Website Navigation Update/Testing 2023

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,551

I have gotten the sidebar a few times instead of the usual large dropdown menu, and I think I like the sidebar better

The area where the "Shop", "Technology" and "Community" is where I constantly go over them to get to the address bar or tabs and having the dropdown menu fill half of my screen, requiring effort to get rid of is just annoying.

Using Yandex on W7 (Opera based)

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 493

The whole site is spiraling out of control.  There is currently no forum search feature.  The Search box at the top of the forum pages is now a store search!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,912
    edited July 2023

GhostofMacbeth said:

Sven Dullah said:

Forums are suddenly next to impossible to use and navigate..just sayingindecision, but I guess that's not relevant...cough..

I am not really seeing any change. What is making them impossible to use?

the top right cog seems harder to reach for me

and much Cloudflare working but DAZ not 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2023

jjoyner said:

The whole site is spiraling out of control.  There is currently no forum search feature.  The Search box at the top of the forum pages is now a store search!

Well, on top of the unability to make attachments, the cloudflare errors and the frequent logging out , I now have a new supersmall font that I have problems reading, and the blue bar on top will scroll with the page instead of staying on top. Using Chrome on a Mac.

Edit: The forums even got my quote wrong, but never mind...

DAZ should take the site offline fore a month or three, have someone fix it (not AI this time) and take the hit! Ugh!

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

GhostofMacbeth said:

Sven Dullah said:

Forums are suddenly next to impossible to use and navigate..just sayingindecision, but I guess that's not relevant...cough..

I am not really seeing any change. What is making them impossible to use?

the top right cog seems harder to reach for me

and much Cloudflare working but DAZ not 

Yeah, forums got the new top bar now and the cog goes hiding underneath 

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,121

Sven Dullah said:

Well, on top of the unability to make attachments, the cloudflare errors and the frequent logging out , I now have a new supersmall font that I have problems reading, and the blue bar on top will scroll with the page instead of staying on top. Using Chrome on a Mac.

Same. Chome on Win 11. That scrolling blue bar is really irritating. 

Opera too angry

edited July 2023

butterflyfish said:

Sven Dullah said:

I don't have the problem of a scrolling blue bar or a small font on my Windows 10 laptop in Edge.  The issue does not appear for me in the Chrome, Firefox or DuckDuckGo browsers either.

Post edited by jjoyner on
    edited July 2023

jjoyner said:

butterflyfish said:

Sven Dullah said:

I don't have the problem of a scrolling blue bar or a small font on my Windows 10 laptop in Edge.  The issue does not appear for me in the Chrome, Firefox or DuckDuckGo browsers either.

Do you already see the new top-bar, the same as in the shop?

I got the new top-bar today, just a few hours ago. 

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 766

Sort by % off is broken. I used it almost every day. It was my primary means of finding the best deals. Now, with that broken, I am loosing interest in Daz store purchases.

edited August 2023

PerttiA said:

jjoyner said:

butterflyfish said:

Sven Dullah said:

Do you already see the new top-bar, the same as in the shop?

I got the new top-bar today, just a few hours ago. 

The blue and black bars in the forums looks the same to me as before with the exception that the forum Search box is now a store search.  The blue bar in my forums is not the same as the blue bar in the store.

Forum.jpg
    1622 x 648 - 146K
    Post edited by jjoyner on
  • RafaelRafael Posts: 125

I think the navigation has two problems.

It has no sense that you need to select twice the first menu option, for example, Community (1) to then select Community again (2)

And The fact that when I mouse over on the menu, it all fades out...(3) is a WTH? for me. There are better ways to highlight the mouse over option (4)

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,655

the blue forum navigation bar also scrolls away for me as I scroll down the page. Firefox W10. Annoying. Frustrating.

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495

I'm going to echo others' sentiments. I have the sidebar version. 

The scrolling blue bar in the forums is very annoying. 

The search in forums now searching the store is also very annoying. 

There is stilll no link to help in either the top bar or the sidebar. 

Not being able to center-click or right-click and open in new tab for the SHOP, TECHNOLOGY and COMMUNITY , on the top black bar is extremely annoying. It works for DOWNLOAD STUDIO and CART though. If you do it on ACCOUNT, it opens the page you're on in a new tab.

The sidebar is kind of slow to open, at least to me. Everything is clunkier. Click SHOP, wait for the sidebar, click SHOP again. Why??

They should have fixed the product categorization and search filters first, so the search works properly. and people can actually find what they're looking for. 

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,121

lukon100 said:

Sort by % off is broken. I used it almost every day. It was my primary means of finding the best deals. Now, with that broken, I am loosing interest in Daz store purchases.

Isn't that from the DAZ Deals browser add-on?  

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

So, since I apparently am an unwilling beta tester for the new store update, here's some feedback, DAZ:

Your new design might be just what I need to be able to stay out of here. Simply hostile!

Sven Dullah said:

So, since I apparently am an unwilling beta tester for the new store update, here's some feedback, DAZ:

Your new design might be just what I need to be able to stay out of here. Simply hostile!

your not wrong cheeky 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

Now that this crap is showing up in the forumas well - I'll be blunt. There WILL be a trivial, one-click way to shut this damn thing off, or I'm out of here. I'm not going to try retraining years of muscle memory to avoid the left end of the black bannerr line to avoid this abomination. If I cannot block it or turn it off with a single click anywhere on the screen then I don't see any reason to be here.

• What are we talking about? What are we trying to shut off?

• GhostofMacbeth said:

What are we talking about? What are we trying to shut off?

I suspect it's the text-based store UI - some of us get etxt, some of us get pictures as they see which version works best.

• You guys make it easier to not shop here by the day. I'm all for new and better if it serves a purpose. A shiny, variable UI that has repeative clicks to do a simple 1 click motion looks like your team doesn't know what it's doing. The visual style isn't really all the cool or modern either. The unity store just works and is easier to navigate and shop at. Rendo looks ancient, but works and is easy to navigate. "Outdated looking, but working" beats "Shiny, but doesn't work" any day of the week.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited August 2023

The blue bar with the cog on the right doesn't stay on the top of the page, it scrolls away, never to be seen again unless you scroll all the way back to the top of the page!  come on!  Keeping it in sight is not magic.  When you fix something, you're supposed to make sure that it doesn't break something else!  That's what I always had to ensure when I was a programmer!  Also, don't fix what isn't broken!  My team had three rules:

1. Make it WORK
    2. Make it work FAST
    3. THEN make it pretty

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

Richard Haseltine said:

GhostofMacbeth said:

What are we talking about? What are we trying to shut off?

I suspect it's the text-based store UI - some of us get etxt, some of us get pictures as they see which version works best.

If that's a back reference to me, it's the enormous graphic drop-down that covers slightly over half the screen on my laptop. I'm perfectly happy with the current (former?) text drop-downs that go away when you move the mouseaway from them.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518

Actually, this is a huge improvement because in the past the site updates were done during the falll sales and it was a disaster zone. My eye sockets were bleeding. So it's a good thing that it is happening now, before the big sales events. I am tightening my seat belt on and grimacing for a rough ride, knowing the road ahead will have less bumps.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,776

Not sure if this is a 'feature' or a glitch, but when I am in the store this morning, everytime I move pages, I have the coupon for Freja 8 and 9 popping out of the bell at me. I had to keep clicking the 'X' but it doesn't stop. Very irritating. I left the store. This is on my MacBookPro M1 on Google Chrome. 

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,084
    edited August 2023

Well, after two weeks of "testing" I can say that I hate the new side menu.

It feels like a port from mobiles with no regard for how desktop users navigate the pages: we open things in new tabs non-stop, use mouse wheel button (or at least RMB) to do it, and we have a cursor to hover over things. To have some menu open on the side instead, and have to close it (or click away) later, when we're done with it (new tabs, again?) is amassing to a frustrating experience, and the fact that I can't use the mouse wheel button on the top menu anymore to jump to the store's main page is annoying. And it used to be so easy to do the same with the Community menu (forum and gallery opened in two tabs with one hover and two clicks).

Adding extra clicks and mouse movements requirements does not help convenience or ease of use.

All in all, it feels counterintuitive to me to tailor this website to mobile at the cost of desktop users, seeing as DAZ offers a product that is desktop-only (rather than some social app people check on the go for 5 minutes at the time). It also feels like a slap in the face of said desktop users to make the website more suited to mobile devices. I understand that some people shop away from their desktops (checking offers at work, on the go, etc.), so a good mobile version is a must, but is it really the majority of the users/customers to cater solely and exclusively to them and butcher the desktop version of the website?

Post edited by joanna on
  • sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495

The first day I thought "This looks nice. I like it". Within hours I started to dislike it. I'm really annoyed with it now.

My own experience with situations like this whole wonky website thing is that some higher-ups get grand notions, usually because they have investors to answer to, but they have little or no experience in the actual work of implementing those things, and the grunts are overworked, frustrated, and stressed trying to meet unrealistic demands or time constraints. It's very often an upper-management issue. Whether that's what's going on at DAZ or not is anyone's guess. That's only been my experience (several times). I just know that the website functions worse now than it did before.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,814
    edited August 2023

I decided to take a more thorough look at the new top menu. Here's my assessment and feedback. BTW, the version I have is the one with a text side bar pop-out.:

1. Daz3D (far left) . Takes you to a page showcasing Daz products. That page has four or more links to "Free". All free links take you to same page as the "Download Studio" button. I'm assuming this works fine for a newbie as it's the page you see if you use daz3d.com to access the site. Not of any value to a current user.

2. Download Studio (on right). I would think this this would take you to a page where you can actually download Studio. Instead it's all about DIM. I was surprised it's all about DIM, but thinking about it, that's one way to download and install Studio. However, a newbie doesn't know that and no where on the page can I find info on how you actually get studio if you want it (like a link to the store page for studio, instructions to add it to your cart, checkout, download DIM or do a manual install, buy products, etc. Strange to say the least. A wasted link for me (I have DIM and Studio already) and likely meaningless to someone trying to get started. This link is needed for a new user but the page it leads to really needs to be revised to teach them what to do. As far as I can tell, every link to "Download Studio" on the site takes you to "Download DIM".

3. Shop, Technology, and Community (on left). Takes you to the same pop-out menu with the related subsection expanded. Accessing anything then requires navigating to the left, finding the right word and doing a second click. It works but I'd much prefer a drop down menu when you roll over or click on the menu bar word, then it's an easy move down to click on the link. Many many websites use this approach. In fact, the Account link on this page does this exact thing.

4. Other links are fine and work OK.

Summary, the Download page needs a major overhaul if it's indeed meant for new users. The DIM info is fine, it's the missing info on how to actually get started with Studio and Daz.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • I just want the blue bar back in the forums.  Navigating is horrible from thread to thread, scrolling up.  This was fixed why it break again.  Ugh. Guess sumin' didnt get caffeinated enough this week. Bummer.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I'm surprised this experiment is continuing.

They gave me the top menu thingy.

I'm now becoming conditioned to moving my mouse up and down the left and right side borders, so I don't trigger the massive pictures at the top.