Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    icecrmn said:

for the curious, I have Windows 10, Gentoo unstable, Debain 8, Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Knoppix, installed currently on this computer. :) Gentoo is my main OS.

....I don't have an OS problem, I can quit anytime I want. I'm just experimenting with those other distros,,, honest.

At one point I had 15 different installed operating systems on one machine...and now on this machine I'm down to just one...Slackware.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Interesting stuff coming through here, keep it up,

It's good that development of Linux and WINE seems to be fairly constant and there will come a point, hopefully, where the majority of issues you are experiencing will all be addressed. I doubt I'll switch this year as I can't afford the 4tb external drive that I want yet. By the time I can, 4.9 will be out an you will all be testing this in WINE.

Good things are ahead....

CHEERS!

• Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited November 2015
    icecrmn said:

maybe it's something to do with the swappiness?

mine is set to 60.Not sure about ubuntu, I got a Debain 8 install that I've not been spending enough time with, So maybe I can get time this week to try getting Studio up and going on it.

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

My swapiness was set to 10. Which would require 90% to fill itself up before going to swap. Maybe it was crashing Banshee's foult though... I had it running parallel to listen to music and it kept freezing. Today I opened DAZ only and it left the swap in peace. I haven't tried to render yet though. 

icecrmn said:

I mean how cool would it be if Ubuntu Studio actualy came with , or made available, Daz Studio?

YES, PLEASE!  After all those buggy slides (try to pose a dress, when you HAVE to use the sliders) I would love something less buggy and more native. 

Could we do a crowd-funding for Linux version for DAZStudio? Say, ask DAZ to estimate the cost to pay a team of developers and set-up a crowd-funding to reflect that goal? Especially now, with the new version coming out, would be a nice bonus as a feature. 

Reporting after a day of test-driving DAZStudio 4.8 on Ubuntu Studio. Today I tried to create a real scene, like I would do on Windows and noted everything that seemed different from my Windows (which is installed as dual boot on the same machine). 

Found bugs:

1. Re-opening a saved scene is horribly slow. I saved a scene with two figures (gen2female and victoria4, plus some dresses on top of them). Saved on linux, closed, opened again and it took 26 minutes (yes I've been watching the timer).

2. The sliders in the parameters panel can be buggy. During the posing the slider sometimes releases itself from your grip, even when continiously pressing the mouse button. Also trying to modify the numerical value of the slider by clicking it sometimes results in non-response to your keyboard. Re-clicking doesn't help. You need to do some complicated sliding before it will react to keyboard again. The controllers in the scene-view (the colored arrows and circles) do work appropriate.

3. Somehow DAZ managed to fill up 2 gb of my swap without fully filling up the 8gb of my memory. And it wouldn't clear it. This resulted in very slow response since the filling of swap. Approximate usage of RAM: 4.4 gb. Fills itself up to 7.2 gb during render before every canvas write. So it's not the problem of DAZ not being able to access my RAM. 

4. Loading anything into the scene might shortly freeze your computer and it will take at least twice as much as in Windows. Espically when it's not your first, but say fifth or tenth item in your scene. But this might have to do with filled swap, I'm not sure.

Anyone any idea's on this record?

I've experienced these issues in the past with 4.7, Wine64, and Fedora.  #1 is an issue that gets progressively worse as the number of items in the scene increase.  Not all items cause this problem and I've not been able to determine which types of objects actually trigger the behavior.  Due to other duties, I did not look into it too deeply.  #2 is a Wine issue.  It is caused by the switching of the input queues between the Linux desktop and the Windows input chain.  This is the main "wine caused" issue when running Hexagon.  This is quite a complex issue, and the Wine crew is aware of it as if affects other programs.  Since most things can recover, it doesn't seem to be on their main list of "needed fixes".   I have seen #3 in Ubuntu and CentOS.  I have not investigated it though.  #4 is related to #1.

Damn, so the sliders won't get fixed in the near future? I had to give up today and go back to Windows since it was so annoying.... I don't remember such a bug in 32bit-version on wine. And there I used to have only 4gb of RAM and a much worse processor. 

Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on

I watched a video about Linux Mint today and one of the things recommended was to install a firewall. What settings would need adjusting to allow DS to function?

CHEERS!

• Nothing special should need to be done.

Oh ok, just wanted to check. Things are looking up for DS and Linux it would seem. Everything else seems straightforward.

CHEERS!

Well, I have my new external drive and preparations have begun for the big switch. I'm copying My Documents over to an external drive as we speak, this contains all my documents as well as my entire Daz content directory. Once done I'll see what else is left and could possibly install Linux tomorrow or the day after, we shall see..

I don't plan on installing DS till 4.9 comes out, it's so imminent now that it hardly seems worth installing 4.8

The excitement has begun.....

CHEERS!

Well, Linux Mint is all installed and I'm just copying files. One odd thing is that I can't seem to get any access to the Linux Mint homepage so I can't add Google as a search engine. Anybody experienced this before? How can I access this page? I don't want Yahoo as my default search engine!

CHEERS!

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

There should be a dropdown menu on the search bar to select from the installed search engines, does it have google?

No, it didn't, it's ok anyway, the Linux Mint page loaded again and I was able to do it. I have Wine and Play On Linux installed now and will wait till I've copied all the files I want over before doing much else. I have 2 external drives and only want 1, I'm busy copying stuff to the new one right now. As for DS, I'm going to wait till 4.9 goes fully live.

CHEERS!

congrats on getting your first linux OS installed :) 

Well done.yes

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    edited November 2015

Welcome to the club 

I have Mint on a laptop and use it for web almost exclusively I also have it installed on a SSD that I can boot on my big tower that I use for graphics and 3d although real life hasn't left me time to work with it

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited November 2015

It's working like a charm so far, it's faster than Windows, just, and I don't think it's as memory hungry. I couldn't get Geary going at all but seem to have got Thunderbird set up better than I had it in Windows, maybe it's more stable in its native environment. There is a Beta for Linux Mint 17.3 out already, I won't switch to that, but, I might go for the full release. Does a new version of the distro load as an update or does it erase everything and you have to start from scratch again?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    Rogerbee said:

Thunderbird set up better than I had it in Windows, maybe it's more stable in its native environment.

Thunderbird has been rock solid in any flavor of Linux I've tried it in.

using the systems package manager will update you to the newest versions of all software on your computer.It shouldn't delete any of your user settings or anything like that, just updates to the programs.So,,no,,you won't have to start all over :) .It's just program updates.

I should mention that in the linunx world, when they say beta, they mean it :),,,so don't try any of the "unstable" or "beta" versions until you get a bit of experience.

In the Windows world , lots of software companies like to use "beta" as marketing for the next version.Video games are horrible at this.

Most video games aren't really getting major changes to the game engine that need testing.They are mosly just asset changes like character meshs, textures, normal maps, things that we change in Studio on a regular basis.They call these expansion pacs betas to increase interest in them.They really arent new game engines.

The best example I can think of is the "Oblivion Construction set" for an older game called "Oblivion" from Bethesda.It works a lot like Studio.You use a set of game assets to make whole new expansions that include new quests, characters, buildings, etc,etc.Then just export them to the games program folder.

Most, if not all, video games use these construction sets to build expansions.So they aren't new versions of the games engine, just re-textured stuff they alread have thats been placed into different scenes.

• icecrmn said:

I should mention that in the linunx world, when they say beta, they mean it :),,,

Unlike Windows that's released as a new version when it should still be in alpha

icecrmn said:

I should mention that in the linunx world, when they say beta, they mean it :),,,

Unlike Windows that's released as a new version when it should still be in alpha

Pre-alpha?

btw,,,I'm runing the system rescue cd right now while I do a gentoo rebuild.

We got some new features, so I decided that my 7 year old Gentoo install needed a reformat and reinstall.

I wasn't having any problems with it, I just wanted to do a reinstall.

The last time I did this , it took about 6 hours to compile everything.(kde desktop minus the toys and few other things I don't really use)

mjc1016 said:
    icecrmn said:

Pre-alpha?

Well,,,at least it comes with it's own spyware preinstalled now :)

beat's having to go out on the internet to find your own keylogger and spyware. :)

The so called 'spyware' was one of the reasons I switched to Linux. I can't believe what you get for free, it feels like you've stolen it and you're going to get a bill one day. So long as 4.9 works when I get it I'll be one happy camper.

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee said:

The so called 'spyware' was one of the reasons I switched to Linux. I can't believe what you get for free, it feels like you've stolen it and you're going to get a bill one day. So long as 4.9 works when I get it I'll be one happy camper.

CHEERS!

I use linux for the same reason, but I haven't had too much luck with daz 64bit unfortunately, so I'm stuck with a dual booting for now. 

Not really, if you go back a page or two then you'll find that people have been able to successfully run DS in Wine and they tell you how.

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee said:

Not really, if you go back a page or two then you'll find that people have been able to successfully run DS in Wine and they tell you how.

CHEERS!

Yep, but the buggy sliders still drive me back to Windows for the moment... sad

• Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. 

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Yep, but the buggy sliders still drive me back to Windows for the moment... sad

I can't remember if anyone else reported that issue. Still, I'll just have to see what 4.9 brings, there's no point putting 4.8 on only to have to update it a week or so later. I just want to do a clean install. I haven't done that since 4.5.

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...lurking to stay abreast of developments.

• What we need is a way to have Daz content work natively in Blender. That way Daz does not have to make their software work in Linux. Blender already works in Linux and it has Cycles and Octane render capabilties. It has a modeler built in and is being updated regularly. If Daz content came with Blender blender bones or somekind of bridge no one would ask for Studio for Linux. Just an Idea.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...personally, after struggling (and failing) on several occasions to try and come to grips with Blender's UI and setup, I'd rather see Daz work directly in Linux.

What we need is a way to have Daz content work natively in Blender. That way Daz does not have to make their software work in Linux. Blender already works in Linux and it has Cycles and Octane render capabilties. It has a modeler built in and is being updated regularly. If Daz content came with Blender blender bones or somekind of bridge no one would ask for Studio for Linux. Just an Idea.

Don't forget Luxblend...the 'native' Blender Luxrender plugin.  And there's a working, (not sure for how much longer, though) on hiatus 3Delight Blender render plugin, too.

DAE import into Blender does seem to be mostly working, as far as the skeleton is concerned, with at least G3....

• kyoto kid said:

...personally, after struggling (and failing) on several occasions to try and come to grips with Blender's UI and setup, I'd rather see Daz work directly in Linux.

Blender is opensource we could crowd source a branch of Blender with a Daz studio interface, and better yet a bridge between the two programs. You are right Blender does not have an intuitive interface. If Blender had a Carrara like interface now that would be awsome.