Another Alien critter.

Alien 5b_DAP_Aqua-Real 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks Bunyip02, PhilW et Diomede :")

edited January 2018

Thanks HW and Stezza!  It's still not quite what I want.  It's a comic book "style in progress", rather than a WIP.

Sorry I haven't been praising much lately.  I've kind of run out of superlatives.  Really nice work here you all have posted in the past few days.

Stezza, your dog is a very cool creation.  Thank you again for sharing it.  I don't have the boned version yet.  I can see this ending up as a Carrara staple, especially in toon renders.

And possibly in old oil paintings. :)

\\

wow this is a superb piece congrats!

Bunyip02 said:

Off with the Fairies again.

Karyssa 8 using Misty's G8F Carrara Beta. Combination of Topaz Impression & DAP.

also this one, very painterly, lots of glow! 

Diomede said:

Bunyip - long live black ninja crow's cute sidekick!  very expressive

Here is a GMIC filter Pen for another test cover.

samecover, filter forge cartoon

greetiongs Diomede, the first is my favourite, that's a classic cover! you have the style all worked out ! could be the cob=ver of  a 50's novel.

Bunyip02 said:

Another Alien render.

Is Misty's G8F Carrara Beta with a heap of morphs dialed in.

Used Sloshwerks Genesis 8 UV Swap to convert RawArts Cat World for Genesis 8 Male(s) Cheetah skin to G8F.

There were some stretching issues on the joins between the legs and torso which I used the clone brush in PaintShopPro to fix.

Also used TangoAlphas excellent MV Stella Crew Deck - love his little dedication to Cripeman !!!!!

terrific effect on the background

Here is one portrait I just quickly put together and then used Cezanne preset in Dynamic Auto Painter with some tweaking - used more soft reveal on the face itself than the surrounding in the Retouch panel. The exact steps were: during Dry reveal, I paused with right mouse, then moved the dry reveal strength slider to maybe 20% or so, so mostly the rough underpaint showed, then after details were finished, went to retouch panel and with soft brush put the Soft Reveal back to face. Adjusted the outline to a thin pencil and that's mostly it.

Here the same using GoghHD, however, during detail painting I used Forced Auto Brush and helped to bring out the edges and features of the portrait otherwise they would be too "random".

the Cezzanne is beautiful

Bunyip02 said:

Another Alien critter.

alien works really well in this one - it has good appearence of roundness and goes with the background stylistically - what method did you use pray tell? :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited January 2018

. This is the Helmeted Bird out of one of Bosch's works - The Garden of Earthly Delights.

He appears in my homage to another work by Bosch - Removing the Stone of Madness which will be soon hanging at Maitland Regional Art Gallery (NSW, Australia). 

Opens Feb 3rd 2018 and goes to April 29th. Of course I'd love it if you came to the show :) MRAG website is here.

you'll find him bottom right on the right panel of this triptych https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    head wax said:

Thanks HW and Stezza!  It's still not quite what I want.  It's a comic book "style in progress", rather than a WIP.

Sorry I haven't been praising much lately.  I've kind of run out of superlatives.  Really nice work here you all have posted in the past few days.

Stezza, your dog is a very cool creation.  Thank you again for sharing it.  I don't have the boned version yet.  I can see this ending up as a Carrara staple, especially in toon renders.

And possibly in old oil paintings. :)

\\

wow this is a superb piece congrats!

Bunyip02 said:

Off with the Fairies again.

Karyssa 8 using Misty's G8F Carrara Beta. Combination of Topaz Impression & DAP.

also this one, very painterly, lots of glow! 

Diomede said:

Bunyip - long live black ninja crow's cute sidekick!  very expressive

Here is a GMIC filter Pen for another test cover.

samecover, filter forge cartoon

greetiongs Diomede, the first is my favourite, that's a classic cover! you have the style all worked out ! could be the cob=ver of  a 50's novel.

Bunyip02 said:

Another Alien render.

Is Misty's G8F Carrara Beta with a heap of morphs dialed in.

Used Sloshwerks Genesis 8 UV Swap to convert RawArts Cat World for Genesis 8 Male(s) Cheetah skin to G8F.

There were some stretching issues on the joins between the legs and torso which I used the clone brush in PaintShopPro to fix.

Also used TangoAlphas excellent MV Stella Crew Deck - love his little dedication to Cripeman !!!!!

terrific effect on the background

Here is one portrait I just quickly put together and then used Cezanne preset in Dynamic Auto Painter with some tweaking - used more soft reveal on the face itself than the surrounding in the Retouch panel. The exact steps were: during Dry reveal, I paused with right mouse, then moved the dry reveal strength slider to maybe 20% or so, so mostly the rough underpaint showed, then after details were finished, went to retouch panel and with soft brush put the Soft Reveal back to face. Adjusted the outline to a thin pencil and that's mostly it.

Here the same using GoghHD, however, during detail painting I used Forced Auto Brush and helped to bring out the edges and features of the portrait otherwise they would be too "random".

the Cezzanne is beautiful

Bunyip02 said:

Another Alien critter.

alien works really well in this one - it has good appearence of roundness and goes with the background stylistically - what method did you use pray tell? :)

Thanks Headwax. Method used for the last one was Dynamic Auto Painter using the Aqua-Real filter, also adjusted some more of the additional settings with the Aqua-Real filter.

head wax said:

. This is the Helmeted Bird out of one of Bosch's works - The Garden of Earthly Delights.

He appears in my homage to another work by Bosch - Removing the Stone of Madness which will be soon hanging at Maitland Regional Art Gallery (NSW, Australia). 

Opens Feb 3rd 2018 and goes to April 29th. Of course I'd love it if you came to the show :) MRAG website is here.

you'll find him bottom right on the right panel of this triptych https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

And I thought some of my morph dialing was a little crazy !!!!!

Very nice version, again the colour variant catches my eyes.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited January 2018

wow crazy stuff going on......

love it yes

Wokadeema.jpg
    800 x 600 - 662K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Thanks Headwax. Method used for the last one was Dynamic Auto Painter using the Aqua-Real filter, also adjusted some more of the additional settings with the Aqua-Real filter.

Pleasure Bunyip02, thanks for the headsup on DAP 

And I thought some of my morph dialing was a little crazy !!!!!

Very nice version, again the colour variant catches my eyes.

thanks again Bunyip02, nice to have feedback. !

Stezza said:

love it yes

Stezza, now that's one scary creature - the hair around the mouth - gruesome :)

edited January 2018

Here's one I did the other day -  m4 holding an imaginary baby.... as you do.

I rendered out a normal map (attached) of the scene then used that  as a black and white base for the image

then rendered out a shadow pass and combined that with the diffuse pass and a few different toonpro renders to get the line work

manholdingimaginarybaby.jpg
    1200 x 1400 - 986K
    normal.jpg
    1200 x 1400 - 260K
    edited January 2018

nice stuff

not sure if this will work

the first render is Dartanbeck's badlands product via Carrara in three d Spherical - if you click the link it gives you a VR image - it takes a while to come to full res

http://2vr.in/V-1F3O

hmm link won't work :(

Great set thanks Dart

Sparse-Haven-The-Myst-(Slower).jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 4M
    Stezza said:

love it yes

Thats a nice critter Stezza !!!!

head wax said:

Here's one I did the other day -  m4 holding an imaginary baby.... as you do.

I rendered out a normal map (attached) of the scene then used that  as a black and white base for the image

then rendered out a shadow pass and combined that with the diffuse pass and a few different toonpro renders to get the line work

Love your work methods !!!!

head wax said:

nice stuff

not sure if this will work

the first render is Dartanbeck's badlands product via Carrara in three d Spherical - if you click the link it gives you a VR image - it takes a while to come to full res

http://2vr.in/V-1F3O

hmm link won't work :(

Great set thanks Dart

Dart's Badlands rocks (as does all his work), nice renders btw !!!!!

thanks Bunyip02 :) this is what I was trying to post yesterday a virtual 3d render of that bad lands NPR

http://2vr.in/V-1FVN

have to wait a minute while the correct resolution gets reached

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

HW - that works really well - and great render of a great set!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

HW - wonderful job creating a 360 NPR image of badlands.  I love that set.  More often kitbashing pieces than using the whole set, but I had never thought to make a 360 NPR.  Do you then apply an NPR render with the 360 in the background?  Would the background get a double NPR?

Thanks for giving me a lot to ponder and experiment with.

edited January 2018

In the fighting pits of Vikbria, the Earthman Darsel decks Brash.

darsel punches brash.jpg
    800 x 1120 - 74K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

HW - wonderful job creating a 360 NPR image of badlands.  I love that set.  More often kitbashing pieces than using the whole set, but I had never thought to make a 360 NPR.  Do you then apply an NPR render with the 360 in the background?  Would the background get a double NPR?

Was that an NPR image, or was it a low-res PR image?   Whatever the label, it looked very cool!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

Ah, very nice.  Good to see a couple of guys warming up for the next Challenge.

PhilW said:

HW - that works really well - and great render of a great set!

thanks PhilW - yes Dart is the goods :)

Diomede said:

thanks Diomede :) I just rendered out spherical camera shot and did the same type of render passes as per usual - then worked them up in Topaz and Filter Forge and Waterlogue . Also used the photoshop art filters stacked that I learnt about in that poser video I posted a while back. Just a little of each. Then I uploadede the result to that 3d viewere website. The stacked filters work very well! The only difference was the toon!Pro render was crammed together along the horisontal meridian and didn't fit with the others - maybe if I stretched it out it would?

looking forward to seeing what you make!!

Diomede said:

Was that an NPR image, or was it a low-res PR image?   Whatever the label, it looked very cool!

thanks UB it's a spherical PR render worked up in the same way as usual :)  3000 by 1500 pixels approx

Diomede said:

Ah, very nice.  Good to see a couple of guys warming up for the next Challenge.

wonderful Diomede, its terrific seeing how Brash has come along. ! Now the adventure begins!!!

@Ub looking forward to seeing what the challenge may bring :) hopefully we can lure some studio users from their npr thread when they see what carrara can do (I ave been bashing their ears for a while :) )

Thanks for the comments, UB and HW.  For NPR images, I really do feel that the Carrara-rigged Brash figure can hold its own.  Now  just need to fine tune the Moxie figure a little more.

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments, UB and HW.  For NPR images, I really do feel that the Carrara-rigged Brash figure can hold its own.  Now  just need to fine tune the Moxie figure a little more.

looking forward to it :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

oh no!................ could Brash be down for the count! surprise

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2018

The first image is Carrara NPR, the second one is Carrara native render and FotoScetcher post work.

Doc24.jpg
    1300 x 900 - 811K
    Dragon_moon01.jpg
    1300 x 900 - 745K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited January 2018

Dragons! Excellent.   Love it when renders don't look like computer output.  

Although I like the way Carrara NPR builds images through brushstrokes, it does have some disadvantages.  I think there is a patch of reversed normals (blank white) where the underside of the left wing is visible in the top image.  

You've really mastered the different features and render engines of Carrara quickly.  I am so jealous.

Post edited by Diomede on

Stezza said:

oh no!................ could Brash be down for the count! surprise

Don't worry, Brash always perseveres.  yes

Thank you a lot, Diomede. Yes, I also think that the reason of blank areas is the normals. But I don't know if it's possible to use double sided normals in Carrara.

Your Brash rocks! Why don't you want to rig him in DS for more wide usage?

edited February 2018
    Vyusur said:

The first image is Carrara NPR, the second one is Carrara native render and FotoScetcher post work.

very nice once more Veronica - really like the fotosketcher one -!

Andrew, thank you very much!

This discussion has been closed.