Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 2015

To recover a system all that need to be backed up is:

/root   (only necessary if you store specialized install sources here)

/home  (this is critical)

/etc     (this will provide continuity on restore)

/usr     (installed software)

/var/spool  (only if you run a http/smtp server)

/var/www (only if you run a web server)

/var/lib  (used in conjunction with /etc for services and settings)

/var/local    (specialized local software)

/opt    (if it exists, contains local "optional" software)

DO NOT BACK UP (can cause backup failure and will be useless on restore):

/

/proc

/sys

/mnt

/dev

/run

/media

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

/

/proc

/sys

/mnt

/dev

/run

/media

Kendall

And you can safely leave /tmp out of the backup/restore, too.

• mjc1016 said:

/

/proc

/sys

/mnt

/dev

/run

/media

Kendall

And you can safely leave /tmp out of the backup/restore, too.

/tmp is optional.  That is why it is in neither of my lists.  Depending on the setup of the system, /tmp may contain session required information in the case of a crash (document recovery, etc) that may be able to be used to recover important files upon restore.  Some systems only use it for tracking information (CORBA objects, etc), while some systems that implement Quotas will allocate user storage there for large files that exceed the amount of storage normally allocated for the user.  This folder is entirely up to the backup operator.  I personally have the /tmp areas captured by the tape libraries when they do the backups for my systems here, while I do not have them backed up for many of my corporate clients' systems because the /tmp is unused there.

Kendall

/tmp is optional.  That is why it is in neither of my lists.  Depending on the setup of the system, /tmp may contain session required information in the case of a crash (document recovery, etc) that may be able to be used to recover important files upon restore.  Some systems only use it for tracking information (CORBA objects, etc), while some systems that implement Quotas will allocate user storage there for large files that exceed the amount of storage normally allocated for the user.  This folder is entirely up to the backup operator.  I personally have the /tmp areas captured by the tape libraries when they do the backups for my systems here, while I do not have them backed up for many of my corporate clients' systems because the /tmp is unused there.

Kendall

That's why I didn't say to leave it out...just that it's safe to leave out.  But, yeah, you're right it really is an optional one. 

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

Which minimal window manager do you guys use? I'd like to install an alternative to cinnamon. I've used KDE most of my linux life, I'd like to try something different.

• Gr00vus said:

Which minimal window manager do you guys use? I'd like to install an alternative to cinnamon. I've used KDE most of my linux life, I'd like to try something different.

I have several desktop environments installed. For extreme minimal, I like to use BlackBox, but lxde is also good. I use MATE on the laptops over Fedora, and Cinnamon on my main Desktop. I used to use KDE some (especially when the idiots made Gnome3 the default) but KDE is just too heavy for my tastes. Kendall
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259

I have a problem with systems that build spyware into the basic os. Canononical has done that with their unity desktop. Having said that, Ubuntu based distros without the Unity desktop is probably one of the best jumping off points for multimedia and content creation since they have the best driver and 3d/multimedia support. I would look to a ubuntu based distro that doesn't use the Unity desktop however.

• Rogerbee said:

Could it be the only hope!?

Hope not!

CHEERS!

I sincerely wish you success in your quest Rogerbee. It would be so nice to get away from ms.

Lxde is my choice for minimal...BlackBox is just a little *too* minimal...

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Thanks for the info guys. I'll mount a more successful attempt later now I know exactly what I can get away with excluding.

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee said:

Thanks for the info guys. I'll mount a more successful attempt later now I know exactly what I can get away with excluding.

CHEERS!

Another good idea is to mount your home directory on a seporate partition. That way if you have a crash, or have to format, you wont lose all your personal data. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    edited December 2015

You can also use bootable CD/DVD or flash memory with Knoppix

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

and copy or fix any filesystem of Linux, ntfs or fat.

I use it all the time to rescue data from the computers with Windows or Linux.

Another useful program is Clonezilla:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonezilla

I use it to save whole system images snapshots to the external hard disk

and restore them, if the need arise.

Post edited by Artini on
  • mjc1016 said:

Heehee.  I spend >80% of my time using bash.  There are lots of times where I am using just the base non-GUI console (CTRL-ALT-F2).  How's that for really minimal?  :)

When it gets down to it, I really just use the GUI as a basic Window Manager.  The extra frills just end up getting in the way.

Kendall

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

You can check out your distros package manager for other desktop environments.Most of them will have a number of them to choose from, and you can have as many as you want installed at the same time.On the login screen will be a drop down menu to choose which one you want to use.You can just install all of them :)  that's what I did on my Debian install.

Knoppix is a good live DVD, it even comes with blender, that way you can model some stuff while you are waiting for the filesystem check to finish. :)

systemrescueCD is my choice for a bootable CD.Fast, has filessytem tools for most OSs', including Windows.It has testdisk, which is a partition/data recovery tool that can recover partitions/drives that have been deleted.

I use it as my installer for source based distros.

mjc1016 said:

Heehee.  I spend >80% of my time using bash.  There are lots of times where I am using just the base non-GUI console (CTRL-ALT-F2).  How's that for really minimal?  :)

When it gets down to it, I really just use the GUI as a basic Window Manager.  The extra frills just end up getting in the way.

Kendall

I was going to say 'if I'm going THAT minimal, I might as well just use bash.'. 

Interesting tips, I've just completed what I needed to with the Backup Tool and that will do me for the moment. I have a disk cleaner called BleachBit, what are your views on using them in Linux?

CHEERS!

Rogerbee said:

Interesting tips, I've just completed what I needed to with the Backup Tool and that will do me for the moment. I have a disk cleaner called BleachBit, what are your views on using them in Linux?

CHEERS!

Pointless. No really, they are.

Just use the disk tools that come with your installer.They do the job better.

When you delete a filesystem or a single file, the data isn't actually overwritten until that disk space is used for another write.

All those "disk cleaners" are mostly useless.

Gparted that comes with Mint is a much better tool and lot more advanced.

mjc1016 said:
    mjc1016 said:

Kendall

I was going to say 'if I'm going THAT minimal, I might as well just use bash.'.

zshell ;)

icecrmn said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Pointless. No really, they are.

Just use the disk tools that come with your installer.They do the job better.

When you delete a filesystem or a single file, the data isn't actually overwritten until that disk space is used for another write.

All those "disk cleaners" are mostly useless.

Gparted that comes with Mint is a much better tool and lot more advanced.

I'm not understanding that comment. What Gparted does is fundamentally different then Bleachbit. As to the comment on deleting a file, that is correct, unless one uses a program like Bleachbit's file shredder, in which the area is overwritten with either 0's or random patterns (usually the latter anymore.)

I don't see where Bleachbit is useless. While it may be redundant for advanced users who may have come up with their own methods for doing what it does, or don't care about that level of privacy control in a Linux environment, for those that do care it seems like a decent program.

As to dealing with malware, the best solution is to restore an uninfected image.

right, Gparted is partioning tool that has many features.

Bleachbit is  for deleteing things in a way thats supposed to make them unrecoverable.

In order to do that it would have to overwrite the free space on the drive with random garbage.

KDE comes with "Sweeper", thats supposed to do something similar.

To put it into context though.

The only time something like this would be of use is if the drive is being scaned on purpose to discover these deleted files.

I don't know of a malware that does this, but I'm sure one probably exists.

Laptop users should be using disk encryption to prevent this sort of thing in the event that the laptop is lost/stolen.

Disk Encryption would protect the whole drive, not just the deleted parts.

Desktop users would probably want to do something like this if they were discarding a hard drive for some reason, or returning it to a store.

Booting into a live cd and doing something like

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda

would probably suffice to wipe a drive and overwrite it with random garbage.

If you share your desktop computer with others, I would suggest using the encrypted user accounts feature, it will keep your privacy from the other users that don't have your username/passwords.

If you are the only person that uses that dekstop computer, it really won't matter a whole lot if you delete your cookies and internet surfing history.You are the only one thats going to see it anyway.

The tracking services will have already tracked you if the tracking cookies are permitted to start with.

So,,what I mean by useless is this.

1) Your drive would have to be scaned to look for deleted files intentionaly, not many things on the internet do that.This is a time comsuming process if the drive is very large, and normally requires admin/root access.

2) If you are the only person that uses that computer, you are the only one that sees your history anyway.Sure , some online tracking services will try to set cookies and check you surfing history.Don't allow those cookies, and don't have your browser keep a history.

edited December 2015

There are a number of points listed here, each of which that could be addressed in turn but I'll simplify it to my earlier statement of "While it may be redundant for advanced users who may have come up with their own methods." You have a system that you obviously prefer for your own reasons. I'll not address the details but rather simply put that not everyone views the world with your eyes, your preferences and your experiences.

Edit: Ok, I can't help myself... ;p

1: "dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda" is not the same as the algorithims for a secure wipe. To assume no one needs a true secure wipe is limited and mistaken. I did programming for various companies where I was working on code that was classed as 'mission critical.' I can assure you that I used a secure wipe after I finished the project.

2: There are cross site scripting hacks and others which can access other site's cookies and your browser history. The chance someone would get hit with one and what damage it could cause varies from almost non existent to who knows. Regardless of this, it can bring a bit of peace of mind to some, and as most people aren't system administrators with web design experience (i.e. have the requisite knowledge to be assured they were not victims...) this can be helpful.

3: Yes there is malware which combs through deleted files. If I place a rogue program on your system and it's using your resources during slow cycle times (if I choose to be somewhat stealthy) the only communication time required on the internet is the short results transfer time.

4: As to using an encrypted hard drive... that one has so many attack points... suffice it to say it is overkill for many people. For those that it isn't, they are going to have/need overlapping security mechanisms. A big one is that I've had on more then one occasion someone come to me to recover their data after a system fatal event where they were using an encrypted hard drive because someone convinced them they should (and even set it up usually) without taking into consideration this person was not hardened enough to make sure they kept proper backups. If the drive dies and it's not encrypted, all is not lost. The fatal mistake was not taking into account the end user's most likely risks, doing a proper risk/damage assessment. In other cases, usually in a business consulting role, I've seen where a client uses encrypted hard drives then has backups that are totally unsecure, making the risk factor actually higher then not having an encrypted drive in some cases. In short, simply saying 'encrypt the drive' without having a full set of system and environment processes for properly working in an encrypted drive situation can often be worse then no encryption.

I do agree that in a Linux environment especially, one traditionally has a more limited exposure to many of the issues listed and that there are other considerations such as limiting or quarntining risky behavior, etc... But programs like Bleachbit for some people do serve a purpose. I have figured out that Photoshop or Gimp aren't the end all be all photo editing program for many people as their needs are different. We all have different levels of expertise, needs, etc... and that is importan to keep in mind.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 2015

So you don't reckon I should use Bleachbit then? I just need a definitive yay or nay before uninstalling it.

I don't want to mess around with Linux anymore, I've got everything the way I want it now and the last thing I want to do is jeopardise that by doing things that I have little knowledge of. It works and that will do me.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

Unless you're worried about someone getting access to your harddrive and reconstructing the deleted data from it, you don't need it. The short version - I don't think you need it. 

Rogerbee said:

So you don't reckon I should use Bleachbit then? I just need a definitive yay or nay before uninstalling it.

I don't want to mess around with Linux anymore, I've got everything the way I want it now and the last thing I want to do is jeopardise that by doing things that I have little knowledge of. It works and that will do me.

CHEERS!

Ok, thanks for that, I'll uninstall it then.

All I need now is DS 4.9 and I'll be happy.

CHEERS!

Ok,

On a whim, I decided to install DS4.8. It all worked really well and DS loads and runs, save for one thing, my NVidia card doesn't show up in the Iray render settings and yet it's there listed under Preferences under Interface and Current Hardware Settings. What do I do to get DS to recognise the card so Iray uses it?

CHEERS!

edited December 2015

Hmm,

It would seem all is not well with the installation, DS crashes when you try to switch the viewport to Iray, it flagged up an access violation error to do with dzirayrenderer.dll. Any ideas!?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Rogerbee said:

Hmm,

It would seem all is not well with the installation, DS crashes when you try to switch the viewport to Iray, it flagged up an access violation error to do with dzirayrenderer.dll. Any ideas!?

CHEERS!

Iray is going to want direct access to the GPU.  I don't think that will be possible from within the WINE framework.  I do not have the time to investigate it further ATM, though.

Kendall

First, we need to make sure you have the driver from Nvidia installed.

Follow the instructions here

http://howtoeverything.net/linux/hardware/installing-nvidia-drivers-in-linux-mint

test again and see if that helps.

Well, uninstalled DS. Then I tried like crazy to install a later version of Wine, but could make head nor tail of how to do it, then I put the version of wine back that I knew I could easily install and then DS just refused to install, the CMS wouldn't install properly and then DS would crash due to kernel32.dll. How I got it going before when I can't now is completely beyond me.

If someone can take me step by step how to install a newer Wine and then install DS again I would be most grateful

CHEERS!