Starion's WIP and test thread

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

teenage girls in the oasis

Julie with default skin, Julie with EHSS, Mahala default skin.

Oasis_02.jpg
    800 x 600 - 100K
    edited December 1969

why am I still using Daz Studio 3?? Daz Studio 4 can do everything that Studio 3 can do and more. I should try loading the older generation figures into Daz Studio 4 and use advance spotlight to render the transmap hair.

Daz_Studio_3.jpg
    777 x 618 - 191K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

sounds like a plan to me - good luck

edited December 1969

Thanks. I managed to copy some more stuff onto the other computer.

Here is queen Lana in Modern Deco. The light set that came with Modern Deco renders slowly on a dual-core Pentium. I ended up using lighting from Oasis and advanced spotlight. I'll fix the light later.

modern_deco_01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 179K
    edited December 1969

i added a spotlight above the characters. I don't see much difference in the scene. I'll play with the lights some more.

modern_deco_01.jpg
    800 x 542 - 170K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you go to the camera drop down on the viewport then you can look through the spotlight to be sure it is aimed at what you want just like a camera. Also remember to adjust the settings in the parameters for it.

edited March 2014

I don't have access to the other computer yet. I'll check the settings.

I'm on the single-core computer. The advanced spotlights in this scene are a bit bright. I'll play with them later.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the hair is De Roca Hair.

Kid_4.jpg
    936 x 576 - 179K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited March 2014

Update to http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/567272/

The lighting looks about the same. At least the chair on the right isn't dark.

This scene uses 3 GB of memory. Windows 7 allocated 4 GB the last time I checked.

edit: ahh.. I need another spotlight or a distant light. Or maybe I should move the main spotlight.

Shadow samples are set to 16. I should increase it.

modern_deco_01.jpg
    800 x 535 - 142K
    edited December 1969

looking through a spotlight sure looks strange.

i think the spread angle is too narrow.

spotlight.jpg
    905 x 680 - 186K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited March 2014

Actually, the wider the spread angle on the spotlight, the more distorted and "spagettified" the image when looking through the light view.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

the door on the left looks distorted after I changed the spread angle to 100 degrees. I'll render the scene after I eat lunch.

Daz_Studio_4.jpg
    939 x 576 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Well you are looking through a light. Just there for easy setup. Not to render from. I do it all the time, helps lots.

edited December 1969

Daz Studio refuses to render that last scene on 32 bit Windows. I think there is a memory leak. Let me try rendering a simple scene before I reboot the computer.

edited December 1969

this scene renders fine at 936 x 576 pixels. I think 3Delight ran out of memory because was trying to render loaded Dream Home living room and foyer at 936 x 576 pixels. I'm going to render Dream Home living room at a smaller size.

eternal_sands_2.jpg
    936 x 576 - 134K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

How much RAM do you have

edited December 1969

32Bit limits the Amount of RAM that DAZ Studio has to use. Once Win7 and DS4.6 loads your free ram for rendering will be very low. Try the Render to File option, that uses the least ram of all render modes.

edited December 1969

i'm posting this message before i forget. Windows XP 32 bit computer has 2.75 GB of memory. Daz Studio gives memory related errors when Studio uses 1.2 GB. Thanks for the tip Jaderail. I'll try rendering the scene to a file. I don't have regular access to the 64 bit Windows 7 computer.

edited December 1969

Aw, was thinking of a diff user by accident, but some renders that fail to window in 32bit will work to file. It is worth trying.

edited March 2014

I seem to have better luck with Daz Studio 3.1. Ok, I'm going to use the dual-core Windows 7 64 bit computer now.

lighting needs work. lol

eternal_sands_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 127K
    edited December 1969

finally i have decent lighting in classic deco.

This scene uses 2.1 GB. wow. I should copy the millennium cat and dog onto the Windows 7 computer.

modern_deco_02.jpg
    800 x 600 - 145K
    edited March 2014

comment regarding my last few scenes on 32 bit Windows: I think the trees use a lot of memory. I remember having similar issues with DMS Druid Valley: the rocks and trees use a lot of memory too.

edit: I meant trees, not ivy. I was thinking of the scene that comes with Genesis 2 and Daz Studio 4.6.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

One tip-
    Once you find a light setup that works for you, make a light preset, then all you need to do is move the scene and leave the character in place (World Center, where it loads) and your lighting will be off to a good start. If you have Chablis or Jason those two light sets are a good start. I can't remember if it was Helen or Helena that was another good one.

edited December 1969

thanks for the tip. I forgot about saving light presets.

Now I know why the Windows 7 computer swaps to the swap file so often. The integrated graphics chip uses 430 MB of system memory. Eeek.

gpu-z.jpg
    397 x 546 - 69K
    edited December 1969

i finally installed the animals onto the Windows 7 computer. The cat's shadow cast to the left of the cat for some reason. I'll take a look at the lights later.

modern_deco_03.jpg
    800 x 600 - 157K
    edited December 1969

Because your cat is not where you think it is. It is really floating over there in the air. ;-)

edited March 2014

Novica said:
    One tip-
    Once you find a light setup that works for you, make a light preset...

I should copy the light setup from Classic Deco and use it in Easy Environments Winter. The figures don't cast shadows onto the ground. I'll add an advance distant light to see how the scene will look. Here is a remake of an old scene in Daz Studio 4.

Jaderail, I'll check the cat's position later. Thanks.

edit: I think the spread angle of the spotlight is too narrow. I'm so used to working with distant lights.

Laura_polar_bear_01.jpg
    466 x 576 - 71K
    edited December 1969

even when I use the light set that comes with easy environment: winter, I do not see any shadows on the snow. Maybe the lights aren't supposed to cast shadows onto the snow.

Winter_2.jpg
    674 x 576 - 103K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited December 1969

even when I use the light set that comes with easy environment: winter, I do not see any shadows on the snow. Maybe the lights aren't supposed to cast shadows onto the snow.
    I've had similar problems with some renders. The mainissue usually ends up being because of the sky dome used. If it's a "figure" built in as part of the larger "world dome", and not a separate "prop", the sky dome tends to cast a shadow over the whole scene, even when it's set to not do so. The only other cause I find is that most light presets aren't automatically set to cast shadows. You need to go into the Lights tab, select the "main" light source(s), and set Cast shadows to either Deep Shadow Map or Ray Tracing (I always use Ray Traced shadows).
    edited March 2014

Hmmm... odd I used that set for many of my Primitive renders and I got shadows from the default lighting. As noted check to see if the Skybox is set to cast shadows. If it is, no lights like Distance lights will show on the inside of it on the props figures. Think it's only lit by what you have added.

EDIT: The Floating CAT, reason I can tell is all the other shadows are correct only the cat's shadow is off....

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited March 2014

I know what I did wrong: I loaded the skydome but not the ground

Here is the Genesis version on the dual-core Pentium. Daz uses around 1.4 GB. Now I need to practice posing figures.

edit: I need to find a winter coat for Genesis.

Winter_01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 159K