Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2015

I still don't want to know if DS can't even use 3Delight in Linux let alone Iray. If it can all be sorted out then maybe, just maybe. Till then, 7 does everything I need it to.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

3Delight and  DS work fine (32 bit).  RIB export works perfectly and 3DL standalone is 'native' and renders the exported RIBs with no problems.

That's as maybe, but, I primarily use Iray and 64bit, until they work, no deal.

CHEERS!

• I have Win7 on one mahine that I run as a home theatre.

Unfortunately my 3d machine was forcibly upgraded by MS to Win10 and am unable to roll it back doing a clean install of Win8.1 back on it would be a major pain and given that Daz is looking at requireing you to be connected to the cloud with the new version of Studio my reason for staying on Windows with my 3d machine may have just disappeared.

I want my files on my machine where I have control not off somewhere for someone in BFE to mess with

First I've heard of that, I'd say that would be an option and not a must. I haven't been pestered to upgrade to 10 for ages. I found I could hide GWX and notifications from it in the taskbar, since then I've been able to continue on my merry way. It would take a major upgrade to WINE before everything we need to work will. Till then I'm not holding my breath.

CHEERS!

• I had upgraded then rolled back hunted down uninstalled and hid all the required KB update files and deleted the install files from the hard drive did this on three machines no problem for several weeks and then all at once all three shutdown rebooted and instaled Win 10 and removed the ability to roll back not the only person this has happened to others have had the upgrade forced on them

You can read about the new Studio and Daz Connect in the Daz Studio discussion forum

Also it won't support Carrara or DSON

Must be an 8.1 thing, not had anything like that happen to me.

I'll look at DS Connect later.

CHEERS!

• Actually it's an MS Win 10 thing 

MS admitted to haveing forced some upgrades

Oh, well, that won't affect me then.

CHEERS!

I want my files on my machine where I have control not off somewhere for someone in BFE to mess with

This should answer that one...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/934809/#Comment_934809

• mjc1016 said:

Yes and no you get the content but not the installers in order to install you have to use Daz connect and let them install where they want  no more custom runtimes or folders I assume they'll let you chose the drive to install on

mjc1016 said:

Yes and no you get the content but not the installers in order to install you have to use Daz connect and let them install where they want  no more custom runtimes or folders I assume they'll let you chose the drive to install on

Here's a screenshot of my WIP folder for stuff I'm making...now substitute a SKU number for the folder names and that will be the NEW content folder.  All the organization is done with the database.

And why do you need installers?  The whole folder can be backed up, moved (I think one of them Rawb or Spooky, said split) and even compressed.

That's actually the one part of this I like.

imageupload16.png
    459 x 851 - 119K
  • If I need to reinstall something and don't have internet access I need the install files backups aren't always reliable and problems sometimes occur during or between backups.

I have had multiple backups that had corrupted files in them which made them useless and if I hadn't had access to the installers it would have cost time downloading and more time if the the internet access was down

Basically, I think that a package,of some sort, will end up being made for each product, will, eventually, happen.  But right now, that isn't an option.  I think Rawb hinted at something like that.  But the overall new structure is what I really like.  Or should it be lack of structure...

It definietly breaks the old mold and doesn't restrict to any one organizational method.  The actual content being totally independent of the way a user sees/organizes it has got to be a big plus over the way it was.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited October 2015

Truthfuully I never found any organization of any kind to the way content get's installed in Studio as I click on half a dozen files telling me that I need another file loaded for them to wotk which happens to be the file I'm looking for to begin with

I like figures grouped together with poses textures and props in their on seperate group instead of just flung at wall the wasy they are in Studio

Can actually install everything in a single folder in Poser which gives the same kinda mess I see in Studio

Post edited by Robert Freise on

One of the things that Studio absolutely has little tolerance for is nested content folders...and by using Linux I'm intimately aware of how that happens (also the case-sensetive file system makes non-uniform case for file and folder names a nightmare).  More often than not, nesting is one of the main reasons of 'not found' errors...the other is uncaught absolute paths. 

The nesting problem isn't helped by the fact that back in the DS3 days, the content folder was named Content...now it's My Library or My Daz 3D Library.  Nor is it helping matters that there have been several changes in folder names or where things go (Shaders, Shader Presets, etc, for example).

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259

Actually, Android is not Linux, Android is it's own OS, based on Linux. While this might seem nitpicky, it's not. Android has stripped out of it many parts to fit on mobile hardware, and a not insignificant part of that is security parts. Furthermore, as mentioned they don't enforce the security they do have in the system, for a reason. All OSs have to find a balance between making the platform easy to program for so there are applications (read... a reason to use the OS) and having security. The single hardest aspect to program is security, thus removing that makes the programming much easier. The more dynamic the platform, the less security. This means that mobile platforms effectively have no security, and won't until the platform stabilizes some (quite a while off probably.) It's also why anyone who uses a mobile device to do any task that should be done in a secure manner, like banking, is basically crazy.

Also, the return on effort for a mobile platform is very high, whereas for Linux systems is usually pretty low unless specifically targeting commercial servers. Since the types of attacks for commercial servers are fundamentally different then desktop systems, the two don't exactly equate (apples and oranges.)

For anyone interested in security, you might want to check out my FB page Custom Computing.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Gedd said:

It's also why anyone who uses a mobile device to do any task that should be done in a secure manner, like banking, is basically crazy.

Indeed.

I was hoping the posts meant someone had figured out how to use Daz and IRAY in Linux; I am so not upgrading to 10; at least as I've stuck with 8, not 8.1, I'm not constantly nagged to upgrade.

I haven't tried 4.9 so I don't know...the latest WINE does not change anything.

But as it sits right now 4.9, at least this beta, is not going on this machine...there's too many things that would have to change to make that happen. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    mjc1016 said:

I haven't tried 4.9 so I don't know...the latest WINE does not change anything.

But as it sits right now 4.9, at least this beta, is not going on this machine...there's too many things that would have to change to make that happen. 

I'm tring it out; I've made backups and a disk image restore will sort out any problems. wink Basically I want to have decided about it before it goes live; as it is now, it is easier to revert knowing everything is still as it was. Fed up of the speculation, for which I've added to, better to see for myself.

One of the big changes...bigger/another hard drive, there just isn't space for it.

• morkmork Posts: 278
    edited November 2015

It works! \o/
    The most current version of wine staging does start up DAZ 4.8 in 64bit, with Iray and stuff. Did a quick Iray render of Genesis3, it works plus it uses all cpu cores at full load! :D
    Now the interesting part might be to reproduce what I did overall, to make it work....

This is my commandline to start it up:

winearch=win64 WINEPREFIX="/folder_to_bottle/daz_wine" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 ./daz_wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

I think I created a standard 64bit wine bottle and installed these using winetricks:

vcrun2005
    w_workaround_wine_bug-30713
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

Then I installed wine-staging, which is kind of testing version of wine. It recently has been added to wine
    You can find it here at gihub: https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging

I don't think I did much more, besides setting my video-cards memory size to the wine registry:
    Here's the overview of useful wine registry settings: http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
    What you want to change/add is HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/VideoMemorySize - you can find a tutorial for that around the web.

Please let me know if it works for you. :)

Post edited by mork on
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

I wanted to mention something about this in the 4.9 thread, but it is more specific to this thread anyways.

I don't want to you all to get your hopes up, because there has definitely been nothing started with a Linux build of Daz Studio but I will give you some good news about decreasing some roadblocks:

1. Valentina, the db that gave many of our users a bad opinion of smart content has been removed in 4.9 and Valentina did not have a Linux build available for us.

2. Daz Connect was built in such a way so that it will work on case sensitive filesystems.

If you want to try 4.9 with WINE I would recommend having it connect to a native Postgres, to prevent emulating things that really work better on Linux anyways.

Yes...and 32 bit works fine.  64 bit has problems...and until I get/free up some drive space I'm not going to have room for the beta, unfortunately.

The case sensetive problem is a big cross platform compatability roadblock removed (there are rare cases that Macs can be setup to use case sensetive...but I think I've only ever seen one post about it...).  And the setting up of the native Postgre isn't too bad, I just need to make the time to do it.

mork said:

It works! \o/
    The most current version of wine staging does start up DAZ 4.8 in 64bit, with Iray and stuff. Did a quick Iray render of Genesis3, it works plus it uses all cpu cores at full load! :D
    Now the interesting part might be to reproduce what I did overall, to make it work....

winearch=win64 WINEPREFIX="/folder_to_bottle/daz_wine" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 ./daz_wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

I think I created a standard 64bit wine bottle and installed these using winetricks:

vcrun2005
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

Then I installed wine-staging, which is kind of testing version of wine. It recently has been added to wine

I don't think I did much more, besides setting my video-cards memory size to the wine registry:
    Here's the overview of useful wine registry settings: http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
    What you want to change/add is HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/VideoMemorySize - you can find a tutorial for that around the web.

I'll look into it...looks promising, but I'll probably have to build everything myself, since I'm not using a Debian based distro.

edited November 2015

Thank you DAZ_Rawb. I just hope nothing has been added in 4.9 that will break it again. :D Will try 4.9 out, after I played around with 4.8 a bit, now that it is finally running. :)

So far I have not found something that is not working. Scene/content loading is awfully slow, but when it's loaded, its pretty responsive, more than it has been in 32bit. Of course there are some hickups with locating files, when an existing scene is loaded that has been saved with windows.

Post edited by mork on
    mjc1016 said:

Yes...and 32 bit works fine.  64 bit has problems...and until I get/free up some drive space I'm not going to have room for the beta, unfortunately.

The case sensetive problem is a big cross platform compatability roadblock removed (there are rare cases that Macs can be setup to use case sensetive...but I think I've only ever seen one post about it...).  And the setting up of the native Postgre isn't too bad, I just need to make the time to do it.

The problem starts with some content artists not respecting the naming scheme and using the wrong case on the folder names. I have to fix it every so often, when I bought new stuff. :|
    On windows it does not matter in the end, but on linux it does. Still, it's considered bad style to use the wrong naming scheme, the cool kids don't do that. :)

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    Rogerbee said:

Now I have an Nvidia card in my PC and having read that the Geforce Experience will not work with Linux, I have pretty much decided to abandon it. I will stick with Windows 7 and hopefully there will be a good enough version of Windows out when 7 reaches the end of it's cycle.

This is worth a read: http://www.maximumpc.com/8-things-you-need-to-know-before-switching-to-linux/#page-1

You guys are more than welcome to persevere and if you get anything working, please post it here

CHEERS!

Manstreem support ended 10 months ago for Win 7, we will continue to get securtiy patches from MS, and developers can stay on or not, they no longer have an obligation to MS if they did.

mjc1016 said:
    mork said:

It works! \o/

vcrun2005
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

I'll look into it...looks promising, but I'll probably have to build everything myself, since I'm not using a Debian based distro.

Check their installation page, there are quite some distros supported out of the box. To my understanding you don't need standard wine on top.

mork said:
    mjc1016 said:
    mork said:

It works! \o/

vcrun2005
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

Check their installation page, there are quite some distros supported out of the box. To my understanding you don't need standard wine on top.

Slackware...so I'll need to build it.