edited January 2018

Sci-Fi woman - Topaz Simplify - Color Sketch III

SciFi Woman 1-TopazSimplify-ColorSketchIII 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Bunyip02 said:

lots to like in this one - especially the ground!

edited January 2018

found this little guy in my runtime (a foetus?) - gave him some hair and NPR'ed the render.

he is now an umbilical brother - don't google them, they are decidely not funny

foetus1cropped.jpg
    2505 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    head wax said:

Hey HW, it's -6 F here. Great for... Carrara work indoors!!! ;)

I don't see a picture in your message, just a big patch of nothing.

I used to think that sculpting in stone would make my life easier in 3d modeling. Kinda... but for the most part, no. The only thing that translates is the understanding of dimension. But there's a certain feel to chipping away material to get a clump to take shape and using the fingers to feel the accuracy of the shape and so on... it's an entirely different experience. Sculpting stone also doesn't come with multiple undos - or one for that matter. One person told me that getting a new stone is the undo button. That's not true either. Each stone is quite different. Yopu should try it. I bet you'd be excellent at it. Get a piece of alabaster at an art store or college. They'll also have a nice simple set of tools for you, or will know where to get them. It might look funny at first, and some folks might disagree, but the simple set of a small chiseling hammer and three or four chisels is a great set. You'll eventually find other things around the house that help with the rest - like a spoon for scrapping certain parts smooth, for example. Alabaster is an excellent substance and is translucent. Put a light under your work and watch it glow! You'll love it... I know you will!

heh, love that edit undo suggestion :) :) yep there's a few sculptors here making magic !! I think my abilities would suit playdoh !!!  Ah that link, it's vimeo, I had another go and the link comes up but not the vid ??? 

Playdoh's fun too. But chiseling is entirely different. We visualize what the stone will become in the end, by 'seeing' what would fit within it (after we take all of the extra material away). Then we place a chisel firmly on the surface and give it a strike with the hammer. 

At that early stage, we're being careful to not upset the stone, but just start taking away parts we know need to go.

It's really fun, just getting that initial shape outlined. Once we get closer to the actualy shape we want, we start really getting into it and have a good feel for how hard to hit or whether to start scraping instead, etc.,  Getting to the finer details is really a rush. It's just so.... Oh damn... I better get chiseling.

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Absolutely! Wow. I turned the page in the thread and was blind-sided with this wonderful, colorful image! Nice work!

As HW says, when my eyes made it to the tiled ground I just went WOW! Looks cool!

head wax said:

found this little guy in my runtime (a foetus?) - gave him some hair and NPR'ed the render.

Very nice hand-painted look! 

head wax said:

Very nice hand-painted look! 

thanks Dart, getting there :)

It is. At first, the nice texture made it look like colored charcoal. Looking closer, it looks like watercolor on textured paper. Ink? It hads a really natural look and feel to it. yes

I think I might miss Tempra. It's been such a long time. Come to think of it, I haven't painted with anything except pre-school watercolors since... well... a long time ago!

Oh... and that isn't including my water-based enamels I use to paint miniatures with. I love painting tiny (25mm) D&D and other tabletop game miniatures. I'll have to take some photos of some of them one day 

I love painting tiny (25mm) D&D and other tabletop game miniatures. I'll have to take some photos of some of them one day 

sounds very meditative

!! show us some pics!!!

I usually paint in acrylics because it keeps me 'loose' plus I can fix it up quickly (dries fast)

I used to paint in watercolour but found it was making me anal - you cant fix up mistakes so easily

a few years ago I designed some digital images of dogs in Carrara - I printed thm out then used a light box to transfer the images to Arches water colour paper.

the transferral only took a few minutes (in ink)

So when I painted watercolour and gouache over them I could be as free as I liked, because the setup time was minimial and I could always transfer them again on to a clean sheet

- ironically 4 out of 6 turned out wonderfully the first time (the others were crap!)

here's one (dog's name is Rosie !  after the three d model)

rest of other artist's work in the show here http://www.gallery139.com.au/2016-exhibitions/dogs-in-art

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2018

Andrew, very cool dog!

I adore watercolor painting. And I like to paint spontaneously without any previous sketching or pencil drawing. In every style, I prefer so called “ a La prima or wet-on-wet. No corrections required.

stock-photo-tropical-resort-view-with-the-seashore-and-coconut-palm-original-watercolor-painting-412270375.jpg
    1047 x 1600 - 930K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

HW and Vyusur - great painting. I have also done watercolor in my time (and just one painting in oils!).

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you, Phil!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Thanks

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Absolutely! Wow. I turned the page in the thread and was blind-sided with this wonderful, colorful image! Nice work!

As HW says, when my eyes made it to the tiled ground I just went WOW! Looks cool!

Thanks. Am doing some of my own textures, will see how they develop.

edited January 2018

Headwax - like both the Umbilical Brothers and the dog !!!

Vyusur - very nice work.

Another alien render from me. Using the Killer Bug and Planet Gilse. Post-work by Dynamic Auto-Painter PRO-5 using the Aqua-Real filter.

Bug 1_DAP_Aqua-Real_V5 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

After having seen nVidia's changing environments and faces videos (both extrapolated from real images) it would be interesting to see if the technology could extract NPR from existing full motion video. I could imagine brushtrokes that are mapped to objects and track with the moving video, so you could have an artistic style that carries through with the cinematography. Waking Life (along with A Scanner Darkly) and some sequences from What Dreams May Come employed many artists to translate video into a visually different medium. I don't know if the coding would be able to carry through a feeling in the way a human artist would ... Dynamic Auto Painter makes me think that it would be possible.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

HW - awesome dog!  The others in the exhibit were fun as well. 

Vyusur - terrific watercolor.  Why are you scewing around with this inferior Carrara digital stuff? smiley

Bunyip - that was an amazing ... something!  I guess that I would call it "abstract."  Whatever the label, I LOVED it.  The pure aesthetic of it really hit my sweet spot.

Vyusur said:

Andrew, very cool dog!

I adore watercolor painting. And I like to paint spontaneously without any previous sketching or pencil drawing. In every style, I prefer so called “ a La prima or wet-on-wet. No corrections required.

Thanks Veronica, that's an impressive work - shows fine control of the wet and the dry and usage of the paper whites to add sparkle

you know how to handle a brush!

thanks @PhilW @UnifiedBrain  et @Bunyip02

@Bunyip02  killer render, the DAP looks like I should have grabbed it ! - I was feeling a little poor especially with the Ozzie Dollar....

cdordoni said:

After having seen nVidia's changing environments and faces videos (both extrapolated from real images) it would be interesting to see if the technology could extract NPR from existing full motion video. I could imagine brushtrokes that are mapped to objects and track with the moving video, so you could have an artistic style that carries through with the cinematography. Waking Life (along with A Scanner Darkly) and some sequences from What Dreams May Come employed many artists to translate video into a visually different medium. I don't know if the coding would be able to carry through a feeling in the way a human artist would ... Dynamic Auto Painter makes me think that it would be possible.

looking forwrad to seeing this in real life !

edited January 2018

Finally after a few months work my (mostly) NPR show is listed at Maitland Regional Gallery (Australia)  at the moment in The Upcoming exhibitions.

It's 22 works homaging painters, styles and paintings ranging from Fra Angelico through Goya, James Ensor, Mondrian, Degas, Van Gogh , Bosch (times 2) , Holbien The Younger, Breughel, Paula Rego, Dore, William-Adolphe Bouguereau  , Caravaggio , Arnold Böcklin,  Hans Belmer, Balthus, Henry Fuseli and Vermeer amongst them. All done in Carrara and featuring the Dadaaist Poet and Writer Hugo Ball.

There's a bit more about it here:

http://mrag.org.au/exhibitions/coming-exhibitions/

http://mrag.org.au/exhibition/andrew-finnie-the-enlightening-journey-of-mr-hugo-ball/

This is the only image that is not NPR in the show.

Hugo Ball at the Cabaret Voltaire 2018 (detail)

It's based on this one taken in 1916

Nice Rosie Dog painting, HW!!! I love acrylic as well - same reasons! I go into watercolor painting with the thought of never making corrections and, like Vyusur, I prefer wet-on-wet. Oils are fun, but I never built up a decent collection of them because I didn't really get a chance to do it that much. They have to (in my opinion, for how I painted with them) be able to stay put for a fairly long time. But I loved using both brushes and knives to glob paint onto the canvas and kinda sculpt the painting from it. 

My baby sister is an AMAZING artist - any medium - and she is incredible at a subtractive style of painting, where she applied the underlying hues over the prominent ones, then scrapes them away so that the prominent colors come back to the foreground. Really cool results.

So. you'd use a Light Box to project the image onto paper so you could trace shapes by hand, or what did you mean by that?

Nice painting Vyusur!!! 

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax - like both the Umbilical Brothers and the dog !!!

Vyusur - very nice work.

Another alien render from me. Using the Killer Bug and Planet Gilse. Post-work by Dynamic Auto-Painter PRO-5 using the Aqua-Real filter.

Fricken Awesome!!! Glad you're liking DAP!!! Yeah... it just left a sour taste when I bought a pack of software that included DAP, but the author decided to not honor license codes to buyers of that bundle anymore. But I also got a feeling that, since it actually paints each image - so the same image wouldn't really come out the same way twice (from what I understand), it likely wouldn't work so great for animation work.

Your painting looks fantastic! that bug is really cool and I love the landscape!

cdordoni said:

I was struggling with this idea for some time. As I said in my above post, I didn't think that DAP would work. It claims to paint unique strokes every time, so that the same image run using the same process would never produce the same result twice.

That might still be fine, though - depending upon the desired result. I wanted more of a "Painting in Motion" sort of look, so that sort of individualism between one frame and the next wouldn't be what I was looking for.

Howler has a filter called Oilify, that looked similar to what I was looking for, but it didn't have an animate feature for the filter. I asked Dan Ritchie (developer of Dogwaffle) if it would be possible and he made it happen for the next update, a day or two later! I was amazed!

I have since kind of dropped that idea, but it's always rattling around back in my brain - especially after visiting this thread.

My latest attempt in that regard was to use these sorts of filters (this is where DAP would be great!) on the texture maps used in the shaders. I was using a combination of hand-painting onto the figure in Carrara using 3D Paint, then going into Howler and using bristle brushes to enhance the textures and make sure they match nicely with the UVs.

I was hoping that something like that combined with some sort of NPR render solution (or not) and a cool post effect process could give that Moving Painting sort of look.

The big thing is that I was trying to create a repeatable process. I don't have staff and don't want to have to spend months on a few seconds of final material. Seeing NASSOS' results with the making of Dinner for Few blew my mind. That was more Comic Book in Motion, which still isn't what I'm going for, but how he did it was very cool!

head wax said:

Finally after a few months work my (mostly) NPR show is listed at Maitland Regional Gallery (Australia)  at the moment in The Upcoming exhibitions.

It's 22 works homaging painters, styles and paintings ranging from Fra Angelico through Goya, James Ensor, Mondrian, Degas, Van Gogh , Bosch (times 2) , Holbien The Younger, Breughel, Paula Rego, Dore, William-Adolphe Bouguereau  , Caravaggio , Arnold Böcklin,  Hans Belmer, Balthus, Henry Fuseli and Vermeer amongst them. All done in Carrara and featuring the Dadaaist Poet and Writer Hugo Ball.

http://mrag.org.au/exhibition/andrew-finnie-the-enlightening-journey-of-mr-hugo-ball/

Fantastic! How many times do I have to say: "Andrew, I so love your work!" ?

It's so cool that you're so active in the gallery stream too! Love it!

head wax said:

Fantastic! How many times do I have to say: "Andrew, I so love your work!" ?

It's so cool that you're so active in the gallery stream too! Love it!

thanks Dart :) I'll be dead a long time so I have to give them something to play with after I'm gone ...:) ha ha

edited January 2018

My baby sister is an AMAZING artist - any medium - and she is incredible at a subtractive style of painting, where she applied the underlying hues over the prominent ones, then scrapes them away so that the prominent colors come back to the foreground. Really cool results.

So. you'd use a Light Box to project the image onto paper so you could trace shapes by hand, or what did you mean by that?

Dart, sounds like a great way to work - funnily I work on dark backgrounds and that means the image is already there, you just have to tease it out :)

Light box - yep I print out a coverage or toon pro pass on a few a4's which I stick together - I also might do a shadow pass and a diffuse pass. But once the linework is on the paper I abandon the light box - I could just as eaily grid itr up or draw it freehand but with this method I can be as loose as I like with water colour and not be afraid of mucking it up, because the amount of lost working time is minimal.

Another example of this is Blind Spot - which is presently hung in this year's Dog Show -

No automatic alt text available. 

this is a Carrara job that I painted in the Renaissance method of  Verdaccio with glazing over the underpainting

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Bunyip02 said:

like everyone has already posted....

this is awesome - really cool yes

Headwax does anything ever happen out at Maitland?..... good luck with your exhibition.. smiley

stezza saideth

Headwax does anything ever happen out at Maitland?..... good luck with your exhibition.. smiley

yes there is a Bikie Gang .... thanks for the well wishes! :) The Head Curator said it got a 'wow' from the gallery staff (it's all being framed at the moment)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    head wax said:
    this is a Carrara job that I painted in the Renaissance method of  Verdaccio with glazing over the underpainting

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Looks fascinating!  I assume it is from an earlier show?

You are super-talented.  Best of luck in this one!

This discussion has been closed.