Starion's WIP and test thread

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited February 2014

I finally got a chance to render Dana and Billy in Poser 9.

The background is blurry. I need to determine how to edit the camera settings.

Memory usage:
    880 MB max
    261 MB after firefly finished rendering

Dana_Bobbie.jpg
    640 x 480 - 75K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited February 2014

Here is a similar scene in Daz Studio 3.

Memory usage: 450 MB preview, 630 3Delight

There is a correction on the teen boy's name: Billy is the name of the male character while Bobbie is the name of the female character for Laura 3.

Dana_Billy.jpg
    519 x 610 - 122K
    edited December 1969

Quick test render of sheer greatness.

I forgot to turn on the shadows.

Memory usage: 1.8 GB.

sheer_greatness.jpg
    586 x 600 - 138K
    edited December 1969

I need to download the Poser version/materials of some products. Hopefully I will be able to upload some renders soon.

download_poser.jpg
    457 x 292 - 30K
    edited December 1969

Justin in sheer greatness/tights agai. I'm not sure why the tights look this way.

I had a better scene but Dawn crashed Daz Studio before I had a chance to save the new scene. I'll redo the scene tomorrow.

dawn_justin_lana_2.jpg
    731 x 600 - 229K
    edited December 1969

Dawn did not crash Daz Studio 4 today.

I should add another light.

Memory usage: ~2.1 GB

dawn_justin_lana_4.jpg
    709 x 600 - 230K
    edited February 2014

This render took 35 minutes because I was using the single-core AMD computer.

Memory usage: 660 MB
    Video memory: ~315 MB

The hairs use about half of the memory.

Syltermermaid fashion show

Dana
    http://www.daz3d.com/stars-in-your-eyes-dana-v4

Lianne
    http://www.daz3d.com/lianne-for-v4

Anita
    http://www.daz3d.com/anita-v4

Alex
    http://www.daz3d.com/stars-in-your-eyes-alex-v4

V4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 157K
    edited February 2014

Fantasy/medieval scene that I am working on.

Memory usage: 2.2 GB.

Horse_01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 241K
    edited December 1969

I need more practice lighting indoor scenes.

I also need to find some skins that use Victoria's 5 skin.

Ballroom.jpg
    547 x 576 - 106K
    edited December 1969

I replaced the distant lights with the linear point light. The effect is nice. Unfortunately, I cannot see the wall or the floor.

Ballroom_2.jpg
    547 x 576 - 21K
    edited December 1969

My last render for a little bit. I setup a spot light to see how it lights the scene.

Ballroom_2.jpg
    547 x 576 - 134K
    edited December 1969

Similar scene with uber area light.

I set Justin's tights to not cast shadows.

Memory usage: 2.2 GB.

Ball_room.jpg
    800 x 600 - 221K
    edited December 1969

Ladies' fashion show.

Julie, Bree and Lana

At least I didn't dress Justin in Party Pretty. lol One uber area light is on the left. One distant light is located to the right of the camera.

Memory usage: 2.16 GB

Ball_room_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 230K
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I too need to play with lights and learn how to use them. I appreciate the work you have put into these.

• John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

I replaced the distant lights with the linear point light. The effect is nice. Unfortunately, I cannot see the wall or the floor.

The candle fittings have a strange specularity as if they are appear self illuminated. This is making them show up even though no light is falling on them.

If the candle flames were a light source the wall would be illuminated and the fitting would cast shadows on the wall.

I would kill the specularity first and then work up the lighting from there.

edited December 1969

I reduced the specularity of the candlesticks. I also replaced the spot light with two distant lights just to see how the scene would look. The characters' faces aren't dark any more. Maybe tomorrow I'll try rendering the darken version with the point lights.

Ball_room.jpg
    800 x 600 - 231K
  • John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited February 2014

I reduced the specularity of the candlesticks. I also replaced the spot light with two distant lights just to see how the scene would look. The characters' faces aren't dark any more. Maybe tomorrow I'll try rendering the darken version with the point lights.

The candlestick looks much better now (although you need to do the one on the left as well ;-) ). The spectcularity of the piano stool could also perhaps come down al little (and perhaps even the piano) compared to the floor which has become fairly dark in that area.

Specularity is very frustrating. One of my favourite V4 figures has a strong pink specularity which seemed to make her glow in dark moody scenes. I stopped using her in the end because killing the specularity then made her look washed out.

I love lighting. It has such dramatic effect. It is also really frustrating and particularly because it can take so long in a render before you know if it has worked how you intended.

Unless using Lux the main challenge in DAZ is producing the appearance of reflected light. It has it's parallels in real life though. Many years ago I worked with a photographer doing interiors. It was astonishing how many flash heads had to be distributed to make a room look good. The advantage with DAZ is fill in lights don't need to produce shadows which (in real life) you then have to fill in with another light.

As an example - if lighting a characters head in a dark room with a strong overhead light producing shadow, unless the floor is totally matt black and they are wearing a black top, some light will be reflected upwards filling in the shadow to some extent under their chin etc. If they are on a light coloured shiny floor a great deal more light will be reflected upwards. If that shiny surface has a strong colour the reflected light will also have elements of that colour.

Post edited by John Sims on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

looking good starionwolf. I like the little girl in purple, her whole pose and expression tells me she has attitude...lol :)

edited December 1969

Hi, thanks for the tips and comments.

Here is Julie and Genesis 2 in Luxrender. I forgot to adjust their skin materials.

Julie_Bree_Lux_1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 173K
    edited December 1969

The light is almost the way that I want it. I forgot to adjust the glossyness values for this scene.

Ball_room_3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 175K
    edited December 1969

I need to play with uber area light some more.

The plane on the right is the uber area light plane.

Ball_room_4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 166K
    edited December 1969

Light test

1 distant light set to 20% and raytraced shadows
    1 linear point light

Apologies to Ravenhair and Muscleman

Linear_Point_Light.jpg
    547 x 576 - 82K
    edited December 1969

Out-take: I forgot what kind of light setup I wanted to test.

Uber area light with yellow light
    I wanted to add some other lights but I forgot what lights I wanted to use. Maybe I'll remember tomorrow.

Teegra_2.jpg
    726 x 592 - 149K
    edited February 2014

Now I remembered what I wanted to do.

Here is Teegra with the Advanced Spotlight. I deleted the other lights. The spotlight is pointing towards her hips. Opps. I always forget to either translate spotlights along the Y axis or to rotate them.

Teegra_2.jpg
    547 x 576 - 103K
    edited December 1969

advance spotlight saves me lots of time when I render using the single-core computer

Teegra in hot uniforms schoolgirl. Her chest is too shiny. I need to adjust the glossy settings.

Teegra_3.jpg
    466 x 576 - 96K
    edited December 1969

Since nobody is complaining about the topless renders of Teegra I will continue to post them.

Volumetric camera test with shadow samples set to 8, I think. I'll switch the distant light for a spotlight tomorrow. I haven't seen women wear fishnet stockings in public.

Teegra_3.jpg
    731 x 576 - 209K
    edited December 1969

I switched the distant light for a spotlight and I also edited the volume parameters.

Teegra_4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 139K
    edited February 2014

Liu with a green tint. I forgot to load a new scene after looking with some other skins. Opps. Sorry, I can't show you the rest of the image. lol

Liu_blue.jpg
    203 x 205 - 18K
    edited December 1969

Haley in advance spotlight. She uses Stephanie 5's UV maps.

I'm going to look at some more skins for Genesis 1 that are in my runtime library.

Haley_1_ripples.jpg
    466 x 576 - 40K
    Haley_1_Flashlight.jpg
    466 x 576 - 31K
    edited December 1969

I forgot to adjust the materials for the piano and candles again. I replaced the uber area light with an advanced spotlight.

Ball_room_5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 137K