Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• morkmork Posts: 278

It works without problems, but you are not able to search your database for assets quickly. Which can be really annoying.
    As for smart-assets: I don't use it as its behaviour drives me crazy and a lot of older assets are not there.
    Sometimes I indeed use it, because of the product images, which sometimes give me a better idea on which wardrobe to use. But that's all.

You can start it with an icon, but I personally did not go the extra mile to create one yet, as, so far, it was not working.
    If you install it using PlayOnLinux, which to my understanding now also supports wine_staging, it will create an icon for you or you can create it on your own. For games that are supported, or where you know how to set them up, that is the prefered way to go, as it provides you with a GUI and stuff.

Otherwise it might be a little bit more effort to create it on your own and it depends on the linux distro on how to do it exactly. Amazingly there are some linux desktops (you can change them) around which don't support the principle of icons on your desktop, I think Kubuntu is one of them. That's why I switched to Xubuntu. Ubuntu itself was also driving me crazy with its UI, which is cool for beginners, but quite limited when you want to do more fancy things with your desktop.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2015

I know where everything is in my content library, if it's not in there, it's just not there. Is the DIM usable without the CMS? I think Play On Linux might be worth looking into if it can be proven that DS 4.9 will work with it. It will probably be next year before I do anything as I need another external drive for backing stuff up. I'm sure by then people will have tested stuff a bit more and 4.9 will have been released in full. I really like launching stuff from the desktop as it's what I've always been used to.

Linux Mint Cinnamon is the distro I intend to use.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • mork said:

Hm, strange. For me, smart content is working. :|

Did you activate the extension citext on the database? Did you try to re-import metadata into the database?
    Ah and sorry about the password, will change it. :)

Ehmmm... How do I do that? I'm sorry, I usually don't use smart content, so I'm not so familiar with it.

Also, I think before installing CMS, I used DIM to install the PostgreSQL. It wouldn't install the main file (install failure), but installed something like converter CMS to Valentina. Also, I think I copied all the CMS and PostgreSQL related folders from my Windows installation to the drive_c of my wine prefix. This all before I followed the steps from the above manual. I could try to make a clean install prefix again, just for test sake purposes... 

Rogerbee said:

If you don't use Smart Content, will DS work without ever installing CMS or is it best to install it anyway? Also, once DS is installed, can you launch it with a desktop icon just as you can in Windows?

CHEERS!

I think it has trouble with the search function and "scan known directories for new content" function. It won't highlight everything new as blue without CMS working.

And yes, as mentioned above you will be able to launch it from desktop. Once you install DS in your wine prefix, it will create two icons on your desktop at installation. One will be the useless in Linux .ink, this one you can throw away immideately. The other one you should left-click open and change the command to this:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/yourDAZwineprefix" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /home/user/yourDAZwineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

Off course, if your wineprefix is not in your home folder, it will be different.

To add an icon to the launcher, click "change icon" and type "DAZ" in the searchbar. If the standard DAZ icon doesn't appear, launch DS once and close. Then try again. Also, I think it will ask you every time you changed something to the launcher to mark it executable. You should say yes. But it will only ask once every change, so once you've set everything it should work like in Windows. 

Disclaimer: I'm working in Ubuntu Studio (optimized Ubuntu for creative needs, with pre-installed packages for music, art and video editing), so can't guarantee anything for other Linux distro's.

mork said:

Did you activate the extension citext on the database? Did you try to re-import metadata into the database?

Ehmmm... How do I do that? I'm sorry, I usually don't use smart content, so I'm not so familiar with it.

Also, I think before installing CMS, I used DIM to install the PostgreSQL. It wouldn't install the main file (install failure), but installed something like converter CMS to Valentina. Also, I think I copied all the CMS and PostgreSQL related folders from my Windows installation to the drive_c of my wine prefix. This all before I followed the steps from the above manual. I could try to make a clean install prefix again, just for test sake purposes... 

Rogerbee said:

If you don't use Smart Content, will DS work without ever installing CMS or is it best to install it anyway? Also, once DS is installed, can you launch it with a desktop icon just as you can in Windows?

CHEERS!

I think it has trouble with the search function and "scan known directories for new content" function. It won't highlight everything new as blue without CMS working.

And yes, as mentioned above you will be able to launch it from desktop. Once you install DS in your wine prefix, it will create two icons on your desktop at installation. One will be the useless in Linux .ink, this one you can throw away immideately. The other one you should left-click open and change the command to this:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/yourDAZwineprefix" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /home/user/yourDAZwineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

Off course, if your wineprefix is not in your home folder, it will be different.

To add an icon to the launcher, click "change icon" and type "DAZ" in the searchbar. If the standard DAZ icon doesn't appear, launch DS once and close. Then try again. Also, I think it will ask you every time you changed something to the launcher to mark it executable. You should say yes. But it will only ask once every change, so once you've set everything it should work like in Windows. 

Disclaimer: I'm working in Ubuntu Studio (optimized Ubuntu for creative needs, with pre-installed packages for music, art and video editing), so can't guarantee anything for other Linux distro's.

I've rarely used the search function and that 'NEW' thing always bugged me, so I can live without it. Thanks for the icon tip, I'm sure it'll prove useful. I'm so glad there is a real reason to keep this thread going now.

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee said:

I know where everything is in my content library, if it's not in there, it's just not there. Is the DIM usable without the CMS? I think Play On Linux might be worth looking into if it can be proven that DS 4.9 will work with it. It will probably be next year before I do anything as I need another external drive for backing stuff up. I'm sure by then people will have tested stuff a bit more and 4.9 will have been released in full. I really like launching stuff from the desktop as it's what I've always been used to.

CHEERS!

DIM worked for me, as long as you launch it also with wine-staging. 

I've used Linux Mint, it works as easy as Ubuntu, so icons can be created. I think the above steps should work for Linux Mint as well.

mork said:

Ubuntu itself was also driving me crazy with its UI, which is cool for beginners, but quite limited when you want to do more fancy things with your desktop.

Ubuntu itself yes, especially with its side-menu imitating the desktop of windows 7. But Ubuntu Studio and Linux Mint are much more closer to what Windows XP looked like, with a decent taskbar and all. And I love how Ubuntu Studio is really optimized for creative work. It's a bit harder on hard drive (minimum 8 gb of hard drive instead of 2 gb of normal Ubuntu) but in those days, where you can get 3 terabytes for a couple of hundred bucks, I don't think it's a problem. 

mork said:

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I'm not sure about installing PostgreSQL in Wine on top, as this is actually what we want to replace with the linux native version. I did not install anything extra related to postgreSQL in Wine - if something was installed along the Studio installation, I have it as well, but I did not install/copy anything on top, in order not to have concurring sql services running. If it all does not work, that might be a reason for your troubles. On the other hand, you have the connection established, you should be pretty close already. :)

As for importing the meta-data: To my understanding this is what makes smart content work. You start with a completely blank database, so you once have to
    a) import all the meta data
    b) scan known directories for files

Right click on the tab for "Content", there should be something like Database Management. There is a checkbox "re-import meta data". check it and click okay. a new window will pop up, showing all your products that have such meta data. Import them all, that takes a while....

Right click again on your "Content" tab, select "Search known directories for files". This will scan all the folders and add those assets to your db, which don't have meta data. Poser files for example.

Then the database should be populated and ready to go.

edited November 2015
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

DIM worked for me, as long as you launch it also with wine-staging. 

I've used Linux Mint, it works as easy as Ubuntu, so icons can be created. I think the above steps should work for Linux Mint as well.

mork said:

Ubuntu itself was also driving me crazy with its UI, which is cool for beginners, but quite limited when you want to do more fancy things with your desktop.

Ubuntu itself yes, especially with its side-menu imitating the desktop of windows 7. But Ubuntu Studio and Linux Mint are much more closer to what Windows XP looked like, with a decent taskbar and all. And I love how Ubuntu Studio is really optimized for creative work. It's a bit harder on hard drive (minimum 8 gb of hard drive instead of 2 gb of normal Ubuntu) but in those days, where you can get 3 terabytes for a couple of hundred bucks, I don't think it's a problem. 

Cool, still not sure about the DIM, not needed to use it since it came out. However, if Daz Connect replaces manual downloads it may have to be considered, we'll just have to see. Like I said, everything that end should be sorted by the time I'm ready to switch.

CHEERS!

@Rogerbee: I did not use it in the past as well, but for new purchases it's more comfortable to install them using DIM. DIM will put a copy of the packages somewhere, so those can be backed up.
    You don't need it, but you can use it, if you want. You always have the option to put the files into the content folder directly and have DAZ scan your files+re-import meta data, so they show up in the database/folders.

@Chanteur-de-Vent: I went for Ubuntu when I made the switch from windows, thought I'd start it easy. But at some point I'd like to test out other distros, Arch and Mint are often mentioned, I think I'll give them a try.

I like the "You don't need it, but you can use it, if you want." approach, but, I fear with Daz Connect, we'll lose that. I prefer simplicity which is what my current set up gives me. I buy the content, I download it and I install it. No issues whatsoever. I'll just have to see how Daz want us to set things up post 4.9 and go with it. One heartening thing is that I tested my hardware with 3DMark earlier and it came out as being 59% better than most other machines tested. I now know that I have a killer rig which will admirably handle whatever I throw its way.

I too was tempted by Ubuntu and was going to go with the MATE version, but, then I saw Mint Cinnamon and that really wowed me. It had the simplicity and speed that I wanted and it didn't appear as though it would be very memory hungry.

2016 is going to be a great new year for me, with lots to discover, bring it on!

CHEERS!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Well, you're getting Ubuntu anyway; Mint is based on it. :) I agree they tend to look great in comparrison; I was fine with Ubuntu once I'd changed to a custom background; I also like Fedora, different though they are.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Cinnamon and MATE are desktops, you can install those on any version of linux, you can even install them both at the same time.Not all that long ago the Debain DVD installer would install Gnome, KDE, and LXFC desktops by default.There's a switcher on the login screen that lets you swap out desktops easily.There are lots of desktop environments for your linux OS , and any or all of them can be installed at the same time. :)

I think I'll be fine with just the one.

The fact that we can use it with WINE will probably make Daz less inclined to do a native version of DS in the future. However, as Poser will soon use an offshoot of Cycles, who knows, maybe they might do a native version....

CHEERS!

• WARNING:  I use cinnamon, MATE, Gnome3, and others.  Cinnamon is a VERY heavy desktop and will leech performance from your system in general, especially your graphics subsystem.  Cinnamon is sorta like Windows Aero, it likes its effects.  If you are looking to get the most performance from a system, then you need to use the lightest Desktop that you can get by with so that it doesn't take away from your work.  Linux is nice that way in that you can choose different desktop sessions and setups depending on your workflow needs.  You can change the desired environment on the Password entry screen while logging in.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, it's a a case of suck it and see. It seemed to offer the features I was looking for.

CHEERS!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited November 2015

I'm runnining Cinnamon on a Toshiba satellite I5 processor laptop with 16 gig of ram and it runs 3 to 4 times faster than it did with Win 10 or the Win 8.1 that came on it

Really like it.

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • mork said:
    mork said:

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I'm not sure about installing PostgreSQL in Wine on top, as this is actually what we want to replace with the linux native version. I did not install anything extra related to postgreSQL in Wine - if something was installed along the Studio installation, I have it as well, but I did not install/copy anything on top, in order not to have concurring sql services running. If it all does not work, that might be a reason for your troubles. On the other hand, you have the connection established, you should be pretty close already. :)

As for importing the meta-data: To my understanding this is what makes smart content work. You start with a completely blank database, so you once have to

Right click on the tab for "Content", there should be something like Database Management. There is a checkbox "re-import meta data". check it and click okay. a new window will pop up, showing all your products that have such meta data. Import them all, that takes a while....

Right click again on your "Content" tab, select "Search known directories for files". This will scan all the folders and add those assets to your db, which don't have meta data. Poser files for example.

It worked! Just re-imported meta data and everything seems to work now, even on startup of the program (as in doesn't dissapear after restarting it).

Screenshot2_2015-11-04_20-52-04.png
    1280 x 1024 - 240K
    mork said:
    mork said:

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

It worked! Just re-imported meta data and everything seems to work now, even on startup of the program (as in doesn't dissapear after restarting it).

Happy to hear that it works for you! :)
    Now if only 4.9 would not break it again... :(

• I don't mean to disparage Cinnamon, it is leagues better than Windows. However, in comparison to other Linux desktop environments it is extraordinarily resource intensive. There are heavier environments (Compiz comes to mind) and there are environments that are orders of magnitude lighter. Cinnamon is the environment that I use on my main desktop, but it has power to burn, On my laptop, I prefer MATE even though the laptop has a Quadro Video system simply because MATE doesn't cause the system to always run hot. Compared to Lxde and blackbox MATE is heavy. When I need to maximize power, I'll drop to level 3 and forefo the GUI completely.

I'm runnining Cinnamon on a Toshiba satellite I5 processor laptop with 16 gig of ram and it runs 3 to 4 times faster than it did with Win 10 or the Win 8.1 that came on it

Really like it.

• My apologies I didn't mean to imply that you were.

I was just offering my experiance with it on my laptop

I tried them all, and keep going back to KDE. I've got all the eye candy toys running :)

translucent/transparent windows, shadowing, the cursors that spin, and change shape.

i LOVE the jello effect called "wobbly windows"

I have never seen anything that does fonts better than GNU/linux desktops.

The fonts and UI on my Windows 10 OS look absolutely primitive compared to KDE.

I still say Windows 10 new theme pack is more or less just a clone of the old Gnome high contrast theme from back in 2003 or 2005.Looks the same to me anyway.

Both Windows 10 and Gentoo use about the same amount of ram,,around 1.4GB-2GB.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    icecrmn said:

I tried them all, and keep going back to KDE. I've got all the eye candy toys running :)

translucent/transparent windows, shadowing, the cursors that spin, and change shape.

Same here....KDE.

I really need to get another hard drive..

• Just got home and realized just how badly the mobile phone keyboard mangled what I wanted to type.  YIKES!  Sorry for all of the typos everyone.

I have a desktop system, which has 16gb of RAM and a 6 core AMD, I don't game and the most memory intensive thing I do is DS. If Mint Cinnamon is faster than Windows then it'll be fine on my system. This KDE sounds a bit gimmicky to me and I didn't see any of that with Mint. I just want a 'does what it says on the tin' OS.

CHEERS!

edited November 2015

By the way, if you have Linux but don't have Photoshop CS3 and up, I've just found Darktable which is a Linux photo editor with much the same features. I'm mentioning this because Mec4D recommends decreasing the vibrance of skin textures for Iray renders. You can do this in Photoshop from CS3 onwards, but you can't in CS2 and older, however, Darktable has that function. I have PT Photo Editor to do it in Windows, but, it's unknown how this works with WINE.

Gimp doesn't have that vibrance function and I have yet to find a plug-in for it that gives it to you.

CHEERS!

• Reporting after a day of test-driving DAZStudio 4.8 on Ubuntu Studio. Today I tried to create a real scene, like I would do on Windows and noted everything that seemed different from my Windows (which is installed as dual boot on the same machine). 

Found bugs:

1. Re-opening a saved scene is horribly slow. I saved a scene with two figures (gen2female and victoria4, plus some dresses on top of them). Saved on linux, closed, opened again and it took 26 minutes (yes I've been watching the timer).

2. The sliders in the parameters panel can be buggy. During the posing the slider sometimes releases itself from your grip, even when continiously pressing the mouse button. Also trying to modify the numerical value of the slider by clicking it sometimes results in non-response to your keyboard. Re-clicking doesn't help. You need to do some complicated sliding before it will react to keyboard again. The controllers in the scene-view (the colored arrows and circles) do work appropriate.

3. Somehow DAZ managed to fill up 2 gb of my swap without fully filling up the 8gb of my memory. And it wouldn't clear it. This resulted in very slow response since the filling of swap. Approximate usage of RAM: 4.4 gb. Fills itself up to 7.2 gb during render before every canvas write. So it's not the problem of DAZ not being able to access my RAM. 

4. Loading anything into the scene might shortly freeze your computer and it will take at least twice as much as in Windows. Espically when it's not your first, but say fifth or tenth item in your scene. But this might have to do with filled swap, I'm not sure.

Anyone any idea's on this record?

3. Somehow DAZ managed to fill up 2 gb of my swap without fully filling up the 8gb of my memory. And it wouldn't clear it. This resulted in very slow response since the filling of swap. Approximate usage of RAM: 4.4 gb. Fills itself up to 7.2 gb during render before every canvas write. So it's not the problem of DAZ not being able to access my RAM. 

I wonder if that's an Ubuntu thing...I've had other programs do that in Ubuntu and not in other distros.   It doesn't do that in Slackware.

• Reporting after a day of test-driving DAZStudio 4.8 on Ubuntu Studio. Today I tried to create a real scene, like I would do on Windows and noted everything that seemed different from my Windows (which is installed as dual boot on the same machine). 

Found bugs:

1. Re-opening a saved scene is horribly slow. I saved a scene with two figures (gen2female and victoria4, plus some dresses on top of them). Saved on linux, closed, opened again and it took 26 minutes (yes I've been watching the timer).

2. The sliders in the parameters panel can be buggy. During the posing the slider sometimes releases itself from your grip, even when continiously pressing the mouse button. Also trying to modify the numerical value of the slider by clicking it sometimes results in non-response to your keyboard. Re-clicking doesn't help. You need to do some complicated sliding before it will react to keyboard again. The controllers in the scene-view (the colored arrows and circles) do work appropriate.

4. Loading anything into the scene might shortly freeze your computer and it will take at least twice as much as in Windows. Espically when it's not your first, but say fifth or tenth item in your scene. But this might have to do with filled swap, I'm not sure.

Anyone any idea's on this record?

I've experienced these issues in the past with 4.7, Wine64, and Fedora.  #1 is an issue that gets progressively worse as the number of items in the scene increase.  Not all items cause this problem and I've not been able to determine which types of objects actually trigger the behavior.  Due to other duties, I did not look into it too deeply.  #2 is a Wine issue.  It is caused by the switching of the input queues between the Linux desktop and the Windows input chain.  This is the main "wine caused" issue when running Hexagon.  This is quite a complex issue, and the Wine crew is aware of it as if affects other programs.  Since most things can recover, it doesn't seem to be on their main list of "needed fixes".   I have seen #3 in Ubuntu and CentOS.  I have not investigated it though.  #4 is related to #1.

maybe it's something to do with the swappiness?

mine is set to 60.Not sure about ubuntu, I got a Debain 8 install that I've not been spending enough time with, So maybe I can get time this week to try getting Studio up and going on it.

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

I've been seeing the slow loading aswell.I think it's as Kendall says,an artifact of emulation.

which got me thinking,,,

Linux support for QT is excellent.Probably better than Windows. KDE is written in QT, so the whole desktop is running it.

We are using wine to emulate Windows so we can run a program written in QT on linux.

The problem is the middleman. :)

Sure wish we had a native version of Studio.My gentoo system has native support for more image types than Windows. I can view HDR, EXR, TGA, and just about everything else right on the desktop.

I understand the hurdles that would have to be cleared to make that happen,,,but a fella can wish :)

I mean how cool would it be if Ubuntu Studio actualy came with , or made available, Daz Studio?

icecrmn said:

I mean how cool would it be if Ubuntu Studio actualy came with , or made available, Daz Studio?

Might actually want to use Ubuntu...

Sorry, but I just find Ubuntu slightly less annoying than Windows.

mjc1016 said:
    icecrmn said:

Might actually want to use Ubuntu...

Sorry, but I just find Ubuntu slightly less annoying than Windows.

It does offer a gateway for people that have only used Windows though.

Some of the helper and do-it-for-me scripts are handy to have. :)

I admit, I don't use it either though, I have the new version installed, I just didn't get along with some of the new features.

for the curious, I have Windows 10, Gentoo unstable, Debain 8, Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Knoppix, installed currently on this computer. :) Gentoo is my main OS.

....I don't have an OS problem, I can quit anytime I want. I'm just experimenting with those other distros,,, honest.