Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Beautifully detailed. I might be tempted to add a little bevelling on the sleepers but other than that it looks perfect.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

On uvmapping, I tend to start with unwrap in mind while modeling but then use presets for just a few parts.  I tend to match islands to shading domains (at a minimum), unwrap, then apply a preset to those islands that suck.  Or, I might have the head as a whole be oval, but then have a portion of the face start with planar.  It really depends on how distorting the eyes-nose-mouth area is.  So, unwrapping is now my norm, at least as a start, for most complex objects, even if subparts will use presets.

if combining, make sure to handle all unwraps first, then apply presets to sub parts.

TJ, love the tracks.  yes

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

TJ, love those points. Will they work? If so, how do you plan to handle the ERC? Can't wait to see how they look textured . . .

You know, with some more bits, you could make a railway construction kit. Export to DS & it'd probably sell pretty well too.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

PhilW said:

Beautifully detailed. I might be tempted to add a little bevelling on the sleepers but other than that it looks perfect.

I had to look up what sleepers were....  smiley

I know them as railroad ties.   And yeah, I probably ought to bevel them.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Thank you all for the kind comments!

@TangoAlpha - I'm not sure if the points will be movable or not.  I'm hoping they will be; it's going to depend on my rigging skills.

PhilW said:

I had to look up what sleepers were....  smiley

I know them as railroad ties.   And yeah, I probably ought to bevel them.

"Two nations divided by a common language" (Winston Churchill).

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    wgdjohn said:

Excellent disicriptions/examples!... TangoAlpha & 3DAGE.  Hope I can use it with my windowed PanelBox...  I might try it first on one withouth added thickness... who knows perhaps even I can learn to UnWrap.  As you can see from the pic below the inside is an exact duplicate of the outside with a .50 in. joining the inside and outside.   I suspect that with the window openings I should define those at the same time as the end cap. Hmm for the window ledges probably select 1 edge??  and do those seperately for each??

Dart,  Thanks for putting the video link in the thread.  I watched it long ago and it's quite easy for follow... Well... 3rd or 4th try finally worked. :)

Absent any other thoughts, my first pass would probably be to treat each top/bottom/side section separately. You'd end up with 12 islands, but they'd be simple unwraps (although the four pieces with "ends" would be a little more complex)

TA,  Thanks... I can picture it now.

wgdjohn said:

Excellent disicriptions/examples!... TangoAlpha & 3DAGE.  Hope I can use it with my windowed PanelBox...  I might try it first on one withouth added thickness... who knows perhaps even I can learn to UnWrap.  As you can see from the pic below the inside is an exact duplicate of the outside with a .50 in. joining the inside and outside.   I suspect that with the window openings I should define those at the same time as the end cap. Hmm for the window ledges probably select 1 edge??  and do those seperately for each??

Dart,  Thanks for putting the video link in the thread.  I watched it long ago and it's quite easy for follow... Well... 3rd or 4th try finally worked. :)

Absent any other thoughts, my first pass would probably be to treat each top/bottom/side section separately. You'd end up with 12 islands, but they'd be simple unwraps (although the four pieces with "ends" would be a little more complex)

Me too... to be perfectly honest. I certainly know others who would immediately opt for an unwrap. Not me. I almost always go for a method that helps me paint my textures as easily as possible. So I most often to each domain separately (making several, often many domains) and using planar map operation as a start, then 'pull out' any hidden or squished edges to make for a nice, unifrom map. Works for me, but each artist often finds their own comfort zone.

I'd rather not UnWrap it but want to learn how.... guess I'd better make a separate domain for each side... inside and out and the window legdes.  Hopefully I'll have 2 versions... Not UnWrapped and the other which will be.

Diomede said:

On uvmapping, I tend to start with unwrap in mind while modeling but then use presets for just a few parts.  I tend to match islands to shading domains (at a minimum), unwrap, then apply a preset to those islands that suck.  Or, I might have the head as a whole be oval, but then have a portion of the face start with planar.  It really depends on how distorting the eyes-nose-mouth area is.  So, unwrapping is now my norm, at least as a start, for most complex objects, even if subparts will use presets.

What "presets'?... like box mode etc?

Diomede said:

if combining, make sure to handle all unwraps first, then apply presets to sub parts.

I have 6 windows modeled, saved as a separate Polymesh which fit the openings... so I have 2 different object files.  Is this what you mean by "if combining"?  Note the the windows are actually 6 polymeshes in one file... guess I'd better UnWrap those also... should also give each it's own shading domain... windows all share the same 1 now.

TJ...  Great looking track.

edited March 2017

-wgdjohn, on combining seams/unwrap and presets for same uvmap grid.  My experience has been that if I click the unwrap button, it unwraps the entire model, not just my selection.  However, if I click to apply a box, sphere, cylinder, or planar preset, it only affects my current selection.  Therefore, I seam/unwrap everything first, then I select subgroups and apply a preset (box, cylinder,...), if any are desired. 

It might be that I am simply missing a step in trying to limit unwrap to my current selection.  Maybe someone else knows how.

EDIT:  I am referring to the presets under the 3rd tab of the uv room, not the preset modes under the 1st tab. For this, the 1st tab mode should be custom.  Can't show a screenshot now so I hope it makes sense.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841

Nice work Tabasco Jack.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,995

I've been quiet lately as I've been busy working on my latest project - here's a work in progress....

well on track to a great looking set yes

Thanks Diomede... wanted to be sure.  By following you're instructions in No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever awhile back I was finally able to understand UnWrap alot better. 

Stezza said:

These are the jokes, folks!! laugh

PhilW said:
    Stezza said:

These are the jokes, folks!! laugh

Hilarious when I read it...  [delayed laughter]  Chuckle chuckle... Ha Ha Ha... chuckle chuckle.  Good play on words Stezza! wink

While making music letters and symbols for Carrara Challenge 31 "Music" I got to thinking that making letters isn't that much different.  Below I only show a simple O shaped charater... it would not be that hard to make more complicated ones.

Modeling is Funnnn!

MakingLetters_step1.png
    1366 x 768 - 186K
    MakingLetters_step2.png
    1366 x 768 - 213K
    MakingLetters_step3.png
    1366 x 768 - 188K
    MakingLetters_step4.png
    1366 x 768 - 321K
    MakingLetters_step5.png
    1366 x 768 - 325K
    MakingLetters_step6.png
    1366 x 768 - 302K
    MakingLetters_render.png
    640 x 480 - 344K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Some cool and interesting stuff going on in this thread.  I'm kind of semi-snowed in this morning (nothing as bad as what the East Coast is getting, but the snowblower wouldn't start, so enough to keep me from going in to work this morning) so I had some time to catch up. laugh

This is slightly off-topic, so my apologies for that, but I thought people might find it interesting: Pixar is running a contest to texture and light a scene made by one of their interns and it's really cool to be able to see an actual "Pixar quality" model and take it apart to see how they do things.

You have to sign in their forum to see the contest rules and need to use Renderman to enter the contest, but the full scene is at https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/1767/kitchen-pup-asset-1.html if you are interested; at the bottom of the page are links to download the actual complete scene in FBX or OBJ format if anyone wants to pop it open in Carrara and take a look. smiley

MDO, thanks for the notice.  Looks fascinating.

• MDO2010 said:

Pixar is running a contest to texture and light a scene made by one of their interns and it's really cool to be able to see an actual "Pixar quality" model and take it apart to see how they do things.

Looked at it, modeling wise, noting special IMO, UV's messed up on many meshes wink

I've just updated Post #2 to add links for Modeling in other programs.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    MDO2010 said:

Pixar is running a contest to texture and light a scene made by one of their interns and it's really cool to be able to see an actual "Pixar quality" model and take it apart to see how they do things.

Looked at it, modeling wise, noting special IMO, UV's messed up on many meshes wink

I downloaded it but haven't really looked in much detail, but if that's the case then it's even more interesting - it means that what we normally think of as a very high professional level is really not that far out of reach. laugh

edited March 2017
    MDO2010 said:

I might be confusing this but I think that Pixar may use a special texture format that maps the textures direct to the polygons, hence they may not need good UVs for their own works. A bit poor putting something like that out and expecting others to texture it though!  I also remember seeing something on their modelling and the approach seemed to be to use subdivision surfaces and use as few actual polys as possible to keep the meshes light. Of course they have the advantage of knowing how they are going to be used in the scene, and can theredore adjust the mesh density depending on whether it will be foreground or background, etc.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

ptex

th3Digit said:

ptex

Yep - that's the one.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

boy thats gonna take a while .... just messing around with Octane live database shaders and Nobilax ones so far

just for my own fun

pup kitchen.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 223K
  • otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited March 2017

Hi there! long time that I having no post here, and not much advance so far, but here is a extruded hose I modeled in the vertex room:

Extruded Hose 01.png
    665 x 503 - 123K
    Post edited by otodomus on

Looks very realistic!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Oddly enough, I just bought a goose neck magnifier that's got a length of that hose on it. Looks almost identical!

PhilW said:

Looks very realistic!

Thanks! The most important thing here wasn´t the render itself, but the quad modeling on this, I had to try several times until get the cord separations and roundness, is still needing some adjustments smiley

Oddly enough, I just bought a goose neck magnifier that's got a length of that hose on it. Looks almost identical!

Cool!