Website Navigation Update/Testing 2023

Comments

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,099
    edited July 2023

I've just spent the last couple of hours scouring the store, category by category, looking for sale items by Genesis generation that I'd overlooked while shopping earlier in the day the hard, old-fashioned way (ie, looking through 80 pages with 120 items, which I could only usefully narrow down by artist or Genesis figure), and as long as items are properly categorized so you're seeing everything in its tidy category, this is a vast improvement.

I get that the pop-up stuff when accessing the menu is new and a bit distracting; and god only knows what this looks like on a cell phone - I don't even carry a cell phone anymore so I can't comment to that.

I am using Windows 10 (ETA: on a traditional desktop computer) and primarily use Edge, though I nominally tested in Chrome. I found the sudden change slightly disorienting for the first few minutes, but after I'd used it a bit longer, I thought it was easy to use. I am not seeing issues with getting to the main Shop with one click, either by clicking "Shop" and waiting a few seconds, or hovering over Shop and choosing "Shop All." Likewise, hover over Community and choose "Forums" - not really any harder to navigate to the forums on arriving than it was before.

Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,084

AlmightyQUEST said:

What side menu? Are you getting the mobile display on a desktop?

Yes, I'm getting a side (mobile?) menu on desktop.

On desktop I hove over it to get the menu with the pictures, if I click on community I go to the community page and not a menu.

*And I ask because I'm wondering if they are testing multiple options, or if there's just weird caching going on or something else.

Hovering doesn't do anything in my browser. Clicking opens the side menu that actually also conceals the top menu which I personally find annoying. I was in one place and the website forces me to hop onto another. It doesn't matter that it's close, I'm still annoyed.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Is there supposed to be a difference between "Shop All" and "Sales and Promotions"? If, so I don't see it.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

marble said:

Is there supposed to be a difference between "Shop All" and "Sales and Promotions"? If, so I don't see it.

On the graphic menu, there is no "Sales and Promotions" tile, but there is one called "Learn About DAZ+" (goes to DAZ+ page).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

I see the interface with the images at the top, no menu along the side. I am on a desktop Windows 10, with Firefox browser.
    The  site now needs a seizure warning. Moving the mouse across the Shop/Technology/Community menu, and the huge images below each menu item, causes very disturbing rapid flashes of imagery going dim and bright. The images aren't very indicative of what the category is anyway. They only distract. Plain text would work fine and be less disturbing. Gaudy doesn't mean better. You know, K.I.S.S.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218
    edited July 2023

By the way, if you are going to solicit user feedback in the forum, you need a forum that works! I got 4 gateway errors trying to type the simple paragraph above, We can't upload screenshots of problems we see. Even personal messages are failing from time to time now, Sometimes we can't even load the forum to read it, because of network errors. I know that "Daz is aware of the forum problems". but they don't communicate anything about plans to fix the forum. They leave us in the dark as the forum get worse and worse.

Post edited by barbult on
  • I observe what I call a re-bug. (No, not officially, but it's what it is.) There was an issue for a while that when you looked at an item on a page past page 1, you'd get thrown back on page 1 when going back from looking at the item. That has been fixed for a while but appears to have resurfaced with this change. This is a nuisance bug to anyone who likes to scroll through multiple pages of items and open items for a closer look.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Tropical Transcantia Plants does not show up on new storefront, but it shows up in https://www.daz3d.com/plants and the DAZ+ page. However, this category seems to be unreachable because the Places/Nature category doesn't exist.

As well, a couple of other items don't seem to be on the storefront but exist in the above category, such as Perseus Indoor Park (https://www.daz3d.com/perseus-indoor-park)

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

joanna said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

On desktop I hove over it to get the menu with the pictures, if I click on community I go to the community page and not a menu.

*And I ask because I'm wondering if they are testing multiple options, or if there's just weird caching going on or something else.

Hovering doesn't do anything in my browser. Clicking opens the side menu that actually also conceals the top menu which I personally find annoying. I was in one place and the website forces me to hop onto another. It doesn't matter that it's close, I'm still annoyed.

Yes, sorry I don't know if this thread got split from another one or what happened earlier, I wasn't seeing all the posts here. They are testing two different formats, and I can tell from what you're describing and the screenshots that I wouldn't like that format either.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

One little thing I find a little annoying is when you pass the mouse over the Daz header in an upwards direction, the graphic pop-up menu persists if you go past the header, instead of going away like when you go down over the Daz header, then beyond the menu.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited July 2023

I have the text-based navigation, and it took me a few minutes to figure out that I had to click "shop all" in the side menu to navigate to the front page. If I was a new site user, it might not occur to me to click that until I got more familiar with the products in dedicated categories, and I can see someone easily missing the fact that there is a front page with new item promos and sale info (there is the sales and promotions category on the sidebar, but wow, it is a way different experience to not immediately see the new stuff).

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

joanna said:

I don't like this so far, because the UI feels less efficient:

• clicking on "Community" which is fairly into the middle of the screen opens a side bar that forces me to move my mouse way back to the left and figure out more complex menu that doesn't only contain Community submenus but also all the others, so I have to navigate down to the Community again (I've already picked "Community", so why do I get all the options once more?).
    • similarly, clicking on "Store" doesn't bring me to store but instead opens a menu where I can click "shop all" to actually browse the store which means I now need two clicks and more movement across the screen to get to the store's main page instead of one.

I want to say "I'm sure there are some benefits to the new layout", but so far, I'm failing to see them. Maybe it's the categories, but I gave up on using them as the base for navigation so long time ago, I didn't even bother to check. I might have a look to see if they're less useless (filled with irrelevant items) than they used to be.

Edited to add: Chrome browser, 24" screen, and I only get the side menu (not that I think that the big picture one would be much better).

+1

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

Clicking the shop button on the top bar with the scroll to open in a new tab now opens a blank page.

Sorting from low to high no longer shows the free + item (haven't purchased it yet and it's not there).

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,817

i don't like the popping up side bar.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,551

NorthOf45 said:

One little thing I find a little annoying is when you pass the mouse over the Daz header in an upwards direction, the graphic pop-up menu persists if you go past the header, instead of going away like when you go down over the Daz header, then beyond the menu.

This 

• TheLionTheLion Posts: 24
    edited July 2023

I like the new color-scheme and that in combination with font gives it a modern look-and-feel. It also feels a little bit more fluent.

There are couple of things I noticed that I don’t like however:

• The Help link seems to be missing from the top-bar. I always used this to get to the support area and go to the ticket site from there.
    • The cart no longer shows the total number of items in the cart when you have more than 9 items in it (simply shows 9+). If I temporarily have to move several items out of the cart to buy a single item first (for example a Lightning Deal before it times out while I’m still on the fence of the other items), then I often used this counter to check if I placed everything back after purchase. Now I’ll have to manually count the items if there are more than 9.

On an aside: While you're working on the website, I also noticed a bug in the Wishlist. If you try to clear your wishlist, it does this item-by-item in the background. For some reason the server only seems to handle around 5 of those requests. So instead of clearing the wishlist it just removes a couple at a time. With a large wishlist (mine has over 400 items in it), this means you have to execute it a lot of times to actually get it cleared. A single server-call would probably be faster and better for this.

joanna said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

Same here, using FireFox. Switched to Chrome and when I'm not logged in I get the dropdown menu's just like others describe, but when I login I get the side menu's. Feels like A/B testing.

I was going to say I dislike the side-menu on desktop since I now have to click twice to go to the shop mainpage (shop in header opens side, then I have to click on Shop All to actually go to the shop). But, with the dropdown menu's on Chrome I noticed it's still a single click on desktop.

Post edited by TheLion on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,340

I came, I saw - and didn't get in.... 

Is the fashionable tiny font in the header meant as a joke? In general: What was practical for the user had to go, didn't it? What am I supposed to do with this bell symbol, for example?

The fact that the login icon has disappeared bothers me a lot. When I wanted to log in today, I first had to search a long time for the access, and then I had to go through 3 to 4 stations until I finally got to the shop page. It may be that this is still a teething problem (as always, the product matures with the customer, doesn't it?), but so far I have not been able to discover any great improvement.

• chanurchanur Posts: 46

Why do I have to click on 'search' each and every time to get the searchbox? Before the change the searchbox was available to use right from the start and much more comfortable.

• Beyond_DreamsBeyond_Dreams Posts: 49
    edited July 2023

500 server errors trying to add message to forum thread when trying to post screen shot.

Okay, as no pics allowed currently. Search for "Trousers". No filters, fresh search from store front. Results : 6 Search for "Pants": 93

Post edited by Beyond_Dreams on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,340

joanna said:

I don't like this so far, because the UI feels less efficient:

• clicking on "Community" which is fairly into the middle of the screen opens a side bar that forces me to move my mouse way back to the left and figure out more complex menu that doesn't only contain Community submenus but also all the others, so I have to navigate down to the Community again (I've already picked "Community", so why do I get all the options once more?).
    • similarly, clicking on "Store" doesn't bring me to store but instead opens a menu where I can click "shop all" to actually browse the store which means I now need two clicks and more movement across the screen to get to the store's main page instead of one.

I want to say "I'm sure there are some benefits to the new layout", but so far, I'm failing to see them. Maybe it's the categories, but I gave up on using them as the base for navigation so long time ago, I didn't even bother to check. I might have a look to see if they're less useless (filled with irrelevant items) than they used to be.

+ 100! 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,913
    edited July 2023

I thought my browser was acting up so tried going to the store on 3 different ones Chrome, Edge and Opera before I saw this thread cheeky

how do I search by vendor?

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,747

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I thought my browser was acting up so tried going to the store on 3 different ones Chrome, Edge and Opera before I saw this thread cheeky

Can't you search for Artist in near top left like usual.

Besides I can hoover over 'shop' in top line and then get an option further down for 'vendors'.

Another thing I tried to go to Clothing + Accessories > Clothing but the clothing didn't include those from the last couple of days?! 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,913

felis said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Can't you search for Artist in near top left like usual.

Besides I can hoover over 'shop' in top line and then get an option further down for 'vendors'.

Another thing I tried to go to Clothing + Accessories > Clothing but the clothing didn't include those from the last couple of days?! 

thanks, yes wanted page with them all alphabetically  

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited July 2023

On a desktop, and I don't like the sidebar.  It's annoying, doesn't feel natural, feels like I'm getting spammed when it pops up, and adds one more click away from the Shop.

And the text at the top of the page where is says "Shop Technology Community" is too tiny, compared to before, which was larger and more comfortable to read.  Nope, don't like it.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,261
    Being able to sort characters by gender presentation is welcome. Not being able to sort clothing the same way means visually searching for something suitable for masculine characters through pages of clothing explicitly made for feminine characters.
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

I feel like there's so many more unnecessary clicks to get to where I want to go. 

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495
    edited July 2023

ioonrxoon said:

Clicking the shop button on the top bar with the scroll to open in a new tab now opens a blank page.

Sorting from low to high no longer shows the free + item (haven't purchased it yet and it's not there).

It's because it's a plant and there isn't a plant category. I was only able to get to it from my purchase history. I don't know how to put the link to the post it was mentioned in.

Post edited by sazzyazzca on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

benniewoodell said:

I feel like there's so many more unnecessary clicks to get to where I want to go. 

Yes, this.  Why make something more cumbersome for the user?
    I like the list with the categories ... it narrows the search criteria a lot.

Why doesn;t the site open to the front page? You have to click SHOP ALL to open the front page ... non intuitive. Call it FRONT PAGE or something, but why not just open the site to the front page?  

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,123

Find it hard to get upset about it at the moment. It's a relatively incremental change that I can see here in the UK, affecting the shop only at the moment.

1. The sales page font feels a bit smaller - presumably based on the assumption my screen grew last night, but unfortunately it didn't. So it feels as if I'm squinting a bit more. Or maybe I aged lots last night.
    2. It's good that DAZ Central has been removed and replaced with DIM as the first introduction people have to downloading Studio.
    3. Otherwise that huge menu-image bar that drops down is an irritant, but a darned sight less intrusive than most/many website ones. If the DAZ website wants to cut my screen real-estate down with that image bar, it only reduces the amount of potentially attractive purchases I can see, which may have a knock on with reduced sales. However, I'm not one to complain - as it helps me hang onto my money. As a sales gambit, my inner cheapskate is all for making the shop totally impossible to see with ever bigger dropdown banners.
    4. The speed at which the menu-image bar drops down fast enough to be triggered when moving the mouse to & from the browser's back button - might be better if it took a little longer before it drops down so a fast sweep across it doesn't trigger it.

One thing I did notice last night was that even in 'Desktop View' on an Andriod Tablet, I could not see the 'Required Products' line on a sale page even on those where I knew it existed. That occurred on a tablet with an 800 pixel width. Might be worth seeing if it was a changeover glitch or permanent. If permanent, it could be a problem as it's not visible in the standard mobile view either.

Regards,

Richard

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,731

I'm on Julius 9 HD character page. I click on "Morphs" on the blue sub-header which reads "3D Models > People > Morphs > Julius 9 HD." And I'm taken to Tattoos and Makeup, which has a blue sub-header that reads "3D Models > Clothes > Accessories > Tattoos and Makeup."

AJC Pulse Outfit is erroneously found in Figure Genesis 9 Humans category.

Imperial Cadet Bundle, Ajax OutfitHnc dForce V-Neck Knit Outfits, erroneously found in Figure Genesis 8.1 Humans category.

Arianna 8.1 are Torian 8.1 are missing from Figure Genesis 8.1 Humans category.

HD Add-Ons NOT found in their Core Figure's category: Crow 8.1, Assassin 8.1, Arianna 8.1, Noa 8.1, Torian 8.1, Necromancer 8.1, Arcadia 8.1, Kola 8.1, Teen Kola 8.1, Clara 8.1, Rosa Maria 8.1, Pablo 8.1, Alex Capital 8.1, Bonnie 8.1, Jinx Jones 8.1, Wolfgang 8.1, Zale 8.1, Catty 8.1, Fred 8.1, Jada 8.1, Jazz 8.1, Jacqueline 8.1, Brooke 8.1, Torment 8.1, Michael 8.1, Victoria 8.1

HD Add-Ons FOUND in their Core Figure's category: Merlin 8.1, Kento 8.1, Leanne 8.1, Senator Greaves 8.1, Hans 8.1, Ebenezer 8.1, Noska 8.1,