Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - thank you. Sounds interesting. I like the distortion idea (virtually thinking out of the box). Bryce has so many tricks up its sleeve that only need to be discovered. Once you have things put together and a video ready, I'm certainly eager to give it a try and if possible condense it to a Memo. I spent over a week with Iray, Octane and Carrara and got rather disappointed. I'm obviously completely daft and incapable to make these softwares run the way I think they should. I had to embark on a Bryce project to get back a bit of sanity. I'll let you know once I have something to show.

At first I had a terrible time learning Carrara but it's beginning to make sense now. There are a few particulars for Bryce users in the way we think and how that tends to disagree with Carrara but once those hurdles are overcome it gets much easier. Lately I've been completely consumed with Carrara and Octane so I am confident that once you get going you'll start having fun.

David,
    Those clouds look particularly good. They remind me somewhat of the volumetrics from Carrara.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

OK croaked my way through it. One component volumetric cloud - a tutorial by David Brinnen See what you reckon.

I learned from this lesson very useful thing, which is not known. You can right-click to fine-tune the phase!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:

OK croaked my way through it. One component volumetric cloud - a tutorial by David Brinnen See what you reckon.

I learned from this lesson very useful thing, which is not known. You can right-click to fine-tune the phase!

That's good. Since you said you could not follow my English, I threw in a few more text boxes to show what keys were being "invisibly" used.

edited December 1969

Using the methods given here One component volumetric cloud - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Orange global ambient, Orange sun with diffuse 400. Tall flat slab. Default terrain. Infinite water. Sky made by Horo and myself gives sunset distant sky. Build time about 5 minutes, Render time shown.

Time.jpg
    537 x 563 - 247K
    Cloud_vid_test5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

David, a question. How would you make a mat for a slag heap, as for my render in the challenge thread. I ended up with a rock pile, which wasn't quite what I wanted. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56292/P90/#840774

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    David, a question. How would you make a mat for a slag heap, as for my render in the challenge thread. I ended up with a rock pile, which wasn't quite what I wanted. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56292/P90/#840774

Do you have a picture of what you are aiming for? The slag heaps I know from personal experience were green hills by the time I saw them. If you can offer some kind of clue, I can probably point you in the right direction.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Do you have a picture of what you are aiming for? The slag heaps I know from personal experience were green hills by the time I saw them. If you can offer some kind of clue, I can probably point you in the right direction.

Well this was the still shot from the film

howgreat-bucolicrocks.jpg
    720 x 540 - 77K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

A mixture of graystone and stonewall, mixed and modified. Something like this?

Slag_test1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,891
    edited December 1969

Wow,

What a wonderful pastoral scenes and mountains and abstracts! And great that David keeps finding new ways to get most out of good old Bryce.
    Still working on a contest entry, this time modelling in Bryce (as well as rendering, of course). Also been on a holiday and need to sort too and enhance more than 2000 photos. Maybe I can later use some of them for inspiration, because I did see some wonderful landscapes!

Keep up the good work!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

That's pretty good David, Looks more like a slag heap than mine, although I was quite proud of my heap of rocks. Any chance of letting me have the mat, so I can experiment?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    chohole said:

That's pretty good David, Looks more like a slag heap than mine, although I was quite proud of my heap of rocks. Any chance of letting me have the mat, so I can experiment?

Check your email.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    chohole said:

Check your email.

Thanks David. Playing now

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Perhaps I should have posted this in the thread about the DAZ store, because the fact is, this took no talent of mine. Everything you see here was either native to Bryce, or downloaded from the DAZ online store. What's more remarkable is; I only paid for two of the products used here ... High Resolution Terrain Set 4 by Herr Wernli and Mr. Brinnen, (from which I used the "Straits" material on the basic, default Bryce terrain ... put to the 3500X3500X350 suggested dimensions for the material to work), and Volumetric Fireballs by Mr. Brinnen. Everything else, to wit; the Slaying the Dragon Bundle, Genesis 2 Barefoot Dancer, (which came with the Pin-up Hair and the Persian Pants and Shirt), and even DAZ 3D Iradium to put those together, (which made me feel like an Iridiot ... took me three weeks to figure out how to load in more than one object at a time), were FREE.

However, that's not the point of this post. The point is; making Bryce "Large Address Aware", (LAA). Thank you Mr. Brinnen, for your link in the "sticky" in this forum about tutorials, which points to your Youtube video showing where to get the, (what some people call a), hack that makes Bryce LAA, and how to use it.

Fact is, even the first image was not possible until Bryce was LAA. Just the mound with the Dragon's Keep, the dragon itself, and the old tree next to it were all Bryce could handle. When I added the damsel in distress, (or "dinner" as the dragon knows her), Bryce crashed with the Out of Memory error while loading her materials. Once Bryce was LAA, I was able to do the second image, (which I still consider a WIP).

I would like to point out that a stoke of luck lined the dragon up perfectly with the pattern on the wall behind it so that the fireball appears to be being blown out of his mouth. I was going to add a cone or something to achieve that effect, but I didn't need to.

Oh, I guess I should also add that I did just a bit of postwork on the second image, using the "smudge" brush in Paint Shop Pro 8 to better blend the differences in the materials of the terrain and the Keep mound where they meet.

PreparingDinner.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 97K
    DragonWithDamsel.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 153K
    edited December 1969

Still life with plums.

General lighting is Sphere Dome Light. Left Spotlight shines with 100% soft shadows, right Square Spotlight orange for creating flare (without shadows). The atmosphere and sunlight off. Background white.
    1st picture: render Normal AA. Time 43 minutes.
    2nd picture: render Premium, 16 rpp, TA, Soft Shadows. Time 8 hours 9 min.
    In the second picture had to reduce diffuse value of Sphere Dome Light and Spotlight, as the picture is too light.
    Compare the quality. In the second picture there is noise in the shadows, and too little contrast. To reduce noise, it is necessary to make a 64 rpp, but what will render time? 32 hours? I think it is not worth the sacrifice. That is not always render with TA is the best solution.

Со_сливами_v2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 450K
    Со_сливами.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 374K
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:

Fact is, even the first image was not possible until Bryce was LAA. Just the mound with the Dragon's Keep, the dragon itself, and the old tree next to it were all Bryce could handle. When I added the damsel in distress, (or "dinner" as the dragon knows her), Bryce crashed with the Out of Memory error while loading her materials. Once Bryce was LAA, I was able to do the second image, (which I still consider a WIP).

CTippetts, as the figure of the dragon and the girls are very small, it is possible to reduce the textures and transparency maps to 256x256. And you will be happy with a minimal amount of memory and the size of the file without the LAA.
    You can even use a procedural texture to the rock in the foreground. It will look more natural, and even reduce the memory.

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

One week away from the forum and the pages are filled with wonderful renders and information galore. Well done everyone.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:
    Still life with plums.

General lighting is Sphere Dome Light. Left Spotlight shines with 100% soft shadows, right Square Spotlight orange for creating flare (without shadows). The atmosphere and sunlight off. Background white.
    1st picture: render Normal AA. Time 43 minutes.
    2nd picture: render Premium, 16 rpp, TA, Soft Shadows. Time 8 hours 9 min.
    In the second picture had to reduce diffuse value of Sphere Dome Light and Spotlight, as the picture is too light.
    Compare the quality. In the second picture there is noise in the shadows, and too little contrast. To reduce noise, it is necessary to make a 64 rpp, but what will render time? 32 hours? I think it is not worth the sacrifice. That is not always render with TA is the best solution.

Love this one, especially the materials you've got on the fruit.
    I agree that the TA render is lacking (only slightly) in contrast and that a 32 hour render does seem excessive.
    Have you tried the Premium render engine but without TA switched on? It can sometimes give a rather flat appearance to shadowed areas but you would loose the noise and could probably render at only 9RPP. :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments on the Escher 'Relativity' render from everyone.

At this point I suppose I should point out that I didn't build the model myself, though I have considered building a version several times over the years, it's always seemed like a mammoth task and I've ended up running away.

So I was very pleased when I came across a freebie of it on the internet.
    If anyone is going to use it, be aware that it's a single mesh object and comes without materials. Also you may want to set your wire resolution at it's highest preview setting so you can orientate it correctly as anything less than highest resolution and it's almost impossible to see in the GUI. :)

Troy Whitmer gets the credit for the model building.
    The model can be found here: www.uni3d.com

edited December 1969

Love this one, especially the materials you've got on the fruit.
    I agree that the TA render is lacking (only slightly) in contrast and that a 32 hour render does seem excessive.
    Have you tried the Premium render engine but without TA switched on? It can sometimes give a rather flat appearance to shadowed areas but you would loose the noise and could probably render at only 9RPP. :)

Thank you.
    Yes, I do it very often, mainly for landscapes. You can see the description of the work in my gallery. There's always written rendering mode:
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=slepalex&x=0&y=0
    Usually render Premium 16 rpp (without TA) is better than Regular AA, and render time a little more. But in this case, it makes little sense, since all objects is large and no small parts.

edited December 1969

Added some of the new clouds to a scene of Horo's and mine, the HDRI by Horo also includes some clouds, I did my best to match the colours of those to the volumetrics.

P56_example_scene2+clouds.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Same cloud again (as tutorial) only with a base density of 60 rather than 65.

B7_1_0_73_p17_s5_v1+clouds.jpg
    850 x 850 - 729K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited June 2015

Horo said:
    @Art - great render. Would have taken me days to get the foreground together. Really very nice.

Thank you, Horo. It actually wasn't too bad. The most difficult thing was placement of the fishing poles/lines/bobbers, as they were a single model I did in Wings, and the you can only do so much with a fixed length of fishing line. :) Also, the bobber closest to the camera has a little wave under it to show a fish is on the line. That was hard to get looking right. It was also challenging making the fishing line visible, but not overly so. It was a really fun render and something I needed to do to relieve some stress.

@DaveSavage: Awesome renders all around. You sure know your craft.

@SlepAlex: Everything you put forth is great. I'm amazed at your mastery of composition. As a non-artist, I appreciate what true artists do.

@CTippetts: Nice dragon scenes. I like the night scene the best and what you've done with the fireball. It appears that you've lit the rock below the flame, which is what you'd expect to see if the rock was heated up too many times. Well done.

@David Brinnen: Thanks again for the videos: Altitude-based shoreline effect and the new volumetric cloud series. Spare time has been hard for me to come by lately, but I'm really looking forward to experimenting with both. You've really pushed Bryce with awesome results. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:

CTippetts, as the figure of the dragon and the girls are very small, it is possible to reduce the textures and transparency maps to 256x256. And you will be happy with a minimal amount of memory and the size of the file without the LAA.
    You can even use a procedural texture to the rock in the foreground. It will look more natural, and even reduce the memory.

@slepalex - Your plum stills are GREAT! BTW, I once made a joking comment about a similar still you did a few months back, when I did not know about our language barrier. I should have simply said that one was GREAT as well. I really admire your art. Thus, I greatly appreciate your advice. I had read somewhere before about scaling down the material to save memory, so, thank you very much for reminding me that can be done

As it is, I did the dragon, tree, and rock as one object in DAZ Iradium, which was a mistake, in retrospect. Once the dragon was posed, I should have deleted the rock and tree, then export them individually, and re-pose them in Bryce. However, the girl was a separate object, and it would be easy to do as you suggest. (Well, I assume it will be easy. I've never done it before, and will need to look at some tutorials before I try, but I have modified DAZ texture maps before, so I assume it's about the same, only different. Same tools, anyway.)

As for the material for the rock ... yes! You are absolutely right. I should simply apply the same material I used on the terrain. The material that came with the DAZ object looks quite like an elephant's skin. Of course, that will mean I will have to do the extra work I described to make the fireball again look like it's coming from the dragon's mouth. No problem, really. However, I like the material for the Keep at the top of the rock. I'm sure I can isolate it.

EDIT
    @CTippetts: Nice dragon scenes. I like the night scene the best and what you've done with the fireball. It appears that you've lit the rock below the flame, which is what you'd expect to see if the rock was heated up too many times. Well done.
    EDIT

@fencepost52 - I only presented the first image to demonstrate how far I got while Bryce was only aware of 2Gig of the 8Gig of memory on the system I built those on. My goal was the night scene in the second WIP. If I couldn't get the girl in, the fireball wouldn't fit either.

All credit for the fireball goes to Mr. Brinnen. I bought it from the DAZ store. What you describe is the result of something brilliant he did. Every time I tried making such an object, where the object must glow from within, I've placed a radial light inside the object. However, the amazing Mr. Brinnen did just the opposite and placed the object inside the light. Brilliant! (Um, no pun intended.) This makes sense, because, no matter how big the radial light is made, the source of the light itself is still a pinpoint in the center of it. However, where the light starts falloff is changed by the size of the light, (as I perceive ... I may be wrong. If anyone can confirm or deny this, I, for one, would appreciate it.). So, in reply to your comment; no, really. The fireball and rock are lit by the same radial light, which extends literally inside the rock. Hot topic, (pun intended).

edited December 1969

@David Brinnen: Thanks again for the videos: Altitude-based shoreline effect and the new volumetric cloud series. Spare time has been hard for me to come by lately, but I'm really looking forward to experimenting with both. You've really pushed Bryce with awesome results. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

You are welcome. Not really that ill, just a sore throat and lost my voice. I blame the pollen. Anyway's back to work on the building site tomorrow, voice or no voice. In the mean time, some more clouds... Based on the same process described in the last video.

Eastcoast_update_4_IBL_clouds5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 2M
    Eastcoast_update_4_IBL_clouds4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Eastcoast_update_4_IBL_clouds3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Eastcoast_update_4_IBL_clouds2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Eastcoast_update_4_IBL_clouds.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen: These clouds look beautiful.

Though I have hardly no time, I had to make the following scene. It is nothing special, but I was so happy, then I managed to create my first clothing in Hexagon and even managed to dress up a figure in DAZ studio with it. And my sweater follows the figure's movements. And last but not least I could add an adjustment to my sweater. Now I can even adjust the waist. A tiny step for mankind, but a huge step for me ;-)

myfirstsweater.jpg
    800 x 600 - 139K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited June 2015

@Rashad - thank you for your comment, Rashad. I've paid for Carrara from version 3 on for each new version up to 8, we even had a Xmas present 2012 for the Carrara community. All the effort and money couldn't make me change to Carrara. I didn't purchase 8.5 anymore. There's nothing wrong with Carrara, only with me.

@CTippetts - nice renders, there's nothing wrong with taking objects from DAZ 3D and put them into a scene. There's still enough Bryce fun left to compose and render a picture. I think you've come up with two nice scenes.

Yes, indeed, we're all grateful to LordHardDriven (haven't seen him for a while) who came up with the LAA option first. Though there was some critisism to my video Bryce Memory Shortage - and what you can do about it here and in other forums that making Bryce large address aware would crash Bryce and enabling it was bad advice, I've used it successfully not only on all Bryce versions since 4 but also for many other 32 bit applications. I find it also helpful to use the Process Monitor (on the same website as LAA) to see how Bryce uses the memory so you can save your work early enough. The Task Manager is not ideal because there are many programs running in the background and you have to calculate the memory left constantly. Besides, when I run the Task Manager, some parts of Bryce refuse to work.

@slepalex - your still life examples with regular and premium rendering are very instructive (apart from being very nice renders). I use to plop-render critical parts and then decide whether using regular or premium render - and how I set the rpp.

@David - the clouds look very realistic, the white ones in the first series. The more coloured ones in the second example series also look great.

@electro-elvis - your Hexagon skills are great. The best I did with Hex 2.5 so far is creating a cube. The render looks good, too, but a bit much of haze, it appears. Great pose!

Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited December 1969

Very inspiring work from everyone. :-)

David thanks for the new video, beautiful clouds.

Another attempt at Bryce 7.1 Pro - About the ambient shoreline effect for Art Wade - by David Brinnen Personally I like the foam effect of my1st attempt which I posted a few days ago, post #528

Two versions – 1st using a preset sky the 2nd using one of Horo’s ErmCloud Hdris. Both are Premium 16Rpp, Boost light, Soft Shadows

s03.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 66K
    foameffect2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 66K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Great images and some really excellent cloud images. Many thanks to David B for his cloud tutorial (messing with it now). Great fun…

Here's my newest image:
    "Fight or Yield?"
    Content used:
    DAZ Genesis 2 female
    OOT Natasha character and textures (reduced from 4000x4000 to 2000x2000)
    OOT Centigrade outfit
    OOT Yasmine hair
    DAZ Dragon 3
    DAZ Fantasy Castle

Characters posed in DAZ Studio 4 and staged and rendered in Bryce 7.1 Pro. Illuminated by the Bryce sun, a large dome light and a radial light inside the sphere. About 6 hours to render @64 RPP with True Ambience and DOF.

TIA for any comments and thanks for looking!

yeild.jpg
    1250 x 937 - 313K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Nice one Dan....ok I have a question for the smart people someone said Studio 4.8 will not work with Bryce...Does anyone know if this is true...I am not DL if it will not work Thanks Trish

edited December 1969

They fixed the bridge in the latest update AFAIK

This discussion has been closed.