April New User 3D Art Contest "Open Render" (WIP)

mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

New User's Contest - April 2016

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and  esha

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

Open Render:

This month we will be focusing on nothing! Well, that's not really true. It's an 'open render' with a loose theme of April Fool. But what that really means is POP QUIZ time...yep, you didn't know you were going to be tested on all of this, did you?

It's a review of the techniques discussed and used over the past several months...Lighting, Composition and Posing. One thing though, no recycling images from past contests. Make a new, fresh one...it's Spring (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) and everything in Nature is new, so think 'fresh' and foolish.

If you are a new user, or if you consider yourself a beginner at any of those topics, you are welcome to post your works in process (WIP) to this thread. I will be checking in on the WIP thread, as will the rest of the Community Volunteers, to provide feedback and try and help with anything you all may need so feel free to ask questions. Look in this thread (the WIP thread) for links to the previous month's contests, use the information links in those threads.

Once your image is finished, if you wish you may enter this month's New User Contest.  The entry thread is here.

To enter the contest, please post your completed image to the Entries Thread.

How to Use Your Software:

Previous contest links and information

January: Composition

February: Lighting

March: Posing

Use the links and guides posted in the previous contest threads for information and inspiration.

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Attention!

We have done some changes to the contest rules so it would be a great idea to eyeball them once again if you have been participating before,

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules

Closing Date: April 30, 2016.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69

Oh goodie!  Just so happens I was noodling an idea like this.....

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Woot Woot I have a few things I have been wanting try out so this month is going to be fun for sure!!!!

• SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110

Hello,

I worked on this image for the weekly PC contest and it will probably be one of my 2 entries.

I wonder if the filter actually improves my image or if a majority think it's better without?

The first is with and the second without :

Renegade raw

Renegade no raw

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks.

Rengade.jpg
    800 x 640 - 375K
    Rengade-noraw.jpg
    800 x 640 - 462K
  • Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49

I like it without (but I like bright colour :))

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Siotrad said:

Hello,

I worked on this image for the weekly PC contest and it will probably be one of my 2 entries.

I wonder if the filter actually improves my image or if a majority think it's better without?

I'm fairly sure that by entering it in the PC contest you disqualify it from this contest.

As for your question, I would prefer something in between the two but if I had to choose one I'd take the first. In the second one the people, especially the Vicky in the front, is too orange.

edited April 2016
    isidorn said:

I'm fairly sure that by entering it in the PC contest you disqualify it from this contest.

As for your question, I would prefer something in between the two but if I had to choose one I'd take the first. In the second one the people, especially the Vicky in the front, is too orange.

Well, i think that i'm good for the 2 contest but it had to be confirmed.

I also think that there are too many Orange in the original one ... the second has some realistic colors but i will try to mix the two ;) ...

Thanks

Rengade-mix.jpg
    800 x 640 - 390K
    Post edited by Siotrad on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Please check the rules, especially Rule 8 in the first section.

edited April 2016

Ok, so I just have to tell the truth, I started working on this for the PC Contest (was the only 2 in Brooks Marcoor corridor at The Beginning) and I further order use the 2 Contest And add the 2 "sith warriors".
    The Contest PC is not public because only members can see it and my images are in a private file of my Gallery.
    Also talking about the PC contet began March 30.

Also, I do not see anywhere that I can make an image of 2 different contests.

Anyway next time, I would be less honest if necessary ... there I request an opinion on the filter of my image and you just tell me that your interpretation of the rules, I can't present it ... but without comment the image ...

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    edited April 2016

"Spring Picnic" - I hope I'd covered the 3 main focus in this scene :), there is one light from the skydome.

April2016-NUC-Spring Picnic 1.jpg
    904 x 672 - 611K
    Kaliadder said:

Oh goodie!  Just so happens I was noodling an idea like this.....

I love the concept. Looking forward to see where you'll be going with this.

h_habash said:

"Spring Picnic" - I hope I'd covered the 3 main focus in this scene :), there is one light from the skydome.

Looks good. Just one detail that cought my eye. Although I definititely am no prude, I think the panty flashing might be a bit inappropriate for the cute and cozy setting. If dress morphs aren't doing the trick you might want to try adjust the pose or camera angle.

Siotrad said:

Ok, so I just have to tell the truth, I started working on this for the PC Contest (was the only 2 in Brooks Marcoor corridor at The Beginning) and I further order use the 2 Contest And add the 2 "sith warriors".
    The Contest PC is not public because only members can see it and my images are in a private file of my Gallery.
    Also talking about the PC contet began March 30.

Also, I do not see anywhere that I can make an image of 2 different contests.

Anyway next time, I would be less honest if necessary ... there I request an opinion on the filter of my image and you just tell me that your interpretation of the rules, I can't present it ... but without comment the image ...

You can always post renders here for opinions and advice. I can't see how trying to avoid the rules for contest entries would do anyone any good though.

I think you found a good colour in your third version, a nice middle point between the two first ones.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

Anybody, even the experienced can post to get help in this WIP thread. They just can't submit it if they aren't a new user to the theme.

• KaliadderKaliadder Posts: 69
    Siotrad said:

Hello,

Renegade raw

Renegade no raw

Thanks.

I'm curious ... What filter did you use?  

Personally, I rather like it both ways, but for different parts.  I love the filter 'cause it looks great for mood.  Unfortunately, it also dims the lightsabers and the floor lights.  You didn't say which tool you use, but in Photoshop you can erase sections of the layer than is being used as the filter.  What would it look like if you left the filter on, but erased the sections overlaying the sabers and floor lights?   Also, have you tried an in-between layer that applies a light gaussian blur to the sabers and lights (you might also have to use a mask to help out with that).

Just my thoughts.  Others may be able to take my thoughts and explain it better or give better ideas.

Kaliadder, I just now realized that the dancing dragon is in your signature. I thought it was an attachment (as a small picture at the bottom of a post usually is) for the project you had in mind for this contest when I saw it in your first post.blush

edited April 2016
    isidorn said:
     I can't see how trying to avoid the rules for contest entries would do anyone any good though.

I think you found a good colour in your third version, a nice middle point between the two first ones.

Thanks ... But its not about trying to avoid the rules ... That's about the interpretation of those rules ...

I started working on the 2 Brooke and marcoor corridor 1 day before the announcement of the "Free render".
    When I saw that the April contest reprenais previous 3 axes, I added both sith women and redid my composition.

I have, indeed, also posted the picture in the PC contest but I still do not see how it prevents me to compete here with this picture ... especially by reading the rules and particularly the 8 as m ' was suggested.

My mistake may be not be returned in the details of the progress of my image but I thought it would be necessary.

Now if this really "forbidden", let me know on clearly explaining why ... my mp available ...

Kaliadder said:

I'm curious ... What filter did you use?  

Personally, I rather like it both ways, but for different parts.  I love the filter 'cause it looks great for mood.  Unfortunately, it also dims the lightsabers and the floor lights.  You didn't say which tool you use, but in Photoshop you can erase sections of the layer than is being used as the filter.  What would it look like if you left the filter on, but erased the sections overlaying the sabers and floor lights?   Also, have you tried an in-between layer that applies a light gaussian blur to the sabers and lights (you might also have to use a mask to help out with that).

Just my thoughts.  Others may be able to take my thoughts and explain it better or give better ideas.

Thanks for the advice ;).

I used a camera raw filter available ... so no ... no mask layer over the filter.
    I must, however be able to play on the color selector or other settings.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Siotrad said:
    isidorn said:
     I can't see how trying to avoid the rules for contest entries would do anyone any good though.

Thanks ... But its not about trying to avoid the rules ... That's about the interpretation of those rules ...

I started working on the 2 Brooke and marcoor corridor 1 day before the announcement of the "Free render".
    When I saw that the April contest reprenais previous 3 axes, I added both sith women and redid my composition.

I have, indeed, also posted the picture in the PC contest but I still do not see how it prevents me to compete here with this picture ... especially by reading the rules and particularly the 8 as m ' was suggested.

Well, Rule #8 seems fairly clear to me, with no need for interpretation...

8. Please enter images created specifically for this contest and not previously available for public viewing.

If it's posted in another contest,  it is no longer specifically for this one.  

There is plenty of time left, so pick one contest to enter it in.

h_habash said:

isidorn said:

Looks good. Just one detail that cought my eye. Although I definititely am no prude, I think the panty flashing might be a bit inappropriate for the cute and cozy setting. If dress morphs aren't doing the trick you might want to try adjust the pose or camera angle.

I understand, I'll see what's the best to do with the dress/panty  issue, any other comments you or anyone see, please let me know. wink

mjc1016 said:

Well, Rule #8 seems fairly clear to me, with no need for interpretation...

8. Please enter images created specifically for this contest and not previously available for public viewing.

If it's posted in another contest,  it is no longer specifically for this one.  

There is plenty of time left, so pick one contest to enter it in.

Well ... If you can read what you quote, i said i made a new composition with two more models than the first "project".

So with your therms a new composition specifically for this one but as i used 2 items requiered for the PC contest, i posted it in too.
    And as, the PC contest are not a public area, and that's it a difference of 20 minutes between the 2 posts.

So, i know that my english is a realy bad one and i can have missanderstanding and i'm probably not as clear as i would ... but for me the 8 rules is respected with this picture. It had been made for this contest and can just complete in an other one ... ( a private one ...)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If it is a new render, with additional items...then, yes, it is a different render and is eligible to enter.

Well it is one render ... but one project with no render have envolved on this one.

I didn't have rendered for the first project because it wasn't finished when i modify it to make this contest with items whose alowed me to complete also in the PC Contest.

• posjonposjon Posts: 34

Hello all! :) ok So I've got a ne model created G2F named Amber Mae. I'm not sure if she will turn out a Heroin or a Villan. Starting to play with poses & lighting & here is my first render. Any and all feedback is welcome

Amber Mae 1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 206K
    edited April 2016

I managed to cover the panty by reducing the dress front flare (It's one of the dress controles), changed the camera angle and the sun position, added some small picnic props (water bottles and a book), and for the first time included my signature prop which I've created in carrara and added it to my DAZ props collections.

In my next render (which I'm working now) I'm adding some buidings in the back of the scene (I hope it'll work well).

April2016-NUC-Spring Picnic 2.jpg
    904 x 672 - 560K
    posjon said:

Hello all! :) ok So I've got a ne model created G2F named Amber Mae. I'm not sure if she will turn out a Heroin or a Villan. Starting to play with poses & lighting & here is my first render. Any and all feedback is welcome

It looks good but I think you need to increase the light intensity so we can see the figure in more details smiley

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,816
    edited April 2016
    Siotrad said:

Hello,

Renegade raw

Renegade no raw

Thanks.

Personally I like the more vibrant colors.

As for the discussion on the rules of the contest, I will contact you in private to discuss that with you and I ask that we please get back to helping each other with the images rather than discussing the rules.  smiley

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    h_habash said:
    posjon said:

It looks good but I think you need to increase the light intensity so we can see the figure in more details smiley

I agree with h_habash.  From what I can see looks good but definitely on the dark side.  Looking forward to your next version.

posjon said:

IMO the best characters are those balancing on the edge between Hero and Villain. There's nothing as boring as one dimensional flawless heroes or equally one dimensional super evil villains. Just my opinion though.

As for the render, I agree with h_habash that it needs more light.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited April 2016
    h_habash said:

I managed to cover the panty by reducing the dress front flare (It's one of the dress controles), changed the camera angle and the sun position, added some small picnic props (water bottles and a book), and for the first time included my signature prop which I've created in carrara and added it to my DAZ props collections.

In my next render (which I'm working now) I'm adding some buidings in the back of the scene (I hope it'll work well).

I am glad you fixed the skirt.  This is a very sweet scene.  I see you used a drinking fountian.  Well done.  I have had those things forever and still haven't found a use for them yet.

h_habash said:

You solved the panty issue in a good way. Always nice with clothing that has good adjustment morphs. Adding props is usually a good way to bring a scene more to life. You should probably consider adding some more. If those water bottles were all they brought to the picnic it's understandable they're giving each other so much attention. wink

It will be interesting to see what the buildings in the background will do to the scene. I think it looks very good as it is now, giving the feeling of a romantic secluded place with just sky (and water?) in the background. Lastly, the lights. This one looks a bit dark, but it's because I image the scene taking place in broad daylight. It works well for an evening/sunset scene but I don't think there's much else in the scene that indicates it would be that time of day.  And I realize now the first one probably was a bit too bright. So the lights might need some more consideration.

• posjonposjon Posts: 34
    h_habash said:
    posjon said:

h_habash Cool will do, I didn't go to bright to start wanting to see if I can get a night scene out of it. :)

isidorn lol I do agree :) Well I guess that is why her name Amber Mae. i.e. Amber maybe good or she maybe bad!

edited April 2016

Thanks Kismet and Isidorn, I've added the buildings to see what it'll look like, what do you think?, I've also changed the sun light a bit and added some small birds (Sparrow) brought from Poser contents.

April2016-NUC-Spring Picnic 3.jpg
    904 x 672 - 606K