April New User 3D Art Contest "Open Render" (WIP)

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I call this "The Briefing"

I am using DAZ Studio with postowork done in Adobe Lightroom

Very nice lighting. Consider adding a visemes to the briefing officer so we know he's talking rather than just looking at the briefing table. Also I am wondering why the hero is holding a gun during a briefing? Do they expect an iminent attack?
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2016

Thanks, Dracorn! I could certainly go that way. It would also take care of the weird shirt-fitting issues I always have on morphs M4s. I love working with them but omg, getting their clothes to fit right is sometimes a nightmare, even with sets designed for M4 Elite and ++. 

I'd like the render to have a movie feel, because these two characters are actually from my first romantic comedy, Crazy in the Heart, which is being released next month. I'm practicing so I can do some promos and eventually, my own book covers. That's why I'm learning 3D art in the first place. I tried to work with book cover designers, but they wanted to work with stock photos. I looked through thousands of pictures. Could not find any guys that look like this, especially blond ones. (My next book will be even more challenging because the people are more "unique".)

I finally hired a friend to create the book cover in 3D instead. She said, "Go over to Daz.com and pick out some models who look close to what you want." That was last December. One look and I was hooked! I love what you can do in these programs! And the cover my friend did turned out really nice. Win, win!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • h_habashh_habash Posts: 230

The "sunbathing" lady, with 70% render, I gave up with wetting her hair so I've decided to change the look a bit as you can see, I removed the wet look from the bathing suit, changed her left hand pose and brought these two Poser BluJay birds at the back, the head towel is what I've came up with to cover the hair as I don't have proper hat to fit her in this laying pose.

April2016-Sunbathing 5.jpg
    883 x 672 - 401K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    h_habash said:

The "sunbathing" lady, with 70% render, I gave up with wetting her hair so I've decided to change the look a bit as you can see, I removed the wet look from the bathing suit, changed her left hand pose and brought these two Poser BluJay birds at the back, the head towel is what I've came up with to cover the hair as I don't have proper hat to fit her in this laying pose.

I'd add a bump or normal (displacement if in 3Delight) to the head towel to make it look more cloth-like.  It currently has a bit of a flat, plastic look to it.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    h_habash said:

I, actually, kind of like your fix for the hair problem.  I have seen some ladies sunbathing here with turbans or scarves on their hair so it isn't out of the ordinary!  I agree with mjc016, either it needs a bump and normal with a terry cloth type texture or you need to make it look more like a silk scarf or something.  Did the towel not come with displacement maps?  If it was a 3Delight shader that you converted to Iray, sometimes you need to go back in and put the extra maps in the right place.  I've noticed that Iray Uber doesn't always transfer the maps and I tend to forget to use that control + whatever button when converting things to Iray.  I usually have to track down the maps.  They should be in the same directory as the base texture map, though.

That's a great solution, h_habash! Looks good!

Llynara said:

Here's a PARTIAL render, which took forever, but looks pretty good. The fix in Poser 11 was to boost the samples in Superfly render settings from 3 (default) to 10, which is really changing the value of it, squared- from 3x3 to 10x10. So the render took a LOT longer, but looks a LOT better too. There's some texturing in the clouds, but that was already there in the background. It was the skin and hair that was giving me the most trouble. Plenty more to tweak, but happy with it as a starting point. 

There's something a little odd with the shadow over his eye...it's totally obscuring the eye, which could be fine, but it loses something because of it.   It's hard to tell if he is looking into her eyes or off into the distance.

Llynara said:

Thanks, Dracorn! I could certainly go that way. It would also take care of the weird shirt-fitting issues I always have on morphs M4s. I love working with them but omg, getting their clothes to fit right is sometimes a nightmare, even with sets designed for M4 Elite and ++. 

I'd like the render to have a movie feel, because these two characters are actually from my first romantic comedy, Crazy in the Heart, which is being released next month. I'm practicing so I can do some promos and eventually, my own book covers. That's why I'm learning 3D art in the first place. I tried to work with book cover designers, but they wanted to work with stock photos. I looked through thousands of pictures. Could not find any guys that look like this, especially blond ones. (My next book will be even more challenging because the people are more "unique".)

I finally hired a friend to create the book cover in 3D instead. She said, "Go over to Daz.com and pick out some models who look close to what you want." That was last December. One look and I was hooked! I love what you can do in these programs! And the cover my friend did turned out really nice. Win, win!

Small world.  Me too.  I'm learning DAZ to do all of my artwork.  I used to do watercolors, but a neck injury prevents me from looking down for any length of time, so, alas, I am unable to continue in that route and chose digital art because I can do it with my neck in a neutral position. 

I created quite a few custom characters in Genesis, then invested in Genesis 2.  I'm currently learning Photoshop.  As my stories are fantasy, I have some very unique things that I will have to learn to make myself. 

There is a thread devoted to book covers in the Art Studio forum: 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57390/book-covers#latest

By the way, I stubbornly try to fit V4/M4 stuff on my Genesis and Genesis 2, and boy, what a challenge sometimes.  Other times I'm happy that V4/M4 stuff has so many fitting morphs, because when Genesis clothes don't want to fit on Genesis, it's hard to force them.  That's why Zevo's Fit Control was one of the best purchases I ever made (http://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-bundle).  I must have spent at least an hour to get High Boots 3 for V5 to fit Genesis over Arki's Shadowcaster (with no Fit Control).

h_habash said:
    h_habash said:
    dracorn said:
    h_habash said:

I see isidorn has been busy giving out good advice already this morning.  smiley

h_habash - I agree with isidorn.  Unless your model is one of those women who goes in the ocean and doesn't get her hair wet, it should have a wetter look.  Try playing with the 'Glossy Layered Weight' and the 'Glossy Roughness' with the setting really low.  I've been playing with fur trying to get a post fight look with the fur so that it still looks a little wet and I think the settings might work on your model's hair. Unfortunately, my DS is busy and I can't bring up a model right now to test it out.  The settings I have on my fur, though, are GLW - 0.132308 and GR - 0.376540.  Try those out and see if the hair looks a little damper.  You may have to play with the adjustments to get the look you want.  I agree, too, that your need to try and adjust the hair so that it falls back a little more against the girl and the lounger.  If the hair morphs that come with the hair won't do it, you may need to use a dFormer for the hair.  Fortunately, I think hair is one of the easier props to dForme.

Thanks Knittingmommy, I'll try the setting and see, I'm also trying a deferent hair styles and play with shader, I belive I already have a wet hair style set but forget which one blush, I've managed to add some rolling water beads for her face, maybe I'll add some to her upper body also it depends on the hair style and length.

I assumed that she was glistening with beads of sweat from sunbathing rather than having just come out of the water. 

Well, this was my intention from beginning, but I thought to take the challenge and do some work on the hair indecision and increase the wet look on her body as well, maybe at the end I'll stick to just same existing wet skin if I couldn't solve the hair issue, I've tried Isidorn glossy setting once but it didn't work yet, I'm not giving up yet wink.

I've tried V4 wet hair but it wont work with Iray render even after applying Iray shader to it, so I'll keep working on the same original hair and figure it out soon. [Hopefully]

Can you do a quick render of what the V4 Wet Hair looks like when you render it?  I'd like to see if we are getting the same results.  So far, I'm not liking how this hair is put together when it comes to trying to convert it to Iray.  Also, do you happen to have any of the Iray hair shaders that work with any hair?  I'd like to know what you have to work with when it comes to hair and Iray.  Or, did you happen to pick up the Wet Hair: Color and Movement pack to go with Wet Hair or do you just have Wet Hair?  Because the materials in that pack are easier to convert to Iray than that materials that comes with Wet Hair.  For some reason, Wet Hair doesn't seem to do anything based on Iray settings.  I can't even get it to take an Iray hair shader correctly.  I've never seen a hair act like this.

That's the same problem with me with this set of wet hair even with 3DLight render unfortunately I didn't allow the render to advance once it was obvious to me it's not working but I can tell you're getting ribbons coming from the head backwards instead of hair look which I had when I do my trial, I couldn't figure it out even with existing hair shader I have (I forget the set name blush),  right now I'm rendering my scene with my first Idea of just wet body, once it's over I'll look at my content and let you know, I'm sorry I usually forget the names (pardon my old memory sad). As far as I remember, It was working well in the previous DAZ Studio versions.

mjc1016 said:
    h_habash said:

I'd add a bump or normal (displacement if in 3Delight) to the head towel to make it look more cloth-like.  It currently has a bit of a flat, plastic look to it.

It's Iray render, I have some fabric shaders I can try applying it to the towel, Thanks MJC1016 appreciate your feedback. yes

Llynara said:

That's a great solution, h_habash! Looks good!

Thanks Llynara.

h_habash said:

I, actually, kind of like your fix for the hair problem.  I have seen some ladies sunbathing here with turbans or scarves on their hair so it isn't out of the ordinary!  I agree with mjc016, either it needs a bump and normal with a terry cloth type texture or you need to make it look more like a silk scarf or something.  Did the towel not come with displacement maps?  If it was a 3Delight shader that you converted to Iray, sometimes you need to go back in and put the extra maps in the right place.  I've noticed that Iray Uber doesn't always transfer the maps and I tend to forget to use that control + whatever button when converting things to Iray.  I usually have to track down the maps.  They should be in the same directory as the base texture map, though.

Thanks Knittingmommy, this towel comes with Iray shader but it dont come with displacement map, I didn't like its default setting and forget to check on it before I hit the render button frown, I was concentrating on adjusting her left hand fingers position, and by the way, answering your request, I sometime use UHT Iray hair shader to the hair's I use if it do not look right while rendering the scene.

edited April 2016

Well since this is a new user's contest and like most folks, you all would love some more resources...

Here's a set of maps...for towels.

These are tiling maps, so plug them in to the various slots (normal, specular, etc) and for Iray use the options that come up when click the image in the Surface tab...select Image Editor and you will have your tiling options.  For most 3Delight shaders, there is just one tiling option.

Normal

Displacement

Specular

Render...

Just right click and save.  The images are CCO/Public Domain, so use them as you want, no credit needed.

For the 3Delight render I posted, I used a solid color in Diffuse, the normal, displacement and specular maps tiled a 8 V and 8 H tiles.

towel2_n.png
    512 x 512 - 196K
    towel2_h.png
    512 x 512 - 402K
    towel2_s.png
    512 x 512 - 415K
    towel.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 192K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49
    isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

OK, I've got them all in position.  Now I have to work on the arms and hands - seeya in a while...

I think this will be very good when you got all the arms and hands posed. Looking forward to see the next version.

A personal opinion: I don't know if it's because I got a weakness for redheads, but the red one really stands out from the rest. I'm definitely no expert on colour composition, but to me it feels like all the rest goes well with each other, even the purple one, but the red one is the odd one out, breaking an otherwise nicely flowing colour scheme.

But unless someone more knowledgeable confirms what I said, as always, please feel free to ignore me.wink

I think because the Red's tail is darker than the rest, it looks top heavy. Try viewing it with the Red at the bottom and it looks ok :)

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited April 2016

Wow...I started out with a simple idea, and it just kept morphing into something totally unexpected!

I tried to use some of the stuff we've been working on the past several months.  Lighting, Composition, Texturing, Posing...

Plus I did a bunch of stuff in post to get some of the other effects.

It's getting there...

visitation2.jpg
    900 x 683 - 278K
    Post edited by dHandle on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    dHandle said:

Wow...I started out with a simple idea, and it just kept morphing into something totally unexpected?

I think this looks totally amazing, good things come from the unexpected!!!

edited April 2016

Here is the start of my WIP, I do not know in which direction this is going to go but I am just starting with doing a portrait first. I am working on putting a scene around Vlad AKA Dracula that I just got today in the freebie section of the Daz Shop!!!! I am so excited!!!!

Vlad AKA Dracula Portrait.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
    Vlad AKA Dracula Portrait pt2.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
    Vlad AKA Dracula Portrait pt3.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
    mjc1016 said:

Well since this is a new user's contest and like most folks, you all would love some more resources...

These are tiling maps, so plug them in to the various slots (normal, specular, etc) and for Iray use the options that come up when click the image in the Surface tab...select Image Editor and you will have your tiling options.  For most 3Delight shaders, there is just one tiling option.

Normal

Displacement

Specular

Render...

Just right click and save.  The images are CCO/Public Domain, so use them as you want, no credit needed.

For the 3Delight render I posted, I used a solid color in Diffuse, the normal, displacement and specular maps tiled a 8 V and 8 H tiles.

Thank you so much for this MJC now I can make my own towels!!!!

The towel I rendered was a 5 minute job in Blender...a plane scaled 2x on the Y axis, then subdivided 12 cuts.  UV unwrapped it.  Set the shading to smooth, picked a couple of vertices, added them to a group.  Added a cloth modifier selected the group under Pinning and hit play (can hit bake, too) on the timeline.

After the drape was done, added a Subdivision modifier to divide and smooth it out even more.

Then exported as obj and imported it into Studio, added the maps and rendered. 

Without too much trouble you can add a couple of material zones to define a hem or 'band'  near the edges.

• bunglebungle Posts: 38
    edited April 2016

Looking for tips on Photorealism. I haven't really figured out what I'm doing with either DAZ or Photoshop. So far I am just incrementally tweaking to try to accomplish something photorealistic. I'm not sure what things I could try to add to the level of realism So far I have been mostly incrementally screen layering different diffusions and burns. I rendered with different temperatured emmissives on either side. I didn't add any DOF because the background wasn't crisp to start and I figured it would just mess up the window. How do I make this look like a picture? Thanks.

Here is the original render and the photoshoped version.

Render.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 638K
    Photoshop.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 506K
    Post edited by bungle on
    edited April 2016

I call this "The Briefing"

I am using DAZ Studio with postowork done in Adobe Lightroom

That is an amazingly really good render. I have a couple of comments:

1) I don't know if its intended, but the devilish stare on the underling's face looks like he's holding himself back from ripping the general's clothes off. (Maybe this is because I'm always looking for the story in the artwork.)

2) The way the light plays off the general's arm looks fantastic and highlights all the definition and veins, but I can't tell what the general is doing with his arm. The general's body language doesn't carry a message. I can't tell if they lost or won, if they're preparing an attack, planning to run for office, or conspiring to stick McElliot with latrine duty. Maybe something as simple as pointing to a location on the table or the screen, or sticking a knife into the table would give it that extra bit of story.

Post edited by bungle on
    bungle said:

Looking for tips on Photorealism. I haven't really figured out what I'm doing with either DAZ or Photoshop. So far I am just incrementally tweaking to try to accomplish something photorealistic. I'm not sure what things I could try to add to the level of realism So far I have been mostly incrementally screen layering different diffusions and burns. I rendered with different temperatured emmissives on either side. I didn't add any DOF because the background wasn't crisp to start and I figured it would just mess up the window. How do I make this look like a picture? Thanks.

Wish I could give you some advice. I think it looks amazing!

dHandle said:

Wow...I started out with a simple idea, and it just kept morphing into something totally unexpected!

I tried to use some of the stuff we've been working on the past several months.  Lighting, Composition, Texturing, Posing...

It's getting there...

VERY nice, dHandle!  She is reflective, the pose looks great, and I love the tunnel/time travel effect through/from the open door behind her.  This nearly monochromatic image reminds me of Tim Burton - now all you need is a small splash of color somewhere. 

Here is the start of my WIP, I do not know in which direction this is going to go but I am just starting with doing a portrait first. I am working on putting a scene around Vlad AKA Dracula that I just got today in the freebie section of the Daz Shop!!!! I am so excited!!!!

Yeah, Vlad's Castle will suit Vlad very nicely. 

I suggest you work on sinister.  The pose and expression you have is friendly and outgoing, like a politician!  Here's my description of what I see in my head:

Vlad is facing the viewer with one hand reaching towards us, as though he is using his power to beckon us forward.  Drop the chin, lower the inner brow and raise the outer.  Also raise the upper eyelids so we can see the whites along the top of his eyes.  Use mouth corners up/down to create a frown. 

Make his stance wide and bend his knees slightly - he should be leaning just a little forward.  Pull the shoulder with the extended hand towards us and drop it a little bit.  This will twist his body so that the opposite shoulder is facing away from us. 

Create tension in that outstretched arm; bend the elbow sharply, then bend the wrist slightly and the fingers sharply.  If you can picture this in your mind, then stand in front of a mirror and pretend you are Vlad for a minute - get mean.  Just think comic book villain and exaggerate a little. 

You can find a nice night photo for your background free at Pixabay.  Some rim lighting would be great as well. 

Rae134 said:
    isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

OK, I've got them all in position.  Now I have to work on the arms and hands - seeya in a while...

I think this will be very good when you got all the arms and hands posed. Looking forward to see the next version.

A personal opinion: I don't know if it's because I got a weakness for redheads, but the red one really stands out from the rest. I'm definitely no expert on colour composition, but to me it feels like all the rest goes well with each other, even the purple one, but the red one is the odd one out, breaking an otherwise nicely flowing colour scheme.

But unless someone more knowledgeable confirms what I said, as always, please feel free to ignore me.wink

I think because the Red's tail is darker than the rest, it looks top heavy. Try viewing it with the Red at the bottom and it looks ok :)

I did, Rae!  Several people suggested putting Red on the bottom and toning down her color.  I had posted another pic of my progress and it does indeed look better. 

mjc1016 said:

mjc1016 said:

Thanks MJC1016, this is great

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    dHandle said:

It's getting there...

Wow, indeed! dHandle, this is super good!  I love the echo of the figure going back.  Very Nice.

bungle said:

Photorealism is a hard thing to get a handle on and a lot of us don't succeed.  I can't give you any tips as I'm still learning that myself.  What I can tell you is: I like the posing of the two characters.  They interact well.  I don't see any blatant poke through although you may want to check out that bottom finger on her neck. With the shadows, it is hard to tell if it is sticking in her neck or resting on top.  You main issue with skin texture is probably lighting.  That is the thing that hangs most of us up when trying to get skin photo realistic.  I'm assuming that, if your aim is photorealism, you are rendering in Iray.  If not, you should tell us as I have no idea if it is even possible to do photorealism in 3Delight.  Not the render engine I favor and I'm still learning it.  If you can tell us what type of light set up you have we might be able to give tips.  After all that, I have to say, that I love the look of your postworked image.

Nice texture maps, mjc1016!

edited April 2016
    Photorealism is a hard thing to get a handle on and a lot of us don't succeed.  I can't give you any tips as I'm still learning that myself.  What I can tell you is: I like the posing of the two characters.  They interact well.  I don't see any blatant poke through although you may want to check out that bottom finger on her neck.

With the fingers, I wanted him to be be slightly squeezing her neck, but I'm not sure how well it came through.I used a very oily specularity for G3M and the fingers came out with a lot of shine. I enabled a smoothing modifier on G3F and and used G3M as the collision target. This left depressions in the throat.

Then I used a finger layer from a lower specularity render to darken his fingers slightly (to make them both higher contrast and more sinister) and also to remove some of the specularity.

Last I added a color smudge layer to lighten his fingertips to show squeezing, and to add whiteness to the depressions and redness around it, to give the illusion of squeezing.

With the shadows, it is hard to tell if it is sticking in her neck or resting on top. 

I'm guessing it doesn't quite work the way I intended. 

You main issue with skin texture is probably lighting. 

Yeah. I think I got pretty nice skin texture on G3M from the render, but overall from the initial render they still look like toons.

That is the thing that hangs most of us up when trying to get skin photo realistic.  I'm assuming that, if your aim is photorealism, you are rendering in Iray. 

Being new, I find 3Delight unbearable. If I do want a cartoon or rubber doll look, Iray does that better too. Its taken me a while to get a handle on the top coat layers, metalicity, IOR, and opacity, but I think I am starting be able to hammer my way through into getting something I like.

If you can tell us what type of light set up you have we might be able to give tips. 

My base render has an Iray skydome providing minimal light through windows. The primary light source is a 6500 temperature 2m emissive plane about 3 meters away (front and left) to avoid reflection in the window. I think it is set to 980000 cdm luminescence. The secondary lightsource is a 3000 temperature 2m emissive plane about a half meter from G3M's back set to 30000 cdm luminescence.

I also did a simple spotlight and a default dome render with the room and background hidden. I used these in some very low opacity screen layers in photoshop to add light depth in the postwork.

After all that, I have to say, that I love the look of your postworked image.

Thanks! I think I will give the fingers another try. The bra strap is also annoying me. I used 3 different deformers to try to make it look right and it still looks like garbage. I may have to learn blender to fix it.

Dimple.jpg
    200 x 200 - 33K
    fingers.jpg
    200 x 200 - 22K
    Smudge.jpg
    200 x 200 - 15K
    Post edited by bungle on
    edited April 2016

Photorealism is a hard thing to get a handle on and a lot of us don't succeed. 

I've been staring at it after your response, and I think I found what isn't right. I always struggle with eyes and I've used these eye settings before and I thought they came out right, but it was an outdoor render. I need to go back to the drawing board on these eyes. When I cover them, it is far more believable as a photo.

eyes.jpg
    500 x 500 - 103K
    Post edited by bungle on
    edited April 2016

So I reworked the fingers, removed some reflection from the sleeve, lightened G3F, and lowered the eye reflection. Does this work better?

ES16-Final2.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 694K
    Post edited by bungle on

Getting there...