Website Navigation Update/Testing 2023

Comments

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 494
    edited July 2023

NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

@barbult said:

If I click on the word Community on the top black and white text banner, it displays an image that implies that I can access the Daz forums from inside Daz Studio. Is that "a thing", or is the image just misleading? This is what I am talking about. I added the red annotation to draw attention to what I am describing.

My recommendation is to hover your mouse over Community and then right click on the Forums panel and open Forums in a new tab or window. Then, moving your mouse away from the bloated drop-down menu should make it retract.

Barbult was questioning the implication that Studio could directly access the forums. The Help browser can open the wiki pages from the web, but it can't load the store or forum pages (anymore?, never tried it before). The ReadMe pages have a specific style probably designed specifically to work in the Hep browser .

Maybe that amorphous purple blob is "the Cloud" being asked a question?

OK.  I misunderstood her post.  But ... I can already access the forums via Daz Studio by way of Help/Online Resources/DAZ 3D Forums.  I don't know if this is new or not. 

Forums via DS.jpg
    1215 x 1041 - 288K
    Post edited by jjoyner on
  • NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

@barbult said:

If I click on the word Community on the top black and white text banner, it displays an image that implies that I can access the Daz forums from inside Daz Studio. Is that "a thing", or is the image just misleading? This is what I am talking about. I added the red annotation to draw attention to what I am describing.

My recommendation is to hover your mouse over Community and then right click on the Forums panel and open Forums in a new tab or window. Then, moving your mouse away from the bloated drop-down menu should make it retract.

Barbult was questioning the implication that Studio could directly access the forums. The Help browser can open the wiki pages from the web, but it can't load the store or forum pages (anymore?, never tried it before). The ReadMe pages have a specific style probably designed specifically to work in the Hep browser .

I think it is conceptual rather than a preview of an actual feature, there uis no sign, to me, of anything that could be read that way in the change log.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

NorthOf45 said:

barbult said:

On my laptop, those giant images drop down and cover the entire screen below the browser menus. I can't see anything else, and it is hard to get rid of them. I don't know what magic movement makes them go away. I don't know how to keep them from coming back and covering everything again. The Daz site is pretty much unusable on that laptop, because everything keeps getting covered up. It is frustrating enough to make me just go read the Google News instead.

I found that moving the mouse over the right side of the toolbar, going up or down, over by the search box and farther to the right, will make it go away.

Thank you. That is the magic motion. Any time I want to get rid of those images or go back up to the browser menus or toolbars without triggering them again, I have to mouse over to the right. Not very efficient, but at least effective.

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

jjoyner said:

@barbult said:

I think it is conceptual rather than a preview of an actual feature, there uis no sign, to me, of anything that could be read that way in the change log.

NorthOf45 understood my question. Richard convinced my there was no forum link in DS that I was unaware of. I will just continue to use my browser bookmark to access the forums. It is the most efficient way to get there. (here). Thanks for responding, guys.

@barbult said:

NorthOf45 understood my question. Richard convinced my there was no forum link in DS that I was unaware of. I will just continue to use my browser bookmark to access the forums. It is the most efficient way to get there. (here). Thanks for responding, guys.

I can access the forums from within Daz Studio.

• hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited July 2023

Now the DAZ webpage flow is back to the old flow which did not work properly when the browser is half screen of full HD (960 px). I have to reduce the webpage size to 80% to obtain proper flow of the webpage items but then everything is more difficult to read.

In addition, for the love of dog, please please please, get rid of the GIANT pop down banner.

Post edited by hjake on

jjoyner said:

@barbult said:

How? Do tell!

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,518
    edited July 2023

I won't go into details or elaborate on this, because it's like beating a dead horse, but unfortunately I have resorted to using developer tools to inspect & delete some elements. I am in "data-usertestgroup="b" and my span class is mobile depite the fact I have dual 38" LG 4k curved  monitors.

@DAZ_ann0314 Just a thought . . . did you guys get the user test groups confused? Are the small screen that are complaining usertestgroupA? Should they be usertestgroupb? And, should big screens be usertestgroupA? Because if you guys have it right this feel so-o-o-o-o wrong.  Too time consuming to even respond-engage in the testing.

Just an FYI.The web development team, if collecting data on user activity, should rustle up a privacy policy and a research  consent form, as none of us volunteered for this and different users from different countries have different privacy laws like California has CalOPPA & CPRA. I personally couldn't care less. I think Daz is a great company with ethical intentions so test away on me, but not all shoppers see eye to eye.

store issues.JPG
    3229 x 1432 - 331K
    store issues2.JPG
    1642 x 1135 - 95K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on

barbult said:

jjoyner said:

@barbult said:

How? Do tell!

I can already access the forums via Daz Studio by way of Help/Online Resources/DAZ 3D Forums.  I don't know if this is new or not. 

Forums via DS.jpg
    1215 x 1041 - 288K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I liked prior site better. The menus seems sort of very, very slow, like on sites with tons of javascript and massive javascript  based opensource helper libraries. 

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

Could you possibly make the upper left corner auto-scrolling announcement windows be stoppable so that a person can take notes from it? When you move your mouse away from the window in order to take down the details, like what vendors are participating for example, you lose the thing off to other windows. I often need to check a wishlist or my bank balance or whatever in order to make plans based on what may be in a sale. Thanks.

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

P.S. - I've been busy. What happened to the gallery indication of what props were used? I really need that!!! I can't tell you how many items I've bought based on images in the gallery.

jjoyner said:

barbult said:

jjoyner said:

@barbult said:

How? Do tell!

I can already access the forums via Daz Studio by way of Help/Online Resources/DAZ 3D Forums.  I don't know if this is new or not.

Well, how about that! I've never seen that before, but there it is in my menus, too. Even Richard didn't seem to be aware of that. It just opens my default browser directly into the forums.

• ArtAngel said:

I won't go into details or elaborate on this, because it's like beating a dead horse, but unfortunately I have resorted to using developer tools to inspect & delete some elements. I am in "data-usertestgroup="b" and my span class is mobile depite the fact I have dual 38" LG 4k curved  monitors.

@DAZ_ann0314 Just a thought . . . did you guys get the user test groups confused? Are the small screen that are complaining usertestgroupA? Should they be usertestgroupb? And, should big screens be usertestgroupA? Because if you guys have it right this feel so-o-o-o-o wrong.  Too time consuming to even respond-engage in the testing.

A and B are text/graphical UIs, not mobile vs desktop - though the issue with having the wrong type set there is certainly a good thing to flag (Daz does seem to be reading this, but a ticket would probably be welcome).

Just an FYI.The web development team, if collecting data on user activity, should rustle up a privacy policy and a research  consent form, as none of us volunteered for this and different users from different countries have different privacy laws like California has CalOPPA & CPRA. I personally couldn't care less. I think Daz is a great company with ethical intentions so test away on me, but not all shoppers see eye to eye.

As far as I understand it they are collecting aggragate, anonymised data rather than tracking individuals - as they, and other sites, already do for general use.

• hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited July 2023

HURRAY!!!!

The GIANT top of page pop up image menu is gone. The webpage is flowing properly on a half screen and the blueish top bar for navigating to store categories is back.

.... ugh ... I spoke too soon. The GIANT pop down menu is still there!

I see why the page flow is not working properly.  When the DAZ Deal items get added to the filter list (e.g. Only show wishlist) the row does not re-flow so the page is widened and you have to scroll right to see the "sort by filter"

Post edited by hjake on
  • Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 461
    edited July 2023

Good gravy, that enormous pop-down menu is starting to drive me bonkers.

On Firefox, every time you mouse up to the tab bar... DROP DOWN. When you mouse back to the main screen below, DROP DOWN.

I've seen that wire mesh head about 8,000 times this week.

Post edited by Blando Calrissian on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

I've reached the point - the drop down menu set is just too much. It's too obtrusive - too dark, covers way too much of the page; too easy to trigger, and too hard to get rid of. Frankly, I don't understand what problem this "solution" is trying to solve; my current solution if this is triggered by moving the mouse up, is to contiinue up to the tab and close it.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,340

NorthOf45 said:

barbult said:

On my laptop, those giant images drop down and cover the entire screen below the browser menus. I can't see anything else, and it is hard to get rid of them. I don't know what magic movement makes them go away. I don't know how to keep them from coming back and covering everything again. The Daz site is pretty much unusable on that laptop, because everything keeps getting covered up. It is frustrating enough to make me just go read the Google News instead.

I found that moving the mouse over the right side of the toolbar, going up or down, over by the search box and farther to the right, will make it go away.

And I have found that if I draw a circle around myself with a bloody sword at midnight at a crossroads on a full moon, invoking the Great Hunter three times, it goes away  wink

• namffuak said:

I've reached the point - the drop down menu set is just too much. It's too obtrusive - too dark, covers way too much of the page; too easy to trigger, and too hard to get rid of. Frankly, I don't understand what problem this "solution" is trying to solve; my current solution if this is triggered by moving the mouse up, is to contiinue up to the tab and close it.

I assume they just want to let us know that "Daz Studio empowers users to easily create breathtaking 3D renders" in case you've forgotten that sometime in the last 30 seconds.
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

I don't know when or if the search results presentation has changed, but it is still seriously messed up. No matter how many I select to display per page (40/60/80) there is always 50 per page. What is annoying is that the number of pages changes appropriately, but items are repeated on the next page if 60 or 80 are selected, but some are missing if you select 40. I never did trust those results, and I still have no reason to.

edited July 2023

The store can't even sort by Daz Originals anymore.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 004119.png
    928 x 792 - 283K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

@NorthOf45 reported it

@barbult is working for me atm using Chrome. What browser are you using so I can test it from there?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,551

When I filter the store to show only Daz Originals, the "dForce MKTG 3 in 1 Lace Dress Outfit for Genesis 9, 8.1 and 8 Female" is also shown, even when it's not DO.
    There are also other non-DO items that are shown, and have been shown for at least a couple of months.

Using Yandex on W7 here at home
    Using Chrome on W10 at work, and I see the same there.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,440

I can confirm that the same item also shows up when filtering by Daz Originals in Safari, and that it's the only non-DO on the first page for me.

• xyer0 said:

richardandtracy said:

I like it. Think I have failed to spend 50% of this month's budget due to the site being slightly more awkward to navigate to things I like. So.. I have money left and that makes me happy. Regards, Richard.

I must concur. I'm at 25% of my regular Daz budget, and I probably won't exceed 30%. Also, I'm so accustomed to the store search not functioning properly for the past 2+ years, I don't even consider using it now that it works. 

Yes, totally agree, a minimum of 2 clicks to do anything useful is tedious and extremely off putting.

The whole user journey is flawed, from Login it should be easy to get to the Shop, isn't that where Daz makes its Money?.

Nope you get a very pretty and useless page and to get to get to the "Shop" you either have to scroll down to the 'Inspiration Starts Here' and click again or click on 'Shop' and then click again. That is 3 clicks from submitting your credentials.

Okay so the layout is pretty, for first time users, regulars are not interest in the elevator statement they come on site to shop.

The big logo on the top left doesn't take you anywhere usefull either ...

I have more or less stopped browsing the site, I get Daz and 3rd Party notifications and only look at the specific things in the notifications taht catch my attention; doing anything else is way to tedious

frank0314 said:

@NorthOf45 reported it

@barbult is working for me atm using Chrome. What browser are you using so I can test it from there?

I am using Firefox on Windows 10.
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,814

My two cents:

1. I frequently want to go to what I consider the shop's home page (recent promotion photos, photo links to free stuff, grab bag, etc.). Now, instead of 1-click on Shop at the top, I have to do that then move to the left and find Shop All and do a second click. No reason for this daily or multiple times a day inconvenience. Add back a single-click direct link to the shop's home page.. 

2. On the top menu bar "Download Studio" is a wasted link and space for anyone who already is a user. I haven't needed that link for more than a decade. I can see why it would be helpful for a new user but only for a short time. It would be better to dedicate the space it uses with a direct link to the store home page as commented on in #1. When someone is signed in with their account you know who they are and when they became members so make your menu dynamic.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Forums are suddenly next to impossible to use and navigate..just sayingindecision, but I guess that's not relevant...cough..

RGcincy said:

My two cents:

1. I frequently want to go to what I consider the shop's home page (recent promotion photos, photo links to free stuff, grab bag, etc.). Now, instead of 1-click on Shop at the top, I have to do that then move to the left and find Shop All and do a second click. No reason for this daily or multiple times a day inconvenience. Add back a single-click direct link to the shop's home page.. 

I have the DAZ3D store homepage bookmarked so that when I click it, I land on the store homepage.  Unless I get a menu that pops out from the left, from any other site page, when I click on Shop (regardless of whether the pages uses the huge drop-down menu or not), I'm taken to the store homepage.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,554

Sven Dullah said:

Forums are suddenly next to impossible to use and navigate..just sayingindecision, but I guess that's not relevant...cough..

I am not really seeing any change. What is making them impossible to use?