Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

If you want it modelled rather than mapped, I think I would go with a very simple solution, take a simple cube (either in the vertex modeller or even just a primitive in the Assemble Room) and make it long and thin, and then duplicate and stretch to make the lines that you need. If you do it in the Assemble Room, you should probably group the result.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328
    edited February 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Applause... applause!  You folks are modeling circles around me.... some great looking models!

Finally I quit procrastinating last night and approached music bars for the Music Challenge... things did not go well... but now I know how not to start.  Over the past week I've grabbed some pics for diff style notes... whole, half, full and others I've long forgotten what their names are. sad  8 years of music study and playing various instruments gone... left behind upon graduation.

May as well show my disaster last night... vertical lines should be a lot, bit, narrower... perhaps I'll make it same size but spaced further apart... Hmm

??? Looks beautiful. Why change it?

I don't think it's too bold or too close together. Now it just needs some notation

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited February 2017

Phil,  Thanks for getting me back on track... think I'll make a verticle cube with enough segments and just extrude 5 of those for the horizontal bars.

Dart,  Gee thanks... but I must admit the render is Black in order to hide the mistakes. See pics below that show them.  I agree... the render from last night looks good... but I will want the ability to have it in diff colors also.  Look out notation...  I'm headed your way.

The verticle bar was added last... I'd first used Path Sweep with a skinny square and drew a path for it... it was then duplicated 5 times.

MusicBars_Attempt_01Mistakes.png
    640 x 480 - 12K
    MusicBars_Atempt1_mistakes.png
    1366 x 768 - 180K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

Well, here's my suggestion:

I mean... you could leave it if you want. The render is where it counts, right? 

Just make a shader where everything is set to "None"

Otherwise... why use path sweep at all, unless just to try out the tool?

Just use simple cube primitives and scale them to size. Then make a shader where everything is set to "None"

If you wanted to add some dimension to it, we could use Cylinder instead of cube and set the Highlight channel to Value 1-100 = 15 and shininess channel to Value 1-100 = 05

Dart,  Last night I threw out my Path Sweep idea and started by constructing a Grid then used Dynamic Extrusion which seems to work better... I'll have to redo it since the horizontal bars are now even larger now.  I'm liking your idea of a cylinder... will have to give that a try also.

Please tell me why I'd want to set all shader tree channels to None.  Do some of the channels effect an image/object even when not set or rather left at defaults?  Only ones I normally change are Color, Highlight and Shininess... later Bump and ocassionally Alpha.

Thanks for the Highlight and Shininess values... I'll give those a go.

Oh... btw... I'll be adding morphs to the bars so they can be curves in either Z or X using Soft Select... might play with a few Deform effects.

HeeHee... I was thinking about making the notes while driving today and missed my turn into a store lot. surprise

If you have a nice structure to what you have modelled, it should be a simple task to move stuff so that the lines are whatever thickness you want.

When everything in a Multichannel shader is set to "None", we get an entirely not shiny flat black. It's like a black hole, not even light can escape it! ;)

Works great for making things Black!

Then we can bring in some highlight and shininess to apply some substance. Using a value of 1-5 instead of "None" takes us slightly away from Black. Many artists like to keep away from using pure black (value 1-100 = 0) or pure white (value 1-100 = 100) but for rendering, it's not such a big deal since we're actually using a camera and lights. But with a Multichannel with everything at None, light will not change it from being pure black. 

There's a good reason to not have something entirely black, it becomes just a silhouette and not like a proper 3D object. If there are no highlights and the base colour is totally black, there is no difference between the lit side and the shadowed side, so it loses its sense of form. Plus in real life, even things that read as being black, are actually very dark grey - you can still see a difference between areas that are lit and areas that are in shadow.

edited February 2017

Right. Even this text is not black. We can set it to be black, like this, but by default, it's not.

Anyways, I thought it would look cool on your music staff.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited February 2017

Took a timeout from the bars to see what problems I would have with the notes... of course I ran into a few.  What I plan to do to make things easier is use my original 2d circle having one for a filled note and another for an open note, like a sidways O, that I can rotate a bit after cutting the hole with Dynamic Extrusion.  I made things a lot harder by first adding thikness and Converting smoothing at level 1 which caused much to much work to get them looking halfway decent. Smoothing for the render below was cranked up to level 3 and looks good to me... I was a bit disspointed that the feet don't have enough tilt to them even after squishing them, scale  and rotate, a bit first... must not have squished them enough.

Since I wanted to render these notes on the bars... what I did was to select Symmetry and adjust, Move, all 4 upper and lower to be just a bit closer.  Note the center bar had to be adjusted seperatly a tiny bit less so it wouldn't be too skinny.

All these dudes need are a wing or more and and all will be able to fly around. :)

Modeling in Carrara is funnnnn!

Phil,  thanks for your suggestions on resizing as well as the explanation of not just total black... while an 8 ball is basically black it has highlight and shininess also.

Dart,  I can understand a use for None now thanks for letting me know.

Both ways have their uses for different things entirely.

Yeah... it was looking like you were going to lay them all flat on paper. By the way, I think the squish is just right - I'm not comparing it to a notation at all... but to me it looks great.

Once you 'know' that you 'know' how to do all of this, you can next time save some time and get a notation font and just spit it all out using the text modeler! ;)

You know... just for fun!

wgdjohn said:

Phil,  thanks for your suggestions on resizing as well as the explanation of not just total black... while an 8 ball is basically black it has highlight and shininess also.

You would be amazed at how many thing we percieve to be Black are are not even close to pure black - a lack of color which is nearly impossible to achieve, short of the tinyiest center point of a black hole, perhaps, or theoretically on a computer screen. But even that, by the time it reaches our eyes, it's actually a quite a bit brighter than pure black.

Same applies for pure white, or the presence of All color. In computer models, however, we may now use floating point which allows us to measure things that should be brighter than white, simply by not having a high-end threshold. This is how HDRI works for lighting. Values which are brighter than the prevously usual scale - brighter than white - will go beyond being bright and will actually cast or emit light into the 3d space. But it is also useful for post production, since the lack of a cieling threshold means that there is always some details to be had by lowering surrounding values - whereas when using the previous (non floating point) scale, once white is reached, and detailed information beyond that is lost form that point forward.

I believe that last bit was the main reason for coming up with the floating point methods - and emitting light came along for the ride. Although it may also have been part of the theoretical planning all along. Who really knows how the original genius occurred? Not me - that's for sure! ;) But I do enjoy the ride!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The only time I use pure black is if I want to represent a deep dark hole (for example, a black plane behind a grille, or looking down a chimney pot. Anything that's just coloured black is a shade of dark grey or blue-grey. Otherwise you won't see it in the render. And similarly whites are shades of light grey, even emissive computer screens, which are a light blue-grey...

Yeah... it was looking like you were going to lay them all flat on paper. By the way, I think the squish is just right - I'm not comparing it to a notation at all... but to me it looks great.

Once you 'know' that you 'know' how to do all of this, you can next time save some time and get a notation font and just spit it all out using the text modeler! ;)

You know... just for fun!

Thanks very much for the compliment... means a lot coming from you.

"Laying flat on paper"  is how I pictured them, in my head, at the beginning but not what I was wanting.... make sense??... too much reading of sheet music years ago.:)  Took a bit to get my head away from DTP vector design and font design itself but that helped... at the same time it also confused me at first.  Take the letter "o" for instance... as a font I would create 2 circles... one a bit smaller and just reverse the small one's direction to create the appearance of being open in the center.  In Carrara and other 3D programs the same effect is accomplished just as easy using Dynamic extrusion on one or more polygon... holding down the Shift Key constrains it to the same plane... of course you are left with a poly in the center which can just be removed using Empty Polygon... but of course you and most already know this.  I mention it for the benefit of those new to modeling.

Speaking of the font modeler I'll likely use it for the "&"like symbol... will have to make sure I have a font for Music, I expect so, for that symbol... sharp, flat, >, <  and other symbols will be easy to model.  Oh... I can't leave out a double note.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,995
    edited February 2017

I'm having trouble trying to model this FJ Holden... 

I just can't get it!... frustrating. the mesh is always ending up messy and bumpy.. see my attempt below if you dare!! arrgghhhhhh

anyone like to get it started for me crying

fj Holden.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 504K
    my attempt.jpg
    623 x 471 - 41K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza - I think you are being hard on yourself, it doesn't look at all bad to me - but then I mostly struggle to tell one brand of car from another.

• PhilW said:

There's a good reason to not have something entirely black, it becomes just a silhouette and not like a proper 3D object. If there are no highlights and the base colour is totally black, there is no difference between the lit side and the shadowed side, so it loses its sense of form. Plus in real life, even things that read as being black, are actually very dark grey - you can still see a difference between areas that are lit and areas that are in shadow.

True.   The guide from the Substance Painter folks suggests not going below 30 sRGB or above 240 sRGB

PhilW said:

True.   The guide from the Substance Painter folks suggests not going below 30 sRGB or above 240 sRGB

Argh! You guys I know that! LOL

I was only saying that because it would make his musical staff graphic look super black against his pure white! 

PhilW said:

Stezza - I think you are being hard on yourself, it doesn't look at all bad to me

I agree. Just keep going on it - it looks great so far! But perhaps you're seeing something that we cannot?

Either way... just keep working your magic on it! ;)

edited February 2017
    PhilW said:

Stezza - I think you are being hard on yourself, it doesn't look at all bad to me

I agree. Just keep going on it - it looks great so far! But perhaps you're seeing something that we cannot?

Either way... just keep working your magic on it! ;)

Thanks for the comments.. attached is the shell of the car in a zip file so you can see the faults..

How do I line up the mesh to make it uniform without having to to do each vertice/edge individually... or can't that be done.

Thanks for looking yes

edited to put the low poly model up ;-)

zip
    zip
    FJ Holden.zip
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • would Instant Meshes help?

https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

This model is way to high density for this stage of the modeling. The line flow is also not ideal for the shape of the car.

I would do the base in a lower density, with the use of creased edges, and then separate the doors, and make them as separate models.

All the parts, as lights, hood ornament, windows .... should also be their own objects.

When making the shape for the lights, use a cylinder as a guide (definition 4) 

Because your model is so high density, lining up the edges and optimizing the mesh will take a long time. 

I realised that after I posted it, I have several models at different stages and sent up the high one ( doh! )... I replaced the file with a low poly one 

Thanks Wendy, I shall have a look at that. 

I'm no auto modeler, by any stretch... but even in this lower rez version, I agree with Varsel. Still too high-poly for the stage, which prevents adding some nicer edges to help the shape along when Subdivided.

I don't model like this fellow either, but I thought it was a really cool idea for modeling a car

Stezza,  I've never modeled a car yet but in the pic below I've noted a few places I have questions about... all selected polys have either 3, 5 or 6 vertices... why?  I did miss a few and also noticed non-4 vertices at the front fender also... with smoothing a few change vertices count... they may have more vertices than are noticeable with the eye, as the one I did find and mark, at inner wheel opening of rear fender.

Car looks great compared to what I could come up with in a month or so. :)

FJH_rearFender.png
    1366 x 768 - 302K

Stezza,  I've never modeled a car yet but in the pic below I've noted a few places I have questions about... all selected polys have either 3, 5 or 6 vertices... why?

Because I've never modeled a car either lol

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

This new model is better. But there are a lot of n-goons, and there where an opening in the mesh. I do understand now why you had problems.

Modeling a car like this should be almost like modeling a female body. You need a good edge flow, following the contour of the body.

I just have to stress this. Edgeflow - and quads .... 

I did a quick clean up of the model. And here is a before and after, of it. It is not done... its just an example.

For the back wheel cover, I would use fewer lines to define the shape, and also on the side/doors, I would use fewer lines.

Untitled-2.jpg
    1201 x 862 - 529K
    edited February 2017

Stezza,  If you haven't seen it yet... ya gotta see Vyusur's Female Head modeling... it's a bunch of pages ago.  As Varsel said... "Modeling a car like this should be almost like modeling a female body."   I was thinking the same thing.  Glad quads were mentioned... I've been sticking to quads since 3DAGE mentioned they are the way to good modeling practices.

edited February 2017

Thanks @wgdjohn, I haven't seen that one.. off we go looking cool

thanks @Varsel yes

Post edited by Stezza on