DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,370
  • In the cart already. 

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    edited July 2023
    Looks quite nice - and in the cart - but what's with newer (non-DO) Design Anvil products not having the option for interactive licences? I've noticed some PAs releasing without the usual options lately, and it seems bizarre to reduce both potential usefulness and revenue in this fashion. (To be clear, I'm hoping for some insight from DA themselves, as they've posted to this thread.)

It doesn't matter all that much to me as I'm not planning to make a 3D game, and the standard license suffices for visual novels (a potential interest), but the situation does seem odd to me - and given two roughly equivalent products, I'd likely choose the one with more options for licensing, on the off chance of needing such at some point.

Anyway, I'm happy to see more releases for DH3! It's been a while since so many of a day's new releases caught my eye. :)
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • Hi all, I hope you like the new stuff that came out today for Daz Horse 3. 

I'm always happy to read any feedback you may have so feel free to post anything here in regards. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

I have a few other things that I'm also working on for Horse 3, but I will keep them under wraps for now. ;)

@doubledeviant - This was just an oversight, I will raise a ticket and get the extended licenses added as soon as I can. I agree more options for content usage are always a good thing.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

Thank you, DA. Still hoping for a mane and tail.

• @xyer0 It's on the list of things I would like to do for Horse 3. Both a card and Dforce one if I get the time.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,027

Went into my cart, then I looked! Oh, my. Thank you Sir.

• vwrangler said:

And it seems that support for Horse 3 has appeared.

Nice to see, but those new morph and shape packs... YIKES! I appreciate the PA's efforts, but the morph and shape packs are ( to be polite) way less than accurate. I would LOVE to support Horse 3 and the PA's who are making content as I do a LOT of equestrian art. But I just CAN'T- sorry.

• semperequstri said:

vwrangler said:

Nice to see, but those new morph and shape packs... YIKES! I appreciate the PA's efforts, but the morph and shape packs are ( to be polite) way less than accurate. I would LOVE to support Horse 3 and the PA's who are making content as I do a LOT of equestrian art. But I just CAN'T- sorry.

I can't imagine DA, or Daz, would be willing to do a full rework but if you can point out soem of the issues it may be possible to offer workarounds or incorporate them into a new product of some kind.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,682

Richard Haseltine said:

semperequstri said:

vwrangler said:

I can't imagine DA, or Daz, would be willing to do a full rework but if you can point out soem of the issues it may be possible to offer workarounds or incorporate them into a new product of some kind.

This would also be really helpful for people like me who don't know much about horses. Could you just elaborate on what's striking you the most as being inaccurate? Because being the clueless no-horsey that I am, I thought it all looked rather fine!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,237

Gogger said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Keep an eye out for something from DesignAnvil ;-) Teaser posted over at DA :-)

Bunch of new horse stuff! Yayy!

https://www.daz3d.com/da-ultimate-shape-pack-for-horse-3--breeds

https://www.daz3d.com/the-da-daz-horse-3-pro-material-set

https://www.daz3d.com/da-ultimate-morph-pack-for-daz-horse-3

Yeah! And with all those nice discounts price came out pretty good too. [for once I actually had a few points that worked!]

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

woth all the negativity on the H3, I just staying with H2..BUT, a horse is a horse, as far as I can see. Overall H3 looks pretty good to me, but the only horses I've seen are mainly in parades and on TV ... a horse... different size, color, some with different shape. 

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 836
    Well, I'm quite pleased with the additions for the Horse 3, so thank you DA for these much-needed add-ons. I haven't used Horse 3 much until recently, but overall I'm happy with it though I'm still partial to the Horse 2.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

semperequstri said:

vwrangler said:

I have to agree. I put off purchasing Horse 3 in hopes that addons would come out to make it better, at least better than Horse 2, but no disrespect, the latest offerings don't do that for me

I agree with the others on maybe posting images of the specifics that are off so that maybe they can be addressed since it seems many are happy with it just looking like a horse in general.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited July 2023

tsroemi said:

Richard Haseltine said:

semperequstri said:

vwrangler said:

This would also be really helpful for people like me who don't know much about horses. Could you just elaborate on what's striking you the most as being inaccurate? Because being the clueless no-horsey that I am, I thought it all looked rather fine!

Here is what my "horsey" friend had to say regarding the new shapes - 

The light horse breeds who basically all look fairly similar aren’t bad. The heavy breeds they missed basically every mark except “larger head”Draft breeds have a kinda apple bottom build with close set hocks, their legs are heavy and thick with big hooves, necks are wide set and heavy, and the feather isn’t there either for the Shire/Clydesdale/etc.  The hocks [should] almost touch in the back. It’s for pulling heavy loads and for walking crop lines basically

She's also not a fan of the overall head shape since DH3 dropped...the worst offender being that super high forehead. Shapes aside, the rigging is also off, particularly in the back end. The legs move like bent pool noodles rather than...legs. There's just so much about DH3 that is broken. I really respect DA for fighting the good fight and putting stuff out for it, but...honestly it just needs to be taken down to the ground and rebuilt at this point. I don't know enough about modeling and rigging to say if it could be fixed or not. And I don't know who originally built DH3 (I don't want to sound harsh). The only place I have seen DH3 looking good is in DA's artistic promos. That's it.

When you look at something like the Hivewire Horse...and how polished it is still to this day (despite it being how old now?) and then you look at DH3...there's still no contest. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

MelissaGT said:

tsroemi said:

Richard Haseltine said:

semperequstri said:

vwrangler said:

Here is what my "horsey" friend had to say regarding the new shapes - 

The light horse breeds who basically all look fairly similar aren’t bad. The heavy breeds they missed basically every mark except “larger head”Draft breeds have a kinda apple bottom build with close set hocks, their legs are heavy and thick with big hooves, necks are wide set and heavy, and the feather isn’t there either for the Shire/Clydesdale/etc.  The hocks [should] almost touch in the back. It’s for pulling heavy loads and for walking crop lines basically

She's also not a fan of the overall head shape since DH3 dropped...the worst offender being that super high forehead. Shapes aside, the rigging is also off, particularly in the back end. The legs move like bent pool noodles rather than...legs. There's just so much about DH3 that is broken. I really respect DA for fighting the good fight and putting stuff out for it, but...honestly it just needs to be taken down to the ground and rebuilt at this point. I don't know enough about modeling and rigging to say if it could be fixed or not. And I don't know who originally built DH3 (I don't want to sound harsh). The only place I have seen DH3 looking good is in DA's artistic promos. That's it.

When you look at something like the Hivewire Horse...and how polished it is still to this day (despite it being how old now?) and then you look at DH3...there's still no contest. 

Thanks very much for this clarification! So it's really more about the shapes than the morph pack. I see, fortunately I'm only interested in the morphs themselves. The shapes did appear a bit off even to me as well, since I've at least seen quite a few foals around where I live, and they do look different, not so much like just a smaller, thinner horse. But then again, I don't know the least bit about horses. Will be getting the morph pack, since there seems nothing generally wrong with that, and thus have lots more versatility with the new horsey. 

• Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 530

Although I don't like the look of the horse much I bought DAZ Horse 3 so I could get RawArt's Tapirdary:

https://www.daz3d.com/tapirdary-for-daz-horse-3

And AM's Reindeer:

https://www.daz3d.com/reindeer-for-daz-horse-3

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited July 2023

Just a few points and not made in a way to invalidate anyone elses observations or criticisms, but maybe just to bring in a little context from a content creator.

Looking at most of the criticism it tends to boil down to the form is off somehow. There does seem to be a little uncanny valley going on which gives that feeling of something being off, making it hard to say exactly where the issue is. There are a few more obvious things such as the associated mane and tail not being perfect, lack of feather hair and perhaps some less than accurate poses that do not flatter the horse 3 rigging.

What I have attempted to do with the Morph pack is to add capability to the model to make small adjustments to move towards a more viewer preferential Horse shape. Each morph is targeted to a particular aspect and will alter the rigging and correctives accordingly. For example with the neck we have 12 targeted morphs some of which are: Neck shorter, Neck longer, Neck Arch, Neck thicker, Neck top height, Neck body bulk etc. With hundreds of these morphs you can create your own shape or alter existing shapes to address concerns you may have  The Shapes are created to give a goto start for a particular breed and were all made from the morph pack with specilised correctives added for each shape (Over 100 correctives for the set). For example with the heavy horses there is nothing stopping you from dialing up the neck and hoove values higher if you would like to. With most shapes I tried to keep the changes reasonable to avoid entering into the area of caricature (Something that has irked me with other 3D horses). Maybe some places I could of pushed them out a bit further, but really there is nothing stopping the end user dialing things a bit higher if they prefer.

Some of the criticism here goes beyond what is possible to include in a shape and morph packs but I do value all of the input and as I have said before whether lavish praise or harsh criticism I do take everything into consideration when moving forward. Please just keep in mind that we are all creators working with the tools that we have as imperfect as they are at times and miraculous at others. Honestly I still believe Horse 3 is a step forward in the realm of 3D equines and will continue to improve over time.

At the moment I am working on a set of Horse 2 UVs for Horse 3 which will allow the use of all existing Horse 2 materials on Horse 3 to expand capability. Please let me know if you have anything you would really like to see and I can add it to my worklist. (Yes, mane, tail and feathering are on the list ;))

Thanks all.

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • Design Anvil - Razor42 said:

t the moment I am working on a set of Horse 2 UVs for Horse 3 which will allow the use of all existing Horse 2 materials on Horse 3 to expand capability. Please let me know if you have anything you would really like to see and I can add it to my worklist. (Yes, mane, tail and feathering are on the list ;))

Thanks all.

I'd humbly request chestnut, the color. I've adapted a texture sourced elsewhere and created one, hodge-podgily, from Daz Horse 2 textures, but would really like a nice clean chestnut. This example is from the off-the-track thoroughbred that I had many moons ago.

chestnut.jpg
    631 x 685 - 99K
  • Actually ... while we're on the subject of Daz Horse 3, I had forgotten about this problem. I ran into this before but never pursued it. Now seems to be as good of a time as any to ask.

I have the DA Wild Style Daz Horse 3 dForce Hair Expansion and there seems to be a file name mismatch with the original Daz Horse 3 files that it appears to make use of. I've just uninstalled/reinstalled both the hair expansion and the original Daz Horse 3, in case there was a change, but the problem remains.

There are two files that it can't find - the tail and the eyelashes. It loads the mane, ears and face hair. The problem appears to be the file name that it is looking for. For example, when loading the tail, DA Wild Style Daz Horse 3 dForce Hair Expansion is looking for /data/DAZ 3D/DAZ Horse 3/DAZ_Horse3_tail_01/DAZHorse3_tail_5000.dsf but if you go there, the only file is actually named DAZ_Horse3_tail_4850.dsf. (Yeah, I did try copying the existing file and renaming, but the log says it can't read the file.) It looks like a similar thing happens with the eyelashes. It wants a file called DAZHorse3_eyeLashes_5000.dsf and the file in the folder in question is _180.dsf. I've confirmed with the Daz Horse 3 Read Me that the _4850 and _180 are the correct file names (from its point of view).

Any way of easily fixing the problem either by updating what file it's looking for, or making a functional copy of the file with the name it wants?

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited July 2023

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Actually ... while we're on the subject of Daz Horse 3, I had forgotten about this problem. I ran into this before but never pursued it. Now seems to be as good of a time as any to ask.

I have the DA Wild Style Daz Horse 3 dForce Hair Expansion and there seems to be a file name mismatch with the original Daz Horse 3 files that it appears to make use of. I've just uninstalled/reinstalled both the hair expansion and the original Daz Horse 3, in case there was a change, but the problem remains.

There are two files that it can't find - the tail and the eyelashes. It loads the mane, ears and face hair. The problem appears to be the file name that it is looking for. For example, when loading the tail, DA Wild Style Daz Horse 3 dForce Hair Expansion is looking for /data/DAZ 3D/DAZ Horse 3/DAZ_Horse3_tail_01/DAZHorse3_tail_5000.dsf but if you go there, the only file is actually named DAZ_Horse3_tail_4850.dsf. (Yeah, I did try copying the existing file and renaming, but the log says it can't read the file.) It looks like a similar thing happens with the eyelashes. It wants a file called DAZHorse3_eyeLashes_5000.dsf and the file in the folder in question is _180.dsf. I've confirmed with the Daz Horse 3 Read Me that the _4850 and _180 are the correct file names (from its point of view).

Any way of easily fixing the problem either by updating what file it's looking for, or making a functional copy of the file with the name it wants?

It looks there were a few name changes in the latest updates for the eyelashes and tail. I suspect these were updated and had new base files saved hence the name change. The wearables just need to be updated with the new base files associated. Let me look into it and see if there is any other damage and get an update ready. For now I guess just load the tail and eyelashes from the Horse 3 library instead of the Wild Style presets. Thanks for the heads up it's appreciated.

The Chestnut thoroughbred is beautiful btw, I did do some experimenting with a chestnut coat but it is still in the works for now. The picture below was made from just mixing together different elements from the material sets in store. It's close but doesn't quite have the right vibrancy and looks a little odd under certain lighting. I'll note it as a coat to work on though.

DH3.png
    916 x 927 - 1013K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on

Thanks for all your efforts for the horses in general, it's appreciated. What I would love to see, but is probably not feasible at all: autofit clones for horse 3 and 2 and maybe even the low-res horse. So that bardings and saddles and tack and all these things could be exchanged between the generations. That'd be very cool I think. 
    Thanks for asking us!

• That would be cool! It's on my list to look into. I love the idea of preserving as much as possible from Horse 2 and incorporating the assets into Horse 3 and potentially from other Horses also.

I did do a few early experiments with transfering the old Horse 2 mane just to see what would be involved, but I'll add it to the list to do some more in depth research as to how feasable it would be.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

If you can bring in the DH2 mane, can you add a toupee' for the bald spot at the ears? Thanks again for your efforts on DH3 support.

• semperequstrisemperequstri Posts: 150
    edited July 2023

tsroemi said:

Richard Haseltine said:

semperequstri said:

vwrangler said:

A complete list of all the defects and comparing them to real anatomy and movement would result in a VERY long series of posts that would bore folks to death. So, I’ll just "hit the highlights".  But before I do some background...

I am a retired DVM (small animal practice) and have been around horses for going on 55 years- breeding showing and training in 3 countries (Holland, UK, and USA) mostly Thoroughbreds with some Saddlebreds and Morgans. I've also been a traditional 2D equestrian artist since childhood.

The issues I have are with basic anatomy and proportions (don’t get me started on the joint bends), The body shape, length and proportions are all wrong. As for the breed morphs-Shires, Clydesdales and Suffolks don’t look like that. The Arab is WAY too “toonish” as is the foal.

Now I admit to having NO talent or aptitude for sculpting, creating morphs, or rigging figures. The one time I tried Z Brush I got hopelessly lost and confused. But surely something better could’ve been done. When compared to the static anatomical/ ecorche models found at other sites the difference is glaringly obvious.

I imagine that some of the issues come from the fact that the base DH3 model is so bad to begin with. There’s only so much one can do with bad base materials. In truth the DH2 was far from perfect either, but it was more presentable.

Lastly, I accept that my background perhaps makes me way too “sensitive”, but I can’t help it.  After all, Art is a very individualized pursuit. If this content suits your creative process, then by all means use it and support the PAs who made it.smiley

Post edited by semperequstri on
  • Wrong and toonish aren't really helpful when it comes to figuring out what would need to change, though. Toonish in particular can be tricky - I have felt that about some other animal reelases that have generally been praised (and even soem human characters), but would need to narrow it down if I wanted to turn it into feedback that might inform future products (or even a service pack).

• MartialMartial Posts: 412

Allo

I have now in my cart this one:

The DA Daz Horse 3 Pro Material Set

I hesitate to purchase because i have bought DA Daz Horse 3 Base Material Sets when i bought DAZhorse3 .But i cannot see how to use the LIE DAZhorse3 overlay . Click on and it does nothing (see screen capture )

A small steps by steps  how to use thes overlay and  i will buy the material set  I know what LIE is for but i cannot use use it

• MartialMartial Posts: 412

Sorry screen capture ont loading

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,831
    edited July 2023

Martial said:

Allo

I have now in my cart this one:

The DA Daz Horse 3 Pro Material Set

I hesitate to purchase because i have bought DA Daz Horse 3 Base Material Sets when i bought DAZhorse3 .But i cannot see how to use the LIE DAZhorse3 overlay . Click on and it does nothing (see screen capture )

A small steps by steps  how to use thes overlay and  i will buy the material set  I know what LIE is for but i cannot use use it

1. Load one of the Daz Horse 3 "characters", for example, Horse - Standardbred - Female and have it selected in the Scene pane.
    2. Double click on one of the LIE overlays, for example, LIE DAHorse3 Overlay Pinto Black
    3. Wait a few seconds for the LIE processing to complete (might take 10 seconds or more)
    4. The selected overlay will be visible on the horse in the Daz viewport in Texture Shaded mode or Iray Preview mode.

Yes, the Daz forum is broken. Image uploads sometimes work late at night Daz time, but seldom during Daz waking hours. People say you can upload to your Daz Gallery or other image hosting site and link to that. I haven't tried.

Post edited by barbult on
  • On the subject of chestnut, I ran across this example I did back in April when trying to create a chestnut with DH3. It's a bit stylized but not entirely unreasonable. Unfortunately, I can't tell now exactly what I did. I wrote at the time: "The horse's color is based on DA's base materials for Daz Horse 3, but I've started tinkering with some customization, which I used to get this shade of chestnut and also the star as a LIE." But when I open the file today, there's just a temp file for the base color mat file.