Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Yeah... it's magical!

head wax said:

A quickie?  That is insane!!  It looks like Fluidos is going to break even more boundaries in Carrara than expected.

Truly amazing work, HW.

Edit - it is so good, I don't even want to ask the details right now.  It will spoil the magic.

A quickie?  That is insane!!  It looks like Fluidos is going to break even more boundaries in Carrara than expected.

Truly amazing work, HW.

Edit - it is so good, I don't even want to ask the details right now.  It will spoil the magic.

Yeah... I'm stuck gazing at this thing as well. Love the gold... looks freaking fantastique!

- keep that to yourself!

Me lips is sealed!!!! indecision

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Morpheus gone to the dogs

thank you Bunyip02!!

I was unfortunate last night to see this one just before dropping off - I'm sure it gavce me nightmares!! That's always a good sign of a good work :)

It's scary as.!

Was a Werewolf caricature using Morpheus with a few other morphs thrown in.

head wax said:

quickie with Fluidos plugin 

For a quickie thats awesome !!!!

edited January 2018

Reptile man

Gecko man 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks Bunyip02' ! Reptile man I thought he had a walking stick, great characterisation !  Backyard barbie ! 

Cool stuff bunyip02!

I tried checking it out last night but the images wouldn't load. See 'em now!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2018
    head wax said:

Truly amazing work, HW.

Truly amazing work, HW.

Yeah... I'm stuck gazing at this thing as well. Love the gold... looks freaking fantastique!

ha ha thanks to you both

it's a plain jane Vicki with gold texture wacked on her plus a carrara sky and I dumped a bucket of water on her head :) - keep that to yourself!

camera at 1round 150 mill helps

love the reflection in her eyes and the armour plated eylashes - all accidental

Ya...ya mean...it was just a guy......behind a ...curtain........all along?

:)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    cdordoni said:

There must be something like DAP for video, that can maintain the continuity of the brush strokes from frame to frame ... I haven't done any searching though. Not only would it have to track the brush strokes with the motion, it would have to be able add detail when getting closer, like fractal noise.

Are you into this kind of thing? I'm still very new to Howler in my opinion. Yes, I've been practicing for a few years now, but not in this particular direction. I know they're not making anyhting new, but when I bought Howler I also got a nice plugin from AnyFX, which is fully animatable. It's what I've used to make my rain motions in previous years, but it also has a lot we can do with other things, like colors and blurs.

I love the idea you're talking about and wonder if AnyFX makes something like that for other software. Dan Ritchie is an amazing animator and VFX artist. I'll have to run these ideas past him to see if he has ideas about how to do this stuff with his Howler or even something else.

Guess I missed this, sorry Dart

I don't do any animation or video work so my interest is academic ... the brushstrokes convey a feeling, like color, or lighting, so I could envision them being used in the same way. I did just a quick search, and there are a few plugins/ filters that apply brushstrokes to moving video (at least in the prosumer market), but the strokes are different on each frame so the result is agitated. I can imagine something that is potentially more stable, if the strokes track with the objects/surfaces as they move past the camera, or becoming larger or smaller with the distance from the camera.

interesting style https://youtu.be/47h6pQ6StCk

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:

Yes, that's like what I was thinking of ... crafted by human hands in this case.

When I was stitching together the three videos plus the renders for the Fluidos video in Sony (now by Magix) Vegas, I noticed in passing that I have some artistic styles filter installed - I think I have some in Corel Video Studio Pro as well, by either Boris, NewBlue, or both. I'll have to give them a play.

head wax said:

Fantastique!!!

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Amazing....Here's a behind the scenes.

Wow. Absolutely stunning!

McGuiver said:

Amazing....Here's a behind the scenes.

that's terrific, thanks for sharing McGuiver

Via Kenmo in other forum this video is worth watching - it;s poser but can be adapted I think

start at about 30 min mark if you are easily bored :)

edited January 2018

Decided to get better acquainted with making outlines in Carrara.  It seem that over in the Art Studio NPR thread, they view making good outlines as the holy grail.  After playing with Toon! 3, I'm wondering if it is underrated.  I know that Toon pro is supposed to be better (more control).  But I'm impressed with the one in Carrara already.  Looking for more feedback on the subject.

Taking Girl 3 out for a toon walk.  One distant light (for shadows) + ambient + gamma.

NPR original Girl 3 in green.png
    1000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited January 2018

one sexy Toon walk too.

Yep  Toon! 3 is underrated for sure. Since discovering you can expand that little window in the assembly room it's been a lot more usable.

I think the holy grail in the Art Studio NPR thread is lost on a few people in that it's different thickness of out-lines that are important.

It adds that hand made touch but also can suggest depth and roundness, also lost and found edges are important.

So making different line widths and erasing parts by hand could lead in that direction.

Great render you made. You could try rendering the girl and the background our seperately and then combing in post, that way you could make the background less busy if you wanted.

Glad you bought this up thank you.

Post edited by Headwax on

Thanks HW.  I get the general idea of line thickness, and how to address it in post.  But I'm curious what can be done in Carrara all by itself, so I think that i will stick with no postwork for a while and see what is possible.  I keep seeing what others are doing in the Art Studio thread - the girations they are going through - and I keep wondering if it can be done easier (and better) in Carrara.

As for the background, I went with it because I wanted it to be busy. :)  No accounting for my taste, I'm sure.

edited January 2018

Thanks HW.  I get the general idea of line thickness, and how to address it in post.  But I'm curious what can be done in Carrara all by itself, so I think that i will stick with no postwork for a while and see what is possible.  I keep seeing what others are doing in the Art Studio thread - the girations they are going through - and I keep wondering if it can be done easier (and better) in Carrara.

As for the background, I went with it because I wanted it to be busy. :)  No accounting for my taste, I'm sure.

ah yes without different tast we would all have Donald Trump's hair....

the first post in that artstudio thread as about a close anyone has come to I reckon :) keep that quite tho.

but seriously, I've been mucking around for a while and I think you always need to get your hands 'dirty' at some point

for me the really unexplored one is the UV pass that can be used to replace textures on a 3d object but in 2d - I don;t have the software for it

edited January 2018

Will (Oso3d) posted this over in the Art Studio thread.  It was one of his examples of doing an outlined model in IRAY (which I guess is pretty hard and/or takes a while to render).  His process involves rendering out 3 separate passes and combining them afterwords (in post I assume).

I liked his render very much, and wondered how hard it would be to replicate a similar outlined look in Carrara.  Since I had the same model - the Drill Tank - I gave it a shot.  My render has only two lights plus ambient, and renders in two or three minutes.

It looks to me that Carrara holds up pretty well.  I went with a darker look, but did an earlier version which was fully lit, and it looked very similar in lighting to Will's render.

Will in Daz forum example of new lineart product for Iray.jpg
    1404 x 1080 - 378K
    NPR Drill Tank and The Girl 3.png
    1610 x 930 - 2M

Will (Oso3d) posted this over in the Art Studio thread.  It is an example of doing an outlined model in IRAY (which I guess is pretty hard and/or takes a while to render).  His process involves rendering out 3 separate passes and combining them afterwords (in post I assume).

I liked his render very much, and wondered how hard it would be to replicate a similar outlined look in Carrara.  Since I had the same model - the Drill Tank - I gave it a shot.  My render has only two lights plus ambient, and renders in two or three minutes.

well I like yours much better - to me the other is a little clean -

yes Iray takes ages, I feel sorry for studio uses,  I have a studio plugin for rendering outlines and stuff but it's a bit of  a fail as far as ease of use

etc

lighting for what we want can be reasonably simple - and that makes life a lot easier - te quicker you can render the more mistakes you make,

the more mistakes you make, the better you get. Ergo quicker renders make better rendererers :) (I always wanted to use 'ergo' in a sentence)

have you seen the battelground that is this thread ? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/compositing-and-post-work-what-is-it-and-why-should-i-care/p7

lots of tidbits

HW, I'm like you, I like to do a lot of renders when creating an image.  I used to really like 3delight in DS, as it was pretty quick.  I tried IRAY, and it destroyed how I work.

I've read some of the compositing thread, and probably need to read it all at some point.  But it is hard to stomach JoeMamma for more than a couple of posts. :)

edited January 2018

yes JM being a genuis had it's downsides

here's a play with a zillion edits in post, I u sed some of the stuff I learnt in  that poser video I posted - I didn't realise you could stack artistic filters in photoshop inside the filter window

toonprolinesize10fulldepthcuing.jpg
    1855 x 2000 - 1M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Get your drill tanks out!

Stezza said:

heh heh nice and dirty -  I like  it

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited January 2018

can't have too many drill tanks....

upped the ambient to 400 with no lights

drill tank2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 144K
    Post edited by Stezza on

what happens at ambient 9000 out of interest :)

Stezza said:

Don't have this one, will have to improvise.

edited January 2018

Drill tank Mk.II

Drill Tank 1-Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
This discussion has been closed.