Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ Horo. i think it turned out great :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

While we're on with sky and clouds... We had the most amazing electrical storm here tonight.

I got tons of photos but I won't clog the thread up with them... Here's just one.

Wow! OK well, I'm still tinkering with the clouds when I get the chance. I've been looking into the light exclusion issue and made a little progress in getting around it. And also, since Horo and Alex were having such success with object space mapping I decided to cover some of the differences that it made swapping from world space to object. So far though all I find to combat the banding in object space is to increase the quality which is not helpful to render times.

Anyhow, here is a new short video covering some of that stuff. Bryce - things about volume clouds - by David Brinnen

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,528
    edited December 1969

@Tim - thank you.

@David - interesting idea to coat the original object (terrain) by a slightly larger invisible one and exclude it. It appears to work. However, i wish to stress that this is not an IBL issue. It happens with any light source the moment you exclude the slab from it.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2015

As the competition is closed, I think I'm safe to submit the below for fun...and just to see what it looked like in 3D (should have thought of that at time of submission). Red/Cyan glasses required.

Jay
    PS. Anyone done the clouds in 3D...might be interesting (I'd do it myself, but am way behind vids and read-ups).
    PPS. Playing the game 'The Vanishing of Ethan Carter' (just any YouTube here I picked if interested in seeing some gameplay), and the landscapes are superb - trees, grasses, flowers...etc., all moving in the wind.

Gravity3d.jpg
    874 x 432 - 317K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Damn.... I don't have the glasses. :-S

Back to the clouds for me... But for this one I've also done the shoreline effect using ambient.
    In fact, thinking about it, it's David's cloud method, David's shoreline method and the mountains are basically David's Gritstone Hills material... So thanks David :cheese:

ClearLake.jpg
    1134 x 650 - 563K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - interesting idea to coat the original object (terrain) by a slightly larger invisible one and exclude it. It appears to work. However, i wish to stress that this is not an IBL issue. It happens with any light source the moment you exclude the slab from it.

Yes I did mean to mention this in my video, to avoid confusion, but I forgot about it again. The issues stems from the use of the influence control. So this includes any light sources that have the option to use influence. It can be either setup to fail using exclusion (the most obvious approach) or inclusion (just an inversion of the former rules).

Dusted down my 3D glasses. Very nice, Jay.

And Dave, great results as per usual!

edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - great anaglyph. I intended to create anaglyphs from my last two cloudy landscapes but forgot about it. So much cloudy things are coming up at the moment. Thanks for the reminder.

@Dave - beautiful, again. The shoreline is a great addition most of the time. Though I use it object space most of the time. But the result doesn't show it, of course. BTW, red/cyan goggles belong next to the keyboard. :coolsmile:

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited December 1969

I've been busy on the dark side, DAZ Studio, for the past while but I have been popping in most days. The cloud renders are very good as are all the others, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I tried David's cloud process but couldn't get my head around it at the time. I have since had time to spend on it so here is a first render. I was concentrating on the clouds so the landscape was just dumped in for effect :-)

Lighting from IBL using the sky, shadows off and the sun is on.

cloud-test-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 266K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you a lot for your advice with the haze Now it just looks as I wanted it to. (Meanwhile because of the heat, the snow has melted and a cow has entered the scene)

latesnowhoroshaze.jpg
    800 x 600 - 452K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you a lot for your advice with the haze Now it just looks as I wanted it to. (Meanwhile because of the heat, the snow has melted and a cow has entered the scene)

It looks much better!
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - you're welcome. It does look better and the cow is from the Fribourg race, I reckon.

I'm currently rendering anaglyphs.

edited July 2015

Cheers all.

All the above are super effects, too...so, I defintely have to learn about shorelines and clouds as soon as I get the chance.

It's amazing how much one can fall way behind when not regularly online (one-hour stints on library computers didn't help)...this thread moves so fast.

Jay

Edit: Electro-elvis...your cow looks a bit small...maybe this video (at 00.29 sec) will help (you'll get a laugh ;))

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited July 2015

Horo said:
    @Tim - thank you.

Dear Brycers!
    I'm still here (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53147/P660/#847405) offers a simple solution, but nobody paid attention.
    Place the cylinder in a place where the cloud covers the top. Group the cylinder and Slab. The cylinder is negative (uncheck "transfer material"!), Slab positive. We exclude a group from IBL or any light source. It's all! You save a bunch of kilobytes. If you have 10 peaks, make 10 cylinders.
    Буфер_обмена01.jpg
    839 x 627 - 191K
    Untitled.jpg
    420 x 315 - 101K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
    edited December 1969

Simply I decided to try black-and-white option of this (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53147/P690/#850989) work. I remembered my youth when I was engaged in the black-and-white photo. :-)
    By the way, black-and-white version shows all the advantages and disadvantages of scene lighting.

Лучи_прекрасного_заката_ч-б.jpg
    1680 x 840 - 432K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

slepalex - beautiful still life, the lighting is just perfect and love the black and white scene

mermaid - very nice trio of clouds. but the first one really stands out. beautiful and fluffy.

electro-elvis - I agree with Horo. It would be nice if you could mix the clouds from the first render and the landscape of the second one.

TheSavage - good looking renders.

CTippetts - You have put a lot of work replicating your school playground. Good job

Horo - The scenes you created using Alex's present looks so much better.

Fishtales - Nice clouds

I haven't been able to get nice clouds in the past few days so I decided to make something quick hard and shiny.

knot.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 104K
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:
    Horo said:
    @Tim - thank you.

Dear Brycers!
    I'm still here (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53147/P660/#847405) offers a simple solution, but nobody paid attention.
    Place the cylinder in a place where the cloud covers the top. Group the cylinder and Slab. The cylinder is negative (uncheck "transfer material"!), Slab positive. We exclude a group from IBL or any light source. It's all! You save a bunch of kilobytes. If you have 10 peaks, make 10 cylinders.

Yes this is a solution, but things are not so straight forwards when it comes to using the influence control with groups. This can be overcome by making sure you exclude before grouping, but since influence does not properly work with groups there is a risk that this will lead to instability when the saved file is reopened. Which is why I was looking for a solution that did not use a mixture of grouping and influence.

Here's a scene that uses Horo's Gasclouds+Flames_A1_3840 HDRI and the clouds and the exclusion approach without grouping.

P66_Rm_n3_2.jpg
    654 x 850 - 636K
    edited July 2015

@slepalex - must have been a misunderstanding. I remember you mentioning a cylinder but somehow didn't grasp the idea. I'll certainly have a look at it

Monochrome shows lighting better than colour, I agree. How do you do it? Just set the saturation of all colours to zero?

@vivien1 - thank you. Great shiny things.

@David - I'm a bit behind, doing anaglyphs at the moment and there are some new cloud materials from slepalex waiting in my inbox for me. And I want to test that "coating" idea of yours and the cylinder idea from slepalex, which sounds easier - except for the include/exclude impossibility of groups.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

For example,

The first image shows sphere 1 with sphere 2 above it grouped into group 2
    Second image, the light source on the left excludes group 2
    Third image, the light source on the right excludes sphere 2 (but this information is hidden now sphere 2 is in group)
    Fourth image shows that the exclusion of the group does not work.
    Fifth image shows how turning the idea on it's head you can include everything except groups...

This may work... maybe... but Bryce is not very happy when groups and influence are used and it is possible that this could result in the influence control "breaking" you see this sometimes when the box is unpopulated except for a black bar.

Image7.jpg
    377 x 266 - 58K
    Image6.jpg
    858 x 686 - 194K
    Image5.jpg
    889 x 577 - 334K
    Image4.jpg
    917 x 622 - 329K
    Image3.jpg
    903 x 599 - 478K
    edited December 1969

A simple cloud scene using Horo's Gasclouds_A3_3840 HDRI

P66_Rm_n5.jpg
    1105 x 850 - 788K
    edited December 1969

Here are the anaglyphs, as promised. The first one has the leftmost rocks out of the frame, which is unfortunate when this happens at a border. The second is better in this respect. Clouds are far away and therefore appear not very 3D-ish. I checked with Bryce clouds on, and those were a bit farther behind.

ValleysAna.jpg
    800 x 500 - 155K
    DissolvingFogAna.jpg
    800 x 500 - 153K
    edited December 1969

For example,

Third image, the light source on the right excludes sphere 2 (but this information is hidden now sphere 2 is in group)
    Fifth image shows how turning the idea on it's head you can include everything except groups...

This may work... maybe... but Bryce is not very happy when groups and influence are used and it is possible that this could result in the influence control "breaking" you see this sometimes when the box is unpopulated except for a black bar.

Any group can be excluded from any light source! Exclusion of members of the group does not help the situation! To exclude should be one condition: all members of the group and subgroups must have Boolean properties. If at least one member of the group is neutral, then the group can not be excluded from the light source.
    edited July 2015

slepalex said:
    For example,

Any group can be excluded from any light source! Exclusion of members of the group does not help the situation! To exclude should be one condition: all members of the group and subgroups must have Boolean properties. If at least one member of the group is neutral, then the group can not be excluded from the light source.

Thanks Alex, that was not a rule I was aware of! That is very useful to know.

Edit: Horo, anaglyphs work very well for me, the shape of the terrain stands out most of all. Very nice results!

Here's another cloud render.

P66_bisle1.jpg
    1105 x 850 - 1M
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

I got a lot of bumps on the forehead, to exclude this chandelier (http://slepalex.deviantart.com/art/Sunny-side-282183906) from numerous light sources. Through trial and error, I realized that all of the objects and subgroups must have Boolean properties. Then I completely regrouped this chandelier. Now there is no any object or subgroup with neutral properties.
    edited December 1969

Absolutely fantastic and beautiful scenery. This watercolor!
    However, here it helps HDR pictures. It is more difficult to do with Bryce skies.

edited December 1969

slepalex said:

I got a lot of bumps on the forehead, to exclude this chandelier (http://slepalex.deviantart.com/art/Sunny-side-282183906) from numerous light sources. Through trial and error, I realized that all of the objects and subgroups must have Boolean properties. Then I completely regrouped this chandelier. Now there is no any object or subgroup with neutral properties.

Yes, I am happy to learn from your trials! Saves me having to bang my own head. I can see now that this makes cutting the cloud and excluding possible - which is good. Also it offers the potential for other future solutions.

Here's one with Horo's Coloured3c_3840.hdr + volume clouds.

P66_Rm_nv2.jpg
    1105 x 850 - 903K
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:

Absolutely fantastic and beautiful scenery. This watercolor!
    However, here it helps HDR pictures. It is more difficult to do with Bryce skies.

Thank you Alex, as yet today no "real work" has caught up with me so I am indulging myself with clouds and Horo's HDRI (Gasclouds+Flames_A1_3840) for this.

temp_file_P66_l21.jpg
    1105 x 850 - 893K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

So many awesome renders and knowledge being shared. I'm sitting back soaking it all up like a sponge! LOL

Out of spite towards Bryce, my computer, and my own poor efforts, I'm posting this render. The basis for the scene is completely from David and Horo's Vegetation product, but I wanted to experiment with some instancing and although I'm getting more proficient with it, Bryce and are arguing a LOT! Yes, I talk to my computer. Yes, I yell at my computer! :)

Anyway, the daisies turned out too large for my liking, but after an initial render of 8+ hours and then finding an error in a model I had in the file, Bryce wanted to re-render the whole thing for another 8+ hours. So, I'm giving up on this piece and posting it just because. :/

The_Hills_are_Alive.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Horo, those anaglyphs are gorgeous...and the mountains really give depth (more should defintely do 3D renders from time to time - I'm defintely a fan). I didn't know about clouds not showing up well in 3D, but I suppose clouds with a more denser composition might produce some results.

David, extraordinary results...you defintely are 'the cloudbuster' ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

Jay, I don't know what a cloudbuster is but I'll take it as a compliment. Here's another cloud/Horo HDRI mashup.

Art, great render, looks very complex indeed!

P66_l2_1.jpg
    1105 x 850 - 1M
    edited December 1969

So many awesome renders and knowledge being shared. I'm sitting back soaking it all up like a sponge! LOL

Out of spite towards Bryce, my computer, and my own poor efforts, I'm posting this render. The basis for the scene is completely from David and Horo's Vegetation product, but I wanted to experiment with some instancing and although I'm getting more proficient with it, Bryce and are arguing a LOT! Yes, I talk to my computer. Yes, I yell at my computer! :)

Anyway, the daisies turned out too large for my liking, but after an initial render of 8+ hours and then finding an error in a model I had in the file, Bryce wanted to re-render the whole thing for another 8+ hours. So, I'm giving up on this piece and posting it just because. :/

Good scene! I like the texture of the stone and vegetation on the distant hills. It is made with spikes on the terrain and texture with Blend Transparency?
    In my opinion it is necessary to reduce the daisy 5 times at least, and apply a translucent material to make them look white.

This discussion has been closed.