Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2018
    head wax said:

UB said

You are probably correct.  But that is also easy for you to say, as you understand exactly what it takes to get your hands dirty.  You take it for granted.  I remain utterly clueless how to generate even a simple oil painted-looking texture onto a figure without using a filter.  If I knew how, I would be painting like crazy. 

Let's see ..... if you were going to do an overpaint the best place to start  is with something simple - like a pear. :)

In real life when you paint you start off with a big brush to lay in the image.

Then you gradually reduce the brush size as you hone in on the details.

Thos details are usually the focal point.

You never make the whole painting equally detailed or in focus or highly saturated or highly contrast (well you can if you want :) )

Do you have eg artrage?? Corel Painter? I havent used it much but Artrage seems good. Dart can tell us about Howler.

For an overpaint you can use a few methods.

• Step 1 Take your render, dirty it up with eg Topaz or Fotosketcher -
    •  always work in layers - so make sure your dirtied up layer is on top
    • copy that layer
    • make the first dirtied up layer invisable (you arwe saving it because you will screw up)
    • reduce the opacity of the visable dirty layer so you can see the important details - usually faces, eyes, hands, but still give them a slightly dirty look
    • select all - copy merged, paste a new layer
    • Method 1: if your software can pick up colours underneath then add a new layer and start to paint into it with your chosen brush , picking up the colours underneath
    • just blend ares that still have too much detail , but try and leave brushmarks that indicate the hand of a human was there (the enemy of NPR is too much detail)
    • if you screw up just erase that area and start again
    • don;t be neat, be radical, try and use the least amount of brushstrokes by using the biggest brush possible - bigger than you think will fit into the nooks and crannies
    • once finished take your original render and paste it over the top then reduce the opacity of that layer till you are happy
    • to add a canvas texture - add a new layer - fill it with neutral grey -- copy it and take it into a program like fotosketcher and add a texture to it in the texture section - then paste it back ans set parameter to overlay - fiddle with contrast and levels and opacity till you like the texture
    • you can also add highlughts and darks to your image the same way - add a neutral grey layer, set it overlay, the burn or dodge that layer and bring out your highlights and shadows
    • noses cheecks and ears are pink - seldom seen in 3d renders - so make a new layer set it to colour and paint those colours in with a low opacity - noise that layer up a little then add a gaussian blur and that will give you colour modulation

method 2 is similar but you just paint into a copy of your render then erase when you screw up :)

it's my preffered method

hope this is of interest

PS i subscribe to this guy's paintings he sends an email one  a day (?)  - they demonstrate the beauty of suggesting rather then fully devloping something . Out of interest the psych evidence suiggest that to engage human emotions we should always suggest rather than perfectly outline something (eg the way a  character ina book looks, and especially the evil creature lurking upstairs that you can only see in your imagination)

https://shiftinglight.com/archive.html

You are very helpful as usual, HW.  Thank you very much for taking all that time!  I followed most of it.

Although I appreciate your verbal description, a video tutorial would be worth a thousand words.  HINT :)  Still, I know that you are a busy guy.

Question:  Just before Method 1, you say "select all - copy merged, paste a new layer".  Are you flattening all the layers you have done previously, or is this some sort of combining step?

You asked if I have any paint packages.  Other than PSE and Gimp, nope. 

Right after Method 1, you said " if your software can pick up colours underneath then add a new layer and start to paint into it with your chosen brush , picking up the colours underneath."  Sorry, I don't understand.

The joys of being a rookie. :(

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Ub said

You are very helpful as usual, HW.  Thank you very much for taking all that time!  I followed most of it.

Although I appreciate your verbal description, a video tutorial would be worth a thousand words.  HINT :)  Still, I know that you are a busy guy.

Question:  Just before Method 1, you say "select all - copy merged, paste a new layer".  Are you flattening all the layers you have done previously, or is this some sort of combining step?

You asked if I have any paint packages.  Other than PSE and Gimp, nope. 

Right after Method 1, you said " if your software can pick up colours underneath then add a new layer and start to paint into it with your chosen brush , picking up the colours underneath."  Sorry, I don't understand.

The joys of being a rookie. :(

pleasure we are all learning from each other which is damn handy :) 

• Question:  Just before Method 1, you say "select all - copy merged, paste a new layer".  Are you flattening all the layers you have done previously, or is this some sort of combining step?

Hi sorry, no you just copy everything as it is  so EDIT>Copy Merged  (instead of Edit> Copy which will only copy your selected layer)

So you are not r eally merginging any layers - very confusing.

sorry some software allows you to do this - so if you have a red colour on layer one, then you add a new layer and you paint on this layer with a brush then it will pick up the red colour from the first layer  (if you have 'pick up underlying colour as a parameter)

you could just use the colour sampling dropper I guess to do this but it's not as fast .

I'd do a video tut but currently dont have a microphone sorry :(

edited January 2018

quickie before I cook dinner, thought I'd better try a still life - the composition is a bit weird but I think the method works

it's 4000 wide if you clicken - Topaz Impression was used plus a little handwork using an object pass for selection 

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:

quickie before I cook dinner, thought I'd better try a still life - the composition is a bit weird but I think the method works

it's 4000 wide if you clicken - Topaz Impression was used plus a little handwork using an object pass for selection 

Here on the Daz forums, this is a relative feast for the eyes.  Impressive rather than weird.  Simple but dead-on in painting reproduction style (whatever that means).  I think that very few people who vist the Daz forums can do this quality of work. 

Thanks for your clarifications of the previous post.  I feel like I am getting there an inch at a time.  Thank God I'm not in a hurry, or right now I would be cutting off an ear or something. :)

edited January 2018

Thanks UB! I am glad it was of some help. Running off to Tahiti sounds better than ear cutting!

Here's a go with some flowers - a little plastic and not what I had in mind - but it's all practice i guess.

Topaz Impression and Corel Painter for post work

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Two renders Doneski in Carrara .. postwork was lighting up the drill tank a bit then resizing the renders from 2500px to 800px then adding the lined paper, captions and then flattening the layers in PSE2018

Stezza said:

Two renders Doneski in Carrara .. postwork was lighting up the drill tank a bit then resizing the renders from 2500px to 800px then adding the lined paper, captions and then flattening the layers in PSE2018

that's a scream Stezza, love the style and the humour 

Stezza said:

thanks.. haha

It's UB & Bunyips fault devil

• FP_b647bf2daeFP_b647bf2dae Posts: 38
    edited January 2018

Here is a render processed in Dynamic Auto Painter (Aqua Real preset) with some additional tweaking in DAP Layers tab.

violin_DAP_HALF_Aqua-Real2.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 912K
    Post edited by FP_b647bf2dae on
    Stezza said:

thanks.. haha

It's UB & Bunyips fault devil

crackup once more - Roman cross dressers - you'd think they were happy dressers...

Here is a render processed in Dynamic Auto Painter (Aqua Real preset) with some additional tweaking in DAP Layers tab.

well that's beautiful the effect of light on the face

edited January 2018

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: 1 person

two from me with stuff I learnt from that poser vid - thanks again Kenmo et Tasos Anastasiades.

Carrara render passes (object,shadow, depth, Toon!part111,, coverage, ToonPro, posteffect, diffuse pass)  worked on in Photodonut and Topasz Impression and Nik.

All the render passes are Carrara Native passes except the tooon Pro.

Example of ToonPro render at end. You can achioecve almsot the same lines with Carrara native NPR engine.

head wax said:

Thanks UB! I am glad it was of some help. Running off to Tahiti sounds better than ear cutting!

Here's a go with some flowers - a little plastic and not what I had in mind - but it's all practice i guess.

Another dazzler.  I wonder if in doing this, you think back on your earlier days as an artist, and the still life's that you undoubtedly did as part of your training.  That has to come in handy.

Hey FP_b6, very nice work!  Thanks for posting.  I'm especially glad when someone posts a human example in DAP.  It seems that most artists post landscapes, which are often stunning, but it's nice to see people as well..

Just a head's up, on your original post, you exceeded the requested render width of 800 pixels.  Probably better to follow that rule, to stay out of moderator trouble.  Plus, because it was so wide (1200 pixels), the render looked distorted horizontally.

head wax said:

Another dazzler.  I wonder if in doing this, you think back on your earlier days as an artist, and the still life's that you undoubtedly did as part of your training.  That has to come in handy.

thank you, oh I still paint flowers - they are very meditative to paint, and very approachable for the audience

it's amazing how popular they are - here's a screen grab from my facebook page - cheers!

Untitled-1.jpg
    1069 x 1219 - 1M
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Andrew, you have a good sense of color, your color combinations cheer up.

Vyusur said:

Andrew, you have a good sense of color, your color combinations cheer up.

thankyou Veronica :) a famous painter once told me my work was too colourful - I thought he painted like mud - but I held my tongue :) :)

coupla dogs, the shadows are shadow pass on a plane - the houses added later - topaz impression and buzzim plus photodonut and filter forge and Fotosketcher used in post

nothing like having a choice!

Image may contain: dog

head wax said:

thank you, oh I still paint flowers - they are very meditative to paint, and very approachable for the audience

it's amazing how popular they are - here's a screen grab from my facebook page - cheers!

Duh!  I should have figured.  Why would you stop painting flowers?  Your flowers and buildings look terrific.

head wax said:

a famous painter once told me my work was too colourful - I thought he painted like mud - but I held my tongue :) :)

Really good work.  Love those strong colors.  I've noticed in your posts that you are pretty good at holding your tongue as well. :)  Something we could all wish to be better at.

head wax said:

Duh!  I should have figured.  Why would you stop painting flowers?  Your flowers and buildings look terrific.

head wax said:

a famous painter once told me my work was too colourful - I thought he painted like mud - but I held my tongue :) :)

Really good work.  Love those strong colors.  I've noticed in your posts that you are pretty good at holding your tongue as well. :)  Something we could all wish to be better at.

ha ha thanks, yes I've had planty of arguments on the net - it never wins friends even when you win!

edited January 2018

today's digital engraving - with photodonut and filter forge plus an assortment of Carrara render passes.

plus another version

hair by carrara.

you can render out hair passes (volume primitive I think) - you gete a light and a dark one and you can add those to your diffuse layer with different parameters eg screen and multiply, then bring in your shadow layer as well and put it on top

edited January 2018

another Carrara one with that engraving technique - combo of photodonut and FilterForge plus native Carrara renders

the second one uses Carrara's native toon!pro111 as the base combined with a little mix of a diffuse pass, a coverage pass and a shadow pass

plus topaz buzzsim custom filter to clean it up

head wax said:

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: 1 person

two from me with stuff I learnt from that poser vid - thanks again Kenmo et Tasos Anastasiades.

Carrara render passes (object,shadow, depth, Toon!part111,, coverage, ToonPro, posteffect, diffuse pass)  worked on in Photodonut and Topasz Impression and Nik.

All the render passes are Carrara Native passes except the tooon Pro.

Example of ToonPro render at end. You can achioecve almsot the same lines with Carrara native NPR engine.

I like this... brings back memories like you mention elsewhere of high school tech drawing days and lugging around the drawing board all day!

is that jeep from Daz or that new free one at ShareCG?

edited January 2018

thanks Stezza, :) Ah it was froma runout model I bought somewhere about d - day landings - low res soldiers come with it, low res frendh houses and trains and a beach - 

there's something wrong with the figures - not sure what but when you try to save a file with them in it then re-open the car file it gives an end of line error...

works fine in poser though...

edit found this from o ne of our challenges - it shows some of the set 

aaajeep-1.jpg
    2469 x 1309 - 675K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

HeadWax - excellent work, you've pumped out quite a few beauties on this page - the colour gun slinger is my favourite on this page.

Stezza - you are getting plenty of mileage out of that Drill Tank - "Run for your life!" is great.

FP_b647bf2dae - superb portrait, please keep them coming.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    head wax said:

thanks Stezza, :) Ah it was froma runout model I bought somewhere about d - day landings - low res soldiers come with it, low res frendh houses and trains and a beach - 

there's something wrong with the figures - not sure what but when you try to save a file with them in it then re-open the car file it gives an end of line error...

Eagle One and Eagle Two by thunderr, use to be available over at Rendo, no sign of it now.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@Headwax - this entire series of renders just blow me away.  The still lifes, Frederick Newton, the engraving, and the WWII sketches are all top notch in different styles.  Very inspirational.

@FP_b647bf2dae - wonderful mood, I can hear the violin comin through.

​@Stezza - sketches crack me up.  Morpheus strikes again! 

Bunyip02 said:

HeadWax - excellent work, you've pumped out quite a few beauties on this page - the colour gun slinger is my favourite on this page.

thanks for that, yes I liked the coloured one too - I'm looking for a style to start another book (wordless) so thanks for that feedback

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Eagle One and Eagle Two by thunderr, use to be available over at Rendo, no sign of it now.

thanks again ah they had an Eagle Two... was that another wwii one?

Diomede said:

@Headwax - this entire series of renders just blow me away.  The still lifes, Frederick Newton, the engraving, and the WWII sketches are all top notch in different styles.  Very inspirational.

thanks Diomede :) I accidentally discovered (via that Poser video I posted) you can layer photoshop styles in the Artistic menu and that makes a difference for quick experimenting.

Trouble is deciding on a style.....! Not all styles will suite all subject matter .... which is a problem with a series of (story) images that contain different things ...

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

thanks for that, yes I liked the coloured one too - I'm looking for a style to start another book (wordless) so thanks for that feedback

+1.  The colored one is perfect for a book.

head wax said:

Bunyip02 said:

I looked it up.  It looks like you have Eagle Two.  Eagle One had a beach setting with landing craft.

Kudos to Bunyip for figuring out the original model.yes

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

+1.  The colored one is perfect for a book.

head wax said:

Bunyip02 said:

I looked it up.  It looks like you have Eagle Two.  Eagle One had a beach setting with landing craft.

Kudos to Bunyip for figuring out the original model.yes

thanks Ub, ah I was googling eagle 1 - not one !! Thanks for finding that :) and thanks for the feedback!

Eagle 20.............................. fox 2

Looking for a flat mate.....

This discussion has been closed.