Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

Mill №2.

This mill was built on a different principle than the mill №1. The individual elements are modeled in Wings.
    In the second picture the three elements, of which a mill was built, plus some logs and stones. It only duplicate (Ctrl + D) of all the elements, that is, complete real geometry. File size is not much larger than in Mill # 1 (1,81 Mb against 1,18 Mb). But I saved the object "Mill №2" without problems in the library. All textures also procedural.

Mill_#2_elements.jpg
    498 x 786 - 55K
    мельница2.jpg
    672 x 840 - 73K
    edited December 1969

Here are work with mill №2.
    Foul weather

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Premium 16 rpp, time 51 hours 11 minutes.
    Lighting: sun, Sphere Dome Light.
    Modeling: Wings 3D, Bryce.
    In a scene using Instancing Lab, transparent foliage and volumetric clouds.
    The file size of this scene 18.9 MB.

Ненастье.jpg
    1680 x 840 - 639K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - great results of your experiments.

slepalex said:
    Horo, I seem to be did not lose master. File beautifully saved and opened again. Although I had a similar case. I deleted the master and save the scene. But I could not open it. As a result, the work of the whole week was lost.

Evidently not since you could load the saved scene. So we have here a bug that pops up at random, it's not the only one. I hate these bugs that cannot be consistently repeated. I spent yesterday morning on one in the terrain editor. A 1024 terrain saved in the object library could be exported as 16 bit image, the 2048 and 4096 ones exported as 8 bit colour, no matter what I tried. TE generated terrains in that size exported correctly.

By the way: file size is no help, since Bryce 6.0 the source files are compressed. You need to check with the Task Manager (a bit difficult) or use the free Process Monitor that shows memory and processor usage for a selected program, e.g. Bryce. Loading a file needs a lot of memory because it is loaded into memory, uncompressed in memory and only then is the file removed from memory.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

By the way: file size is no help, since Bryce 6.0 the source files are compressed. You need to check with the Task Manager (a bit difficult) or use the free Process Monitor that shows memory and processor usage for a selected program, e.g. Bryce. Loading a file needs a lot of memory because it is loaded into memory, uncompressed in memory and only then is the file removed from memory.

Horo, Task Manager does not have time to react!
    I open a blank scene, then give the command "Merge" and load "Mill # 1." Instantly this message appears.
    Check your mail, I sent you a file "Mill # 1." You can check.

ошибка.jpg
    396 x 497 - 70K
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Alex. I got it. I'll check soon and get back to you.

edited December 1969

I played with Mill#1 and sent you my findings. Not anything helpful, though. I couldn't find anything wrong with the model, so something must be wrong with Bryce.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comment Horo

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Nice abstracts, Mermaid. I haven't watched that video yet, will hopefully get around to it soon.

I've been playing with the Big Sheep from Poser... Imported into Bryce of course.

SheepCircle.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 726K
    SheepCircle2.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 486K
    edited December 1969

That scene looks great Alex, love the tractor mark in the muddy ground and the windmill looks great there in the distance.

After doing so many 'outdoors' renders recently, I've gone back to my comfort zone with some close up work.

Blocks.jpg
    1666 x 975 - 391K
  • weibinxweibinx Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

clouds

Cloudsea2.png
    540 x 405 - 229K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I played with Mill#1 and sent you my findings. Not anything helpful, though. I couldn't find anything wrong with the model, so something must be wrong with Bryce.

Thank Horo.
    edited December 1969

And another one, this one inspired by Mondrian (of course).

Because modern art isn't modern enough, I've modernised it.

Mondrian.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 339K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited June 2015

Lots of very nice renders being posted. Sorry I can't comment on them at the moment, but work is taking up almost all my time right now and it took all I could do to sit down and render something.

Art

AnisotrophicWater3.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Due to not being very well and having been tinkering around with volumetrics again in the form of light sensitivity, I went back to the drawing board with the clouds and with the benefit of a few years of hindsight, started over and went about making clouds in a different way. Several different ways. Not all were that good. But it gave me an opportunity to experiment and here's what I've boiled down my latest approach to. When I get my voice back (it is sadly lacking at the moment) I'll make some time to make a video explaining how to go about this if anyone is interested. Any criticism is welcome. This is the 22nd incarnation of this file and I can no longer really be objective about it. I think I've achieved the goal I set out for. But by now, it's hard to know.

os_clouds_v_a_B_22_1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 291K
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear you've not been well David.

Your clouds look fab to me... Well the ones close to the camera do. They seem to loose realism the further away they get, but in most cases, the further away ones would already be behind stuff anyway.

As always, I'd love to see a video of how you went about it, thanks. :)

edited June 2015

Sorry to hear you've not been well David.

Your clouds look fab to me... Well the ones close to the camera do. They seem to loose realism the further away they get, but in most cases, the further away ones would already be behind stuff anyway.

As always, I'd love to see a video of how you went about it, thanks. :)

Yes I got that impression, the further clouds looked a bit too busy. Nice concept above, with the Mondrian image, it was interesting to see how his stylised landscapes evolved from more naturalistic scenes.

Here is another looking up (cuts out the uglier distant clouds).

os_clouds_v_a_B_22_2.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 759K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Yup, they look nicerer. :cheese:

Meanwhile: I've been expanding the Mondrian theme and getting a bit Escher with it.

MondianEscher2ALT.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 328K
    edited December 1969

Due to not being very well and having been tinkering around with volumetrics again in the form of light sensitivity, I went back to the drawing board with the clouds and with the benefit of a few years of hindsight, started over and went about making clouds in a different way. Several different ways. Not all were that good. But it gave me an opportunity to experiment and here's what I've boiled down my latest approach to. When I get my voice back (it is sadly lacking at the moment) I'll make some time to make a video explaining how to go about this if anyone is interested. Any criticism is welcome. This is the 22nd incarnation of this file and I can no longer really be objective about it. I think I've achieved the goal I set out for. But by now, it's hard to know.

Very natural, translucent and torn edges of the clouds. Your new research in Bryce inspire us to new exploits!
    As for the video, I'll watch it, but do not listen. :-) As I don't perceive aurally English at all. Now, if the voiceover print as text that is another matter. Or just watch screenshots DTE and Mat Lab.

edited December 1969

Meanwhile: I've been expanding the Mondrian theme and getting a bit Escher with it.

Very interesting cyclorama. It is inside a cylinder or a torus?

edited June 2015

slepalex said:

Very natural, translucent and torn edges of the clouds. Your new research in Bryce inspire us to new exploits!
    As for the video, I'll watch it, but do not listen. :-) As I don't perceive aurally English at all. Now, if the voiceover print as text that is another matter. Or just watch screenshots DTE and Mat Lab.

I will try to keep it concise enough for maybe if you can speak nicely to Horo he will be good enough to do a PDF transcription. The process is much more compact than before. Which was what I was aiming for.

Dave, very nice 3D version, though I would like to see some of the cubes pushed in and out too in this.

A darker variant.

os_clouds_v_a_B_22_3.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 649K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:
    Very interesting cyclorama. It is inside a cylinder or a torus?

Thanks.
    It's neither. The flat design is in a mirrored cube to make it infinite and then a 360° Panoramic render is done. :)

edited December 1969

Dave, very nice 3D version, though I would like to see some of the cubes pushed in and out too in this.

I tried that first, but it looked odd because of the panoramic render distortion... I'm may have another go later.

Mondrian is having the evening off... Escher is still busy though tiling his hallway.

EscherRelativityTil.jpg
    650 x 650 - 700K
    edited December 1969

I tried that first, but it looked odd because of the panoramic render distortion... I'm may have another go later.

Mondrian is having the evening off... Escher is still busy though tiling his hallway.

That's brilliant! Just needs some figures. But they would be hard to position I imagine.

edited December 1969

Very impressive! I can not even imagine how it is possible to model!
    And who is Mondrian?
    edited December 1969

slepalex said:

And who is Mondrian?

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Piet_Mondrian

edited December 1969

slepalex said:

And who is Mondrian?

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Piet_Mondrian

He even has a windmill! :-)
    http://www.wikiart.org/en/piet-mondrian/windmill-in-the-gein-1907

edited December 1969

@Dave - nice sheep scene. Seems that there's yet some grass to eat. Great cube render. The Mondrian inspired one looks even better. You came quite close to Escher's "Relativity" from 1953. I wouldn't know how to go about to model it. Absolutely outstanding work.

@weibinx - nice clouds.

@Art - great render. Would have taken me days to get the foreground together. Really very nice.

@David - interesting clouds. Last one looks very convincing. How's about the render time?

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - interesting clouds. Last one looks very convincing. How's about the render time?

In one way the answer to this is "as good or as bad as before" depending on your expectations. But that is not the whole story. During my experiments with the light sensitive volumetric materials I did try generating clouds by using gel lights to "solidify" the cloud shapes in the sky. This you might guess was one of those "long shots" and while it is possible, the render times for this approach is prohibitively high and besides, it's not really a sensible way to do it as any additional light sources then upset the clouds. However, a byproduct of this testing has led me to further consider what role "quality" is playing. And have found that for the slab because of the way it "builds" the volume - in a series of slices there is it appears a "redundant" direction and that by distorting the slab you can have variable "directional" quality. In other words high quality in the direction of view and low quality in a direction that does not matter. In consequence it is possible to reduce render times by as much as a quarter and certainly it seems a halving of render time is achievable just by using this mechanic for any volumetric cloud slab. The draw back here then is that clouds with object space mapping used will be distorted by this trick. The alternative approach I have come up with however does not depend on the fiddly object space "cutting" method but instead uses a different means to provide the illusion of form to the bottom of the cloud slab.

edited June 2015

@David - thank you. Sounds interesting. I like the distortion idea (virtually thinking out of the box). Bryce has so many tricks up its sleeve that only need to be discovered. Once you have things put together and a video ready, I'm certainly eager to give it a try and if possible condense it to a Memo. I spent over a week with Iray, Octane and Carrara and got rather disappointed. I'm obviously completely daft and incapable to make these softwares run the way I think they should. I had to embark on a Bryce project to get back a bit of sanity. I'll let you know once I have something to show.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - thank you. Sounds interesting. I like the distortion idea (virtually thinking out of the box). Bryce has so many tricks up its sleeve that only need to be discovered. Once you have things put together and a video ready, I'm certainly eager to give it a try and if possible condense it to a Memo. I spent over a week with Iray, Octane and Carrara and got rather disappointed. I'm obviously completely daft and incapable to make these softwares run the way I think they should. I had to embark on a Bryce project to get back a bit of sanity. I'll let you know once I have something to show.

OK croaked my way through it. One component volumetric cloud - a tutorial by David Brinnen See what you reckon.

This discussion has been closed.