulations to your entry in the "Top Recent Images" with "Foul weather"!

Thank you, I do not know.
    edited July 2015

Same scene as on the previous page. I exchanged the clouds by a preset by slepalex that is object mapped and makes adjusting the clouds much easier. It also renders faster. Instead of 8-3/4 hours premium 9 rpp it finished in just under 1 hour (double size) and looks more natural, besides.

EDIT TO ADD: Yes Alex, I also just noticed your presence in the “Top Recent Images”. The image IS excellent, well earned.

C_19.jpg
    800 x 500 - 108K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I haven't thought this all the way through, but I'm thinking possibly the haze is centered around a specific altitude (probably 0), so maybe if you were to lower everything in the entire scene you could have the haze up in the air, rather than down on the ground, basically being below it so it won't interfere with the foreground but will still affect the higher mountains and sky?

Similarly, perhaps one could tilt everything in the scene, then move/tilt the camera too so to compensate so the view was identical, but the plane of haze is actually angled relative to the ground (tilting higher up in the back and below ground level in the foreground)?

edited July 2015

Here is another try with Alex's presets. Same terrain, another material and another camera position. Since the clouds don't interact with the terrain I could use an HDRI for the ambient light, only Quality 16 but with shadow casting and the cloud slab excluded. Rendered with soft shadows premium with 9 rpp in just short of 1-1/2 hours at double this size.

C_21.jpg
    800 x 500 - 133K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Dave – nice renders with V4. I like the last one. The cloud renders are also nice.

Slepalex – both the landscape and still life are absolutely beautiful.

Horo-the cloud render are very nice especially the last one its awesome.

Electro-Elvis – nice renders, I like the second one

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Here is another try with Alex's presets. Same terrain, another material and another camera position. Since the clouds don't interact with the terrain I could use an HDRI for the ambient light, only Quality 16 but with shadow casting and the cloud slab excluded. Rendered with soft shadows premium with 9 rpp in just short of 1-1/2 hours at double this size.

It seems to me that "Slab" need to increase twice. Though, this matter of taste. :-)
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - volumetrics interacting with terrains is not a problem - nice render from you - the issue arises only when you make the light source excluding the slab. Using an HDRI makes the render go on for a small eternity; if the slab is excluded, the eternity becomes quite short but you get the white bands. Same with any other light. No problem as long as the slab is not excluded. That's why I use a distant light at the sun's position but without shadow casting to light up the shadows.

Yes, my scene was set up using HDRI and excluding the slab but it didn't show any signs of the problem.
    It turns out I only had the HDRI set low (about 12) and it wasn't enough to cause the anomalous lighting effect to happen.

When I turned the HDRI up to 149 the tops of the mountains became bright white as expected.

I don't know if this moves things forward any but I then created a radial light at world center, set it to only include the terrain and set it's diffuse to -149 and the anomalous white went away.... Of course now all the mountain is way too dark.

I don't have time to look into it any further at the moment, but maybe someone else could run with it and find a solution.

edited December 1969

While we're on with sky and clouds... We had the most amazing electrical storm here tonight.

I got tons of photos but I won't clog the thread up with them... Here's just one.

LightningSky.jpg
    960 x 707 - 88K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Alex - I'll give it another try.

@Dave - what a disappointment. I thought you came up with that sort of clouds. Great photo, though. A negative light: yes, it sucks up light and helps the white bands but not the terrain. If I'm not mistaken, David also experimented with negative lights.

edited July 2015

slepalex said:
    It seems to me that "Slab" need to increase twice. Though, this matter of taste. :-)

Thank you Alex. I doubled the size of the slab. I like the cloud size better but I notice already some banding - though not offending.
    C_22.jpg
    800 x 500 - 123K
    Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.