Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

I was struggling with this idea for some time. As I said in my above post, I didn't think that DAP would work. It claims to paint unique strokes every time, so that the same image run using the same process would never produce the same result twice.

That might still be fine, though - depending upon the desired result. I wanted more of a "Painting in Motion" sort of look, so that sort of individualism between one frame and the next wouldn't be what I was looking for.

There must be something like DAP for video, that can maintain the continuity of the brush strokes from frame to frame ... I haven't done any searching though. Not only would it have to track the brush strokes with the motion, it would have to be able add detail when getting closer, like fractal noise.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    head wax said:
    this is a Carrara job that I painted in the Renaissance method of  Verdaccio with glazing over the underpainting

Looks fascinating!  I assume it is from an earlier show?

You are super-talented.  Best of luck in this one!

Hey thanks I am having a misspent adulthood - instead of making money I like to play :)

this is from an earlier show entitled "Nightmares". I learnt alot with this, I used fancy linen when I should have used flat board!! ah well , live and learn :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

don't we all.... smiley

Some 3d doodling in Carrara whilst waiting for the Hivewire Dog

Everything in the image I modeled in Carrara... ps.. don't let dogs eat chocolate easter eggs!
    post in PSE2018

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip, Andrew, UnifiedBrain, Dart, thank you for your kind words.

Andrew, the overall composition of your painting reminds me of Bosch. Good luck with your exhibition activity!

Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

Everything in the image I modeled in Carrara... ps.. don't let dogs eat chocolate easter eggs!
    post in PSE2018

that's superb Stezza, you could get a job in Children's Television :)

Vyusur said:

Bunyip, Andrew, UnifiedBrain, Dart, thank you for your kind words.

Andrew, the overall composition of your painting reminds me of Bosch. Good luck with your exhibition activity!

Thanks! Always happy to be compared with Bosch :) It was heavily influenced by my memories of the back wall of the Cathedral at Albi https://europeupclose.com/article/the-glorious-cathedral-of-st-cecilia-in-albi-france/

I see the artists who made it were contemporaries of Bosch 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

HW - awesome dog!  The others in the exhibit were fun as well. 

Vyusur - terrific watercolor.  Why are you scewing around with this inferior Carrara digital stuff? smiley

Bunyip - that was an amazing ... something!  I guess that I would call it "abstract."  Whatever the label, I LOVED it.  The pure aesthetic of it really hit my sweet spot.

Thanks UB

head wax said:

thanks @PhilW @UnifiedBrain  et @Bunyip02

@Bunyip02  killer render, the DAP looks like I should have grabbed it ! - I was feeling a little poor especially with the Ozzie Dollar....

Thanks Headwax

Nice painting Vyusur!!! 

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax - like both the Umbilical Brothers and the dog !!!

Vyusur - very nice work.

Another alien render from me. Using the Killer Bug and Planet Gilse. Post-work by Dynamic Auto-Painter PRO-5 using the Aqua-Real filter.

Fricken Awesome!!! Glad you're liking DAP!!! Yeah... it just left a sour taste when I bought a pack of software that included DAP, but the author decided to not honor license codes to buyers of that bundle anymore. But I also got a feeling that, since it actually paints each image - so the same image wouldn't really come out the same way twice (from what I understand), it likely wouldn't work so great for animation work.

Your painting looks fantastic! that bug is really cool and I love the landscape!

Thanks Dart

Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Another alien render from me. Using the Killer Bug and Planet Gilse. Post-work by Dynamic Auto-Painter PRO-5 using the Aqua-Real filter.

like everyone has already posted....

this is awesome - really cool yes

Headwax does anything ever happen out at Maitland?..... good luck with your exhibition.. smiley

Thanks Stezza

head wax said:

My baby sister is an AMAZING artist - any medium - and she is incredible at a subtractive style of painting, where she applied the underlying hues over the prominent ones, then scrapes them away so that the prominent colors come back to the foreground. Really cool results.

So. you'd use a Light Box to project the image onto paper so you could trace shapes by hand, or what did you mean by that?

Dart, sounds like a great way to work - funnily I work on dark backgrounds and that means the image is already there, you just have to tease it out :)

Light box - yep I print out a coverage or toon pro pass on a few a4's which I stick together - I also might do a shadow pass and a diffuse pass. But once the linework is on the paper I abandon the light box - I could just as eaily grid itr up or draw it freehand but with this method I can be as loose as I like with water colour and not be afraid of mucking it up, because the amount of lost working time is minimal.

Another example of this is Blind Spot - which is presently hung in this year's Dog Show -

No automatic alt text available. 

this is a Carrara job that I painted in the Renaissance method of  Verdaccio with glazing over the underpainting

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Nice work Headwax !!!!

Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

post in PSE2018

Excellent doodles Stezza, especially like your dog !!!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Bunyip02 said:

Bunyip, beautiful image. It remind me of the book illustrations from my childhood. I also tried auto painter but didn't get such impressive result.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

post in PSE2018

Me too! Here he's anxiously awaiting the release of a dog figure, and he makes this one that's so absolutely awesome!!! Bravo!

edited January 2018
    cdordoni said:

I was struggling with this idea for some time. As I said in my above post, I didn't think that DAP would work. It claims to paint unique strokes every time, so that the same image run using the same process would never produce the same result twice.

That might still be fine, though - depending upon the desired result. I wanted more of a "Painting in Motion" sort of look, so that sort of individualism between one frame and the next wouldn't be what I was looking for.

There must be something like DAP for video, that can maintain the continuity of the brush strokes from frame to frame ... I haven't done any searching though. Not only would it have to track the brush strokes with the motion, it would have to be able add detail when getting closer, like fractal noise.

Are you into this kind of thing? I'm still very new to Howler in my opinion. Yes, I've been practicing for a few years now, but not in this particular direction. I know they're not making anyhting new, but when I bought Howler I also got a nice plugin from AnyFX, which is fully animatable. It's what I've used to make my rain motions in previous years, but it also has a lot we can do with other things, like colors and blurs.

Howler, itself, has a LOT of animation features built into it, and he'a constantly either adding new stuff or tweaking what's in there or both. He's recently (Howler 11, I believe?) added some really cool new feature to the Rotoscope functions of the curve tool - as well as a lot more stuff. I wish I had enough time to experiment this stuff fully.

Using Howler, Fusion, AE, HitFilm, etc., we could build a process to achieve various things - I bet paint strokes too. I'm still not fully aware of what all of the different multipass elements would do for this. Velocity? Is that only visible when physics are used? In Howler I can use a multipass video recording as a selection and/or a controling animation for effects, filters, whatever I want to apply to the other animation.

I haven't actually searched something like this either - only dabbling with stuff in Howler. HitFilm has a lot of really cool functions as well - and I only have the free version. 

Fusion is kind of endless. Again, I only have the free version, so my resolutions are limited and I cannot use plugins. But the resolution limit is within the range I like to work.

I think you've seen this already. It was an unsuccessful attempt, except that it gave the wonderful experience of playing with the tools - so I look forward to my next attempt at this. The plan would be to use brush strokes on the textures of all 3D elements and then also use some artistic filters, generators, etc, to further the effect. Of course still just an experimental thought.

I love the idea you're talking about and wonder if AnyFX makes something like that for other software. Dan Ritchie is an amazing animator and VFX artist. I'll have to run these ideas past him to see if he has ideas about how to do this stuff with his Howler or even something else.

PaintedTexturesSampleX.jpg
    1346 x 705 - 782K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    Vyusur said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bunyip, beautiful image. It remind me of the book illustrations from my childhood. I also tried auto painter but didn't get such impressive result.

Thanks Vyusur

thank you Bunyip02, happy weekend :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2018

A little different version of the Fire Cave.  PSE 2018 is lots of fun!

Astounding Fire Cave Issue.png
    1000 x 1444 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Awesome, UB!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited January 2018
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

post in PSE2018

Me too! Here he's anxiously awaiting the release of a dog figure, and he makes this one that's so absolutely awesome!!! Bravo!

I modeled the dog last week added a couple of morphs but I admit it... I'm a total waste when it comes to rigging..

So here is the dog for you to play with... rig it if you can.. remodel him if you like, add more morphs or just abandon him to a forgotten folder on your PC..

whatever you do just repost the amended dog here to share with everyone. Fleas not included... but can be devil

zip
    zip
    The Dog.zip
    Dog.jpg
    800 x 600 - 589K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Very generous, Stezza, thanks!  Not worried about the fleas.  I've already got your fly flea sprayer, just in case. :)

Looking good UB !!!

Very generous, Stezza, thanks!  Not worried about the fleas.  I've already got your fly flea sprayer, just in case. :)

+1 yes

edited January 2018

Another Alien render from me. Post work is a combination of the original render with Dynamic Auto Painter - Monet filter

Alien Green 1_DAP_Monet_Revisited colormatch upd 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

post in PSE2018

I modeled the dog last week added a couple of morphs but I admit it... I'm a total waste 

when it comes to rigging..

So here is the dog for you to play with... rig it if you can.. remodel him if you like, add more morphs or just abandon him to a forgotten folder on your PC..

whatever you do just repost the amended dog here to share with everyone. Fleas not included... but can be devil

Thanks! I'll try and get him rigged - but I'm no rigging artist either.

wow, that's wonderful!!!!

Bunyip02 said:

Another Alien render from me. Post work is a combination of the original render with Dynamic Auto Painter - Monet filter

superb effect on the ground and background again!

Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

post in PSE2018

I modeled the dog last week added a couple of morphs but I admit it... I'm a total waste when it comes to rigging..

So here is the dog for you to play with... rig it if you can..

Stezza said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

don't we all.... smiley

post in PSE2018

Stezza said:

too kind Stezza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that should say thanks Stezza!

Among the Frozen - A Carrara/Howler work

This discussion has been closed.