Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Good to see everyone's been busy Bryceing, well I had a bit of time this afternoon to answer a question put to me by Art Wade who is known here as Fencepost (mysterious name) anyway, here's my answer to his question, which might also prove useful to some others too... Bryce 7.1 Pro - About the ambient shoreline effect for Art Wade - by David Brinnen

There's some clouds there that look sort of familiar but nicely modified.

And some renders that make use of the Terrain Filter, which due to pressure of groundwork (yes it goes on and on and indeed I've also stated an outdoor project of my own - not that I need anything to keep me busy) - I've digressed and lost the thread... oh yes, I've still yet to do Horo's terrain filter program justice, I can see a lot of potential for some really fine work on high resolution terrains, but Bryce's somewhat sluggish handling of the planetary resolutions slows down the testing process. Horo's program by comparison works amazingly fast. As fast as you can activate the filters on my machine, something that cannot be said for Bryce. Testament to efficiency of Horo's program.

Art.jpg
    1262 x 695 - 836K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,891
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: Good looking robot, wonderful pose.

@TheSavage64: Thanks! And great work on those renders.

@Horo, Mermaid010: thank you.

@chohole: Good looking ruin render!

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

I had a bit of time this afternoon to answer a question put to me by Art Wade who is known here as Fencepost (mysterious name)

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Watched it once already and I'm sure there will be many other viewings and experimentations.

As far as my "mysterious" name, that goes back to the late 1970's when CB radios were all the rage. I had a friend who lived across the highway from me and when our folks wouldn't let us hang out together, I sat on a large fencepost in the front yard and chatted with him across the road. I needed a handle (CB radio name) and fencepost was what came to mind first. The 52 at the end of my name was my high school football number. :)

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@Hansmar - I made this for you. Really I made it for me. I've been wanting to make one of these. I can't really remember why, now, but I'm sure there was something I did that I settled on something less fitting for. Fact is, you inspired me to get it done, because I could see that you needed it, and didn't have it. Um, think about two of these ... "twins" "Shining" down on, um, let's say, a nicely done hallway scene from a movie.

I have always said I am not very good at this, so, though others will say, "What's the big deal?", this was the most complicated shape I ever had to wrap my Bryce brain around. Not the lamp as a whole, but just the curvey glass fringe at the bottom of the bell. Let's just say I have had all the PI I can stand for awhile. I'm ready for cake. ("Pi r^2? No. Cake r^2. Pi r round!")

One thing you might want to change is the simple gromet on the top of the lamp assembly, by copying and flipping the thumbscrew on the ceiling assembly. I did the gromets first, then, as an afterthought, decided it needed a thumbscrew at the ceiling. Now that I'm done, I realized the gromet doesn't look so good.

The lightbulb itself is not very well done ... was made very quickly, but I noticed there are several free ones you can download from several of the free source sites out there to replace it. The taper and material is bad on this one.

Also, you might want to play with other materials. For example, I think the glass of the cover should be more frosted than transparent. An odd thing happened with the wire. I made it with a solid "conductor" inside of a transluscent "insulator", but somehow the solid core seems to have disappeared due to the outer material. Also, the chain is a different material than the fixture's cap and ceiling mount, and neither material seems right to me. Fix those things with Bryce 7 materials. (This was done in Bryce 5.)

It's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdprhxwq7ryr50d/CurveyGlassHangingLamp.br5?dl=0

hansmar said:
    EDIT
    @CTippetts: You may reconsider the branding of your battery :) Not many people will buy them, even though they look great.

EDIT

Oh, BTW, about the battery; I named it that because another name for "model" or "mannequin" is "dummy", and that word happens to start with "DU", just like an un-named popular battery brand. It is not at all a reference to anyone who is smart enough to use my battery model, like you imply. As far as "buyer" goes, well, the price is the same as the voltage that "dummy" battery produces ... 0 volts = $0, (see the label on the side in the copper part ... even the part number is meant as a joke). (Um, see below.)

EDIT
    CTippetts - Love the batteries. I'm sure to keep an eye out for them in the shops
    EDIT

@Vivien1 - Not sure what you mean by "the shops". Just click on the link in the original post with the picture of them, and the battery is yours. I get great joy and solice from using Bryce. Though it's the most used program I have, (other than my browser), I've put very little money into it, thanks to the wonderful folks at DAZ, and users like you. Therefore, the least I can do is give back to the Bryce community. That includes you. I'll try to continue to do that through the DAZ forums ... not some shop. THAT'S JUST ME! THIS IS IN NO WAY A GUILT TRIP ON THOSE WHO SELL THEIR WORK. I CAN DO THIS, BUT THEY MAY NOT BE ABLE TO.

HAVE FUN!

CurveyGlassHangingLamp_Cropped.jpg
    435 x 918 - 135K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

More of David's Cloudscapes (tweaked a bit)

Skyscape5.jpg
    1665 x 845 - 424K
    Skyscape4.jpg
    1666 x 750 - 388K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

here is a new one from me for today :)

The_Oasis.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 312K
    edited December 1969

I am really happy how this turned out, so i thought i would share :)

Old_london.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 258K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,526
    edited December 1969

@Dave - very nice landscape renders. The centre one with the far castle is particularly nice. From the second series, I like the seconf best.

@Pam - great use of the ruin, very warm and the foreground is beautiful.

@CTippetts - nice light bulb.

@Tim - nice palm scene, the urban scene looks fine, too.

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Mermaid - Great looking terrains... But I'm impressed with the 3rd and 4th. Fantastic use of the terrain filters... I would call it liquid glass.

TheSavage - Nice freebie... the moon and the clouds setting gives a suspense feeling to the scene... Vey nice. Thanks for the link

Hansmar - Interesting abstract. like the colours

Tim - Great model

TheSavage - Beautiful scenes. and tweaking of clouds

chohole - definitely a great scene using the abby ruin

David - Thank you for answering Art's question about shoreline effect... Certainly I'll be watching the video many times

CTippetts - What I meant by "The Shops". Is a imaginary shop. A place maybe called (CTippetts Hardware Store) Somewhere I can find different types of batteries and I see you have lamps as well now. Not to buy, just to admire your effort of reproducing objects in Bryce.

Tim - Wonderful renders.

This one just for fun.... I used one of my old Mandelbulb 3d images as material for a cube. and tried to complimented as much as I could.
    ( if anyone out there can tell me how I can make seamless images I'll be very grateful)

mandelbulb.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 173K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited June 2015

Dave – beautiful renders using the Cloudscapes

Pam – nice render, love the foreground

David –so cool to see a tutorial from you, it’s been a long time. :-)

Tim- love your renders, both are very nicely done.

Vivien – thanks. Awesome render. I love playing with Mandelbulb 3d and really like your idea. Thanks for sharing.

Hansmar brought it to my notice that there is pixelation in my renders post no 486. I checked a few of my other renders done recently and also found some sort of pixelation in most of them. At that time I thought it would be due to the poor quality of the images that I used as texture for the furniture, but the others were textured using Bryce presets.

After a few hours of hair-pulling I found that when I saved those renders the Jpg compression was set to “Low Quality” not the default “High Quality”. I thought I’ll share this in case someone else has pixelation problems. Thanks Hansmar, I would not have picked this up if you did not mention it. :)

Horo’s TE-Filters Program is now in the store, here’s a render using the Foamy water, generated in the DTE and Mounds terrains which were combined in the TE Filter Program, lit by the Sunset4a Hdri from Horo and David.

te16.jpg
    900 x 675 - 77K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

thanks for the nice comments :) ...here is another i thought i would share :)

dragon_ball.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 206K
    edited December 1969

More messing around with the recently purchased Bryce Pro Cloudscapes.

This was a complex render and required an amount of post work compositing three different renders of the same scene using different render settings.

The first stage in the rendering was everything EXCEPT the sky (for this I made the Cloud Slab invisible).
    The Second stage was rendering the sky (for this I removed all materials from everything except the clouds and turned off soft shadows).
    The third stage was rendering an object mask containing everything except the cloud slab.

The reason for this complex set up is because soft shadows in Regular Render mode take forever and Volumetric Clouds in Premium mode take for ever. So I separated the two components of the scene and rendered them separately and used the Object Mask render in Photoshop to put them back together perfectly. Even after all that phaffing around, the render still took 6 hours all together, but would have taken over 16 hours had I tried to get everything I wanted in one pass.

If anyone's interested to see the three raw renders, I'll post them later.

DragonScapeMain.jpg
    2000 x 960 - 602K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

More messing around with the recently purchased Bryce Pro Cloudscapes.

This was a complex render and required an amount of post work compositing three different renders of the same scene using different render settings.

The first stage in the rendering was everything EXCEPT the sky (for this I made the Cloud Slab invisible).
    The Second stage was rendering the sky (for this I removed all materials from everything except the clouds and turned off soft shadows).
    The third stage was rendering an object mask containing everything except the cloud slab.

The reason for this complex set up is because soft shadows in Regular Render mode take forever and Volumetric Clouds in Premium mode take for ever. So I separated the two components of the scene and rendered them separately and used the Object Mask render in Photoshop to put them back together perfectly. Even after all that phaffing around, the render still took 6 hours all together, but would have taken over 16 hours had I tried to get everything I wanted in one pass.

If anyone's interested to see the three raw renders, I'll post them later.

Patience, my friend!
    Render of good scene requires sacrifices! Render of this my scene was about 150 hours.
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/68592
    I did render intermittently, in stages, at night. The scene is illuminated by the sun and the Sphere Dome Light. Volumetric clouds excluded from Sphere Dome Light. Render Premium 16 rpp without TA and soft shadows. But all the vegetation in the scene has transparent properties, which affect the duration of the rendering more than volumetric clouds.
    With regard to your work, it can be optimized. For example:
    1. Disable the sunlight.
    2. Put in any place of scene Distant Light at the same altitude and azimuth as in the sun. Diffuse = 5 of Distant Light corresponds approximately to diffuse = 100 of the sun. Include only volumetric clouds (Slab).
    3. Duplicate Distant Light. Exclude volumetric clouds (Slab) and include "soft shadows". Or you can use the Radial Light, Spot Light and so on.
    4. Assign render Premium 16 rpp (without TA) and mark "soft shadows". As practice shows, this mode gives better results than the Regular AA, and the time is about the same or less.
    5. Render possible intermittently, periodically save the file and render resuming again.
    As a result, you will have soft shadows in the foreground, but they do not concern volumetric clouds!
    I think that for such a simple scene renderer will not last more than 30 hours. Especially because there is no transparent objects. By the way, what is your processor?

PS. A lot of good works here that pleases (Tim Bateman, TheSavage64, mermaid010 and so on.). So Bryce is still alive!

edited December 1969

Thanks Slepalex for sharing your methods.

I think I already optimised it by rendering it in 6 hours. :cheese:
    That's the combined total for all three renders and i ended up with the result I wanted.

I have been known to do long renders too but usually they are reserved for my commercial work.
    The stuff I post on here for fun is usually the quick stuff... Or at least as quick as I can make it.

My renders for the forum normally take around one hour and most of the time I use TA and soft shadows etc.
    This one was a slight exception because I'm experimenting with David's Volumetric Clouds.

My processor is a 2.2Ghz intel core 2 duo in a nine year old MacBook. :cheese:

• zeroghost01zeroghost01 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

This was one of my favorite I did for an album cover with Bryce 3 or 4 I think. I started using Bryce long ago and just got 7, so anxious to do some new stuff and revive my massive files and resources, models and other assets. I was thrilled to see the import list as I worked in 3Dstudio, Lightwave, Carrera and Maya and other 3D applications so have a great library of models, textures and FX to draw on. Whoopee!:coolsmile:

DMCvrSM.jpg
    2000 x 642 - 184K
  • zeroghost01zeroghost01 Posts: 7
    edited June 2015

Here is another project I did around 1999 for an interactive backdrop that had a repeating panorama for a contract never gone to web, but did several versions with gold metal, stone and mountains in the back that looked like Bunt Cake with frosting. Still I really enjoyed the old Bryce and am looking for the original file to see what I can do to improve it.

SilverPillars1.jpg
    2000 x 615 - 106K
    Post edited by zeroghost01 on
    edited December 1969

@vivien1 - beautiful image from Mandelbulb images. As for seamless images, I have a video hosted on David's YouTube channel and a transcript of it on my website. Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo - scroll down to More Videos and there is number 4: Tiling Pictures on a single object. Here's the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHLx336g70. Hope it helps.

@mermaid010 - very nice render, mounds turned out fine and the sky fits the scene.

@Tim - great dragon render.

@Dave - great render, is that Dufus, that green chap? Great pose of the dragon.

@slepalex - thanks for the ideas. We often forget the use of distant lights and rely on the sun (which is also a distant light). I like your idea of splitting up the lighting work to two distant lights.

@zeroghost01 - welcome back to Bryce and to this forum. Cool drum render and the urban panorama with the bridge looks great, too.

edited December 1969

Tim- nice dragon render

Dave- another awesome render

Slepalex – beautiful render

zeroghost01 - welcome to the forum, both renders are nice

Horo- Thanks

My take on Bryce 7.1 Pro - About the ambient shoreline effect for Art Wade - by David Brinnen Thanks David :-)

shorelinefoameffect.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 67K
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Mermaid - Thank you, and glad to hear you like mandelbulb as well. I purchased the TE-Filter Program, havent installed it yet, but thanks for letting us know. And I see you have taken advantage of David's ambient shoreline video. Well done

Tim - Nice render of the dragon

TheSavage - Hard work usually pays off. It certainly did in this case

Zeroghost - Both renders are very nice.

Horo - Thank you very much. Your video for seamless images was very helpful. So this one is dedicated to you. Another mandelbulb /Bryce

pink_mandelbulb.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 192K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Vivien the foam needs more tweaking. I lose track of time when I'm playing with Bryce. Your render is beautiful. Congrats on buying the TE-Filter program, looking forward to seeing your renders.

edited December 1969

Errr.... yet another cloud variation.

FenceSkyALT3.jpg
    2000 x 999 - 842K
    edited June 2015

@mermaid010 - that shore looks great. If you have the water transparent, the shore a bit wider (DTE) and a bit lower, it shines a bit through the water and looks even more realistic.

@vivien1 - what a nice dedication, thank you very much, you're too kind.

@Dave - another great landscape.

Below is a combination of TA and IBL. The box is from David's Bryce Pro HDRI Shadow Capture 2 product, the Toon-Bot Chompers from DAZ 3D. The rest is my HDRI (diameter 6400 pixels, tonemapped) and a 2D-Face with part of the floor as described in David's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ASbkuNq4LA, though I departed from it for the render because I insisted on rendering with natural light. IBL Quality 128, 20% soft IBL shadows, rendered Premium with TA, Boost Light and Soft Shadows as 1600 x 1067 image in 38 minutes in normal priority.

RTR-Exp1.jpg
    900 x 600 - 86K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - that shore looks great. If you have the water transparent, the shore a bit wider (DTE) and a bit lower, it shines a bit through the water and looks even more realistic.

@vivien1 - what a nice dedication, thank you very much, you're too kind.

@Dave - another great landscape.

Below is a combination of TA and IBL. The box is from David's Bryce Pro HDRI Shadow Capture 2 product, the Toon-Bot Chompers from DAZ 3D. The rest is my HDRI (diameter 6400 pixels, tonemapped) and a 2D-Face with part of the floor as described in David's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ASbkuNq4LA, though I departed from it for the render because I insisted on rendering with natural light. IBL Quality 128, 20% soft IBL shadows, rendered Premium with TA, Boost Light and Soft Shadows as 1600 x 1067 image in 38 minutes in normal priority.

Toon-bot number 3 looks to be having fun, or is his programming muddled?

edited December 1969

Horo said:

That looks really great and natural... superb work on the lighting and shadows.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Here is another project I did around 1999 for an interactive backdrop that had a repeating panorama for a contract never gone to web, but did several versions with gold metal, stone and mountains in the back that looked like Bunt Cake with frosting. Still I really enjoyed the old Bryce and am looking for the original file to see what I can do to improve it.

Interesting. Similar story for me but six years later. Here's some examples. I made scores of these, it was educational, but sorry to say, the project did not get off the ground.

Great to see these cloud renders Dave, seeing them in the context of a composed scene really adds a sense of scale.

Also good to see the last video has been helpful. I'm still up to my ears in building work at the moment. The rule is that building jobs always over run by a factor of at least two. So no matter how long you think it is going to take. Consider that figure and then double it. I shall not complain too much though, the weather has been very kind. Being self employed, as anyone who is self employed knows, it is very difficult to turn work down even if your time is already filled. But last Friday I hit saturation point and had to just that. All those videos I have already made are a reminder that often work is very thin on the ground, so I hope I will not come to regret my decision.

Horo, masterful inclusion of the robots in the room full of batteries - now that's what I call a battery backup system!

5.jpg
    1000 x 375 - 533K
    4.jpg
    1000 x 375 - 607K
    3.jpg
    1000 x 375 - 557K
    2.jpg
    1000 x 375 - 546K
    1.jpg
    1000 x 375 - 546K
    edited December 1969

Great to see these cloud renders Dave, seeing them in the context of a composed scene really adds a sense of scale.

Thanks David.
    I'm having a lot of fun and learning quite a bit from playing with these.
    I may even be ready to get on with that little project we emailed about last year soon...

Meanwhile, the same sky as previous but coloured up different.
    Windmill made from a lighthouse. :cheese:

FieldSky2.jpg
    1666 x 832 - 572K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Toon-bot number 3 looks to be having fun, or is his programming muddled?

It's probably running on Windows, which often has some stubborn life of itself. ;-)

@Dave - thank you. Windmill is a bit funny but all the rest is superb.

@David - I remember the first two very well. Very beautiful panoramas. I always wondered what became of them. I'm sorry to hear that the project was a commercial loss.

edited December 1969

Dave - two beautiful landscape renders.

Horo- thanks for the suggestions. Your render is awesome.

David - beautiful panoramans

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Another Bryce echosystem using both xfrog plants and Bryce trees. 4 days to render at 36 rays per pixel. Cloudscape from David Brinnen. Tractor from Daz. Cabanon mix modeled with bryce and wings3d.

Cheers from France.

France.jpg
    1510 x 755 - 1M
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited December 1969

This one's definitely no great shakes, but since it's the first thing I've ever managed to get out of Bryce, I'm disproportionately proud of it anyway :) I love this thread and visit it often, despite being a Studio user almost all of the time. There are some beautiful renders on here. What a talented lot you are :)

Bryce_Island.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
This discussion has been closed.